Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Holo does not really hide or obfuscate how she feels about Lawrence at all it's all pretty much out in the open from the get go, and vice versa. The tension in the relationship instead comes from both of them being intimately aware of the disparity in their lifespans and how both of them don't know how they will be able to cross that bridge when they get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nate RFB posted:

Holo does not really hide or obfuscate how she feels about Lawrence at all it's all pretty much out in the open from the get go, and vice versa. The tension in the relationship instead comes from both of them being intimately aware of the disparity in their lifespans and how both of them don't know how they will be able to cross that bridge when they get there.

That and they have two wildly different end goals. Holo, to return to her home in Yoitsu, and Lawrence to settle down somewhere in human lands and open a shop.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Hey, the guy said the line!

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Suleman posted:

I watched some of the old anime adaptation back in the day, but I didn't appreciate what seemed to be a pretty typical tsundere characterization for Holo. It didn't seem like an interesting personality for a 1000-year-old wolf demigod.

Is that a feature in the original novels and the new adaptation? It's honestly a bit of a dealbreaker.

The only real tsundere trait Holo has is that she has a tendency to not be direct about her feelings, but instead of I guess the typical tsundere dance it's more about her vast age and experience and love of teasing

I'll also just say it, Holo kind of enjoys being mean to an extent, though usually in the service of helping someone out

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Hey, the guy said the line!

It's like coming home

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

BearDrivingTruck posted:

The only real tsundere trait Holo has is that she has a tendency to not be direct about her feelings, but instead of I guess the typical tsundere dance it's more about her vast age and experience and love of teasing

I'll also just say it, Holo kind of enjoys being mean to an extent, though usually in the service of helping someone out

I never got around to watching Spice and Wolf way back in the day but I always got the feeling just through what other people had said that Holo was one of those taciturn and shy types, so when she came right out the gate being a mean teasing flirt I was completely shocked. Its a way better characterization than my preconceived notion though, especially for a romance.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I think Holo's behavior in the (new) anime has stayed pretty true to how it is in the LN.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My main fear with this release was whether they were going to speed up the pacing since modern LN adaptations usually go through volumes in fewer episodes than they did 15 years ago, but at least the first arc it's been more or less 1:1 with every episode ending in the same places. Does not mean they will retain that pace all the way through but it's nice so far.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I've been reading the LN lately and I'm having a great time with it. A lot of very dry humor in the narration that I don't particularly associate with Japanese writing.

I haven't gotten around to actually watching this iteration of the anime yet; is the Holo/Lawrence banter still good?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

yes, as someone who has never watched the original, their relationship is just pleasant to watch.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fluffdaddy posted:

yes, as someone who has never watched the original, their relationship is just pleasant to watch.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I've been reading the LN lately and I'm having a great time with it. A lot of very dry humor in the narration that I don't particularly associate with Japanese writing.

I haven't gotten around to actually watching this iteration of the anime yet; is the Holo/Lawrence banter still good?

I watched the old one, watching new one, never read the LN: it's like they never stopped, banter-wise. They fell right back into these roles and it kicks rear end.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The introduction of the shepherd begins one of my favorite arcs in S&W! I'm looking forward to it.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Agreed! It's nice seeing characters who are just as clever as each other dancing around and bantering. It's so fun!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

The introduction of the shepherd begins one of my favorite arcs in S&W! I'm looking forward to it.

Agreed on that. I was really excited to see the shepherdess in the OP and I really enjoyed this part of the LN.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I can't find any solid answers online-- is the remake going to be 1:1 to the original release or at some point will it incorporate more plot from the books (which I haven't read)?

I just finished the original a few days ago and I'm stoked to see this, however given the remake-ness of the remake I am unsure of whether to hold off for a while haha

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Knot My President! posted:

I can't find any solid answers online-- is the remake going to be 1:1 to the original release or at some point will it incorporate more plot from the books (which I haven't read)?

I just finished the original a few days ago and I'm stoked to see this, however given the remake-ness of the remake I am unsure of whether to hold off for a while haha

I don't think there's been any official word on that, though I presume that since they used the dude in Pasloe instead of the 2008 anime original Chloe, they're gonna stick more closely to the books. Though that doesn't really matter for this first season, since there's no real differences in the old season 1 anime plot and the books. Where it will matter will be if they make a season 2, because in that case we can expect volume 4 to be adapted. This volume was skipped in the 2008 anime, so if they adapt this time it would replace the second half of season 2 and make that totally new.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Knot My President! posted:

The original anime skipped an entire LN's content that is super-duper relevant for stuff later in the series. This one does not appear to be doing that. So yes there should be "new" content, and it will be better setup to continue the story in later seasons.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

GateOfD posted:

Never had goat-cheese on potatoe.
or goat-anything really. Good choking on potato count, and aggressive potato chewing.

