Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
---
This poll is closed.
Go Heat! 96 28.15%
Go Spurs! 245 71.85%
Total: 341 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

DeimosRising posted:

Do you not just enjoy watching good basketball? Sure it would be cooler if it was Suns Raptors but this should be a cool series. Granted last year there were really only 3 or 4 good games out of 7, but those were really cool games.

There's infinite opportunities in life to watch good basketball. You expect the finals to be something better than a "good rerun". It's hard to watch a series without a rooting interest and try to cheer for two teams you pretty much always root against, and furthermore difficult when you try to search for a compelling narrative reason to watch and it's like "Will Oden get his first ring? Can Battier tie another one on before becoming an ESPN Talking Head? Will Duncan complete his 5-ring Punisher fist gauntlet he's always dreamed of?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Libertine posted:

There's infinite opportunities in life to watch good basketball.

The number of series that have been better than last years is really really small.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Please, Duncan would turn 5 rings into an Infinity Gauntlet

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Groucho Marxist posted:

He needs 6 for that.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Sneaky Fast posted:

I think he will be. I saw him talking about how to play defense on great scorers (Kobe specifically) and it was great.

How did Battier factor into LBJ's growth as a player?

Everyonce in a while, Lebron (tries) takes a charge.

3peat
May 6, 2010

quote:

The PPP poll found across all political ideologies, the Spurs were the preferred winners over the Heat with “very conservative” voters picking San Antonio by the largest margin, 42-15 percent.

Breaking the numbers down by race, Hispanic voters picked the Heat by a 31-28 percent margin while African-American’s picked the Heat by a 44-28 percent margin. White voters favored the Spurs by 17 percent, 32-15 percent.
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/06/14/poll-most-americans-cheering-for-spurs-in-finals/

So uh how bout that Obama taking your guns or whatever :)

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Mandrel posted:

Is all this just speculation and fanfiction based on those Battier quotes where he said "LeBron has gotten really into analytics" or what

I can't find the article so I'm worried I dreamed it up but I swear I read something where Battier was boning up on analytics and Lebron was like hey whats that

Groucho Marxist posted:

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Tae posted:

He needs 6 for that.

Was about to call you a tremendous nerd before I shamefully GISed the gauntlet.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I just hope this year's Finals is a bunch of games that are like game 6 of last year. Hopefully we don't get a Finals made up of games like last year's game 2 or 3.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

For real I just want Tim Duncan to get one last ring.

And for Pat Riley to not win.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

MourningView posted:

The number of series that have been better than last years is really really small.
Clippers Warriors and Thunder Grizzlies were fully sick

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Duncan has four rings but the one he'll always treasure the most is the recreation of Galadriel's ring forged by Celebrimbor

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

3peat posted:

You better get a name change before Pat Riley sues you

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Doltos posted:

Duncan has four rings but the one he'll always treasure the most is the recreation of Galadriel's ring forged by Celebrimbor
when you see something you just have to have in SkyMall...

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

3peat posted:

That's not fair, we're just extremely white. Except I think all the people who have posted about not being white are also pro-Spurs. WhyteRyce where does Asian SAS stand in the basketball racewars?

edit also way to misuse apostrophes CBS Miami. Good copy editing, dummies

Libertine posted:

There's infinite opportunities in life to watch good basketball. You expect the finals to be something better than a "good rerun". It's hard to watch a series without a rooting interest and try to cheer for two teams you pretty much always root against, and furthermore difficult when you try to search for a compelling narrative reason to watch and it's like "Will Oden get his first ring? Can Battier tie another one on before becoming an ESPN Talking Head? Will Duncan complete his 5-ring Punisher fist gauntlet he's always dreamed of?"

