Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Klaus88 posted:

It's gonna be a great month. :v:

:dogbutton:

Do they even bother with ethics in whatever the hell courses are required for a degree in marketing?

Ethics?!? In my ad firm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
One of the great problems of our legal system is the insistence on stretching analogies way too far, even when patently ridiculous and without regard for bad policy outcomes. It's how we get nonsense like our wiretapping laws.

Drones surveilling your neighbors anonymously is bad, and we ought to create a practical recourse, either through public policy or allowing people to act on their own (rf jammers, lasers, bird shot since it won't likely hurt anyone falling down, whatever).

Hills and cranes and hot air balloons are related questions but it's dumb to reduce all situations to existing precedents even when it's suboptimal. That's a fine line of argument for what the law is, not what it should be.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Klaus88 posted:

Do they even bother with ethics in whatever the hell courses are required for a degree in marketing?

It's more of a reverse ethics course, honestly: How far can we stretch the definition of "legal" without facing jail time or embarrassment? What's the average cost of an out of course settlement vs. a recall? How can we make the people saying we're the bad guys look like lunatics and unpatriotic communists?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"It's the legal department's problem anyways. We're just trying to get the customer interested in our products." :v:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Klaus88 posted:

“Truthfully, I’ll see what happens, but I’m not worried because we as a country are progressing at such a great rate with technology and innovation and why should the government…be the ones to stop us from doing this,” [GauravJit Singh, CEO of DroneCast] said.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Shortest Path posted:

The Olympics has literally never generated revenue for the host city, and quite often has put them into significant amounts of debt and/or displaced a lot of businesses and people. They're a loving disaster unless you're competing or watching them on television.

I live close enough to Boston that I would legitimately consider moving across the country if the Olympics had actually been accepted there because that would mean a straight decade of ludicrous traffic caused by tons of construction. Not in my loving backyard, the Big Dig was bad enough and I-93 construction ain't much better.

I feel bad for people training for the next Olympics because the location is basically a giant bio hazard.

Antti posted:

Or in on the racket, be it via the organizing committee, the host city political class or the construction business. As a bonus you get to demolish some projects/slums and pave them over or turn them into luxury condos.

I mean if it was a financial disaster for everyone no one would hold them. FIFA's only blunder was being too blatant about the World Cup. Qatar? Really? Russia and China you can clearly get away with.

Everyone knew about the corruption with Russia and China but nobody's going to boycott the games over it, sadly.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Some idiot nearly crashed their drone into a jet at JFK yesterday so I hope someone figures out something to do with them.

Felony charges for the drone operator is a good start.

Defenestration posted:

I super doubt that it will be any different than last time. See: Rio's waterways a year out being described as "raw sewage." They'll sweep it all under the bed for the IOC inspectors. As long as their TV show goes off well, the IOC couldn't care less about civic goals and whether they're met.

Rio's water being raw sewage can't be swept under the rug however the IOC is just as open to bribes as FIFA so it won't matter. Rio will be a giant toilet and people will have to compete in it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
The piece of poo poo Texas AG is being indicted Monday.

quote:

A grand jury has indicted Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton on multiple felony charges, according to several sources who are familiar with the complaints.

The charges will be unsealed in McKinney on Monday about noon, and a Tarrant County judge has already been appointed to preside over the case, sources told News 8.

After the indictments are unsealed, Paxton can surrender to be photographed, fingerprinted and booked at any of the state's 254 county jails.

It's unclear exactly what Paxton will be indicted for, although a grand jury here has heard evidence that Paxton, 52, violated securities laws.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/texas-news/2015/08/01/attorney-general-ken-paxton-to-be-indicted-monday/30989247/

This goes here, right?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Marketers aren't human.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Warcabbit posted:

Okay, let's simplify. I have a camera on a crane boom, and I move it over to look inside your house. I have nightvision and thermal vision, so curtains will not help.
What redresses do you have? It's not touching your property.
Since I am an rear end in a top hat, I am refusing to move it when asked politely.
In fact, I'm out of state and managing it remotely, and the land it is on is owned by a shell corporation so you don't know who to go to to ask politely.

Looking inside your house is different, that's invasion of privacy and covered by laws already.

berzerker posted:

One of the great problems of our legal system is the insistence on stretching analogies way too far, even when patently ridiculous and without regard for bad policy outcomes. It's how we get nonsense like our wiretapping laws.

