Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I know this sounds silly, but what does it look like around where you live? When people ask me about Kansas I tell them, "Think of a big flat place infested with chain restaurants, chain stores, strip malls, and families of people who want to do nothing more in life than have a nice house, go to their job, have meaningless conversations about meaningless things, and wait for death." I'd be interested in what the scenery is like around your particular neck of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Captain Log posted:

I know this sounds silly, but what does it look like around where you live? When people ask me about Kansas I tell them, "Think of a big flat place infested with chain restaurants, chain stores, strip malls, and families of people who want to do nothing more in life than have a nice house, go to their job, have meaningless conversations about meaningless things, and wait for death." I'd be interested in what the scenery is like around your particular neck of the world.

Tampico:
A city that once upon a time was growing economically,thanks to being closer to the border, nowadays turning slowly in another failed town. Decent beach, good seafood, people talk as they are angry at you but they aren't, men are usually polite towards a lady on the street,malls are crappy, not much culture, no museums, the best thing to do in a weekend is getting drunk. Very cold during winter.

Villahermosa:
HELL ON EARTH. And no, I'm not talking about violence. That place is so goddamn hot that you can't survive the summer without an A/C. Rains a lot, like a lot, so much there's always a flood somewhere. Everything is green, trees here and there. They have been trying to rescue their colonial era buildings,like to push a lot the culture. The people have a hot temper. Never make someone from Tabasco angry or you might get to meet death by machete. Also, men are rude and the cat calling in the streets is insane. It's very strange, but the natives over there don't like to move away from the state. So must people just hope to get married, have children...and die there.

Also, in almost all Mexico, you'll find entire families living in a single house. It's a tradition, but it has to do more that having your own home can be a bit, economically,difficult. So you have grandma,grandpa, their younger single daughters/sons, their oldest daughter with her husband, all the grandchildren, sometimes a cousin. We don't care if you are single,over 30 and still living with your parents. Usually the parents are too fond of their children and it hurts to see them leaving the home to "suffer outside". Believe it or not, that stereotype of Mexicans thinking a lot about the family, is true.

And a bonus, for the goon asking about the streets quality:

:v:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I ask in the least offensive way possible, but what do you think of this? I'm not American or Mexican so my knowledge of Mexico is pretty limited but I was pretty astonished when I saw this since it doesn't really align with what people assume Mexico is like over here!

Also I'm very interested in various native peoples in the Americas, you say that languages like Mayan and Nahuatl are associated with ignorance, poverty and shame by some people but are there also people who see it as a cultural marker, to be preserved and cherished? Also, how well integrated would indigenous people generally be within the rest of the country? I read about stuff like the Caste War in Yucatan and it makes me wonder if Nationalist movements among the Mayans and others still have a strong effect.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

khwarezm posted:

I ask in the least offensive way possible, but what do you think of this? I'm not American or Mexican so my knowledge of Mexico is pretty limited but I was pretty astonished when I saw this since it doesn't really align with what people assume Mexico is like over here!

Also I'm very interested in various native peoples in the Americas, you say that languages like Mayan and Nahuatl are associated with ignorance, poverty and shame by some people but are there also people who see it as a cultural marker, to be preserved and cherished? Also, how well integrated would indigenous people generally be within the rest of the country? I read about stuff like the Caste War in Yucatan and it makes me wonder if Nationalist movements among the Mayans and others still have a strong effect.

:v: It's not offensive. We are fat. It has a lot to do with how our society is changing, along with the whole high-on-calories crap we are getting from the USA and our addiction to Coca-Cola (it's insane, and it makes you cringe when you see mothers filling their toddlers' bottles with coke and giving them that). I mean, years ago it was really hard to find a McDonald's, now they are everywhere. Although, take my words with a grain of salt, I know there are studies out there about why are we turning so fat. I guess, we haven't reached the morbidly obese people on scooters bar,yet.

