Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I live in Oklahoma, my vote does not matter.

:angel: Best democracy in the world! :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Rand alPaul posted:

I live in Oklahoma, my vote does not matter.

:angel: Best democracy in the world! :angel:

Hey, yours might.

(Love you DC.)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Fried Chicken posted:

There has been a very neglected point about the control of congress that I want to make. Everyone has been focused on the senate. But the house is going to be huge here no matter who takes the senate, and even worse if the GOP does take the senate.

Right now Boehner can barely keep the tea party in line. He has enough moderates that when he can't keep them sane he can grovel to Pelosi and get enough Democratic votes to not sink the ship. Pelosi can let about 1/6th of her caucus vote their way and still deliver the votes to make up for any tea party tantrum. But that's about to change. Between GOP retirements, primary wins and losses, and dems losing in off years, the tea party caucus in the house is looking to grow by 28. Most of those are GOP seats remaining in GOP control but the party isn't the issue so much as the sanity of the rear end in the chair is the issue. With those 28 flipping to the tea baggers that sharply changes the calculus of getting anything through the house. Because now Pelosi will only be able to release 4 democrats to vote against these bills instead of the usual 32. And of course, the ones who would be in a position to jam it up if they vote the way people want back home come from the most liberal states.

This isn't a cause for hope. Yes, one option is they try to work around the tea party and let 5 representatives from Vermont be the effective gatekeepers on what gets passed. Obamacare will be repealed and replaced with single payer; health care and maple syrup for all! But that'd not what is going to happen. What is going to happen is the tea party is going to have pretty much a lock on legislation. They may not play the game well enough to sit in the titled seats, but they will be running the show because, again, without them not even the sane poo poo like budget authorization will pass. A 90 seat caucus of nuts will be driving the legislative agenda. And to the extent they have been pacified these past 4 years its because they have been told "we can't do poo poo while the dems have the senate". Now that's gone.

In case my inane late night rambling has this far failed to make its point, let's look at an example of resolving the nuttiness. To end the shutdown the 2013 budget authorization act passed 332-94, with 62 Rs and 32 Ds voting against and 169 Rs and 163 Ds voting for. If that 62 becomes 90 then the only way to pass it is
A) make it liberal enough that only 4 or less Ds will vote no while simultaneously keeping it conservative enough that you don't lose any republicans (good luck there)
B) make it extreme enough to appeal to the 90 tea baggers

Tuesday is not the time to drink yourself to death. That comes later

Harshing my pre-election buzz, man.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

nutranurse posted:

Harshing my pre-election buzz, man.

Here's some optimism for ya: Nobody is stupid enough to shut down the government during an Ebola epidemic with a 95% probability of 3 to 120 case importations in American cities between last week and 1 Jan 2014.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

My Imaginary GF posted:

Here's some optimism for ya: Nobody is stupid enough to shut down the government during an Ebola epidemic with a 95% probability of 3 to 120 case importations in American cities between last week and 1 Jan 2014.

The fact that you are naive enough to believe this is precious.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

My Imaginary GF posted:

Nobody is stupid enough

The dumbest four words in politics.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ErIog posted:

The fact that you are naive enough to believe this is precious.

Ebola is a national security concern, and America takes national security concerns very seriously. Seriously enough to expose everything dirty gathered through extra-judicial means on those who propose to shut down security programs

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Ebola is a national security concern, and America takes national security concerns very seriously. Seriously enough to expose everything dirty gathered through extra-judicial means on those who propose to shut down security programs

Don't worry, we'll exempt everything Ebola related. They can keep working, but we'll shut down the rest of the government. Unless Democrats refuse to allow Ebola spending. Why are Democrats blocking spending on Ebola protection?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Nobody admits to wanting a shutdown, though. They blame the Dems and "RINOs" for not passing their budget, which cuts just about everything but doesn't cut national security.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ditocoaf posted:

Nobody admits to wanting a shutdown, though. They blame the Dems and "RINOs" for not passing their budget, which cuts just about everything but doesn't cut national security.

Solution: make everything a national security issue

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

My Imaginary GF posted:

Solution: make everything a national security issue

It already is true though. Without a healthy, fit population, we'll be unprepared for the next total war. Solution? Socialized health care and fitness programs.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

VanSandman posted:

It already is true though. Without a healthy, fit population, we'll be unprepared for the next total war. Solution? Socialized health care and fitness programs.

I've unironically used this argument before. I 100% agree with you on that. Also, national passenger rail is a national security priority. So is properly funded public transit operating 6 times per hour at minimum per fixed right-of-way route.

