Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I don't know, seems you're kind of taking the villains' ideologies as the truth? I'm sure if you keep agreeing with the ecofascists the whole thing seems grim, but I don't think that's remotely true if you think they can and should be fought?

agreed, the game rewards the PC a lot by going gently caress nihilism constantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

dead gay comedy forums posted:

agreed, the game rewards the PC a lot by going gently caress nihilism constantly

Yeah it rules. Stormcat is unabashedly delighted when you articulate a refutation of Garou ideology as a whole.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Quote is not edit…or is it? ANSWERING TIGERRRRRR

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I don't know, seems you're kind of taking the villains' ideologies as the truth? I'm sure if you keep agreeing with the ecofascists the whole thing seems grim, but I don't think that's remotely true if you think they can and should be fought?

You are misunderstanding. I was trying to say I couldn't take the main villain seriously because he was being an edgy nihilist... while being a werewolf in a magic NASA space suit. I laughed out loud when I saw his illustration in the game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I feel like if you’re playing World of Darkness of all things you need to shed the bonds of cringe.

A werewolf in a magic nasa space suit is loving radical.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

JUST SAYING that you can easily get a PC tank that can smash through a bunch of armor, regenerate damage on the fly, readily available gifts that can make - among other things - regen aggravated damage and provide insane benefits, well if I were Mother Gaia I would be seriously tut-tutting my angry beastchildren about their fail status when their magic battery only requires getting hyped up

(from oWoD, the other splat that apparently is more ridiculous from what I have gathered is Mummy)

Mage.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
werewolf is for wooks
vampire is for goth
mage is for nerds
and mummy is for hoteps, any questions?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

impossible to not self-own/get owned by their immense and aggressive nerditry. Any mage with a sphere rating of 5 is just a trigger warning away to gently caress up things for everybody and themselves (which is appropriate)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

I feel like if you’re playing World of Darkness of all things you need to shed the bonds of cringe.

A werewolf in a magic nasa space suit is loving radical.

I couldn't stop lmaoing when I saw the douchebag

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

JUST SAYING that you can easily get a PC tank that can smash through a bunch of armor, regenerate damage on the fly, readily available gifts that can make - among other things - regen aggravated damage and provide insane benefits, well if I were Mother Gaia I would be seriously tut-tutting my angry beastchildren about their fail status when their magic battery only requires getting hyped up

(from oWoD, the other splat that apparently is more ridiculous from what I have gathered is Mummy)

Mage and maybe Demon in classic WoD are probably stronger. There's like 3 versions of Mummy in oWoD, but I think one from Mummy: the Resurrection would be close to unkillable but ultimately at or about the threat level of an average vampire? The Chronicles of Darkness version of Mummies are very powerful to start but run on limited battery life and lose strength over time.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
Played through as a huge nerd with no physical skills/attributes except running the gently caress away, constantly getting depowered by Rage hitting 0, still managed to get the Goodest End. Despite being the worst at being a werewolf my character romanced Nin in some kind of opposites attract deal.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Janissary Hop posted:

You are misunderstanding. I was trying to say I couldn't take the main villain seriously because he was being an edgy nihilist... while being a werewolf in a magic NASA space suit. I laughed out loud when I saw his illustration in the game.

Everything to do with Answering Tiger is more or less explicit as Ligotti homage. Ligotti’s whole schtick does crossbreed easily with various goth edgelord tendencies, of which eco-fascism is a major example.

But Eater of Names isn’t an edgelord in any meaningful sense, because he’s a true believer putting that belief into practice, not simply an irritant on social media.

In any event, his whole worldview (minus the woof spirituality) is reportedly somewhat common among irl high tech CS / venture capital folks in California. EoN’s rationalization is just another quasi-gnostic variation on Simulation Theory: the world is an unreal illusion. Also like tech ppl, he’s an accelerationist, intensifying his illusionary world in hopes of breaking the “greater“ simulation.

