Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Jaguars! posted:

:rolleye:
You only need one eye to survey! (unless you're using a stereoscopic rangefinder)

I was having a look through last night and they seem to have disappeared off of youtube as well. The first game is all screenshots! here's an example from in the middle of the action.

I'm pretty sure it was my squad that claimed that Shermy.

After overall CO bawled me out for putting my guys where I put them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm writing up my retrospective and general outline of my thought process (hint: It's just me repeating gently caress you Fangz for 3 pages)

That first battle was magical :allears:

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_lgR_VOZVE

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

:allears:

E: This brings back memories. I J4LPs.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Ah my finest hour.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Do these games model air/tree bursting shells?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

That actually came up in the original observer thread when that video was posted, I think the answer is yes, yes it does :v:

I'm also pretty sure I've seen AA shells that miss whatever ground target they're aiming at burst mid-air.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Generation Internet posted:

I'm also pretty sure I've seen AA shells that miss whatever ground target they're aiming at burst mid-air.

They should ricochet off the ground and continue until they hit something, unless the munitions are designed to burst in the air.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

They should ricochet off the ground and continue until they hit something, unless the munitions are designed to burst in the air.

I'm pretty sure most HE anti-air ammunition will explode mid-air.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Generation Internet posted:

I'm pretty sure most HE anti-air ammunition will explode mid-air.

Depending on the country, year and plane they may or may not be using anti-air ammunition. If they were to explode as an air burst it would be due to a proximity fuse.

Unless you're talking about an AA gun on the ground attacking other ground targets, where at that point it would explode either on contact or at a pre-determined distance.

E: Some munitions would detonated after a certain time but these rounds were optional and not always used. Wiki has a nice table for the MG 151/20 used by the Germans http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_151_cannon#MG_151.2F20_specifications

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 7, 2014

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
"Tree bursts" are normal contact fuses that hit a tree and explode, raining both metal shrapnel and wooden splinters down on the target, those are modeled in the game. So just normal 80mm mortars can be extrememly deadly in a forest, more so than in completely open ground. I think only the americans used air burst artillery (VT fuses) and after the scope of the games out now, so there are no air burst rounds in the game.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I'll play as either a Germans or Soviet platoon commander, but I'd like something fast and nimble, like motorcycles, cars or horses.
I am not suited for such a position (I'm more of a frontline infantry commander), but it sounds like fun! And a good way to either earn glory or die pointlessly (especially on a small map).

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 7, 2014

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Depending on the country, year and plane they may or may not be using anti-air ammunition. If they were to explode as an air burst it would be due to a proximity fuse.

Unless you're talking about an AA gun on the ground attacking other ground targets, where at that point it would explode either on contact or at a pre-determined distance.

E: Some munitions would detonated after a certain time but these rounds were optional and not always used. Wiki has a nice table for the MG 151/20 used by the Germans http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_151_cannon#MG_151.2F20_specifications

Yeah, sorry, that wasn't clear, I was talking about AA guns on the ground. I was looking at the Flak 38 and most of the rounds it used detonated at a set distance through one mechanism or another.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Readingaccount posted:

I'll play as either a Germans or Soviet platoon commander, but I'd like something fast and nimble, like motorcycles, cars or horses.
I am not suited for such a position (I'm more of a frontline infantry commander), but it sounds like fun! And a good way to either earn glory or die pointlessly (especially on a small map).

Abongination posted:

24 hours until faction threads are published and the game is officially live, anyone who hasn't signed up but still wants to please put your name down for the American armour, the spreadsheet will be locked when the faction threads go up.

Once the game is live everyone assigned to a team (even the reserves) can view and post ONLY IN THEIR FACTIONS THREAD, this thread and your opponents thread are totally off limits. Spectators please only post in this thread.

You're just in time! You may have to give up on the Soviet dream, however, since we're nowhere near the Elbe yet.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Signed up for a US Tank reinforcement. We need some tank destroyers because it will both cause and confirm so many arguments! Time to put the theory to the test!

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Readingaccount posted:

I'll play as either a Germans or Soviet platoon commander

I've marked you down as American Armour so you'll be banished to the U.S thread once they go up shortly!

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
:siren: The game is officially live! Players to your threads, remember it's all in good fun and try not to step on anyone else's experience. If you cheat then everyone will judge/mock you :siren:

German Thread
American Thread

Players stop reading this thread now!!!

Please.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 7, 2014

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Jeeeeeeeez that's a lot of Shermies.

the JJ fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 7, 2014

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

the JJ posted:

Jeeeeeeeez that's a lot of Shermies.

Yer it is! The German players are going to have to be smart about ambushing them with their anti-tank teams and guard their tanks very well.

I have a beautiful vision in my head of those Panthers sitting at range and just knocking down tank after tank, somehow I don't think this will happen though.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 7, 2014

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

You might want to edit that out or spoiler it since a German player, unaware yet that the neutral thread is off limits, might scroll down and at the same time as they see the link they're supposed to go to, see your post.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

gohuskies posted:

You might want to edit that out or spoiler it since a German player, unaware yet that the neutral thread is off limits, might scroll down and at the same time as they see the link they're supposed to go to, see your post.