I think they did the last scene in ep2 very well
Holo overstepping her teasing about wolves killing humans without thinking and making Lawrence mad. They didn't really focus on this part in the older show and quickly moved on, but it felt they let it hang for a bit longer and gave it more weight.

yeah. ill say i am new to anime and going in mostly blind to this series, my gf got me into beastars recently(like the show and the comic well enough so far) and i wanted to give this a shot since i heard its chill and fun. and so far i like it alot. I really like how the dyamic between holo and lawrence has played out so far. i just finished that episode last night and i genuinly like how they kinda take turns flustering each other. like obvious she has age on him so its easier for her but she does genuinly care when she gives him a ptsd flashback. also i am sorta surprised how non sexaul the nudity is. like yeah holo is attractive but its not focusing on her tits and rear end and lawrence just feels uncomfotable about it in various realistic ways.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Suleman posted:

I watched some of the old anime adaptation back in the day, but I didn't appreciate what seemed to be a pretty typical tsundere characterization for Holo. It didn't seem like an interesting personality for a 1000-year-old wolf demigod.

Is that a feature in the original novels and the new adaptation? It's honestly a bit of a dealbreaker.

i dont really get that characterization so far. she isnt an rear end in a top hat to him, she is playful and while teasing and kinda haughty, she doesnt treat lawrence like poo poo or whatever, she clearly likes loving with him but so far she hasnt pushed to far outside the one time and she walked back hard the second he freaked out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

I never got around to watching Spice and Wolf way back in the day but I always got the feeling just through what other people had said that Holo was one of those taciturn and shy types, so when she came right out the gate being a mean teasing flirt I was completely shocked. Its a way better characterization than my preconceived notion though, especially for a romance.

same. i never read it before but everything i heard about when i was younger was nude wolf girl and stuff and reading the wiki on the premis talked about how she was 15 or some poo poo, but from watching the show, she looks 20 something and sounds like she is in her 30s. i remember reading somewhere that her way of speaking is based off like old type of courtesan back in the day and she honestly sounds like to a degree. never overt but always treading the edges and has a good read on people. its nice.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Holo speaks in an archaic way. It'd be like if you encountered a young adult girl speaking with thee's and thy's

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Holo speaks in an archaic way. It'd be like if you encountered a young adult girl speaking with thee's and thy's

yeah, she talks in an extreamly formal but playfully forward way. its a fun dynamic. i am sure it sounds different in japanese.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Brutal Garcon posted:

So this episode seems to imply quite heavily that people in this world are aware that supernatural creatures exist (in principle, even if they've never seen one) and the local religion's problem with them is less "don't believe this nonsense" and more Lord Farquaad.

Sad state of the modern internet that I haven't yet seen one of these edited to say "didn't read lol".

sorry for the poo poo quality.

yeah part of that is because alot of pagan poo poo still existed in that time in real life. like Carlo Ginzburg writes all about that poo poo and how various groups in italy were super catholic but kept traditional beliefs and stuff alive because of ritual or etc and moved. hell its still around today in tons of countries and cultures. i feel like if this were real, holo would either get "killed" in some story by some saint OR she would get incorperated into the faith as some friend angel or saint or something. whats the time period for spice and wolf. I know its like central or sourthern europe maybe even a bit of eastern, i assume its supposed to be like renaissance era.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 22, 2024

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It's a fictional quasi-european land. They are kinda vaguely in the area that would be the lowlands between what is now Germany and France nearish Brussels and the Netherlands. Trading companies have signfiicant sway so there's some kind of quasi Hanseatic League puttering about with an "Ancient Empire" that died off to the south which is referenced a few times which is a stand-in for the Romans.

The land to the north that Holo wants to return to is inspired by a mixture between the British Isles and the Nordic Penninsula.

Edit: The time period would be a little before the advent of the printing press.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 22, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's a fictional quasi-european land. They are kinda vaguely in the area that would be the lowlands between what is now Germany and France nearish Brussels and the Netherlands. Trading companies have signfiicant sway so there's some kind of quasi Hanseatic League puttering about with an "Ancient Empire" that died off to the south which is referenced a few times which is a stand-in for the Romans.

The land to the north that Holo wants to return to is inspired by a mixture between the British Isles and the Nordic Penninsula.

yeah sounds about right.

