Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

FinalGamer posted:

You DO realise there was a button that allowed you to switch viewpoints between the TWO snipers you had right? :v:

GOD DAMNIT! I thought there was a thing like that, but I thought it was just the game's camera loving up or something. Oh well now it's a challenge run I guess :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

TieTuesday posted:

GOD DAMNIT! I thought there was a thing like that, but I thought it was just the game's camera loving up or something. Oh well now it's a challenge run I guess :colbert:

Clearly this game is better designed than we've been giving it credit for if you're able to even complete it like you did. They could have done with some kind of prompt to let you know to switch views though at least.

The worse part about this level is that any kind of damage Ethan takes is carried over to the next level. I believe there are a few health kits along the way but you do have to go through the level a bit before you find it. So if you did a terrible job of protecting Ethan you'd just have to do the previous level again and hope the Wandering Grandpa Assassination League don't screw you up as much this time.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The worse part about this level is that any kind of damage Ethan takes is carried over to the next level.

Luckily even if you do fail any of the missions in the sequence, you can just start over at any of the segments. This actually comes up when I go through one of the later missions. If you were trying to do a no-miss speedrun though (why) it could be a problem.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

FinalGamer posted:

I remember the Nintendo Official Magazine UK actually mentioning this for their review of the game and they said it was "laughing in Tom Cruise's face directly for how blatant the model is".
Sounds more like N64 Magazine or something, because when this game came out NOM UK were already in full-on "pander to kiddy Nintendo fans" mode and that doesn't seem like something they'd print at the time. From what I recall, the actual review said "well they couldn't get Tom Cruise but the game still looks ace and feels like you're in the movie" or some poo poo like that.

If memory serves, this game got 84% in the review. Ah, 1998 was a simpler time.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

OH NO MAN posted:

Sounds more like N64 Magazine or something, because when this game came out NOM UK were already in full-on "pander to kiddy Nintendo fans" mode and that doesn't seem like something they'd print at the time. From what I recall, the actual review said "well they couldn't get Tom Cruise but the game still looks ace and feels like you're in the movie" or some poo poo like that.

If memory serves, this game got 84% in the review. Ah, 1998 was a simpler time.
Yeah yanno what, that does sound more like N64 Magazine than NOM UK you're right, I remember N64 Magazine. They were hilarious, I miss that magazine a lot. They alone were responsible for me buying like five of my fave N64 games purely by their riff-style reviews. The best one being Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon when they just completely made fun of the game intro's lyrics.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TieTuesday posted:

I'm pretty sure the way I learned that was Ethan getting shot at by someone behind that big sign and neither of them moving so all I did was push buttons in a furious "gently caress this game" rage as the health bar ticked down until I switched sniper viewpoints completely on accident.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Interesting idea for a mission, anyway. Anyone can be the shooter! Even models with both their hands full!

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME
You will never convince me that this isn't bad puzzle design.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TieTuesday posted:

The first time I played this, I didn't steal that dude's face, instead just sprinting through the train getting shot, and shooting Max square in the face.

I honestly thought that's just how you were supposed to do it, and you just had to do it before Max sets off the bomb.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

TieTuesday posted:

I love how shooting someone counts as knocking them out.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

Danaru posted:

The first time I played this, I didn't steal that dude's face, instead just sprinting through the train getting shot, and shooting Max square in the face.

I honestly thought that's just how you were supposed to do it, and you just had to do it before Max sets off the bomb.

That is probably more in line with the rest of the game quite frankly.

Hel posted:

I love how shooting someone counts as knocking them out.

"Mission Impossible" actually translates to "To knock someone out via bullets" in english.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

"Sorry for punching your ticket but I need to borrow your face" remains one of my favourite lines ever in videogames. It's just, there is no context where that ever could sound good :allears:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I don't remember this game being that hard or bullshit from when I was a child. I guess it has aged very very poorly and I must have had a bullshit tolerance back then. Because there's stuff in this game that just plain can't be fun.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 6, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Freezing the bomb is probably what would come to mind immediately since you probably played MGS2 and that's how you did it there.

Maybe if they had called it the bomb switch instead of a detonator you wouldn't have had those regrets.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

IGgy IGsen posted:

I don't remember this game being that hard or bullshit from when I was a child. I guess it has aged very very poorly and I must have had a I bullshit tolerance back then. Because there's stuff in this game that just plain can't be fun.

I think the overall consensus of this thread has been "I played this as a kid I remember it being pretty fun/cool, but wow that must be some serious nostalgia because this looks like poo poo!" and I am in the same boat myself. The reason I started the LP was because I remembered loving this game so much as a kid and wow I was so incredibly wrong.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I actually played the game way before i watched the actual film it's based off so when i was watching it i sat there wondering when Tom Cruise was gonna have to do weird jumps over acid.

Same thing happened with Goldeneye actually, was waiting all movie for Bond to pull out Dual Lasers and kill everybody on a boat.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, highlighting your misery just makes it more hilarious.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME
Double update since it has been a while.

First off Dectilon joins me as we explore a Mission Impossible game that is maybe actually impossible.

Then we finish the game! Or do we (we don't)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I'm almost embarrassed you both forgot the name of Total Recall, especially since there's that terrible remake which recently came out.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Phelps was alright. He walked out of the CIA (?) building, when you walked in.

Also: Rules of Nature :black101:

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm almost embarrassed you both forgot the name of Total Recall, especially since there's that terrible remake which recently came out.

I blame being entirely mentally drained from just thinking about the time I recorded that video.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Holy poo poo I cannot believe there's an even worse Mission Impossible game out there :stonk: jesus christ that's bad. That's like the everything-bad of videogame design, that's like Satan personified of game design, how do you gently caress that up so bad and not have anyone TELL YOU?

Like, if at least ONE GUY had just said "this is kinda bullshit", but no. No...god.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, that NES game. Definitely typical of the era.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

TieTuesday posted:

Then we finish the game! Or do we (we don't)

Or did you?

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

Technically it's still up in the air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TieTuesday posted: