Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Jizznastics posted:

I have to say, I am upset about her passing, but I really just want another cat around again. You think mabye a kitten would be good?

If you have a lot of time to devote to a young animal, have a look in a shelter for a pair of pretty little baby kitties. And move all band-aids so they can't eat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Jizznastics posted:

I'm sure anybody can sound like an idiot/troll when they have no idea what their talking about. However I'm glad to see cat owners and experts alike would rather throw down judgements and accusations rather then bring me up to speed.

ETA: HA, your post history.

Well when you pop in here talking about training a cat to exclusively eliminate outside of your house because 'litter boxes smell like rear end', debate the necessity of raising your animals out of infancy, pretty much seem to ignore the advice and logic presented you in two threads regarding said issues, disappear for a month, pop back in to say oh btw yes this cat I all of a sudden have ate some band aids will it get sick and then suddenly this cat was put to sleep due to horrific hidden medical ailments do you think a kitten would be ok to get NOW - it seems rather uninspiring of our confidence.

Sorry about your cat, I guess. No, I don't think a kitten would necessarily be more appropriate.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating

TVs Ian posted:

ETA: HA, your post history.

Well when you pop in here talking about training a cat to exclusively eliminate outside of your house because 'litter boxes smell like rear end', debate the necessity of raising your animals out of infancy, pretty much seem to ignore the advice and logic presented you in two threads regarding said issues, disappear for a month, pop back in to say oh btw yes this cat I all of a sudden have ate some band aids will it get sick and then suddenly this cat was put to sleep due to horrific hidden medical ailments do you think a kitten would be ok to get NOW - it seems rather uninspiring of our confidence.

I realize now I may have come off as disagreeable, but I always like to play devils advocate. Plus I never had a chance to let me cat releive itself outside. I think I'm gonna hold off on those kittens, or another older cat, until I can solve my racoon problems.

Jizznastics fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 1, 2012

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Jizznastics posted:

I realize now I may have come off as disagreeable, but I always like to play devils advocate. Plus I never had a chance to let me cat releive itself outside. I think I'm gonna hold off on those kittens, or another older cat, until I can solve my racoon problems.

Just adopt a raccoon. They poo poo outside all the time and can fend for themselves.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
I'd rather hack one away with a machete then adopt one. Those assholes have caused me nothing but hard work and sleepless nights of the years. Plus rabid ones are popping up all around my neigborhood.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Were you the poster who had raccoon issues because the garbage was outside in flimsy plastic bins? Did you try something else? You definitely want to get that sorted out, yeah.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
Yeah, I'm still on the look out for a permanent solution for them.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Jizznastics posted:

Yeah, I'm still on the look out for a permanent solution for them.

Its called a gun.

(Depending on your local laws.)

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
I can't, this couple next door are really weird and over assuming. They stay up late drinking every night, if they saw me on my balcony with my .22 they'd call the police.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

You can explain to them you're trying to take care of the raccoon problem. No one wants rabid animals attempting to maul their pets and tearing open their trash.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

e. Y'know what, the raccoon problem is probably a derail. Sorry! :shobon:

Andrias Scheuchzeri fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 2, 2012

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
Our cat had a bad tooth and we got it extracted two days ago. The first day post-surgery was just terrible, she was so hungry and thirsty but wouldn't take more than a bite of soft food or a few drops of water because it hurt so much.

We tried a small ice pack but she didn't care for it, then my husband hit on the idea of using a soft cloth dipped in ice water and just doing a compress for a few minutes, and that did help but she was still absolutely miserable.

Today she is much better, thank goodness, but given that I have older cats and this may not be the last extraction we deal with, is there anything I can ask the vet for that will make the day or two after the surgery less painful?

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They didn't give you any pain meds to take home? You can ask about that next time; when my guy had some teeth out we were sent home with stuff to give him. They weren't free, of course, so maybe your vet is used to not giving that out because people don't want the extra cost, but I'd ask.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

They didn't give you any pain meds to take home? You can ask about that next time; when my guy had some teeth out we were sent home with stuff to give him. They weren't free, of course, so maybe your vet is used to not giving that out because people don't want the extra cost, but I'd ask.

More that they are paranoid about pain medication abuse, I suspect, but if we have to do this again, I will most definitely insist, even if that means bringing the cat back in to have the medication administered at the office. No way will I put a cat through a day like that again if I can help it.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
I doubt they didn't offer pain meds because they think you are going to abuse them; even if they gave you opioids, the amounts needed for a cat for a day or two are pretty small compared to what a human would take, and as far as I know the one I'm used to sending home with cats isn't a big target for abuse. It's not like the cat gets a bottle of Vicodin.

