Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 3: This is a Star Wars Character :siren:

A world map! Random encounters! In Final Fantasy! In the year of our lord 2010! Is nothing sacred anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

“So, we’re the villans?

“let’s just say... we’re not good”

final fantasy :allears:

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Not sure if you found out later or not, but:

The reason you couldn't get the mayor of McTighe to give his speech is that there were some people in the buildings. You had to go up to the doors around the outside of the area and see which ones you could click on.

No, there is no notification of having to do that; you just have to randomly walk close enough to one to get the prompt.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Artix posted:

:siren: Part 3: This is a Star Wars Character :siren:

A world map! Random encounters! In Final Fantasy! In the year of our lord 2010! Is nothing sacred anymore?

Crazy Chocobo was performed by "Shootie HG" who also did a lot of music for Devil May cry 3 and 4, and Dante's themes for the MVC games.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Bump of Chicken I know as the guys who did the opening of Tales of the Abyss.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 4, 2018

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
I am sad, that the lp for "Lost Odyssey" kind of died. If there ever was a modern jrpg i wanted as remaster or pc port, that would be it.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Am I nuts or is King just staring at the jiggles?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Obviously, someone would archive the FF9 playonline guide

https://polsy.org.uk/stuff/ff9strategy/

(requires flash, also I didn't get the actual keyword thing anyway)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

For how much the camera loved to focus on one specific person last video whenever they talked, and it was incredibly awkward and genuinely not good...I sure wished it did the same here during Mog's lessons because goddamn I have no idea who any of these are so when I only have a number I can't relate it to a face at all.

Also an Etrian Odyssey-style system for levelling is kind of out of place for Final Fantasy but hey, it could be good.

Also also, having twelve different weapons is bad (and I'm surprised it isn't thirteen). I'd rather have a system like KH Days (and this is the only time in my life I'll ever praise that game), having a single item for each weapon that worked for every character. Everyone gets different weapons but you don't have to keep all characters up.

Other than that, question. I get that characters that fight get EXP and those in the backrows don't, but what about the characters that get replaced by special characters like Noted VA Ken'ichi Suzumura (Shinn would very much not be out of place in this game, it loves acronyms just as much as SEED did)? Do they still get EXP?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I genuinely don't understand how anyone can use Cinque effectively. Her gimmick of being a slow character with superarmor doesn't work in this game, especially when you mandatory need range half the time and hit the red targets the other half.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tae posted:

I genuinely don't understand how anyone can use Cinque effectively. Her gimmick of being a slow character with superarmor doesn't work in this game, especially when you mandatory need range half the time and hit the red targets the other half.

Cinque is one of the characters you pawn off on the AI and let it if/then/else its way to using her effectively while you stick to characters with actual good playstyles like Machina, Cater, Sice and Eight.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Cinque just takes a lot of practice. A LOT of practice. She gets some decent AoE going later on, and if you can get her timing down to take advantage of the crit/kill crests things just vanish.

Or you can play on Super Easy mode by using Trey. Trey is the best. At least for single target kills.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Weeble posted:

Cinque just takes a lot of practice. A LOT of practice. She gets some decent AoE going later on, and if you can get her timing down to take advantage of the crit/kill crests things just vanish.

Or you can play on Super Easy mode by using Trey. Trey is the best. At least for single target kills.

I always used Queen because I'm a sucker for longswords

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I am trying very hard not to listen to a word of dialogue that doesn't come out of Jiggles McNuremberg. She's at least hammy. Everyone else sounds like they are on all the Valium forever.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Accelerate is the best skill because it works on the world map.

Also Machina's Drillswords are dumb and awesome at the same time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Giant XP kickers, overpowered guest characters...

I mean, I like that if you want to experience the story of, like, Celeste, but you're pants at platform games, you can tone it all down to a level you're comfortable with.

But this game seems... almost afraid of its own difficulty.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Class 0 is rather fragile if you aren't careful so use and abuse I say.

That or I just sucked at this one hard :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Glazius posted:

Giant XP kickers, overpowered guest characters...

I mean, I like that if you want to experience the story of, like, Celeste, but you're pants at platform games, you can tone it all down to a level you're comfortable with.

But this game seems... almost afraid of its own difficulty.

Oh wait for it. There's a feature coming up in video 5 that's even more hilariously easy to break in terms of shaking the game down for XP with minimal effort. I call the question in the video but it doesn't go father than that. Once it's live in the thread I'll explain it in detail though...