To answer your second question: poorly. I,sincerely, don't know much or any native that his even upper middle class. Being 100% native equals being poor. They work on the fields, they were pushed far away from the cities. I think we could say it's nearly as bad how Native Americans are treated, or I've heard are being treated, in the US. You will find them begging for money on the streets, that's when the bad happens, there's usually people who go to native towns and buy teens and children. I mean, literally buy. Rich families go and give a few pesos for that teen daughter so she can move to the big city and become a maid. They get abused and eventually run away, you just can imagine what happens to them. Children,little ones, are usually "sold" or "rented" to a close relative, and send to the cities. There, the kids are exploited and forced to sell candies and cigarettes on the streets.

There's racism and classicism in Mexico, and you will see white Mexicans looking down on anyone who is just too brown or doesn't speak Spanish.

Of course, the bright side, is that there's a majority of young people that are trying not to be such big assholes. Or so,I want to believe.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
If you moved someplace non-tropical do you think you would miss the warm climate more in the winter or the summer?

I would think winter, but a friend of mine said she hates the cold summers (under 30c) way more

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Arnold of Soissons posted:

If you moved someplace non-tropical do you think you would miss the warm climate more in the winter or the summer?

I would think winter, but a friend of mine said she hates the cold summers (under 30c) way more

I would love to move to a place where I'm not slowly roasting at 45°C on Summer or Christmas day. Many people,even in my country, think tropical weather equals all day long on the beach,drinking piñas coladas, when it's actually living in the city with the concrete getting hot during the whole day because there's not a single cloud.

I'm already in a sort of non-tropical place, where we can reach 1°C during January. It's funny,because I had a little discussion with a professor the last month, when I told her Tampico isn't a city with a 100% tropical weather. She was like "Yes,it is! We have a beach!" I decided not to be an annoying smart rear end and dropped the discussion hahaha.

In a few words,I don't miss the extreme warm.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Someone told me Northerners eat a lot of flour tortillas.

Is this true, and why are they so wrong, if so?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Groda posted:

Someone told me Northerners eat a lot of flour tortillas.

Is this true, and why are they so wrong, if so?

It is true. From what I know the closer to the border the more flour tortillas you'll see. Although, by now, you will find flour and corn tortillas everywhere. North,South,Center, there are several taquerias and restaurants all over the country that allow you to chose flour or corn. Of course, corn tortillas are cheaper, so they will always be more popular.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Desperado Bones posted:

Of course, corn tortillas are cheaper, so they will always be more popular.

In Canada, things are completely the opposite. It's easy and fairly cheap to get flour tortillas, but corn tortillas are impossible to find outside of specialty stores and generally cost more. Also, at least in Calgary where I live, all the "Mexican" food is 95% terrible and the other 5% is nearly impossible to find.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
They don't ever show Cheech and Chong movies in Mexico, do they?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

They don't ever show Cheech and Chong movies in Mexico, do they?

I remember watching Born in East L.A. when I was a little girl, and everyone liking it. :shrug: I guess we do. I mean, there's people of my age and older who recognize and know who is Cheech Marin.

Edit: My parents are cool people who allowed me to watch horror and nerdy movies. The only thing they would do was covering my eyes or fast forward the Betamax during sex scenes. So I probably have a very PG version memories of several movies hahaha.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 26, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh well Born in East LA I can see. Some of their other movies can get a little minstrel-y:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtFb_xem6k8

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I know you said that (American) football isn't popular but it is fairly popular in Mexico City. Of course, not even close to soccer, but if you go to any restaurant while a match is going on you will probably be able to watch it. Most of my friends are in fantasy drafts, some play flag football for fun and so on.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Chernabog posted:

I know you said that (American) football isn't popular but it is fairly popular in Mexico City. Of course, not even close to soccer, but if you go to any restaurant while a match is going on you will probably be able to watch it. Most of my friends are in fantasy drafts, some play flag football for fun and so on.