I guess I just disagree. I value the quality of the games over narrative and novelty by an enormous margin.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

I love Steven Adams.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Once again being mixed race is why I'm undecided.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I know most people here (or anywhere!) aren't terribly interested in valuation, but this is a pretty interesting post on the clippers purchase:
http://aswathdamodaran.blogspot.com/2014/06/ballmers-bid-for-clippers-investment.html

He basically concludes that Ballmer overpaid, which I'm sure is something that isn't in great contention here, but at least it has evidence to support the conclusion. It isn't too technical of a read, but if anyone has any questions about what is going on I'd be glad to clarify.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I'm fully rooting for the Spurs despite them having ousted my team in heartbreaking fashion, but I've also said before that I'd probably root for the Klan in the finals before I'd root for the Heat so I guess there's my relevant contribution to that survey data.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

mike- posted:

I know most people here (or anywhere!) aren't terribly interested in valuation, but this is a pretty interesting post on the clippers purchase:
http://aswathdamodaran.blogspot.com/2014/06/ballmers-bid-for-clippers-investment.html

He basically concludes that Ballmer overpaid, which I'm sure is something that isn't in great contention here, but at least it has evidence to support the conclusion. It isn't too technical of a read, but if anyone has any questions about what is going on I'd be glad to clarify.

It's super understandable, and that seems like a much better evaluation than what Forbes does.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

How can you not be excited about these Finals? It's better because it's a rematch from last year.

What would you people rather have had?

-Not the Pacers because they're boring and bitchy
-Any other ECF team would get destroyed
-OKC would have been cool for the sweet dunks and for Durant vs. LeBron, but the fact is that they don't have an offense
-Clippers would have been cool
-Grizzlies: ehhh
-Rockets and Portland would both get killed in the Finals

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
We get to watch Lebron throw down sick nasty dunks and the spurs passing so crisply it looks like loving nightcrawler is on the court. That is just to start, I am so excited for this finals but I can see how people might get turned off if they view the game as 5jerseys vs 5jerseys.

Now to spend an hour looking at spurs passing gifs.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Boosh! posted:

Phil Jackson already paying dividends.

:unsmith:

Norm Macdonald described Odom as having "accidentally married the wrong Kardashian". I got nothing but sympathy for Lamar, I hope JR doesn't test his sobriety too hard

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

big boi posted:

How can you not be excited about these Finals? It's better because it's a rematch from last year.

What would you people rather have had?

-Not the Pacers because they're boring and bitchy
-Any other ECF team would get destroyed
-OKC would have been cool for the sweet dunks and for Durant vs. LeBron, but the fact is that they don't have an offense
-Clippers would have been cool
-Grizzlies: ehhh
-Rockets and Portland would both get killed in the Finals

LOL at listing Rockets and Portland, they didn't belong. If you list them you might as well list the Mavs.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This is a little crazy:

In 1984, the Celtics and Lakers did battle in that year's NBA Finals. The Celtics were 62-20 during the regular season while the Lakers were 54-28. The NBA welcomed a new commissioner in David Stern, replacing Larry O'Brien on April 1, 1984. The Finals that season was also the last time the Finals used the 2-2-1-1-1 format before going to the 2-3-2 format in 1985.

In 2014, the Spurs and Heat will do battle in this year's NBA Finals. The Spurs were 62-20 during the regular season and the Heat were 54-28. The NBA welcomed a new commissioner in Adam Silver on February 1, replacing David Stern. This Finals will be, for the first time since 1984, using the 2-2-1-1-1 format.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I can't find the article but Battier was the first/only player in the league to buy into analytics (the team dokmo would make an advanced metrics notebook for each matchup and Shane would be the only player to receive a copy), and when he signed with Miami he explained them to Lebron and turned him into an analysts wet dream that posts up a lot and shoots corner 3s.

Obv some of that can be attributed to the Miami coaching staff or his natural progression as a player, but his efficiency only skyrocketed after Battier signed with the Heat.

Maybe the No Stats All Star NYTimes article? 2009

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

NYTimes occasionally throws a max articles paywall but you can get around by using private/incognito browsing.