Expanded my post above that one and put a message to players.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Saying that there will be a lot of shermans in a mission is like saying the sun will rise in the east.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, the americans went with... that? This will be amazing :allears:

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
I decided to go with a pre-made scenario for this so goon's did not get to choose their own troops, they'll have to roll with what they are given!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Hahahahaha that's a lot of tanks.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Sorry, I should have realized the objectives would be different. Oh well, there's always some good photoshop goons in these things, so they can mark them themselves.

Just watched the video and this battlefield gonna be real crowded. The only question is, when the 50' reinforcements arrive, will the crowd be soldiers or corpses?

Oh, and can I guess where you're from Abongination? Australian, but not west coast. Sayyy Melbourne or Adelaide?

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

Jaguars! posted:

Oh, and can I guess where you're from Abongination? Australian, but not west coast. Sayyy Melbourne or Adelaide?

Perth actually! My accent is all messed up from spending the last few years in Canada and I still call everyone buddy and say "eh"

And yer, don't think the objectives being different is a issue. I might make up a new grid map tomorrow if I can find the time.

*edit - When filming that reinforcements video I had a hell of a time keeping broken units out of it haha, I was just sending the waves forward a bit when they came in and the German AI punished the hell out of them, felt kinda bad about it.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 7, 2014

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

heh, whenever I start wondering when someones a fellow Kiwi, they're usually from Aus, but not Sydneysiders and Brisbaneites because they usually have very broad sounding accents to me.

I lived in BC for a while and I swear that Kiwis and Aussies use "eh" far more often!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

eigenstate posted:

Since I don't have archives, are the videos still hosted somewhere?

No, I think I deleted them a year ago as they had no commentary and I was going through a cleanup phase. Sorry!

dublish posted:

:allears:

E: This brings back memories. I J4LPs.

dtkozl posted:

Ah my finest hour.

This one was worth NOT deleting. Why did the first game end? because the allies stacked the best part of a company of infantry right where the Germans began bombarding....

Ah, the heady days when no one knew what they were doing (even me)

Of course, I'm sure I'll be back when Black Sea comes out.....

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Artillery is probably the most effective and deadliest weapon in these games, it's just really hard to get it right. The call in time and spotting mean you have to plan fire missions far in advance and it's hard to respond quickly to new targets. Mobile mortar teams with direct line of sight to their target are fantastic (if you can get them set up in the right place).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

:stare:

That's just... magical.

So, Panthers are basically immortal as far as Shermans vs. front armor is concerned? And how are the tanks parceled in regard to reinforcements? Five tanks a wave, all get to have a good look at the corpses of their predecessors?

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
So how are the Americans going to keep player interest if half their force doesn't even show up for two weeks/a month?

They're going to have to be smart about how they assign players, so they don't end up with loads of people having nothing to do and dropping out.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jaguars! posted:

I was having a look through last night and they seem to have disappeared off of youtube as well. The first game is all screenshots! here's an example from in the middle of the action.

Dammit Grey, Shermans weren't called Ronsons, that was pulled firmly out of Belton Cooper's rear end. Ronson didn't even use the 'lights every time' slogan until after the war!

I am so mad about tanks right now, you guys. :argh:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
24 hour turns seem like a reeeeally fast deadline.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Yvonmukluk posted:

Dammit Grey, Shermans weren't called Ronsons, that was pulled firmly out of Belton Cooper's rear end. Ronson didn't even use the 'lights every time' slogan until after the war!

So I have a few gaps in my knowledge. I even had to google who Cooper was.

Also, quit having a go at 2011(?) me. That guy was a jerk.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I once found a website made by a guy who was adamant about two things:
1) M113 is God's aluminum gift to humanity and should never be phased out (TRACKED VEHICLES SCARE TERRORISTS!)
2) M113 is usually called "M113 Gavin"
...despite the fact, that it never was, at least according to Wiki and /k/

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

JcDent posted:

I once found a website made by a guy who was adamant about two things:
1) M113 is God's aluminum gift to humanity and should never be phased out (TRACKED VEHICLES SCARE TERRORISTS!)
2) M113 is usually called "M113 Gavin"
...despite the fact, that it never was, at least according to Wiki and /k/

This guy?

http://www.combatreform.org/m113combat.htm

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Abongination posted:

:siren: The game is officially live! Players to your threads, remember it's all in good fun and try not to step on anyone else's experience. If you cheat then everyone will judge/mock you :siren:

German Thread
American Thread

Please.

Who are on which teams. I signed up for the yanks, and could jump into the german side.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

vuk83 posted:

Who are on which teams. I signed up for the yanks, and could jump into the german side.

Check the spreadsheet!!! And I hope you haven't been reading this thread. You are American, get to the American thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
:downsrim:

I'm not sure what part of:

quote:

you missed but suddenly this clause

quote:

If you cheat then everyone will judge/mock you
suddenly seems to apply.

Let's work through this logic. If you signed up for American you should probably join...

• Locked thread