They may not have been expecting this much pain post-op, and you are always within your rights to call the vet the next day and ask for something if you think it's needed. Some animals just respond differently than others to similar procedures so pain level is not always predictable. Cost may also be an issue--the pain control options for cats aren't great, and the ones that work tend to be expensive.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
Looking for some advice on grooming/shedding. My puppy tricked me by not shedding much when I adopted him at ~6 months old, and now at ~10 months old, the shedding is out of control. He's an unidentifiable mutt, definitely double coated, and his coat is pretty labby (about 2" long, wavy, thick, and coarse along his back and rump; short and soft everywhere else).

Question 1: When I pet him a while and create a giant fur tumbleweed on my couch, it looks like its 90% undercoat. Is he blowing coat? I'm used to seeing dogs with those huge tufts of dead undercoat all over them, and he doesn't have any of that poo poo. Maybe I am just brushing him enough (daily) for that to not happen. Basically, please tell me he's blowing coat and he won't shed this much year round. :ohdear:

Question 2: I have bought a million brushes/combs and I don't feel like any of them are doing exactly what I want. The thing that seems to work best is this undercoat rake, but it has blades. He likes it much more than a furminator, but it cuts a ton of his topcoat by the time I get the undercoat brushed out. What can I use daily that won't shred his coat to bits? Or is it okay to use something with a blade daily as long as I don't make him bald?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Yeah, puppies hardly shed at all. This year my Aussie is shedding SO MUCH, CONSTANTLY and fur is EVERYWHERE despite frequent brushing and sweeping. Ugh. It wasn't nearly this bad last year. The Chihuahua is shedding too, but luckily her fur is less noticeable.

I doubt he's blowing his coat at this time of year. Sorry.

My favourite tool for shedders is a shedding blade. It looks like a saw that someone looped back over itself. Have you tried one? Personally I wouldn't be too worried about cutting the topcoat a bit while brushing him out, but I don't have any hands on experience with dogs with labby coats. I wouldn't have a problem using a shedding blade daily.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Jizznastics posted:

It's more 'dumb/crazy' than 'disagreeable', but yes, please do. Then solve your other problems :)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Vet said that Max will probably need some teeth removed while he's out for neutering surgery next Friday. Will he be able to eat his normal dry food afterwards or should I grab some wet food for when he's recovering? I'm sure the vet will tell us when we drop him off but if I can get some during our weekend shopping this weekend that'd be more convenient. Plus Petsmart is having a sale :10bux:

Also, regarding my question a while ago about calling now for Christmas boarding, the boarding places did act like I was insane. Oh well. I have a Dogtopia interview set up for Mr. Max at the end of the month to get him in their system (assuming they accept him, but he's such a good dog I can't imagine they wouldn't). Anyone have any experiences with Dogtopia? I've heard they're really awesome from my coworker but if anyone has any experience with them (good or bad) I'd like to hear about it.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

Crooked Booty posted:

Looking for some advice on grooming/shedding. My puppy tricked me by not shedding much when I adopted him at ~6 months old, and now at ~10 months old, the shedding is out of control. He's an unidentifiable mutt, definitely double coated, and his coat is pretty labby (about 2" long, wavy, thick, and coarse along his back and rump; short and soft everywhere else).

Question 1: When I pet him a while and create a giant fur tumbleweed on my couch, it looks like its 90% undercoat. Is he blowing coat? I'm used to seeing dogs with those huge tufts of dead undercoat all over them, and he doesn't have any of that poo poo. Maybe I am just brushing him enough (daily) for that to not happen. Basically, please tell me he's blowing coat and he won't shed this much year round. :ohdear:

Question 2: I have bought a million brushes/combs and I don't feel like any of them are doing exactly what I want. The thing that seems to work best is this undercoat rake, but it has blades. He likes it much more than a furminator, but it cuts a ton of his topcoat by the time I get the undercoat brushed out. What can I use daily that won't shred his coat to bits? Or is it okay to use something with a blade daily as long as I don't make him bald?
Since he's a puppy he might blow his puppy coat right now. But as I've only owned intact bitches at that age, I can't very well speculate about a neutered male. Our experience here in the land of intact dogs is that breeds with undercoat shed somewhat according to seasons (males) and according to their seasons (females). And that after you fix them they shed constantly and may not blow their coats fully at all.

