Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

that sucks though i'm about to have a brief stint with homelessness myself. summer seems like a lovely season to do that during

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
No OP. If you were old you would be called QuillHands.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

You become old to young people the moment you hit like 25 hope that helps.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Put your life into a larger context op. You're actually very young and will never be old. No matter what you're doomed to a short and insignificant existence.

I mean cheer up OP the 30s are the new 20s or whatever.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm 36. I've been old for at least 10 years now

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
old person cope thread

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Depends on how u treat urself/how lucky you are. I have friends my age who complain about how it sucks to squat down to pick something up or how their back hurts all the time and I don't have any of those issues. I got longterm poo poo from old sports injuries and somehow im still less hosed up lol. I have zero back issues, I can move around how I want, and I'm not constantly tired, but I also regularly take yoga classes, exercise at home, try to eat right. I also don't do poo poo like drink coffee nonstop.

I think a lot of physical issues people my age have are often times just because of being sedentary so yeah no poo poo ur back hurts if all you do is sit all day, your muscles shorten and atrophy and you'll place more emphasis on your lower back doing basic movements because your hamstrings are so pathetic and immobile that it needs to pick up the slack.

People who have repetitive stress issues from work are a whole different ball game and that poo poo isn't as easy to solve.

But I legit know people almost ten years younger than me who make me feel young and spry because they're already bitching about their knees lol.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Funky See Funky Do posted:

No matter what you're doomed to a short and insignificant existence.

:hellyeah:

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
I got a colonoscopy a few weeks ago at 41 (cancer runs in the family) and as I was waiting in the pre-op area, I overheard an older nurse telling a younger nurse to check out an old band called Nirvana. And then the doctor looked to be about 12.

But no, 30 isn’t old, and 40 isn’t either.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Seeing the moment when someone in their twenties gets called sir or ma'am by a teenager for the first time is the best, it's so loving funny. It's like natural ego death step one.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Three Olives posted:

I bought myself a bright red Mustang for my 40th birthday. I called it my mid-life crisis and people kept saying "Oh, you are only 40!" "Gurl, how long do you think I think I am going to live? Do you have any idea how much cocaine and alcohol I consumed in my 20s? 80? Really?"

William S. Burroughs lived to be 83, you might live long enough to join the singularity with your internet connected toaster.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I missed that post, imagine getting a Mustang to compensate like goddamn that's hilarious.

Edit: I mean it makes sense it was probably the nicest car 3O could afford tbh.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

MoonshineWilly posted:

I got a colonoscopy a few weeks ago at 41 (cancer runs in the family) and as I was waiting in the pre-op area, I overheard an older nurse telling a younger nurse to check out an old band called Nirvana. And then the doctor looked to be about 12.

But no, 30 isn’t old, and 40 isn’t either.

As long as you're into butt play getting older just means that the people sticking things up your rear end just get more and more qualified.

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023
I'm 37 and same days I feel old, but that's offset by having a job that will allow to buy stuff I could never afford as a kid or in my twenties

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

syntaxfunction posted:

I missed that post, imagine getting a Mustang to compensate like goddamn that's hilarious.

Edit: I mean it makes sense it was probably the nicest car 3O could afford tbh.

It's a crossover SUV, let's not get crazy, I turned 40, not 25.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Frasier, you bonehead!

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I think reaching peak power at 39 is not only common, but really easy.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm going to retire when I'm 39. :cool:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
retire deez nuts on ur chin

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Three Olives posted:

It's a crossover SUV, let's not get crazy, I turned 40, not 25.

25 year olds dont buy Mustangs, 60 year olds men who ask their nephews to burn them a mix cd with songs theyve written on the back of a CVS receipt do.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

kntfkr posted:

I'm going to retire when I'm 39. :cool:

Yeah right, not likely to

kntfkr posted:

retire deez nuts on ur chin

WTF :mad:

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

bump

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

AcidCat posted:

30s is the prime of your life. If you feelin old in your 30's shits gonna go downhill fast after you hit 40.

I was in much better shape in my 30's than I was in my 20's.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Being old is a state of mind.

