Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think you did way more property damage than that just during the boss fight. The only thing missing in this video, is lava in every room.
Just you wait...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Man, Merlena really got burned with that job powering the reactor.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Samovar posted:

Man, Merlena really got burned with that job powering the reactor.

Yeah, I can't believe they put a hothead like that in charge of it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Is it possible for other enemies to try and restrain the possessed soldiers you make kill themselves?

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
Is that the Star Wars alphabet on those doors?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Marlena is fantastic and I wish we got more of her. She'd definitely be a better sidekick than Sarah.
Also, was that quip about moon gnomes a Puzzle Agent reference?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

anilEhilated posted:

Marlena is fantastic and I wish we got more of her. She'd definitely be a better sidekick than Sarah.
Also, was that quip about moon gnomes a Puzzle Agent reference?

Not an intentional reference, never played Puzzle Agent. I would totally play a game starring Marlena, though. C'mon Midway, return from the dead and make Neo Exile already!

White Coke posted:

Is it possible for other enemies to try and restrain the possessed soldiers you make kill themselves?

Nah, enemies regard mind controlled meat puppets as just a second Nick Scryer, the AI is pretty non-existent.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Fiendly posted:

Nah, enemies regard mind controlled meat puppets as just a second Nick Scryer, the AI is pretty non-existent.

In a better game the guards would try to talk someone down once they see them put a shotgun in their mouth. It'd also have gameplay benefits since it'd distract everyone else.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

PRL412 posted:

Is that the Star Wars alphabet on those doors?

Aurebesh? ...Maybe. It looks a lot like the fake-A in Aurebesh, "Aurek."

I suspect it's actually a stylized K. But who knows, maybe it's a random Star Wars reference.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
Yeah, that's it. I figured it was a at least a nod since telekinesis and the Force go hand in hand.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This game has been kind of a joyless affair thus far, but at least the wacky possess and give big tongues guy is trying

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You give the aura beasts a lot of poo poo but I still maintain the mines are worse. Aurabeasts, you can actually do something about. Incoming the worst loving level in the game.

edit: IIRC, you can also get the gnome by stacking the boxes in the level high enough to be able to TK it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 5, 2017

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

anilEhilated posted:

IIRC, you can also get the gnome by stacking the boxes in the level high enough to be able to TK it.

In retrospect, there should be a way to stack up all four boxes in the area and get on top of them for a clean view of the gnome within TK range, but I tried that a few times to no avail, and it's also super tedious. Does solve the problem of the descent not being survivable, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fiendly posted:

In retrospect, there should be a way to stack up all four boxes in the area and get on top of them for a clean view of the gnome within TK range, but I tried that a few times to no avail, and it's also super tedious. Does solve the problem of the descent not being survivable, though.
Again, if I remember correctly - it's been a pretty long time since I played this - there should be a way of getting down from there, I think there's some kind of TK-able object you can basically slide down on.

e: Actually looked it up on gamefaqs and they seem to confirm this: "To get down, multi-lift a concrete slab and set it on the outer wooden area in the middle. Ride the Slab out and fall while on top of it."
Not sure if it's there or you need to get it up, I suspect this FAQ is where I got the idea from back then.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 5, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Mines are easy to avoid, but those beasts are the platform infesting birds of the PS2. Noisy, wastes ammo, ignores game rules, hit too fast.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think I missed something. Sara says her sister's with the bad guys, then she gloats and gives the General the macguffin (which I assumed was actually her twin sister), then she denies anything about it, then she's in prison with "the General was using me the whole time" which suggests she was a traitor? Did I miss a step somewhere?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Maybe both sisters are on our "side" now, for as long as it is convenient?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Plot holes? In Psi-ops?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Bruceski posted:

I think I missed something. Sara says her sister's with the bad guys, then she gloats and gives the General the macguffin (which I assumed was actually her twin sister), then she denies anything about it, then she's in prison with "the General was using me the whole time" which suggests she was a traitor? Did I miss a step somewhere?

She was a traitor. To the General. Sounds like he knew and was just using her.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Using fire on rocks seems to be a trope in video games. It tends to require a cooling element, but they must have run out of time to explain why heating a rock is needed.
Who has gotten screwed by the save system around those mines? I spawned in front of one near those rocket MP3s and had to reverse my steps with each failure.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Welp. That face could probably make an avatar, but I don't think this is a good enough quality pic for it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The facial animations in this game are Art.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

This game was so dumb.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's a lot of awesome stuff to talk about there but I just love the way the game completely casually drops those supposedly character-defining lines: "The General is so awesome, oh, by the way, I killed our parents, the General is soooo dreamy..."

For what it's worth, I really wish someone would make Psi-Ops 2. With the same writing team. This thing is basically the best bad game of all time.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 10, 2017

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

BenRGamer posted:

Welp. That face could probably make an avatar, but I don't think this is a good enough quality pic for it.

It is indeed a face to behold, but the game's cutscenes are of a surprisingly low resolution. Even the raw video recorded at HD settings looks about the same, but here it is in case anyone has a use for it or just wants to relive the glory as many times as possible:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

anilEhilated posted:

There's a lot of awesome stuff to talk about there but I just love the way the game completely casually drops those supposedly character-defining lines: "The General is so awesome, oh, by the way, I killed our parents, the General is soooo dreamy..."

For what it's worth, I really wish someone would make Psi-Ops 2. With the same writing team. This thing is basically the best bad game of all time.

Honestly it's not THAT hard to make it good either. It's just a few tweeks here and there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Fiendly posted:

It is indeed a face to behold, but the game's cutscenes are of a surprisingly low resolution. Even the raw video recorded at HD settings looks about the same, but here it is in case anyone has a use for it or just wants to relive the glory as many times as possible:

He looks like he could be Heavy's dad in this shot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I love it when bad games/movies end on a 'To Be Continued' like they deserved a sequel at all for their garbage story. Just write an actual story first, and if your game/movie succeeds, THEN you can figure out how to continue the franchise.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned how you have that one Barret cutscene on the bridge thing, then you walk maybe 3 feet into the next cutscene.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I love it when bad games/movies end on a 'To Be Continued' like they deserved a sequel at all for their garbage story. Just write an actual story first, and if your game/movie succeeds, THEN you can figure out how to continue the franchise.

The ambition and self-satisfaction of planned trilogies is one of my favorite things to see fail, as they almost always do.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned how you have that one Barret cutscene on the bridge thing, then you walk maybe 3 feet into the next cutscene.

Not only is there two cutscenes within seconds of each other, there's separate checkpoints after each one as though you'd somehow manage to die before reaching the elevator.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Fiendly posted:

The ambition and self-satisfaction of planned trilogies is one of my favorite things to see fail, as they almost always do.

Not only is there two cutscenes within seconds of each other, there's separate checkpoints after each one as though you'd somehow manage to die before reaching the elevator.

Then you get the FF13 trilogy... Which failed, but still kept going.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
And the Xenosaga trilogy, which tried to segue into another trilogy.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

And the Xenosaga trilogy, which tried to segue into another trilogy.

Wasn't Xenosaga supposed to be the rest of Xenogears?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Xenosaga was its own thing or re-imagining of Xenogears. Particularly the distant past of Xenogears and after Episode III ended, segue to the Cain/Abel/Elly arc on the Xenogears planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Zain posted:

Then you get the FF13 trilogy... Which failed, but still kept going.

As I understand it the deal with the FFXIII trilogy is that they made enough assets making the original game that Square Enix basically came the conclusion that "gently caress it, even if it sells really poorly, selling at all beats wasting money on all this poo poo."

• Locked thread