Pfftt...Chilangos. Just kidding ;) Nah,I haven't seen that among my friends over here, who are younger. I always see them wandering around with the soccer jerseys, and the bars usually advertise more the soccer matches than anything else. We do have a football team in my faculty, but it's not as popular as the guys who play futbol rápido (I really don't know how to translate that term to English)

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
Have you ever visited America? If so, how was it?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cercadelmar posted:

Have you ever visited America? If so, how was it?

The Continent or the country? :v:

I know what you mean, so, here's an answer.

Several times. I've been on Brownsville,McCallen and Isla del Padre (but during the years I was like 7-11 years old, so I don't remember much,I just remember a lot of Garfield and Batman stuff, my first time tasting a butterfinger and this awesome Simpson's 3D magazine)

Two months before 9/11 I had another chance because a cousin was having her quinceañera in Tijuana, so we thought it would be a great idea to visit California. How was it? There are crows. The moment I crossed the border there were crows everywhere, which really confused me. You rarely see them over here. Hollywood is creepy and scary at night. Too many Starbucks. The San Diego Comic Con was loving awesome, the streets are beautifully paved, they have like a million different water taps so I was confused every time I entered a restroom and suddenly felt like an uncivilized moron. Thank you gringos!

I still can't believe I had to see a Jack in the Box, a Burger King,a McDonalds and a Carl's Jr on each corner of a crossroad. That' was a huge WTF moment. The suburbs are depressing and scary, too silent at night. Also, I like sweets, so it was a bit annoying that everything was too sugary or too bitter. Sea World was depressing. Disneyland wasn't what I expected,I really didn't have fun, all those long lines for a 3 minute ride...there was nothing magical on it. Still,I'm surprised about how big and well done the park was. I think there wasn't that much fat people over there,I mean,I didn't see anything that resembles what we see in the AUG thread at PYF,so I guess America was still fit during that time.

Ah, and everyone speaks Spanish in California, that's what I learned. So I had very little communication problems.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
You've been to Tijuana and mentioned northern Mexicans are stereotyped as cowboys. Is there anything else you could say about Baja California Norte?

Do people feel any kind of relation to descendants of Mexicans in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas? I mean, specifically the people who have lived there continuously since before and after the Mexican-American War.

In Mexicali I remember the Chinatown being kinda big and we would go over for lunch. Later I learned there aren't really very many Chinese people throughout Mexico like there are in Mexicali and are in the US or at least in urban areas. Is that true? Chinese people speaking Spanish dressed as cowboys is something unique to that region.

What do you and other Mexicans think of Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Belize?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

GreenCard78 posted:

You've been to Tijuana and mentioned northern Mexicans are stereotyped as cowboys. Is there anything else you could say about Baja California Norte?

Do people feel any kind of relation to descendants of Mexicans in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas? I mean, specifically the people who have lived there continuously since before and after the Mexican-American War.

In Mexicali I remember the Chinatown being kinda big and we would go over for lunch. Later I learned there aren't really very many Chinese people throughout Mexico like there are in Mexicali and are in the US or at least in urban areas. Is that true? Chinese people speaking Spanish dressed as cowboys is something unique to that region.

What do you and other Mexicans think of Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Belize?

Baja California Norte is a big,big desert. And Tijuana is dusty. I didn't have much chance to enjoy the place or the beach, because I think we spent a majority of our time in the USA. Also I have to say it's that their accent is contagious. I was already speaking Northern before going back home.

I think not? I sort of recall that some people are not very fond of American-Mexicans. Perhaps it's that strong sense of patriotism, that many have,I guess. For me, I don't really care if you were born in Mexico or not.

There's a famous Barrio Chino in Mexico City, and recently they have become very common. Not US-like common, but you see more than before. From what my mom told me,Chinese were already around in the Northern states when she was little. She always tells me of this Chinese neighbors and how they would cook a lot of cabbages. :shrugs: I guess there will come a day when seeing Asian people will be something common.