Also, "old" is not the same as "adult"

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

bossy lady posted:

you're only old when you dont understand the way young people talk

I just fake it and nod along.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
and no. When you're 10, 20 seems old. When you're 20, 30 seems old. When you're 30, 40 seems old... etc. etc. "How the gently caress am I 50+ all of the sudden?!"

Well, at least I'm not old....

042424_6
Apr 24, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 24, 2024

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

I'm 38 but dropped out of high school and started working like full time at 14, I'm basically 50 already.

042424_6
Apr 24, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 24, 2024

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

kntfkr posted:

gently caress OFF!!!!

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
We were born the same year OP hell yeah

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Hotel Kpro posted:

We were born the same year OP hell yeah

Old.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I'm in my mid-30s and don't feel physically any different than a decade ago for the most part. I haven't lifted weights with a regular schedule in years though so I'm not as muscular as I was but :shrug:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Halfway through 36 here. Sometimes I feel old, other times I feel like I can still hang. Most of my friends are younger, from early 30s to mid-20s, and I like to stay close to music because I feel like it helps feeling 'in touch'. The unfortunate thing is that it's difficult to keep up the other side of that as you get older; the alcohol and drug use and late nights that go hand-in-hand with going to shows and parties regularly. I'm still working on making some of those lifestyle choices but I've taken some steps - starting a day job that's still close to music and hopefully to some networking opportunities, exploring other creative hobbies with similar potential, and no longer hanging out at dive bars with people who aren't really friends (this one is the most difficult, I'm obviously still sore). And it's already shown, I still have lapses but I'm in a good routine now and I feel pretty great most of the time.

But yeah, even the front half of my 30s when I was still hitting a lot of the vices, I could tell I was already beginning to let go of some of the general anxiety that plagued me in my 20s and prevented me from seizing opportunities. We all wish we could have jumped on that sooner, in a sense these are regrets, that are a bummer to think about. But to put it more bluntly, giving less of a gently caress is something that I think happens around this age and it's usually got a positive outcome. I had a lot of fun between like 32 and 35, more so than my 20s.

Physical fitness too, is something that (if it's important to you) starts to change drastically. It sucks how long it starts to take to recover from an injury (or a hangover), or how I no longer eat mountains of pasta for dinner and still stay lean. It takes a lot more effort and consistency, maybe some supplements you weren't using before. But I'm probably in the best shape of my life, even with some faltering here and there it's a point of pride that physically I feel pretty 'young', compared to a lot of people around me who are oft complaining of their bodies falling apart.

Howling Bells
May 10, 2007

Dear Pat Monaghan and that other guy,

We believe 'Hey Soul Sister' to be a ponderous and heartless money grab. You should be ashamed. It's not enough that you used the I-V-VI-IV chord progression, Beato, but you do it on a ukulele? It sounds like a Vonage commercial. Stop the Train!
No. But never trust a fart after 30.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Being in dive bars doesnt make me feel old insomuch as it makes me feel weird about the amount of time I used to spend in them.

Was recently back in Detroit and hit up an old haunt for lunch and was like drat I spent so many summer afternoon absolutely wasted inside this place.

My spot at the bar has just been taken up by some new whisky swilling hipster

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Until my heart develops a million disorders alongside detonating my spine/knee joints to make any active life impossible to live without searing pain, I'm not old.

So far, so good at 35...

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

How could you do this to me, some of us are sensitive about our age

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

When you need reading glasses to read labels and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

pencilhands posted:

Looking to hear from some oldgoons itt. I wouldn’t say im having a mid life crisis or anything like that but having just recently turned 35 im really starting to feel “old” for the first time in my life.

You drink alcohol every day. You should drink less alcohol and more water and do barefoot yoga as the sun rises.

Also this is about the age when a man should give prunes a 2nd chance.

I Miss Snausages posted:

William S. Burroughs lived to be 83, you might live long enough to join the singularity with your internet connected toaster.

Not only that but he wrote many times that heroin was keeping him young and other junkies similarly did not age and that someone should find the special "molecule" in the heroin that keeps you young.

Personally I think 3O should chop off his pinky and replace it with an Internet of Fingers device so that he can gift the original to his husband.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 25, 2024