100% disclosure on campaign contributions and related issue financing is a national security priority. I have it on good authority Senator Rand Paul has benefited from a Russian ad campaign designed to undermine America and shut down the federal government during this Ebola epidemic.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'm not quite seeing national passenger rail. How do you justify it?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

VanSandman posted:

I'm not quite seeing national passenger rail. How do you justify it?

In case terrorists ever bring down all domestic flights in America. Our rail system operates under capacity due to the switch to one-line operation after the switchback innovation of the 60s. Because of this, our food supply--which China's state corporations are buying up, an issue upon which Senator Stabenow prepared you an executive brief several times over the last seven months--is at risk for transportation disruption.

We must expand national high-speed passenger rail capacity so that terrorists working in conjunction with China don't shut down both our food distribution and domestic transit freedom at the same time through a coordinated covert strike. In case of an emergency, this excess rail capacity may be used for military transport and for emergency food redistribution.

Why do you support communists control over America's pork supply, Senator? What have you been hiding with your dark money expenditures?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

There is no "America" there are only craven individual sociopaths, in power, acting for themselves. Many programs affected by the shutdown killed more than your sad African disease. There is no secret dirty tricks program to prevent shutdowns, you delusional man.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Fried Chicken posted:

There has been a very neglected point about the control of congress that I want to make. Everyone has been focused on the senate. But the house is going to be huge here no matter who takes the senate, and even worse if the GOP does take the senate.

Right now Boehner can barely keep the tea party in line. He has enough moderates that when he can't keep them sane he can grovel to Pelosi and get enough Democratic votes to not sink the ship. Pelosi can let about 1/6th of her caucus vote their way and still deliver the votes to make up for any tea party tantrum. But that's about to change. Between GOP retirements, primary wins and losses, and dems losing in off years, the tea party caucus in the house is looking to grow by 28. Most of those are GOP seats remaining in GOP control but the party isn't the issue so much as the sanity of the rear end in the chair is the issue. With those 28 flipping to the tea baggers that sharply changes the calculus of getting anything through the house. Because now Pelosi will only be able to release 4 democrats to vote against these bills instead of the usual 32. And of course, the ones who would be in a position to jam it up if they vote the way people want back home come from the most liberal states.

This isn't a cause for hope. Yes, one option is they try to work around the tea party and let 5 representatives from Vermont be the effective gatekeepers on what gets passed. Obamacare will be repealed and replaced with single payer; health care and maple syrup for all! But that'd not what is going to happen. What is going to happen is the tea party is going to have pretty much a lock on legislation. They may not play the game well enough to sit in the titled seats, but they will be running the show because, again, without them not even the sane poo poo like budget authorization will pass. A 90 seat caucus of nuts will be driving the legislative agenda. And to the extent they have been pacified these past 4 years its because they have been told "we can't do poo poo while the dems have the senate". Now that's gone.

In case my inane late night rambling has this far failed to make its point, let's look at an example of resolving the nuttiness. To end the shutdown the 2013 budget authorization act passed 332-94, with 62 Rs and 32 Ds voting against and 169 Rs and 163 Ds voting for. If that 62 becomes 90 then the only way to pass it is
A) make it liberal enough that only 4 or less Ds will vote no while simultaneously keeping it conservative enough that you don't lose any republicans (good luck there)

You should copy/paste this into the 1st post of the thread. Not that it isn't already pretty good but this gives some useful context to all the binge drinking that'll be going on for newcomers who've come to gawp in awe at our collective alcoholism.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I got robocalled five times today to hear John Legend ask me to vote "Tuck" for California's State Superintendent of Public Instruction. Thanks, John!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Should the GOP get a Senate majority, can they successfully impeach Fried Chicken?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I live in Virginia's first so I get to indulge in my biannual tradition of voting for a promising D who gets properfly butt hosed by blandest man on the planet runner-up Rob Wittman. It was sort of disheartening when Krystal Ball got squashed because she had natinonal recognition, if only for being within arms reach of a dildo, but last time didn't even register as an emotional event. That said, it will be pretty sad to see Norm Mosher's total anal annhilation because he seems a decent old man who actually doesn't want to pull up the ladder behind him and it would be pretty cool if my elected official didn't try to repeal the affordable care act 12 times a month.

Maybe Wittman's minimum wage abbolishing rear end will get hit by a bus. He has the look of a man that might end that way. Sort of oblivious and smug.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

ufarn posted:

Should the GOP get a Senate majority, can they successfully impeach Fried Chicken?

They have a better shot at that than impeaching Obama, so sure why not.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

I got robocalled five times today to hear John Legend ask me to vote "Tuck" for California's State Superintendent of Public Instruction. Thanks, John!

I had 12 emails asking for donations between when I woke up at 11:30pm and when I checked my email again at 3am.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

hobbesmaster posted:

Town Branch until the election is called for McConnell.

Town Branch is terrible and so are the Lyons.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

My Imaginary GF posted:

I've unironically used this argument before. I 100% agree with you on that. Also, national passenger rail is a national security priority. So is properly funded public transit operating 6 times per hour at minimum per fixed right-of-way route

This is literally the way that the interstate highway system was sold by Eisenhower, for those reading this.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
"I think we'll see then, who the real party of no is." - Mitt Romney on FoxNews Sunday, referring to Obama possibly vetoing bills if the GOP takes the Senate.

That segment was followed by an ad for Koch Industries, no joke.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The 2014-2016 plan will be passing the crazier poo poo just to force the veto so that in 2016 the "do nothing government" identity will be firmly Obama's.

They've pretty much determined that they can pass the "Sacrifice Newborns to Baal" bill of 2015 and it won't matter. Right wingers only watch their own media which won't report on it and the rest of the media will try and figure out how the stalemate is both party's fault when Obama stops it so moderates will just vote for the "other guys".

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 2, 2014

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

My Imaginary GF posted:

You need high returns on imvestme t in GMO foods so that you get some investment in GMO food that primarily aids small-holding least developed nation farmers.

Plus, do you really want paranoid hippies to win on any issue? I can't think of a single issue where paranoid hippies have been correct.

I regard this GMO issue like the vaccine issue among paranoid hippies. Head them off now before a future GMO food is made that primarily benefits children which parents will refuse because :drugnerd: IT AINT NATURAL :drugnerd:

tl;dr seriousquestion, what would it take to get you to vote against GMO labeling?

Oh just let the hippies and crazys have the labels. Its Portland its going to happen eventually. I'm voting for it because who cares? If you're dumb enough to care gently caress you. We are facing food shortages in the next 50 years and we need GMO.

A label won't stop that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fragmented posted:

Oh just let the hippies and crazys have the labels. Its Portland its going to happen eventually. I'm voting for it because who cares? If you're dumb enough to care gently caress you. We are facing food shortages in the next 50 years and we need GMO.

A label won't stop that.

Funny, I'd think corporations lobbying for a bill to make dumb people buy their product is something that people here would oppose.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Dick Trauma posted:

"Tuck" comes from the charter school movement. Vote Torlakson. Unless you want to stick it to the teachers unions, that is.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
doot de doo looking up the ballot. Won't vote for freaking Martha Coakley; let me look at the independent contenders

Scott Lively posted:

AN APPEAL TO PROGRESSIVE VOTERS

why yes, that is me! What is your appeal, sir?

Scott Lively posted:

CAN CONSERVATIVES AND PROGRESSIVES SHARE COMMON GROUND?
YES, IF OUR PARADIGM IS NATURAL VS. ARTIFICIAL RATHER THAN RIGHT VS. LEFT.

Lively on the Environment: “Concepts such as eco-systems and bio-diversity rest on
the same natural law presuppositions as Biblical Christianity: there is an order to
nature that works best when protected from artificial substances and disruptions that
disrespect the design.”
hm

Scott Lively posted:

Natural Medicines: “Big Phama has enslaved an astonishing 70% of Americans to
prescription medications through its control of the medical industry. A lifestyle in
harmony with God’s creation avoids most ills and provides real cures for the rest.”
:stare:

Scott Lively posted:

Natural Communities: “Our violence-plagued, ultra-dense city environments
designed by United Nations Agenda 21 social engineers are artificial
communities…Let’s bring back the era of light-manufacturing-supported New
England towns in symbiosis with surrounding agrarian farm communities.”
:gonk:

http://www.livelyforgovernor.com/images/appealtoprogressivevoters.pdf

Bonus:

quote:

A Comment on the Ferguson, Missouri Events

Equal Justice Under Law is a bedrock principle of our society and must be color-blind. Ferguson is the latest incident where equal justice has surrendered to mob rule in deference to skin-color. This is reverse racism. Only due process of law can reveal the truth in this case, and both the White police officer and the Black teen deserve a clean slate on which to be judged -- untarnished by prejudice, prior similar incidents, or pressure by agitators. Those who exploit this incident as a pretext for violence or theft should be jailed and pay restitution to store owners.
Back to top of page

quote:

My Policy on Drugs
I was an alcoholic and drug addict for 16 years, from the age of 12 to 28, so this is very personal to me. I surrendered my life to Jesus Christ in 1986 and was miraculously healed and delivered, never to feel a desire for any drug or alcohol ever since.

The primary cause of drug addiction is family breakdown, but there are other sources of life trauma that create the same vulnerability.. Drugs are just a way to cope with the pain of life. The most important step to remedy the drug epidemic is to strengthen marriage and the natural family so that children grow up in stable homes with a Mom and Dad who love them.

For the present generation we need to provide more treatment options with a more holistic approach. I would require all persons receiving any form of government assistance to be free from any form of substance abuse. Those who cannot sustain recovery on their own would be required to enroll in supervised residential recovery to continue to receive government assistance.

I would create a bounty system on drug dealers to incentivize citizen intervention in the drug culture. The higher the level of the dealer, the higher the bounty. I would fund the bounty system with money taken from drug traffickers. I would double the bounty for any police officer or public official caught participating in drug trafficking.

I'm thinking I'm gonna go with Falchuk

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm more worried about Governor races at this point. Colorado flipping or Florida staying with Scott could be a huge issue in a close presidential election when they start loving with voting registration and access. Also Illinois could still flip and who knows what the hell that could mean.

I just moved out of a Republican governed state. Don't do this to me Illinois

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So Romney is already pushing the idea that the GOP will push to pass immigration reform. Of course as Fried Chicken already pointed out, that probably won't happen if the Tea Party is running the show on legislation.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

FlamingLiberal posted:

So Romney is already pushing the idea that the GOP will push to pass immigration reform. Of course as Fried Chicken already pointed out, that probably won't happen if the Tea Party is running the show on legislation.

The next two years will be entertaining, if nothing else.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

quote:

I would create a bounty system on drug dealers to incentivize citizen intervention in the drug culture. The higher the level of the dealer, the higher the bounty. I would fund the bounty system with money taken from drug traffickers. I would double the bounty for any police officer or public official caught participating in drug trafficking.

Except, I totally do want to vote for the guy who's proposing putting bounties on the heads of dirty cops, holy poo poo.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

FlamingLiberal posted:

They'll pass immigration reform. It will mostly consist of building more fences, work visas that don't allow a path to citizenship or voting rights, and maybe some stuff about fast tracking skilled (white or asian) immigrants or ending the focus on family reunification.

Obama will say he'll veto it, but it seems pretty clear he wont. The only reason he held strong on the shutdown was because Harry Reid was pushing him and giving him reassurances and his leverage is significantly diminished now. Obama is gonna cave over and over and over again.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Good Citizen posted:

They'll pass immigration reform. It will mostly consist of building more fences, work visas that don't allow a path to citizenship or voting rights, and maybe some stuff about fast tracking skilled (white or asian) immigrants or ending the focus on family reunification.

Obama will say he'll veto it, but it seems pretty clear he wont. The only reason he held strong on the shutdown was because Harry Reid was pushing him and giving him reassurances and his leverage is significantly diminished now. Obama is gonna cave over and over and over again.

So I might as well welcome our new far-right overlords, whether or not the GOP wins the presidency in 2016? :sigh:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Good Citizen posted:

lol no that's still too much for the Tea Party.

Also there's still the filibuster.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

computer parts posted:

lol no that's still too much for the Tea Party.
Suggesting any plan other then "Build a wall and deport 'em all" is sufficient to get you labeled a RINO.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Depends how tall the wall is and if there are tire fires.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Members of the tea party are pretty pissed off that we haven't made the southern border our own Korean DMZ. They tie it into anything they possibly can so look for it to keep popping up as amendments and riders to just about every bill.

For example infectious disease funding is clearly useless without securing our border to keep ISIS from cooperating with drug lords to infect Central American child immigrants with Ebola and Dengue or something and distribute them to all suburbs where they will use their Adidas branded combination soccer jersey and prayer rugs to spread the disease to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Impeach Fried chicken because of how depressing he is.

Defenestration posted:

doot de doo looking up the ballot. Won't vote for freaking Martha Coakley; let me look at the independent contenders

why yes, that is me! What is your appeal, sir?

hm

:stare:

:gonk:

http://www.livelyforgovernor.com/images/appealtoprogressivevoters.pdf

Bonus:

I'm thinking I'm gonna go with Falchuk
Oh god that sweet, sweet weapons-grade crazy, how I've missed you. Don't stop, I'm so close :fap:

Chantilly Say posted:

Except, I totally do want to vote for the guy who's proposing putting bounties on the heads of dirty cops, holy poo poo.
Who's proposing this cuz that sounds like a pretty :black101: idea.

• Locked thread