Put another way, EoN’s worldview isn’t really edgelord as such, but he is deluded. He’s serving the Wyrm bc he believes that once the Wyrm finally destroys this “false” reality, Gaia (who he believes is dead and indications to the contrary are fake) will be authentically reborn to start creating a new world from square one. So by his logic really he’s working for Gaia. It’s not clear to me if this is a common feeling among Black Spiral Dancers

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 8, 2024

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Buschmaki posted:

werewolf is for wooks
vampire is for goth
mage is for nerds
and mummy is for hoteps, any questions?

What is Demon for?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Everything to do with Answering Tiger is more or less explicit as Ligotti homage. Ligotti’s whole schtick does crossbreed easily with various goth edgelord tendencies, of which eco-fascism is a major example.

But Eater of Names isn’t an edgelord in any meaningful sense, because he’s a true believer putting that belief into practice, not simply an irritant on social media.

In any event, his whole worldview (minus the woof spirituality) is reportedly somewhat common among irl high tech CS / venture capital folks in California. EoN’s rationalization is just another quasi-gnostic variation on Simulation Theory: the world is an unreal illusion. Also like tech ppl, he’s an accelerationist, intensifying his illusionary world in hopes of breaking the “greater“ simulation.

Put another way, EoN’s worldview isn’t really edgelord as such, but he is deluded. He’s serving the Wyrm bc he believes that once the Wyrm finally destroys this “false” reality, Gaia (who he believes is dead and indications to the contrary are fake) will be authentically reborn to start creating a new world from square one. So by his logic really he’s working for Gaia. It’s not clear to me if this is a common feeling among Black Spiral Dancers

To your last point

Yes in Werewoof 5th Black Spiral Dancers mostly believe they are ending a cycle to usher n a rebirth

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

What is Demon for?

The kids who ran thru sprinklers with sheets of acid in their jeans pockets

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

To your last point

Yes in Werewoof 5th Black Spiral Dancers mostly believe they are ending a cycle to usher n a rebirth

It was honestly interesting to see the BSDs given more of a philosophy than in earlier editions, which is basically - to use a very well-worn criticism of the game that was not entirely inaccurate if reductive - Captain Planet's villains. And also tactics that aren't 'throw wave after wave of inbred Garou-born shocktroops until the caern falls.'

Anyway, I saw at least two references to Streets of Fire so 10/10 game.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

Mage and maybe Demon in classic WoD are probably stronger. There's like 3 versions of Mummy in oWoD, but I think one from Mummy: the Resurrection would be close to unkillable but ultimately at or about the threat level of an average vampire? The Chronicles of Darkness version of Mummies are very powerful to start but run on limited battery life and lose strength over time.

Mage's strength really depends on how your story teller handles paradox. Cause like, a mage doing anything with enough power to kill a werewolf, assuming them being about equal in strength, could give you enough paradox to send you to the Forbidden Zone forever, or maybe just be some silly thing that is funny for the rest of the game.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Silver Fangs are uber Litany boosters (mostly because it puts them on top) so Litany=good is their thing. This can also help if you want to smooch Melodie.

It feels like if you have a rating of 6 in something you'll always succeed, 5 if you've got a boosting Gift (Squirrel for Athletics, Butterfly for talking to humans, etc).

Pulling back the curtain on how skill checks are done based on the code of the game...

Difficulties are just compared directly to your "dice pool", no dice are rolled. And each check is either Easy , Moderate, Hard, or v_hard. These start at 2, 3, 4, 5 respectively. These difficulties increase by 1 step in the mid game, and again in late game. Mid game starts at Chapter 7, and Late game starts at chapter 10.

Checks can also involve additional modifiers, but those are on a per check basis, or your Rage effecting social rolls and stuff like that. But the above thing is how the game treats base line checks.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

CainFortea posted:

Mage's strength really depends on how your story teller handles paradox. Cause like, a mage doing anything with enough power to kill a werewolf, assuming them being about equal in strength, could give you enough paradox to send you to the Forbidden Zone forever, or maybe just be some silly thing that is funny for the rest of the game.