My favorite brush so far is a flea comb as it pulls out the undercoat quite gently and the hair sticks to the brush so not too much of it becomes airborne.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Speaking of flea combs - I was just casually combing Hugo with a flea comb (which we use as a normal comb because he seems to like it) and I found an actual flea. Both cats were dosed with Advantage earlier this week (maybe Tues/Weds?) because I'd gotten some bites on my legs. I didn't see any dead fleas in their sleeping spots after I dosed them, but now 4-5 days later there's this random flea on Hugo. It seemed kind of slow and woozy when I picked it off him and squished it.

So, is this likely to be a woozy flea from the Advantage or is it possible he's picked up a couple of passengers while outside briefly, even though I JUST deflead him?

Also how often are you allowed to use topical flea treatments?

:tinfoil: fleas..

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Depending on what it's like outside, it's entirely possible to pick up a couple fleas. Even indoor cats can randomly attract a couple that you bring in from the outside yourself.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
If it was woozy it was likely feeling the effects of the Advantage and dying. You generally use topical flea products monthly; read the box for complete instructions.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

My dog has started showing signs of separation anxiety. He was fine when we first adopted him, but the more attached he's gotten to us the more upset he gets when we leave. He doesn't do anything destructive or annoying while we're gone like barking his head off or scratching, but he absolutely refuses to go in his crate when we're getting ready to go to work or out somewhere. We've fed him in his crate and put him in there while we're home and he's fine and happy with it, but when we're leaving the house he gets upset and no amount of bribery will convince him to go in his crate. He's never been left in there alone for more than a couple hours and we always give him a kong to play with and make sure he has a nice comfy blanket to lay on and water to drink.

The vet and shelter volunteers agree that his teeth are a disaster due to chewing on a cage, could he be associating being put in his crate with his former owners locking him in a cage for entirely too long? If so, how do we fix this? He always gets a treat as we leave and we're planning on doing a lot of short comings and goings with him in his crate to reassure him that we'll always come back for him, is there anything else we can do? He's a really good dog in all other regards and we're considering just not crating him during the day, but in events where he needs to be crated I don't want it to turn into a huge stressful ordeal.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My dog has started showing signs of separation anxiety. He was fine when we first adopted him, but the more attached he's gotten to us the more upset he gets when we leave. He doesn't do anything destructive or annoying while we're gone like barking his head off or scratching, but he absolutely refuses to go in his crate when we're getting ready to go to work or out somewhere. We've fed him in his crate and put him in there while we're home and he's fine and happy with it, but when we're leaving the house he gets upset and no amount of bribery will convince him to go in his crate. He's never been left in there alone for more than a couple hours and we always give him a kong to play with and make sure he has a nice comfy blanket to lay on and water to drink.

The vet and shelter volunteers agree that his teeth are a disaster due to chewing on a cage, could he be associating being put in his crate with his former owners locking him in a cage for entirely too long? If so, how do we fix this? He always gets a treat as we leave and we're planning on doing a lot of short comings and goings with him in his crate to reassure him that we'll always come back for him, is there anything else we can do? He's a really good dog in all other regards and we're considering just not crating him during the day, but in events where he needs to be crated I don't want it to turn into a huge stressful ordeal.

I would suggest moving the crate to a different location (bonus if it's currently in a low trafficked location and you move it to a more trafficked location like a living room) and then start fresh with crate games. Do that for a while and keep putting him in there for meals and when you're not going out. That did the trick for our dog, who doesn't really have separation anxiety, but hates us leaving and felt left out when her crate was in a room all by herself (even though she's rarely in there when we're home).

If that doesn't work, then you at least know you have a bigger problem, possibly relating to the former owners, and you'll need a more creative solution or even professional help.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Is he reliable enough on house breaking and not inappropriately chewing things that you would consider not leaving him crated? Have you thought of an ex-pet if he must be confined, or plastic lattice style baby gates?