Edit: it's slightly strange writing because he's simultaneously better and worse at basketball than the article describes.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 3, 2014

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

mike- posted:

I'm pretty sure that a ego premium purchasing price on sports team ownership is something that is well-established in economic theory, I remember reading something about it in grad school five years ago and I think that article in particular was already ten years old. Billionaires love sports teams and there's only so many major franchises in the world to buy, and a big one like a Los Angeles professional sports team becomes available maybe once or twice in a lifetime (I would have said once but then I remembered the Dodgers just transferred ownership like a year or two ago).

All that said though, that was an excellent article well-written and researched. I also learned the the Indian Cricket league sounds corrupt as gently caress.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
It's okay if you don't like the Spurs or the Heat because neither of them will win; in game 5 the wizards and the knicks plan to storm the court and usher a dark era of tag team championships.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Marcin Gortat storming anything would be terrifying. Him and let's say Pekovic and Zach Randolph and a few others look like champions that the invading horde holds in reserve to break the spirit of the populace, present them in front of the city walls devouring raw flesh and wearing animal bones and heaving jagged battleaxes.

MourningView posted:

His game is seriously Duke and gently caress and I don't know why everyone gives him a pass for it. I guess because he isn't white, but he still managed to overcome that to be the Dukeiest player in history.

I'm pretty sure he's been in some articles bragging about being from Duke and Duke players being the smartest of all within the two years.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Halalelujah posted:

We get to watch Lebron throw down sick nasty dunks and the spurs passing so crisply it looks like loving nightcrawler is on the court.

all-time X-men team

PG: Wolverine (he can play for a full 48 minutes each game, undersized)
SG: Nightcrawler (can get to the basket from anywhere)
SF: Quicksilver (speedy, adept at cutting in to passing lanes)
PF: Gambit (lengthy, excellent distributor. High energy)
C: Colossus (won't back down in the post)

Bench: Longshot (clutch)

Coach: Magneto (he goes for the win)

gently caress Cyclops.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I'd like to see Kitty Pryde make a mess of the charge rules, but Magneto as a coach is a bad idea. You don't want the guy who's been losing at the end since the Holocaust--take Professor Xavier instead. If he can coach from Cerebro he's practically a class 5 mutant. You might even be able to field Legion with Xavier coaching, otherwise he's going to be way too wild and will destroy the earth unless you D-league him off to the astral plane.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The Asian Oprah posted:

I'd like to see Kitty Pryde make a mess of the charge rules, but Magneto as a coach is a bad idea. You don't want the guy who's been losing at the end since the Holocaust--take Professor Xavier. If he can coach from Cerebro he's practically a class 5 mutant.

I would slot Professor X as a front office guy, a GM. Amazing ability to convince free agents to play for his team.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The Asian Oprah posted:

I'd like to see Kitty Pryde make a mess of the charge rules, but Magneto as a coach is a bad idea. You don't want the guy who's been losing at the end since the Holocaust--take Professor Xavier. If he can coach from Cerebro he's practically a class 5 mutant.

Professor X is the clear choice for coach, he can make sure plays are run correctly. Jean Gray should be included due to telekinesis. Cyclops should be the pg since he is known for being a great leader/tactician. Wolverine it too emotional and loses sight of the goal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nerd poo poo in the NBA thread.

Here is my starting Five of Silmarillion characters:

PG: Manwe
SG: Galadriel
SF: Melian
PF: Feanor
C: Morgoth

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

euphronius posted:

Nerd poo poo in the NBA thread.

Here is my starting Five of Silmarillion characters:

PG: Manwe
SG: Galadriel
SF: Melian
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Morgoth

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I would have put the Two Trees of Valinor at PF and C but your team would absolutely destroy mine :[

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Would Multiple Man be a serviceable 8th man or would he just clog the lane with his army of duplicates?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was a kid I had fused comics and basketball together and had an imaginary basketball league in my head (3 on 3 basketball with rosters of up to 8 active, 2 inactive players), my Lakers analog was Hulk joining the X-Men.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Tom Bombadil is great at home but always no-shows on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The best comic book basketball team:

• Locked thread