Which is a reflection of the way the game itself works - reality is fickle. I've always been fascinated with the way the community around and play of Mage reinforces its core conceits. Mage is just magechat, only the posters get to use the poo poo they're arguing about.

The Blood Treachery supplement about the second Hermetic/Tremere war had a lot of dumb poo poo in it, but one of the components that rang absolutely true was the idea that what really dragged the war out was the fact that a bunch of Hermetics got to fight vampires in Hermetic sanctums, where all magic was coincidental and they could go full ham without blowback from Paradox.

People talk about the impossibility of a Mage video game, but now that we have ChatGPT, I bet you could not only make a game that supports Mage, but have it be just as internally inconsistent and maddening as the tabletop version!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pulling back the curtain on how skill checks are done based on the code of the game...

Difficulties are just compared directly to your "dice pool", no dice are rolled. And each check is either Easy , Moderate, Hard, or v_hard. These start at 2, 3, 4, 5 respectively. These difficulties increase by 1 step in the mid game, and again in late game. Mid game starts at Chapter 7, and Late game starts at chapter 10.

Checks can also involve additional modifiers, but those are on a per check basis, or your Rage effecting social rolls and stuff like that. But the above thing is how the game treats base line checks.

[/quote]

That looks about what I'd figured. How do the relationships work? Like if you want to smooch somebody I'm pretty sure you need three dots with them. I've heard that you get a bonus with certain traits - like Nin and Humans Must Understand - but I'm not sure that's true. I think taking those responses just increases the person's relationship stat.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

CottonWolf posted:

What is Demon for?

burzum fans (neonazis)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

That looks about what I'd figured. How do the relationships work? Like if you want to smooch somebody I'm pretty sure you need three dots with them. I've heard that you get a bonus with certain traits - like Nin and Humans Must Understand - but I'm not sure that's true. I think taking those responses just increases the person's relationship stat.

I haven't looked at that aspect a whole lot really, but i've seen two different methods used to track romance stuff, neither of which used convictions.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I can envision a Demon or Mummy Choice of Games game would be conceptually "neat" as like a kind of Gordon Gecko/daytime Patrick Bateman thing, but I couldn't imagine the emotional toll of the time spent with those settings living in my creative headspace and actually banging one out and selling more than 2 copies :whitewater:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Im happy Choice of Games is kind of selling out a little by taking on liscencing stuff. their engine seems really straightforward to work with if you have the writing chops, but this Kyle Marquis also is doing neat things with the technical aspects. strangely, some of the older ones Ive played were weirdly poor about reactivity, choices mattering, which was odd because I loved all the weird rear end endings and game overs in the old Choose Your Own Adventure line of books??

his author bio says he is in Western Massachusetts which explains a lot, really

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

wizard2 posted:

his author bio says he is in Western Massachusetts which explains a lot, really

This threw me at first because the geography of the game, particularly in Northampton, doesn’t really conform to reality but the vibes of the locations are pretty much perfectly on and in the end that’s what really counts.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PantsOptional posted:

This threw me at first because the geography of the game, particularly in Northampton, doesn’t really conform to reality but the vibes of the locations are pretty much perfectly on and in the end that’s what really counts.

This is a proud WW tradition dating back decades. In a Changeling (Dreaming) book covering Ireland and the UK they appeared to think you could just walk anywhere on the islands.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
What sort of actions give you honor? Glory and wisdom are pretty straight forward, but I vaguely remember honor being a little more obtuse.

I didn't think to screenshot the in game explanation and for some dumb reason it's not included in the journal.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

PantsOptional posted:

i havent finished this game yet, but if they really want the vibes to be immaculate you should have to try going anywhere during Blarney and start hating young people

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

What sort of actions give you honor? Glory and wisdom are pretty straight forward, but I vaguely remember honor being a little more obtuse.

I didn't think to screenshot the in game explanation and for some dumb reason it's not included in the journal.

It is, it's just in a really weird place. You get honour for doing things to make the pack work better together.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 9, 2024

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Where Glory is straightforward daring and Wisdom is recon / research, I think Honor is about supporting / coordinating with packmates. Or that’s my assumption based on the nature of the tribes which prize it

E;fb

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

:tipshat:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Has anybody tried Letting the Tiger eat and replace the caern?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Buschmaki posted:

i havent finished this game yet, but if they really want the vibes to be immaculate you should have to try going anywhere during Blarney and start hating young people

Ehhh, it's fine as long as you stay out of one particular area.

So of course I had to take the bus through there that day a few years back.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Now that the game has stopped resetting my progress every few days, I finally finished it.

I can not believe how much I loved this game. I haven't played a text adventure like this since maybe junior high. I am shocked at how much fun I had with this and how much I can't wait to do it again.

Favorite accomplishment: bringing back swing dancing, whether I wanted to or not.

Vanishing Point is maybe my favorite movie, so the throwaway joke referencing it makes this feel like they made it just for me.

Dawgstar posted:

Has anybody tried Letting the Tiger eat and replace the caern?

I did! Or at least I think I did. Tiger is confusing as gently caress. I got a wildly cool ending where I basically saved the world. I hope!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Geekboy posted:

Now that the game has stopped resetting my progress every few days, I finally finished it.

I can not believe how much I loved this game. I haven't played a text adventure like this since maybe junior high. I am shocked at how much fun I had with this and how much I can't wait to do it again.

Favorite accomplishment: bringing back swing dancing, whether I wanted to or not.

Vanishing Point is maybe my favorite movie, so the throwaway joke referencing it makes this feel like they made it just for me.

I did! Or at least I think I did. Tiger is confusing as gently caress. I got a wildly cool ending where I basically saved the world. I hope!

With an outcome THAT good I suspect you got Tiger’d. But you could check your achievements to be sure.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

With an outcome THAT good I suspect you got Tiger’d. But you could check your achievements to be sure.

The last achievements I got were Ride the Tiger, Glory Hound, and Second Quest. So it doesn't look that way.

edit: I suppose I exaggerated slightly, but for real end-game spoiler here I resurrected the spirits of most of the pack from the last centuries and they're wandering the world, righting wrongs and helping other packs get the kind of unity I fostered in ours. "Ghost werewolves all around the world" wasn't necessarily "I saved the world," but it sure felt like an ending where we had a much better chance than when we started.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 10, 2024

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah wow, I just wrote a book for other werewolves about how not to get hosed up by simulation spirits and Nazis.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

We also did that, just ... after all the big stuff.

I'm doing a very physical heavy run now because my first was a charismatic Glass Walker. It's already funny how much harder some of it is.

I almost died just from the cold before I met Elton.

I'm really glad I let this thread talk me into buying it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah wow, I just wrote a book for other werewolves about how not to get hosed up by simulation spirits and Nazis.

That's honestly the key to running a good Apocalypse game in my <cough> years of experience. It's grim and lovely but the PCs have the potential to be the bright spot. Writer understood the assignment.

Geekboy posted:

We also did that, just ... after all the big stuff.

I'm doing a very physical heavy run now because my first was a charismatic Glass Walker. It's already funny how much harder some of it is.

I almost died just from the cold before I met Elton.

I'm really glad I let this thread talk me into buying it.

I just finished a brawler Black Fury ahroun run picking only stuff that made sense for the character in my brain and while it started hard it wound up being smooth as silk because eventually you get a lot more, say, STR+Combat rolls. I also wound up with six Gifts which is a new record.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I absolutely love dumb little easter eggs like this

edit: for folks who don't know the world of darkness VE is Void Engineer, one of the mage bad guy factions, only they're the least bad and I think had split off from the Technocracy in M20. They're basically super science space adventurers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Soonmot posted:

I absolutely love dumb little easter eggs like this

edit: for folks who don't know the world of darkness VE is Void Engineer, one of the mage bad guy factions, only they're the least bad and I think had split off from the Technocracy in M20. They're basically super science space adventurers.

lmao