Edit

I was dumb and watched the old show instead of the new.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 23, 2024

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

pouting Holo has incredible strong energy

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah, while i think the older animes a little more expressive in some areas, i think the remake is way way better with the voice acting so far. both voice acters have a decade plus of extra expirence now and do better emoting. there is also less random quick fill in the blank shouting. it works.

symbolic posted:

pouting Holo has incredible strong energy

she has strong energy in general. its why the chemestry with her and lawrence works. He is mister professional so far while she bounces between reading people far far better then he can and acting like a hyper sorta horny teen on a sugar high. meanwhile he just wants to sell some loving poo poo so he can make money and try not to look at holos tits for 5 time that day.
https://x.com/jint02145476/status/1793270715011289392
https://x.com/AincradReviews/status/1792662307518239045
basicaly these are a good summery so far.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 24, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

symbolic posted:

well we've got hella stakes now, and it's appreciated. holo's monologue about loneliness was appropriately despair-inducing. definitely detecting more animation stiffness but i can overlook it

yeah i love this loving show. lawrence is a weird econ nerd goonlord who finally made a friend he clearly cares and respects because she can play merchent bullshit game better then him. i like that she is genuinly pissed for a bit that she wasnt rescued by him personally and he basicaly had some rival guild do the dirty work. its like yeah she is extreamly right but she could have also just eaten some grains and 9/11 her way out of the building. I like how the show lures you in with the wolf girl rear end and boobies and then it just sits you down in a corner and makes you watch them have kojima/yakuza level discuisions about silver coinage purity and inter merchent guild fighting and its relations with the church and europian folk paganism and if you dont pay attention you hosed.

Edit. finished episode six, i see episode 7 and 8 are subbed already. is that all for this season or will we get more?

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 25, 2024

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah i love this loving show. lawrence is a weird econ nerd goonlord who finally made a friend he clearly cares and respects because she can play merchent bullshit game better then him. i like that she is genuinly pissed for a bit that she wasnt rescued by him personally and he basicaly had some rival guild do the dirty work. its like yeah she is extreamly right but she could have also just eaten some grains and 9/11 her way out of the building. I like how the show lures you in with the wolf girl rear end and boobies and then it just sits you down in a corner and makes you watch them have kojima/yakuza level discuisions about silver coinage purity and inter merchent guild fighting and its relations with the church and europian folk paganism and if you dont pay attention you hosed.

Edit. finished episode six, i see episode 7 and 8 are subbed already. is that all for this season or will we get more?

I mean, IS she extremely right to be mad that the merchant with no combat skills to speak of didn’t charge in like a goombus :v:

Not that it isn’t a funny and believable/understandable character interaction mind you.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

I mean, IS she extremely right to be mad that the merchant with no combat skills to speak of didn’t charge in like a goombus :v:

Not that it isn’t a funny and believable/understandable character interaction mind you.

Oh I agree and he makes up for it in the next episode. But now I want to see Lawrence the debate and discussion goon try to assassins creed his way around not-Florence. Meanwhile holo keeps tapping her foot and counting down before she just bites a guard and turns into Clifford the death Akita.

I mean she is clearly not RIGHT but I get her point, she is clearly starting to fall for him and she wanted ezio his way in there in there especially after she got caught for him. Meanwhile he is having Kojima cutscenes about merchant guild conspiracy fights and how both sides could try to get the church to crush the other. He nuts up for a second before just agreeing to have the thieves guild from ac2 do it.

I have a bit of a headcanon that no one really freaks out about holo(outside kaiju holo) because kami like her were once common and still are around just enough that leg breakers and secret squirrel guild types see them occasionally and the church is only kicking up a fuss now because they are slowly starting to see their version of the reformation happen and they want easy targets.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 25, 2024

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I have a bit of a headcanon that no one really freaks out about holo(outside kaiju holo) because kami like her were once common and still are around just enough that leg breakers and secret squirrel guild types see them occasionally and the church is only kicking up a fuss now because they are slowly starting to see their version of the reformation happen and they want easy targets.

So, to put on my 11th/12th century French heresy specialty cap for a second:

There is a point in the history of the Catholic Church where you can argue that it shifts from a faith of orthopraxy to a faith of orthodoxy and I can see something similar going on in Lawrence and Holo’s world with their faux Christianity. We have tons of documentary evidence of priests during the middle ages openly acknowledging that their flock was/is pagan as poo poo and shrugging their shoulders because it doesn’t matter what they BELIEVE as long as they PERFORM religion correctly. Show up for mass and observe other religious events and so on.