We see them as very,very,VERY poor. As poorer than us. They are probably not, and we are all hosed at the same level. But there's a bit of intolerance towards South American immigrants. There's a reason many get murdered by gangs on the Southern states, and then kidnapped by narcos when they reach North Mexico.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Tijuana and Mexicali have poor, terrible places but San Pedro Sula in Honduras was a city of :stare: the whole time.

Desperado Bones posted:

There's a famous Barrio Chino in Mexico City, and recently they have become very common. Not US-like common, but you see more than before. From what my mom told me,Chinese were already around in the Northern states when she was little. She always tells me of this Chinese neighbors and how they would cook a lot of cabbages. :shrugs: I guess there will come a day when seeing Asian people will be something common.

I don't know how true it is but I was told that the vast majority of them in the north were Shanghaied trying to get to America in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

GreenCard78 posted:

Tijuana and Mexicali have poor, terrible places but San Pedro Sula in Honduras was a city of :stare: the whole time.

I don't know how true it is but I was told that the vast majority of them in the north were Shanghaied trying to get to America in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

There are also lots of Italian families in Veracruz, and middle eastern people here in Tampico (it's seems like not anymore,because they probably got mixed with Mexicans or moved away to other cities). Spanish Jews on Nuevo Léon, I might come from Spanish Jew descendents because one of my grandfather's last names point to that, but we don't really know. Koreans too, many of them left a lot of pregnant women here in my city :v: There's a lot of 20-something young adults who are half Korean. And the Mennonite,who are already leaving the North for the South and are slowly moving out to Russia.

Also, you'll find people with French last names in Chiapas and Tabasco. A little gift left from the French invasion.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Have you been watching the current VICE videos on the 43? I thought they were pretty informative to someone stuck in Kansas as to what's going on down there. It's hard not to be offensive but are those actual legit politicians and the president in those videos? It blows my loving mind.

https://news.vice.com/video/the-missing-43-mexicos-disappeared-students-part-1

https://news.vice.com/video/mexicos-disappeared-students-part-2

You actually have to put up with this poo poo? God drat, my hat is off to you. I'd be awfully edgy getting my mail in a place like this.

Also, how do you manage to stay in shape if you don't mind my asking? It's pretty difficult here in America but where you are located I'm not sure what your daily diet and ability to exercise looks like. Please know I'm asking this as respectfully as I can and I'm very appreciative of your open answers. This is very enlightening to be able to ask you such upfront things and get answers.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Have you been watching the current VICE videos on the 43? I thought they were pretty informative to someone stuck in Kansas as to what's going on down there. It's hard not to be offensive but are those actual legit politicians and the president in those videos? It blows my loving mind.

https://news.vice.com/video/the-missing-43-mexicos-disappeared-students-part-1

https://news.vice.com/video/mexicos-disappeared-students-part-2

You actually have to put up with this poo poo? God drat, my hat is off to you. I'd be awfully edgy getting my mail in a place like this.

Also, how do you manage to stay in shape if you don't mind my asking? It's pretty difficult here in America but where you are located I'm not sure what your daily diet and ability to exercise looks like. Please know I'm asking this as respectfully as I can and I'm very appreciative of your open answers. This is very enlightening to be able to ask you such upfront things and get answers.

Hahaha, yes, we have to put with that president and his annoying family.I think many of us are so jaded that we already expect them to do so awful poo poo. Here's a few things I recall presidents and poiticians doing:

1968 - During a protest in the Zocalo several students in Mexico city got ambushed my infiltrated military and soldiers and many went missing,others got killed right there on the spot, that's the reason the 43 has made a lot of noise all over the country. We can't believe they are doing the same poo poo all over again.