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 4: Left Breast and Right Breast :siren:

It's time to introduce an exciting new gameplay mechanic! Everyone loves uh...MOBAs? RTS? I dunno, you'll see what I mean.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I want to kill that moogle and anyone willfully involved in giving it that voice.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
No he not holding the bow backwards silly commentators that's just something some bows do after you fire an arrow from them.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

anime admirals

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Oh yeah, random battles are an extra poo poo concept for this game because you're only allowed to choose your player character. The game pulls the top two of the list for the other two. Which are Ace and Deuce. So those two are inevitably going to be a higher level than the rest of your party by sheer virtue of being present for every single random encounter. In a game where people who don't participate don't get EXP.

This game was not well-designed, is sort of what I'm getting at here.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Materant posted:

Oh yeah, random battles are an extra poo poo concept for this game because you're only allowed to choose your player character. The game pulls the top two of the list for the other two. Which are Ace and Deuce. So those two are inevitably going to be a higher level than the rest of your party by sheer virtue of being present for every single random encounter. In a game where people who don't participate don't get EXP.

This game was not well-designed, is sort of what I'm getting at here.

You can organize the downlist to your liking... but only at save points. So you need to go into a town or back to Akademia to do it. Yeah it's still a really lovely system.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
to be fair, you can skip every sortie in the game, as far as I remember.

I thought they were fun, though

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
If you use anyone other than Trey or King for the sorties you're doing it wrong; especially in later ones.

Also, 'cause of the Memory Thing Machina doesn't remember he even HAD a brother.

Izana now only exists as a name on personnel and deployment records, which is how the Commandant knew to grill Dr. Warcrimes about it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It took me am embarrassingly long time for me to remember that you can use Magic during the strategy battles, which made some things waaaay easier than what I did.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
only the bad parts of Final Fantasy, Valkyria Chronicles 2, and Brutal Legend - on the PSP :shepface:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

FractalSandwich posted:

only the bad parts of Final Fantasy, Valkyria Chronicles 2, and Brutal Legend - on the PSP :shepface:

It's like someone looked at Darksiders and decided to do it with the bad parts of games.

Asparagus32
Aug 16, 2015

Weeble posted:

Also, 'cause of the Memory Thing Machina doesn't remember he even HAD a brother.

Izana now only exists as a name on personnel and deployment records, which is how the Commandant knew to grill Dr. Warcrimes about it.

I'm pretty sure he does know there was someone he lost. If I remember correctly, there's an event during the first downtime (that Artix missed) that involves him and Rem at the graveyard.

I actually plat'd the game back when it was released on PS4. Even though the story gets very bonkers later on, I really liked the gameplay.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Probably! There's way more events than you can possibly see at every free time, so do not take the series of events you see in the LP to be "definitive" in any way - between classes, sidequests, and bonding events, playthroughs are surprisingly customizable and to show off everything would require multiple concurrent runs, which is way more than you're going to get out of me for this.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

If the person was important enough, it's apparently easy enough to glean they're gone by the big gaping holes in your memory. Which is kind of hosed up in its own way!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Those "Star Wars" characters made me think of FFX. Those two could have been called a Summoner and her Guardian and I wouldn't have batted an eye.

This game feels very confused. I can't tell if the developers were just weird or if corporate just stepped in and demanded it be more Final Fantasy...and also add in Lightning.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

Those "Star Wars" characters made me think of FFX. Those two could have been called a Summoner and her Guardian and I wouldn't have batted an eye.

This game feels very confused. I can't tell if the developers were just weird or if corporate just stepped in and demanded it be more Final Fantasy...and also add in Lightning.

If anything, Type-0 makes me look at FFXV even more askance that I already did. Because Type-0 is a goddamn mess. And that's not to say that XV isn't also a mess, it's just a much more successful mess than Type-0. And Hajime Tabata was heralded as "the man who saved Final Fantasy XV" (both from Development Hell and from Tetsuya Nomura), so I have to wonder if Tabata massively honed his skills between Type-0 and XV, or was the stuff in there that was worth saving actually Nomura's work and Tabata just managed to get it to print because he's actually a director, while Nomura just an artist.

...An artist who wanted to scrap eight years of work on XV already in the can and turn it into a big budget musical after watching Les Miz, and had to practically be tackled out of it by Square Corporate.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 16, 2018

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

nine-gear crow posted:

...An artist who wanted to scrap eight years of work on XV already in the can and turn it into a big budget musical after watching Les Miz, and had to practically be tackled out of it by Square Corporate.

I would have actually finished that version of XV. :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

I would have actually finished that version of XV. :colbert:

You and me both :negative:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game still feels more coherent than FFXV.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Night10194 posted:

Give it time. We're still in the opening hours.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I'm glad Jarraxus is a member of the Miletus empire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Night10194 posted:

I can't agree. I started off not knowing anything about the game's plot or characters and its opening actually decreased my understanding to the point where I don't think I'm quite caught up to my starting point of zero yet. And while XV isn't exactly a lean, mean game, the mechanics feel more relevant to one another than whatever the gently caress is happening here.

• Locked thread