daynip
Jan 13, 2010
My boyfriend and I found a black and white kitten a couple of hours ago outside his home. This little guy is pretty darn skinny and he/she cries a lot (we actually haven't checked to see what sex the kitten is, so we'll just say it's a "he"). He's super sweet and I can already feel myself getting attached to him, but there is no way we can keep him. We moved back with our parents after college and we are renting out a room for our own cats. All our money is going towards rent, food, toys..etc until we can get a job. Our parents are super against cats (our whole town is actually), so finding this little guy a home is kinda impossible. We have a huge cat problem here, BUT, I'm trying to stay optimistic. The main plan is to drop him off at a "no kill shelter" if room is available. The thing is, the place is already overflowing with cats and I am not sure if they will want him. The other unfortunate thing is that the kitten risks getting sick from other cats (our own cats got pretty sick from boarding there & they were up to date on shots) and I have heard that kittens die there from this. I'm just worried that it will be too much for this skinny (and possibly sick?) kitten. The other thing I thought about doing is looking for someone to take him in. I already put an ad up on craiglist and I am planning to ask friends and family + put up flyers. Obviously, there are majors cons to this since the kitten remains outside in horrible weather (we live in a desert so it can be up to 120 degrees outside), traffic and stray/escaped dogs. There is shade and we are providing food and water.

I'm pretty stressed out about this since I want the best for the kitten. I was hoping someone could help me figure out the best thing to do. It depresses me like crazy that I can't do more. If I had my own place, I wouldn't think twice about fostering him. I think my boyfriend might be willing to drive anywhere near our town (Yuma, San Diego), if any goons would like to take this lil guy (or possibly point to better no kill shelters). It just surprises me how comfortable he is around people. We are so used to cats/kittens running away.

Thanks for your time.

daynip fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 8, 2012

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I'm hoping his being particularly bad with it today was due to him having to stay with a dog sitter this weekend while we were out of town for a day and a half and still being upset about that, in which case we have a different problem to address than the crate. We'll see how he is for the rest of the week, he might've still been in "oh yay you didn't forget about me!" super attached mode still. Right now his crate is in a corner of our living room where he can watch my chinchillas (a favorite activity of his, he's decided his job is to make sure they stay in their cages) and he can see out our window.

I'm considering getting a baby gate and keeping him in the kitchen during the day so he has more room to move around and stuff and if he has an accident the tile floor will be much easier to clean. He's really good about not breaking stuff and is house trained so we might just let him roam freely during the day and see how that goes. He doesn't even chew on his own toys or his bone (bad teeth that need to be pulled, getting that fixed on Friday) so the possibility of him chewing on my stuff is slim to none.

My one concern is leaving him alone with the chinchillas, not so much that he'd try to eat them but sometimes he gets really excited and gets the zoomies and I'd hate for him to accidentally knock over one of their cages. But he only weighs 35 pounds and their cages are around 50 pounds so I think he'd have to seriously try to knock them over.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
Probably a stupid question, but here goes.
My dog spends maybe two hours a day outside playing in our small yard. This morning I noticed this red, irritated bump on his ankle. Should I take him to the vet for them to look at it? It doesn't seem to bother him and he's leaving it alone.

I am that neurotic dog owner who rushes to the vet every time he bumps against something. :sigh:

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

daynip posted:

My boyfriend and I found a black and white kitten a couple of hours ago outside his home. This little guy is pretty darn skinny and he/she cries a lot (we actually haven't checked to see what sex the kitten is, so we'll just say it's a "he"). He's super sweet and I can already feel myself getting attached to him, but there is no way we can keep him. We moved back with our parents after college and we are renting out a room for our own cats. All our money is going towards rent, food, toys..etc until we can get a job. Our parents are super against cats (our whole town is actually), so finding this little guy a home is kinda impossible. We have a huge cat problem here, BUT, I'm trying to stay optimistic. The main plan is to drop him off at a "no kill shelter" if room is available. The thing is, the place is already overflowing with cats and I am not sure if they will want him. The other unfortunate thing is that the kitten risks getting sick from other cats (our own cats got pretty sick from boarding there & they were up to date on shots) and I have heard that kittens die there from this. I'm just worried that it will be too much for this skinny (and possibly sick?) kitten. The other thing I thought about doing is looking for someone to take him in. I already put an ad up on craiglist and I am planning to ask friends and family + put up flyers. Obviously, there are majors cons to this since the kitten remains outside in horrible weather (we live in a desert so it can be up to 120 degrees outside), traffic and stray/escaped dogs. There is shade and we are providing food and water.

I'm pretty stressed out about this since I want the best for the kitten. I was hoping someone could help me figure out the best thing to do. It depresses me like crazy that I can't do more. If I had my own place, I wouldn't think twice about fostering him. I think my boyfriend might be willing to drive anywhere near our town (Yuma, San Diego), if any goons would like to take this lil guy (or possibly point to better no kill shelters). It just surprises me how comfortable he is around people. We are so used to cats/kittens running away.