Two years ago,a governor at Tabasco stole...I mean,literally stole all the funds for the health sector. The public hospital couldn't afford to pay their doctors, some left, others stayed around just to help. Then they started to have no medicine or anything to take care of patients. I mean, there was a moment where they didn't even could afford to buy cotton. :psyduck:

Years ago, here over Tampico, during the elections. One of the contenders got ambushed on the road by a cartel and murdered. it was such a coincidence that right after this politician died, his brother came out "heroically" to take his place. Everyone already knows he has connections with the local cartels.

:negative: I'm currently not in shape. Here in Tampico, because of the whole cartels poo poo and the fact that I live alone, I'm a bit paranoid and don't enjoy being outside for a long time. I've become a shut down, which really upsets me. Also a reason why I want to leave this poo poo hole. About the diet? Having a cheap healthy diet is quite easy. Veggies and fruits are actually really cheap, so the only thing that stops you from having a good diet is laziness.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
Hey there thread, I'm a Chilango (ie from Mexico City) and may be able to provide additional or complimentary information. I also spent a few years as a kid in the US and UK. Things I'm best suited to talk about: Mexico in the 90's, cultural dislocation (diplomatic families have the most fun), Mexico City and its internal and external idiosyncrasies, macro-level corruption, the education and IT sector, general culture and food.

Also if you come through town let me know and I can take you to Los Panchos, the world's epicenter of carnitas glory.

Super late edit- Mexico is not cartel land :smugjones: It is a fantastic country filled with wonderful people but we've allowed ourselves to get hosed over by assholes, madmen and hypocrites. Also we're blessed and cursed by having an upstairs neighbor that has great qualities but also loooooooves drugs.

burnsep fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 28, 2014

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

burnsep posted:

Hey there thread, I'm a Chilango (ie from Mexico City) and may be able to provide additional or complimentary information. I also spent a few years as a kid in the US and UK. Things I'm best suited to talk about : Mexico in the 90's, cultural dislocation (diplomatic families have the most fun), Mexico City and its internal and external idiosyncrasies, macro-level corruption, the education and IT sector, general culture and food.

Also if you come through town let me know and I can take you to Los Panchos, the world's epicenter of carnitas glory.

Hey burnsep, are you in Mexico City currently? If so,how are things with the whole 43 protests? There wasn't much movement over here in Tampico, people tend to be very indifferent when it comes to protests about any subject.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

Hey burnsep, are you in Mexico City currently? If so,how are things with the whole 43 protests? There wasn't much movement over here in Tampico, people tend to be very indifferent when it comes to protests about any subject.

I'm here and nothing short of the zombie apocalypse will get me out of my town. This week has been relatively calm, but the last two weeks were filled with major traffic disruptions and a lot of peaceful protests all over. As you probably saw, last Thursday was the major march on the Zocalo, credible reports indicate around 100K people, with (probable) police infiltrators in the march instigating violence, prompting the Granadero riot squads to clear out the square, beat up protesters and detain 11 young people on (almost 100% sure) trumped up charges. Otherwise the most notable disruptions have been teachers union people taking over the toll booths on the roads out of the City and "liberating" them for long stretches, either allowing drivers to use the roads for free or charging a "voluntary contribution" for the cause. Assholes.

I'd say that given how brazen Los Pinos (Presidential HQ, analogous to the White House in the US) has been about this and how poorly they've managed the Televisa-Rivera-Queretaro railway scandal, we're in for some really dark times. Peña Nieto is out of his depth and his advisors and political infrastructure appear to be paralyzed by the gravity of the issues. My hope is that the public won't get distracted anytime soon, because today's proposed reforms are laughable and show complete lack of understanding of the societal anger and its root causes.

Also, and this is apropos of nothing, gently caress the Green Party.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Desperado Bones posted:

The Continent or the country? :v:

I know what you mean, so, here's an answer.