Eventually that starts to change and orthodoxy, right believing, becomes more important but even as late as I wanna say the 10th and early 11th century we have letters from bishops to the Pope about “my flock pagan what do?” and getting back a reply of “they showing up for mass? Yes? Don’t worry about it”.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

There is a point in the history of the Catholic Church where you can argue that it shifts from a faith of orthopraxy to a faith of orthodoxy and I can see something similar going on in Lawrence and Holo’s world with their faux Christianity. We have tons of documentary evidence of priests during the middle ages openly acknowledging that their flock was/is pagan as poo poo and shrugging their shoulders because it doesn’t matter what they BELIEVE as long as they PERFORM religion correctly. Show up for mass and observe other religious events and so on.

Eventually that starts to change and orthodoxy, right believing, becomes more important but even as late as I wanna say the 10th and early 11th century we have letters from bishops to the Pope about “my flock pagan what do?” and getting back a reply of “they showing up for mass? Yes? Don’t worry about it”.

This is an extremely fascinating bit of medieval history/theology that I had no idea about. Thanks!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I like how the show lures you in with the wolf girl rear end and boobies

I was lured in by hearing about the premise of being about economics. :shobon:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 25, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fantastic post, I have have been reading Carlo Ginzburg where he talks about the shift a bit, the church was fine with people doing trances to fight night wolves or having “weird beliefs” or whatever. The issues is when folks like hus started popping up who had different ideas and wouldn’t wouldn’t shut up and those thorns keep poking the church until eventually you get to the big reformation. The show definitely feels like it starts in northern Italy. The city is very clearly Florence. That plus costum design plus stuff holo says makes me think it’s 1480s or 90s. Hell I am pretty sure the sequel series is about the reformation to a degree.

DrSunshine posted:

This is an extremely fascinating bit of medieval history/theology that I had no idea about. Thanks!

I was lured in by hearing about the premise of being about economics. :shobon:

Genuinely I was lured in because I am new to manga and anime(only other thing I watched was Beastars because my gf recommended it and I enjoyed it) and other friends recommended spice and wolf to me, I do like the remake of the show more so far more. The original seems good but remake better at taking stuff slower and letting things cook. It also just does tone and the character dynamic better and holo acts non human more.
The only issue I have really is with holo giant wolf design in the remake. It’s too Akita looking. It looks good in motion and stuff but it’s just derpy looking.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 25, 2024

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Fantastic post, I have have been reading Carlo Ginzburg where he talks about the shift a bit, the church was fine with people doing trances to fight night wolves or having “weird beliefs” or whatever. The issues is when folks like hus started popping up who had different ideas and wouldn’t wouldn’t shut up and those thorns keep poking the church until eventually you get to the big reformation. The show definitely feels like it starts in northern Italy. The city is very clearly Florence. That plus costum design plus stuff holo says makes me think it’s 1480s or 90s. Hell I am pretty sure the sequel series is about the reformation to a degree.

Yeah to be clear you’re absolutely correct that this show is not in the 11/12th century milieu, I more used it as a poster child for the phenomenon which would still continue to play out much later on even in weird little Alps towns that the church didn’t particularly care to put any energy into tamping down on weird pagan poo poo that, again, wasn’t stopping people from going to mass.

I should really check out the sequel series.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It's good, and features the character shown in the framing scene for this series way back in episode one, who is one of my favorite in the entire series.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it's a two-cour season of 25 eps so we've got 17 more to go this year

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

I personally enjoyed the sequel series so little that despite owning all of the S&W books I put down the third volume of the sequel halfway through it and have not returned. I have heard that it took a break and got better but for now I'm good especially since S&W itself basically got a second wind continuation set during the same time period of the sequel so you get to hear some details of what's happening but with characters that I actually like.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 25, 2024

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Genuinely I was lured in because I am new to manga and anime(only other thing I watched was Beastars because my gf recommended it and I enjoyed it) and other friends recommended spice and wolf to me, I do like the remake of the show more so far more. The original seems good but remake better at taking stuff slower and letting things cook. It also just does tone and the character dynamic better and holo acts non human more.
The only issue I have really is with holo giant wolf design in the remake. It’s too Akita looking. It looks good in motion and stuff but it’s just derpy looking.

So some thought on this for context:

While in a vacuum, yes letting things cook more is good the thing is with anime…a lot of anime adaptations of manga don’t finish. Hell maybe even most. Not everybody is a One Piece or a Bleach.

With that in mind, given the breadth of content for Spice and Wolf, I am not exactly betting on us going the distance this time either.

Which is not to say they are making the WRONG choice per se by letting things breathe more this time but well…it makes abbreviating more understandable ya know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The current version isn't actually taking things slower on a per-episode basis. The first arc finished on episode 6 of both shows and episode 8, the most recent episode, ends at the exact same place as the old version's episode 8.