Thanks for your time.

Where is the kitten now? Can you estimate the age or take a picture so that we can?

If it's unweaned and doesn't have access to KMR it probably only has a few hours left, and this should be considered an emergency in terms of immediate care. Kittens should not be skinny. If it's eating the food you gave it, then you have more time. Call the no-kills in your area - all of them - and tell them what you found. Kittens are generally very adoptable if they're healthy. Examine the kitten thoroughly so you can give the shelters information: age, sex (not really a big deal), and then health issues: does it have fleas? Weepy/goopy eyes? A runny nose or cough? Diarrhea? Is it lethargic?

Sick kittens almost never make it. It's one of the hardest parts of being in rescue. But like I said, healthy kittens are very adoptable and you'll probably be able to find someone who will take the little guy. Maybe post in the pets section on cl asking for local help/advice or a foster home?

If the kitten appears ill you may need to rush him to the vet, let us know how it goes.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm hoping his being particularly bad with it today was due to him having to stay with a dog sitter this weekend while we were out of town for a day and a half and still being upset about that.

Self-quoting because I'm about 90% sure this was the problem now.

Today I came home and he was his normal "oh yay you're home let's go for a walk!" self and had no issues being put in his crate :) I'll just make sure to do some crate games whenever I bring him home from a dogsitter.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Self-quoting because I'm about 90% sure this was the problem now.

Today I came home and he was his normal "oh yay you're home let's go for a walk!" self and had no issues being put in his crate :) I'll just make sure to do some crate games whenever I bring him home from a dogsitter.

Yeah dogs always seem to get a little weird if they go away (either to a kennel or pet sitter). My dog acts like he has no idea where his bed is, where he sleeps usually etc. I like to have people pet sit him at home, if that's at all possible. Maybe he'll be less funky then?

Either way, never hurts to build the value of the crate.

daynip
Jan 13, 2010

InEscape posted:

Where is the kitten now? Can you estimate the age or take a picture so that we can?

If it's unweaned and doesn't have access to KMR it probably only has a few hours left, and this should be considered an emergency in terms of immediate care. Kittens should not be skinny. If it's eating the food you gave it, then you have more time. Call the no-kills in your area - all of them - and tell them what you found. Kittens are generally very adoptable if they're healthy. Examine the kitten thoroughly so you can give the shelters information: age, sex (not really a big deal), and then health issues: does it have fleas? Weepy/goopy eyes? A runny nose or cough? Diarrhea? Is it lethargic?

Sick kittens almost never make it. It's one of the hardest parts of being in rescue. But like I said, healthy kittens are very adoptable and you'll probably be able to find someone who will take the little guy. Maybe post in the pets section on cl asking for local help/advice or a foster home?

If the kitten appears ill you may need to rush him to the vet, let us know how it goes.

The little kitten is outside - he's lying down near the door and cries a lot when we enter and exit (he's lonely) :(. He looks about 3 months old. We don't see anything wrong with him besides a weird noise (cough?) after he finishes his meow. The only places around our area is the humane society, animal control (?) and the shelter I mentioned (which is "no kill"). We haven't found his poop yet so we'll look out for it. He ate a whole can of fancy feast last night and my bf's dad brought him a bigger can of 9lives in the morning. Unfortunately, our area is not huge on animals and many people believe that animals should be kept outside & they aren't big on having them fixed. I'll keep trying to find him a home, but I know he'd have a better chance somewhere else than here. Our two shelters are so desperate for cat adoptions, that cats can be adopted for $25 and kittens for $50 (this is at Petco too). Dogs are very popular here though. I spoke to my sister who has worked at the shelter and she said that black and black & white cats are hardly adopted. It makes me sad since he's so awesome.

daynip fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 9, 2012

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Betazoid posted:

Probably a stupid question, but here goes.
My dog spends maybe two hours a day outside playing in our small yard. This morning I noticed this red, irritated bump on his ankle. Should I take him to the vet for them to look at it? It doesn't seem to bother him and he's leaving it alone.

I am that neurotic dog owner who rushes to the vet every time he bumps against something. :sigh:

how old is your dog and what breed?

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Topoisomerase posted:

how old is your dog and what breed?

