Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah

whatis posted:

gently caress literally every team in the NHL that isn't Buffalo

Buffalo owns because in both the NFL and the NHL I can count on them being awful and never winning a championship forever. Death, Taxes, and Buffalo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What were Boston and Chicago ticket prices last year, for comparison's sake?

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah

Aphrodite posted:

What were Boston and Chicago ticket prices last year, for comparison's sake?

I found this thing:
http://tba.seatgeek.com/sports/the-stanley-cup-finals-tickets-bruins-blackhawks-tickets/

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

whatis posted:

The question of "why do the lovely Sabres get so many nationally televised games on NBC?" has been asked a couple of times this season, and to illustrate why:

NBCSportsPR @NBCSportsPR · 3h
Top 5 markets for last night's Game 7: Chicago 22.7; Buffalo 7.3; L.A. 4.8; Min-SP 4.3; Boston 3.9

Those numbers will likely go up for the finals

go minneapolis and buffalo, screw the haters

:downs::hf::downs:

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
LA just needs a few more Cups and the fans will come rolling in.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Mr. Kite posted:

LA just needs a few more Cups and the fans will come rolling in.

"A few more" he says. poo poo if you dropped a Cup in Columbus right now and never let them have another for 40 loving years, they'd still be sold out from here to eternity. LA Fans are well beyond jaded about hockey and that's unlikely to change in our lifetimes.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Overwined posted:

"A few more" he says. poo poo if you dropped a Cup in Columbus right now and never let them have another for 40 loving years, they'd still be sold out from here to eternity. LA Fans are well beyond jaded about hockey and that's unlikely to change in our lifetimes.

Counterpoint: there are two professional sports teams in Columbus and they've been there for barely longer than a fart in the wind. LA has just so many other teams with rich histories and lots of championships. Terrible comparison.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

As a bitter Hawks fan who can unfortunately relate to Dominic Moore the Rangers are the clear choice here. Also, if the Rangers win it makes Vancouver look worse which is always a great thing.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

^^^^^^^^
Why does New York winning make Vancouver look worse? I'm a devoted Canucks fan, and I can tell you that I'm pulling for the Rangers. There is little to no love for the Kings in Vancouver. People are over 94. 2011 and 2012 are the new man baby rage inducing incidents in team history.

Overwined posted:

Yeah, look what one cup did for Pittsburgh and Chicago. They're two of the biggest markets in hockey and don't look to be cooling off any time soon. If LA couldn't develop a fan base after 2012, I don't think another one will change things substantially.

New York is largely in the same situation. There was a spike of interest in 94, but it faded quickly. Tickets might be expensive, but as I understand it the hype in the city is still fairly muted. All it will take is the Jets to sign a new running back or the Yankees to go on a 5 game winning streak for everyone to forget about hockey again.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 2, 2014

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Furious Lobster posted:

Counterpoint: there are two professional sports teams in Columbus and they've been there for barely longer than a fart in the wind. LA has just so many other teams with rich histories and lots of championships. Terrible comparison.

You see it's called compare and contrast. If I used a team's fanbase that was just like LA, what would that show? The reasons for LA fans being jaded are kind of moot. It'd take a whole shitload to create a healthy fanbase there.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, look what one cup did for Pittsburgh and Chicago. They're two of the biggest markets in hockey and don't look to be cooling off any time soon. If LA couldn't develop a fan base after 2012, I don't think another one will change things substantially.

New York is largely in the same situation. There was a spike of interest in 94, but it faded quickly. Tickets might be expensive, but as I understand it the hype in the city is still fairly muted. All it will take is the Jets to sign a new running back or the Yankees to go on a 5 game winning streak for everyone to forget about hockey again.

Yeah, I agree. New York is jaded in a whole other way, though. They sell out almost every home game and save a dip here or there have since '94. And this will continue. Their problem is that they'll leave one-goal games like idiots or they'll be quiet as church mice if things aren't going exactly their way. It makes us look bad on TV and poo poo, but whatever, they still spend their money.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
So lets say the Kings win and Kopitar puts up... 2 goals and 5 assists in 6 games. That makes two Cups and two times leading the playoffs in points, assists, and possibly +/-.

Is Anze still not a top 5 center?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

Is Anze still not a top 5 center?

Yes

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

The only funny controversy over this Cup vis a vis Vancouver is when the Rangers were sucking rear end early in the season there were plenty of Vancouver fans lording it over us as if we had gotten the wrong end of that swap. I don't want to name names, but I will if any of you (you know who you are) get uppity!

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Obviously it's all just a matter of hindsight, but in the long run I'd rather my team not make the playoffs than lose in the final

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

ThinkTank posted:

Tickets might be expensive, but as I understand it the hype in the city is still fairly muted.

