Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

MotU posted:

If I had Meliadoul BSB, Marche USB and Agrias USB but no source of Imperil Holy, would it be worth doing 1 more roll on the FFTA banner for Agrias's BSB? Still could use her LMR as well

You could get some mileage from diving Agrias instead for her LM2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Agrias's LM2 is a 30% chance of inflicting a 10% imperil with knight abilities. It's nice but unreliable. And of course, imperil isn't going to make or break your build. It's just nice to have.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I did not listen to advice and pulled

Got a 3rd Durandal (for all 3 people using Holy skills), Marche's SSB, Ramza's Battlecry and Agrias's Imperil SB

everyone holy everything forever

always pull

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Agrias's LM2 is a 30% chance of inflicting a 10% imperil with knight abilities. It's nice but unreliable. And of course, imperil isn't going to make or break your build. It's just nice to have.

Yeah, I'd only suggest it if you were really insistent on say being able to generate extra gauge by imperilling a holy-neutral enemy.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

It's probably not optimal but I like imperils for Jump Starts because I can give the imperiler Thunder God RM and get the three imperils off quick, boosting the DPSers damage as they get buffs and other such up.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

MotU posted:

Got a 3rd Durandal (for all 3 people using Holy skills), Marche's SSB, Ramza's Battlecry and Agrias's Imperil SB

always pull

Welcome back with a series of really good pulls

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

MotU posted:

always pull

Do not listen to his lies.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

So, uh, did the fft 220 raid solo and he was only doing this counter attack that did 666 damage to my front row and basically nothing else.

I have good FFT synergy but even without it this would have been a laugher.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Pander posted:

So, uh, did the fft 220 raid solo and he was only doing this counter attack that did 666 damage to my front row and basically nothing else.

I have good FFT synergy but even without it this would have been a laugher.
Yeah, I'd gotten the impression that this was supposed to be a tricky fight as well. But it's so easy to blunt the counterattacks that anyone can just load up on slow resist and heal through the rest. :shrug: Plus the omni-resist is apparently only -20% (for a net 80%), so elemental shitkickers like Cid Raines are still great for damage.

Presumably the next event's MP fights aren't so easily short-circuited?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

NGDBSS posted:

Yeah, I'd gotten the impression that this was supposed to be a tricky fight as well. But it's so easy to blunt the counterattacks that anyone can just load up on slow resist and heal through the rest. :shrug: Plus the omni-resist is apparently only -20% (for a net 80%), so elemental shitkickers like Cid Raines are still great for damage.

I just ran rikku usb, yshy wall, Ramza support, and then shadow and noctis dps. Noctis immediately fires cloud USB while shadow waits for two chrages of physblink before cloud USB then shadow embodied.

I loaded up on slow resist but I don't even think mateus cast slowga. He just got whittles down quick by noctis.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

MotU posted:

always pull

lol

At this point you may as well go for one more. You can still get Ramza's USB and Agrias' LMR!!! :v:

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

NGDBSS posted:

The event 220 Mateus is a lot harder than the MP Mateus for whatever reason. At least in the Jump Start version he can still knock you out if you don't have wall up right away.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I did 220 Mateus raid last night after two attempts (and many connection issues. My first one had wall fall at exactly the wrong time, 5 of our party got killed leaving two healers and a dps, the dps's USB took it down to zero visible life left, and then they died too. FUNGAAH!

After that doing the 160 raid with my Noctis hammering it for five-nines felt immensely cathartic.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Hah, interestingly enough my best possible strategy to consistently sub-30 Bismarck is to have shantotto(fully dove) wear NO armor, this way her res is low enough that self-memento mori through shellga does enough to trigger her plsy rough LM status.

And yeah wth was with event mateus! He was a tough cookie. Every other iteration of him(way too many! One of my main complaints on current state of game) in this event was easy so I wasnt expecting that.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 4, 2017

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Imperils can make a big difference. I switched Rinoa's BSB2 with its enice for Laguna's USB, which does an ice imperil, and paired with the Wendigo magicite's ice imperil, bumped up the damage from Edea's USB to where I can clear the fight in under 50 seconds and Edea rarely uses all of the hones on her R5 witch 4* and R3 witch 5* abilities, whereas before she always ran out before Fenrir was dead.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MikeSevigny posted:

The event 220 Mateus is a lot harder than the MP Mateus for whatever reason. At least in the Jump Start version he can still knock you out if you don't have wall up right away.

yeah i tried doing that without wall and sometimes he went before my proshellga would go off and would hit for 7-8k. if i got proshellga and wall up before that first star cross he did 500-600 damage

edit: i still only finished the fight with tg cid alive lifestealing for himself and dealing dark damage from bsb commands because the slows wrecked me. i am glad the other jump start was super simple, it was the first one i have ever completed :unsmith:

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Not a rage pull but close to it I just woke up after working a wonky graveyard shift and it just seemed like such a good idea, went 1/11 but wouldn't you know it theres that discoball and its a burglar sword. :feelsgood:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

edit: i still only finished the fight with tg cid alive lifestealing for himself and dealing dark damage from bsb commands because the slows wrecked me. i am glad the other jump start was super simple, it was the first one i have ever completed :unsmith:

Even if you have a hastega ready to fire, that one slowed bar filling up feels like an abysmal wait where so much can go wrong.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

I just got the same sword on my first pull. Time to stuff some EXP Eggs into Agrias. :getin:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Just got my last RM to drop, cores included. Who the hell am I supposed to bring to dailies now between new characters?