He is about a year and a half and a mutt. He's just under 30 lbs, probably a mix of beagle/dachshund/who knows what. This was taken when he was about a year old.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I got my cat, Memo, to the vet. I posted about her a few weeks ago about her hair loss and scabs. The vet agreed it's some really bad allergies, gave her a shot, and told me to come back in a few weeks for a new one if it looks like she will need it. For the first two days, Memo wouldn't come out of my parents' room except in the early morning to eat, and was upset but now she's very active, happy, and not covered in scabs. :3:

However, I may have another issue! I have a young cat, about a year old now, Olivia, who just loves to play. Memo will play with her sometimes, but the problem is with my mother's cat, PuppyCat. PC is very anti-social and hates the other two cats but Olivia harasses her. She goes into my parents' room where PC stays and fights with her at night, chases her all over the room, etc. It keeps my mom up, but the biggest problem is that just today, Olivia went into their room, to the spot on the window balcony thing that PC likes to sleep and pissed right there. She has never done this before.

Now, my mom could close the door and avoid this but it's two sliding doors and the cats will bang at the door all day and all night to get inside. My father has cancer and needs his rest so is there anything I can do about this cat rivalry? I'm just a little upset and somewhat annoyed that Olivia went and took a piss on the window just to irritate PC.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Betazoid posted:

He is about a year and a half and a mutt. He's just under 30 lbs, probably a mix of beagle/dachshund/who knows what. This was taken when he was about a year old.

It couldn't hurt to get it looked at, especially if it changes in size or color. I can't tell from the picture if it's raised or not, but dogs get all kinds of lumps and bumps that can range from bug bite to cancer, so when in doubt it's always best to have a vet look at it.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Topoisomerase posted:

It couldn't hurt to get it looked at, especially if it changes in size or color. I can't tell from the picture if it's raised or not, but dogs get all kinds of lumps and bumps that can range from bug bite to cancer, so when in doubt it's always best to have a vet look at it.

Why did you have to say the c-word? Puppy is going to the vet in the morning. They must love me there. I would give anything for my pets, though. If there was something wrong that I could have caught and had treated, I would never get over it.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Betazoid posted:

Why did you have to say the c-word? Puppy is going to the vet in the morning. They must love me there. I would give anything for my pets, though. If there was something wrong that I could have caught and had treated, I would never get over it.

Your dog is young and not of a breed susceptible to it, so I wouldn't worry too much about that! Just mentioning that skin masses are pretty common and undiagnosable by just looking at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

daynip posted:

Unfortunately, our area is not huge on animals and many people believe that animals should be kept outside & they aren't big on having them fixed. I'll keep trying to find him a home, but I know he'd have a better chance somewhere else than here.

Do you have a better area within reasonable driving distance? I know the kind of prevailing mentality you're talking about, having lived in rural and usually poor areas for most of my life. When I've had an animal I need to rehome, I generally contact shelters and rescues in nearby cities that tend to have a different attitude towards animals.

You might want to try calling around to various shelters outside of your immediate area. Even if you can't afford to drive him there right now, in my state a lot of rescues have a network of volunteers that can ferry critters around. Posting to Craigslist in other cities might also yield results.

Worst case scenario, see if you can find a low-cost or free way to get him neutered (low-income vouchers, feral trap and release programs, even talking directly to local vets and explaining the situation can work) and put him back outside. I'm big on indoor cats, but I'd rather see a fixed cat living outside then taking him to a shelter where he's probably just going to be euthanized. Leave out water and food for him (even if it's just cheap Walmart food) and you'll already be going above and beyond.

Remember that there are always going to be animals you can't help. Do what you can for this guy but you've already done more than most people just by taking the time to look for a home, so try not to feel bad about what you can't do. Even if your only option winds up being to take him to the shelter, don't feel bad. Even if he's not adopted he'll get fed and kept out of the elements and humanely euthanized. It's not something anyone likes but you also aren't responsible for the cat overpopulation problem.

edit: If you're comfortable posting your general location people here might be able to help you with some specific avenues to pursue.

Betazoid posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I had a dog who had a bump like that out of nowhere. The vet examined it and basically went, "meh, it's just a blemish. Keep an eye on it and bring her back if it bothers her or changes." Eventually it grew into this really gross mass but it was still totally benign and we eventually just snipped it off, which was not expensive. I've had other dogs develop various random lumps and bumps, and so far all but one have been benign (and the one that was cancer was on an old dog). I think your odds of it being something small and/or treatable are pretty good.