Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
It would be kinda cool if they did change their name and logo to get on the red/white tip that the other teams here have embraced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost
Washington Weeaboos

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I am Toni Lippi posted:

Washington Foreskins, uncut heroes of the grid iron.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Spanish Manlove posted:

What would be a better name?

Washington Wagonburners

it's got alliteration going for it

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

here's hoping it sticks

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Washington Gangrapists

gotta piss off some indians

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 590 days!

dee eight posted:

Washington Wagonburners

it's got alliteration going for it

Every time they score a touchdown they burn a conestoga wagon full of injuns.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

Trixie Hardcore posted:

He has said before that I should be president because I'm really smart & know lots of stuff which I think means I'm actually super dumb.

it's probably his backhanded way of saying he thinks your real dad's an "african american"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

amityville anus posted:

Washington Gangrapists

gotta piss off some indians
Washington Red-dots

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

quote:

Federal trademark law does not permit registration of trademarks that “may disparage” individuals or groups or “bring them into contempt or disrepute.”

quote:

The ruling does not mean that the Redskins have to change the name of the team.

:thurman:

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

Bung Harmer posted:

SJWs care more about the name of a dumb sports team than the actual Native Americans who live in conditions far worse than you could possibly imagine. Armchair Slacktivism at its finest.

Washington Trail of Tears

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
^^^That guy's Italian, FYI. :v:

I've been saying this for years whenever this has come up: The Washington Redskins should change their logo to a bag of red-skin Spanish peanuts. Peanuts are a sporting event icon. Vendors have sold them at games for so long that they're an American sports icon. They get to keep the name, and it completely skirts the whole race issue with Native Americans. Unless your problem is literally that peanuts can't represent a team because they're not threatening (unless you have a peanut allergy), it's win-win. Sporting arenas would make a killing selling official Redskins peanuts.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Coffee Wolf posted:

wasn't that guy italian?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

cool :toot:

best part gonna be (to continue) watching white people be outraged here, in the media and on racist off-sites

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

Unhinged Vulcan posted:

wasn't that guy italian?

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

Unhinged Vulcan posted:

wasn't that guy italian?

aayyyy oh!!! deres trash ova here!!!! eeoohh!!!! bada boom bada bing im tearin up OH!!!! its a cryin shame ova here!! what am i da garbage man?? OH fettucini gorgonzola mozoRELL!!! OH!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 590 days!

Bobby Brown posted:

aayyyy oh!!! deres trash ova here!!!! eeoohh!!!! bada boom bada bing im tearin up OH!!!! its a cryin shame ova here!! what am i da garbage man?? OH fettucini gorgonzola mozoRELL!!! OH!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the washington scoop jacksons

halftime show is a boring white guy trundling out onto the field to deliver a droning speech about securing american interests in se asia

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Fried Chicken posted:

I say we rename them the Washington Congressmen, because they never manage to pass anything either

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
The Washington Supersonics has a nice ring to it. :)

naem
May 29, 2011

Washington Natives has a nice ring to it

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

naem posted:

Washington Natives has a nice ring to it

it really should be this.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
washington natives mascot is a guy who you'll never be friends with unless you went to high school with him

naem
May 29, 2011

Make the logo be a respectful representation of a native guy, the Chicago Blackhawks hockey logo is pretty good imo

naem
May 29, 2011

What if the minnesota Vikings used to be called the Honkey Crackaz and they had to change it

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Coffee Wolf posted:

Washington Jacksons

away game series called Trail of Tears.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the washington lobbyists

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Redskins got a racist name
Indians got a racist logo

This would be easier to sort out if one team/sport had both at once

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Iamblikhos posted:

it's probably his backhanded way of saying he thinks your real dad's an "african american"

It's funny you mention it because my biological father is half Native American irl but my stepdad does not consider me a "red woman" because I'm not pure blooded I guess. I love my stepdad and he really doesn't realize how terrible the things he says are because he is basically Forrest Gump with PTSD & none of the inexplicable success. Like when he told me you never see "red men gangstas living in the projects shooting each other" and I mentioned that most of the Native American population died when Europeans moved in & most of what small population remains live on reservations in abysmal conditions with little government aid he felt really bad about the plight of the "red man" and suggested they would be in the right if they wanted to kill all the white people.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

paranoid randroid posted:

the washington lobbyists

The Beltway Bandits

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

why do people oppose the name change i mean its just a name are they mad they will have to buy new bedspreads

naem
May 29, 2011

Phoon posted:

why do people oppose the name change i mean its just a name are they mad they will have to buy new bedspreads

They come out with new collectible stuff every year they'd just have to change one word to something not terrible next year

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
They are mad because changing things that don't directly benefit white Christian males is always a stupid idea. Being offending & changing behaviors or traditions is for gaybos. Sure they change a sport team name today but tomorrow they are rounding us up in FEMA camps & no one will be allowed to punch gay people, where does it end??

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

The Beltway Bandits

the k street butchers

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

naem posted:

They come out with new collectible stuff every year they'd just have to change one word to something not terrible next year

It'd be a great boon for the sports memorabilia industry when it all becomes super-collectible for haggard old bigots with too much money

Like those weird little super-racist pickaninny figurines you occasionally see in antique stores for $250

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Phoon posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Trixie Hardcore posted:

my biological father is half Native American irl but my stepdad does not consider me a "red woman" because I'm not pure blooded I guess.

Do you identify as such yourself?

• Locked thread