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis

dragon_pamcake posted:

I just got the same sword on my first pull. Time to stuff some EXP Eggs into Agrias. :getin:

but that’s for Marche

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

jebeebus posted:

but that’s for Marche

I'm an idiot and pulled Durandal.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm glad this event reminded me ffta has some real good music

never gonna replay it but still, some good tunes

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

This event has just been giving me the urge to replay FFTA and that's a deep, deep rabbit hole I'm not sure I'm prepared to go down. I lost hundreds of hours to that game. :shepface:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

This event has just been giving me the urge to replay FFTA and that's a deep, deep rabbit hole I'm not sure I'm prepared to go down. I lost hundreds of hours to that game. :shepface:

:same:

i could at least play ffta2 since i never got more than an hour into it but it's not like 2017 didn't give me a billion games i need to get around to

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I dug my copy of FFTA2 out so I could play it when I travel later this month, mostly because of this event.

I'm not proud.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Prism posted:

I dug my copy of FFTA2 out so I could play it when I travel later this month, mostly because of this event.

I'm not proud.

FFTA2 is much better than FFTA1 (and so far does not have any representation in FFRK). Nothing to be ashamed of.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

ceaselessfuture posted:

lol

At this point you may as well go for one more. You can still get Ramza's USB and Agrias' LMR!!! :v:

im a sick f**k so i just might at the end of it

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
Oh right, I couldn't beat the Golbez Jump Start last time, well I'm so powerful now I'll probably stomp him and his jerk pet

Now this was supposed to be a screenshot of Golbez dying so you could see Ramza had zero health bar and me saying "close enough" but I couldn't get the screenshot right either. See you in hell, Torment Golbez.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Schwartzcough posted:

FFTA2 is much better than FFTA1 (and so far does not have any representation in FFRK). Nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm probably against popular opinion on this one but I disagree.

Sure the law system is far better but I dislike the other battle changes they made.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Schwartzcough posted:

For the most part this is true, but it's also slightly less open, so if you're the type who likes doing challenge/gimmick runs of games you're gonna be unhappy.

That's also why, even ignoring the graphics, people think the mobile ports of FF5 are worse than the GBA version.

MikeSevigny posted:

Now this was supposed to be a screenshot of Golbez dying so you could see Ramza had zero health bar and me saying "close enough" but I couldn't get the screenshot right either. See you in hell, Torment Golbez.

I can't reliably do screenshots any more now that iOS 11 got forced onto my phone. poo poo's real bad.

Grats on beating one of the more obnoxious torments, though! :toot:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't think I have anything that plays FFTA (1) anymore, so options were limited.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

i could at least play ffta2 since i never got more than an hour into it but it's not like 2017 didn't give me a billion games i need to get around to

Picked it up on my phone and it's just not the same with fumbling with phone controls and such. Feels like much more of a slog. I could probably dig the cartridge up used somewhere but I donno if this whim will stick around enough to bother.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm probably against popular opinion on this one but I disagree.

Sure the law system is far better but I dislike the other battle changes they made.

Anecdotally from what I recall of both:

The law system in 1 was dumb as gently caress, full stop. I don't care if you can manipulate it, I should not be able to be put in a fight against only Monster enemies with the Red Card condition "Do not harm Monsters." And for those who haven't had the experience of playing it, breaking a Red Card rule makes it so you can't use the character who committed the infraction for the remainder of that mission and for several subsequent missions (I think it was three, but I'm hazy on that).

A2's Law system was much more reasonable: instead of your character being instantly sent to the penalty box when they get Carded, breaking the rules simply makes your team vulnerable to Permadeath in the style of the countdown timers from Tactics classic. Overall I will say that I liked the various combat changes apart from that, including the Start at 0 MP and generate some each turn mechanic. Balance-wise, it did seem a little too easy to make a monstrous, nearly unbeatable team: just off the cuff I recall having an Illusionist tricked out to be able to attack every enemy in the fight once every second and third turn and that was one of the less broken ones I had.

Can't speak to how the balance of A1 stacks up to that, though, I became very frustrated with it and only clearly recall having an Assassin who wrecked poo poo between status and Ultima Blade.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The MP change in A2 is the main thing that turned me off everytime I tried to play it. From a balance perspective, yeah it makes sense to unbreak a lot of the poo poo that was busted as hell in A1. But in practice it just made it feel like every class took 2 years to really rev up to their cool good spells and abilities. Maybe I'm just way off and maybe there's more ways to circumvent that in the system than I ever made it to. I just found it limiting in a way that wasn't very fun to deal with.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The MP change in A2 is the main thing that turned me off everytime I tried to play it. From a balance perspective, yeah it makes sense to unbreak a lot of the poo poo that was busted as hell in A1. But in practice it just made it feel like every class took 2 years to really rev up to their cool good spells and abilities. Maybe I'm just way off and maybe there's more ways to circumvent that in the system than I ever made it to. I just found it limiting in a way that wasn't very fun to deal with.

Once again off the cuff but I believe the primary ones were a passive that halved the cost of all abilities (which I believe I was using on that Illusionist), and another that would let you spend HP in place of MP when you didn't have enough of the latter.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah there were plenty of ways to break the game in twain in A2 even with the rebalancing. It felt like a lot of fun learning those systems when I played it. I must have sunk 100 hours into it trying to clear all the quests.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I hope if Luso ever makes it to FFRK he'll get a goofy Auction related SB like Larsa with potions.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

pichupal posted:

I hope if Luso ever makes it to FFRK he'll get a goofy Auction related SB like Larsa with potions.

Drop a pile of materials onto the shop, get a pile of weapons back to hit the enemy with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i looked at the steiner relics on the upcoming ffix banner and uhhhh what a goofy loving usb. he seems quite bad, i think i am only gonna pull on it once because the vivi usb looks extremely awesome, the garnet one confuses me but is probably good?? and the rest of the banner is meh. i need caster relics though and who doesnt love vivi so i am crossing my fingers.

• Locked thread