There is definitely more hype than I have seen before. In general walking around Manhattan you see a lot more people wearing Rangers clothing, and they have some big wooden pieces spelling out RANGERSTOWN at some park on 23rd St. I agree it is probably all hype and it will die down afterwards, but currently the hockey-related buzz in New York City is much larger.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Tailored Sauce posted:

There is definitely more hype than I have seen before. In general walking around Manhattan you see a lot more people wearing Rangers clothing, and they have some big wooden pieces spelling out RANGERSTOWN at some park on 23rd St. I agree it is probably all hype and it will die down afterwards, but currently the hockey-related buzz in New York City is much larger.

It helps that they've been getting the newspaper covers too.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

LmaoTheKid posted:

It helps that they've been getting the newspaper covers too.

Constant newspaper covers, christ

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

onemillionzombies posted:

As a bitter Hawks fan who can unfortunately relate to Dominic Moore the Rangers are the clear choice here.

dang dude :(

ThinkTank posted:

The lockout immediately after the '94 cup was a killer, and '94 itself was special in a lot of ways, can't really hope to compare this run to that.

I think if the Rangers won you'd see a pretty big explosion in fandom

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Levitate posted:

The lockout immediately after the '94 cup was a killer, and '94 itself was special in a lot of ways, can't really hope to compare this run to that.

OJ sort of stole their thunder, too, that happened literally the day of the parade iirc

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

And that's why I always say, "gently caress The Juice!"

Well I say it for other reasons, but it applies here.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

ThinkTank posted:

^^^^^^^^
Why does New York winning make Vancouver look worse?
AV winning the Cup after being fired by Vancouver is probably the storyline being ran with :shrug:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

deafmute posted:

AV winning the Cup after being fired by Vancouver is probably the storyline being ran with :shrug:

Looking forward to lots of Torts faces looking all ashamed.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
My jersey from '94 still fits...

...sorta

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

deafmute posted:

Yep. I actually don't mind that team so much anymore, they got more hate than they deserved and were always entertaining to watch. Their management is a disgrace though and deserves horrible hockey karma.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Levitate posted:

All the fresh LA fans got to sit through a big lovely lockout too, which didn't help their attention spans. At least the media can actually pronounce our players' names correctly this year. The two sports reporters for KTLA often come to the bar I watch from to see games, and they're surprisingly knowledgeable. The days of Brad Doty and Andy Kopidor are behind us :v:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Tailored Sauce posted:

yeah i've been seeing rangers apparel everywhere in new york lately, it's pretty nice. hopefully there will at least be some momentum there going into next season, poo poo maybe a few back pages over the knicks next regular seasohahahahhah yeah right

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

The Casualty posted:

All the fresh LA fans got to sit through a big lovely lockout too, which didn't help their attention spans. At least the media can actually pronounce our players' names correctly this year. The two sports reporters for KTLA often come to the bar I watch from to see games, and they're surprisingly knowledgeable. The days of Brad Doty and Andy Kopidor are behind us :v:

A bold prediction.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

As a dummy that roots for a loser team I should be in here, but I had a vision this morning:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Boo my jersey order was denied

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

JoelJoel posted:

As a dummy that roots for a loser team I should be in here, but I had a vision this morning:

Thats not a vision, thats a nightmare. All its missing is a floating Mark Messier head in the background. :cry:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Furious Lobster posted:

No other "pro" teams, but Ohio State is the 500lb gorilla in the room all other teams in Columbus have to deal with, with a bunch of spoiled fans who think a two-loss season is utterly unacceptable and seem to be bitter any other teams would DARE set foot in Their Town.

Despite that, I think there are a lot more people taking the Jackets seriously now thanks to JD and Jarmo making up a competent front office which, so far, has finally led to competitive teams.

How that might compare to any teams in LA, I don't know.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

ZeeBoi posted:

Boo my jersey order was denied

same :(

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I work right near MSG, there's definitely more Rangers stuff around these days. I think the MSL storyline is drawing a lot of people in.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
LA should take notice and sacrifice someone's relative, make that narrative really pop.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

This year will be the first in NHL history a Cup winner has played more than 18 games in the first three rounds -- 21 for the Kings, 20 for the Rangers.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Since the Rangers beat the Pens I've been seeing more Rangers paraphernalia worn by people on non-gamedays. Not quite to the levels of baseball stuff, but anything is more than the usual zero. Just past a guy with a Callahan shirt on the subway a few minutes ago.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Scott Burnside, noted Kings hater, of course picks the Rangers because they are "well rested". Solid critique there, Scott.

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
What I don't get is the people saying that the Rangers have a chance because they had an easier path to the Finals and the Kings are beat up and tired. If the Rangers path was easier but the Rangers needed almost as many games to get here, doesn't that mean the Kings beat better teams and are therefore a better team than the Rangers?

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 3, 2014

• Locked thread