Several times. I've been on Brownsville,McCallen and Isla del Padre (but during the years I was like 7-11 years old, so I don't remember much,I just remember a lot of Garfield and Batman stuff, my first time tasting a butterfinger and this awesome Simpson's 3D magazine)

Two months before 9/11 I had another chance because a cousin was having her quinceañera in Tijuana, so we thought it would be a great idea to visit California. How was it? There are crows. The moment I crossed the border there were crows everywhere, which really confused me. You rarely see them over here. Hollywood is creepy and scary at night. Too many Starbucks. The San Diego Comic Con was loving awesome, the streets are beautifully paved, they have like a million different water taps so I was confused every time I entered a restroom and suddenly felt like an uncivilized moron. Thank you gringos!

I still can't believe I had to see a Jack in the Box, a Burger King,a McDonalds and a Carl's Jr on each corner of a crossroad. That' was a huge WTF moment. The suburbs are depressing and scary, too silent at night. Also, I like sweets, so it was a bit annoying that everything was too sugary or too bitter. Sea World was depressing. Disneyland wasn't what I expected,I really didn't have fun, all those long lines for a 3 minute ride...there was nothing magical on it. Still,I'm surprised about how big and well done the park was. I think there wasn't that much fat people over there,I mean,I didn't see anything that resembles what we see in the AUG thread at PYF,so I guess America was still fit during that time.

Obesity isn't really that common in well off urban areas in the US. I can't remember the last time I saw an hugely obese person where I live, and even fat people are a rarity. But yea, disneyland is garbage compared to world in Florida and we put way too much sugar in nearly everything- which was a huge loving shock to my eastern euro friends.

e: oh and the south, the south (east) is massively obese by comparison to the rest of the US.

tsa fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 28, 2014

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

tsa posted:

Obesity isn't really that common in well off urban areas in the US. I can't remember the last time I saw an hugely obese person where I live, and even fat people are a rarity. But yea, disneyland is garbage compared to world in Florida and we put way too much sugar in nearly everything- which was a huge loving shock to my eastern euro friends.

e: oh and the south, the south (east) is massively obese by comparison to the rest of the US.

Yeah, your coke tastes disgustingly more sweet than ours. I remember having lunch at a Denny's, and I'm grateful I didn't get diabetes right there on the spot.

About Disney, I guess we'll take him to world instead, once he is old enough :3:

burnsep posted:

I'm here and nothing short of the zombie apocalypse will get me out of my town. This week has been relatively calm, but the last two weeks were filled with major traffic disruptions and a lot of peaceful protests all over. As you probably saw, last Thursday was the major march on the Zocalo, credible reports indicate around 100K people, with (probable) police infiltrators in the march instigating violence, prompting the Granadero riot squads to clear out the square, beat up protesters and detain 11 young people on (almost 100% sure) trumped up charges.

I'd say that given how brazen Los Pinos (Presidential HQ, analogous to the White House in the US) has been about this and how poorly they've managed the Televisa-Rivera-Queretaro railway scandal, we're in for some really dark times. Peña Nieto is out of his depth and his advisors and political infrastructure appear to be paralyzed by the gravity of the issues. My hope is that the public won't get distracted anytime soon, because today's proposed reforms are laughable and show complete lack of understanding of the societal anger and its root causes.

Also, and this is apropos of nothing, gently caress the Green Party.

Yeah, we had before a few protests for peace,you know, people dressed in white, walking silently. But lately people have been a bit scared. Specially with this thing about the woman from Twitter that was killed by narcos. I didn't see any moment from my University,either. Specially because, welp, a few weeks ago a teacher nearly got kidnapped and instead they went and shoot his home to leave a "message" (He had surprised,by accident, some narcos and other teachers exchanging weapons in one of the uni's parking lot)

Oh, those reforms. Everyone at work were rolling their eyes and laughing at how stupid everything was. gently caress the Green Party,indeed. They are the ones destroying the little mangrove that's left on the zone.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

tsa posted:

I mean this as politely as possible, but are you nuts? I've lived in Nashville, Lexington, and outside Kansas city and been able stay in nearly all major American cities - point being this place is fat as hell. I think airports, grocery stores, and public events are better indicators than well off areas. I could lose some gut depending on the season and can't be too high and mighty, but you never have to look too far for some shockingly fat people. While the, "American's are stupid and fat bluuuh" thing is easy to say, our cities are incredibly space out and we have an insane commuter lifestyle and take no holiday time. It's not surprising that people who drive a hour both ways to work, work fifty plus hour weeks, and have to drive thirty or more minutes just to reach possibly lovely grocery options are fat.

I'd be curious to see Mexico's fat quotient and the fact that they have surpassed America in obesity is really unreal to me. But in America the latinos far outweigh any other minority or majority bracket in their obesity, so there must be something to it. I always feel sad because whether this is my stereotype laden eyes or not it always stands out to be how fat latino babies and toddlers...with caucasians not being far behind.

On another subject, is Mexico city relatively safe compared to the rest of the country? I don't want to spam VICE videos but I'm really curious what you residents would think of them. I'm watching a three part video right now about narco music and enthralled by the weirdness.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
I will watch them when I get off work, and btw I'm a resident of North Mexico (Monterrey to be more specific) and will also happily answer any questions anyone has about the country, or my particular slice of it anyway.

And to reiterate: gently caress the green party, not only did they use the recent scandal about the contaminated river to give themselves all the credit and to bolster their image, but also now I have to watch 20 loving minutes of political ads about them and their greatness whenever I go to Cinepolis

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

papasyhotcakes posted:

And to reiterate: gently caress the green party, not only did they use the recent scandal about the contaminated river to give themselves all the credit and to bolster their image, but also now I have to watch 20 loving minutes of political ads about them and their greatness whenever I go to Cinepolis

Ffffffffffuck. I hate when they do that at Cinepolis. They are the PRI for the young and naive hippie. Also, they are the ones behind the construction of the so called "ecological park" over here, in a part of the town which used to be completely covered in mangrove, which is endangered, which is loving protected by federal law!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Captain Log posted:

I'd be curious to see Mexico's fat quotient and the fact that they have surpassed America in obesity is really unreal to me. But in America the latinos far outweigh any other minority or majority bracket in their obesity, so there must be something to it. I always feel sad because whether this is my stereotype laden eyes or not it always stands out to be how fat latino babies and toddlers...with caucasians not being far behind.

Have you ever seen what Mexicans eat and how often they get together and make mountains of delicious, terribly unhealthy food?

... then they make some xoconostle tea and call it good.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

The-Mole posted:

Have you ever seen what Mexicans eat and how often they get together and make mountains of delicious, terribly unhealthy food?

:v: I would love a gringo to stay one full day at my grandma's house. Then they would know over there you have breakfast, then a late breakfast,then lunch,later several snacks during the afternoon and evening, and finally dinner like a 9 or 10 pm. That's a reason I rarely go to her place, she always insists I should eat even if I already ate properly.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Please introduce me to your grandmother.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Log posted:

I mean this as politely as possible, but are you nuts? I've lived in Nashville, Lexington, and outside Kansas city

You've been living in fatland.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

I could lose some gut depending on the season and can't be too high and mighty, but you never have to look too far for some shockingly fat people.

If you went to downtown Chicago you'd probably be the fattest person around most of the time. But yes, outside of a handful of the largest cities it's wall to wall fatties even in urban areas.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

I've lived in Tucson, Arizona my whole life (22) and I see a very large amount of extremely nice cars, BMW, Escalades, Hummers etc with Mexico license plates (mostly sonora/chihuahua/sinola)

What's the over/under on these people being involved in cartels?

Also I went to see my grandmother in Nogalas, AZ (lives literally a mile and a half from the border) and saw a good amount of expensive cars there and at the border patrol station on the the Nogalas highway

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

stringball posted:

I've lived in Tucson, Arizona my whole life (22) and I see a very large amount of extremely nice cars, BMW, Escalades, Hummers etc with Mexico license plates (mostly sonora/chihuahua/sinola)

What's the over/under on these people being involved in cartels?

Also I went to see my grandmother in Nogalas, AZ (lives literally a mile and a half from the border) and saw a good amount of expensive cars there and at the border patrol station on the the Nogalas highway

You have to consider several things:

- It could be indeed narcos.

- Business men that left Mexico and moved their families to the US.

- Sometimes people that aren't that rich like to buy expensive everything. It's really common, and it's part of a consumerist culture. "I owe the electrical bill and can't pay the rent, but I have the best car in my neighborhood and this huge flat HD screen."

Only people with enough money can travel legally to the US. I really doubt Pedro the illegal immigrant that spends his day picking up oranges can buy a Hummer.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Desperado Bones posted:

Only people with enough money can travel legally to the US. I really doubt Pedro the illegal immigrant that spends his day picking up oranges can buy a Hummer.

Your thread rules, thanks for posting and continuing to post. This bit made me think of a question, do certain Mexican names have... Stigma? Attached to them? Like stereotypically in the u.s. we use the name "Cletus" or "Jim Bob" to refer to a bumpkin or hayseed type.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

whitey delenda est posted:

Your thread rules, thanks for posting and continuing to post. This bit made me think of a question, do certain Mexican names have... Stigma? Attached to them? Like stereotypically in the u.s. we use the name "Cletus" or "Jim Bob" to refer to a bumpkin or hayseed type.

Hehe curiously I was thinking on the way home today which would be the equivalent to Johnny Six-pack in a Mexican name, and I guess the closest would be Jose or Juan, they are by far the most common names. Brayan (Its pronounced the same as Brian) is associated with someone born in a low social stratta, as people tend to want English sounding names for their children, but have no idea how to write them. I have seen too Brayn, Braian, and Bryan.I worked for a little while in a public hospital with a focus on Obstetrics and Pediatrics, the names people come up with for their children are very amusing, and include whoever is the most popular professional soccer player at the time of the birth, the most popular pop singer and some I swear were made up in that very moment.

Desperado Bones posted:

Ffffffffffuck. I hate when they do that at Cinepolis. They are the PRI for the young and naive hippie. Also, they are the ones behind the construction of the so called "ecological park" over here, in a part of the town which used to be completely covered in mangrove, which is endangered, which is loving protected by federal law!

Remember kids, if you want to be able to receive massive cash bribes in a shady casino, be filmed while doing it and exposed nationally and still remain a relevant part of the political process, just join the Green Party!

papasyhotcakes fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

papasyhotcakes posted:

Hehe curiously I was thinking on the way home today which would be the equivalent to Johnny Six-pack in a Mexican name, and I guess the closest would be Jose or Juan, they are by far the most common names. Brayan (Its pronounced the same as Brian) is associated with someone born in a low social stratta, as people tend to want English sounding names for their children, but have no idea how to write them. I have seen too Brayn, Braian, and Bryan.I worked for a little while in a public hospital with a focus on Obstetrics and Pediatrics, the names people come up with for their children are very amusing, and include whoever is the most popular professional soccer player at the time of the birth, the most popular pop singer and some I swear were made up in that very moment.

My sisters have told me that there should be a lot of 40's and mid 30's women with the name Oyuki. :v: For the American goons, there used to be his soap opera called Oyuki's sin, with Mexican actors pretending to be Japanese. I remember several Juan Pablos in my childhood, a few Luis Miguels as well.

Recently there are kids with anime names, mostly from Saint Seiya. I don't know if the same has happened with Naruto or whatever is popular nowadays.

Bad written names? I knew a "Yim"(Their parents named him "Jim"...or tried)

• Locked thread