Drones surveilling your neighbors anonymously is bad, and we ought to create a practical recourse, either through public policy or allowing people to act on their own (rf jammers, lasers, bird shot since it won't likely hurt anyone falling down, whatever).

Hills and cranes and hot air balloons are related questions but it's dumb to reduce all situations to existing precedents even when it's suboptimal. That's a fine line of argument for what the law is, not what it should be.

Nobody is arguing that it's just fine to anonymously surveil your neighbors, but there are a lot of ways to do it that are completely legal. And no, knocking stuff out of the sky and letting it fall uncontrolled to the ground is never going to be a viable solution.

The new breed of "oh god it's so unfair to regulate us" silicon valley startups are really loving annoying.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Evil Fluffy posted:

Everyone knew about the corruption with Russia and China but nobody's going to boycott the games over it, sadly.

Yeah, it's more of a case of everyone already knowing they're corrupt but they're too big to effectively boycott. Qatar doesn't have that advantage and that's why people have been able to raise hell over it. There's also some plausible deniability in that Russia and China are major powers that can certainly hold an Olympics and it's not outrageous for them to, but Qatar holding a World Cup is a joke.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Well, it's not like advertisers pay much attention to the existing laws regarding advertising anyways, so drones buzzing in people's faces is the next logical step.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Absolutely disgusting.

And yet I don't blame them for taking this view. Software developers got a lot of leeway perverting previous concepts of law. Now it's time for hi-tech gadgets to finish the job.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Looks like Biden might actually be running...
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/u...WT.nav=top-news

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

I feel bad for people training for the next Olympics because the location is basically a giant bio hazard.

Rio's water being raw sewage can't be swept under the rug however the IOC is just as open to bribes as FIFA so it won't matter. Rio will be a giant toilet and people will have to compete in it.
Things like hotel rooms with no doorknobs no one gives a poo poo about but I do think they're going to have to dump a lot of money into making the water not a biohazard because the optics on that are really insane.

This is how modern Olympics blow out their budgets - promise the IOC the world to win the bid, then the naked cash grab puts everything behind schedule and wouldn't you know, they have to hire everyone and their brother at double the rate because the work needs to get done ASAP.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Obdicut posted:

Yes, the person should be expected to tolerate it in the meantime, since the alternative is shooting it down, which is reckless and dangerous and destroys the property. The reason why I brought up the people not on the property is to show that people already have legal ways of taking pictures onto private property and we don't consider that a big deal. You can't go up to someone shooting onto your property and ask them to knock it off--or, you can, but they can say "gently caress off".

A fence is not going to stop someone who really wants to take a picture onto your yard from doing it--a camera on a pole would work.

I really don't get the libertarian urge of "Well if no law exists to cope with this I must immediately take the law into my own hands!" it's a drone taking pictures, it's not doing strafing runs or dropping anthrax.

No. I mean, isn't this obvious? What way could you think of?

idk, it's probably tortious to take actions that a reasonable person wouldn't do to take pictures of someone else's house as an invasion of privacy

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

The guy released the flight data log for the drone. It was at 250 feet altitude the whole time, neighbor is likely not only a lying sack of poo poo, but opened fire at a legally flying craft at legal altitude.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ontent=20150801

Wait a second. He shot down a drone operating at 250 feet with birdshot? Bull. poo poo. Birdshot gets you about 150 feet maximum on a good day great conditions, and with enough force to destroy a drone? Forget about it. So either he actually used his .22 or the more obvious answer: the drone operator faked his flight records. Fortunately this is Kentucky where a judge will know just what birdshot can and cannot do.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Obdicut posted:

if you call the cops and tell them that someone is taking pictures of your property from a hill, they will say "That's legal". If you call them and tell them someone is trespassing on your property, you will probably not get a timely response. And that all depends on you noticing it, which is unlikely anyway. If someone wanted to covertly take pictures of your backyard, the technology has existed for decades to make that trivial.

It depends on what they are taking photos of and how they are taking them. Just landscape shots or generally happening to include someone else's property in the background aren't going to cause a problem but if you are at a spot where you have a reasonable expectation of privacy and they are using a telephoto lens it could be actionable as an unreasonable intrusion on seclusion. This definitely applies to drones but it doesn't need to be photography - binoculars are good enough.

Klaus88 posted:

Yeah they do. If you pass you get kicked out of the program.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Slightly on topic: Cecil the lion's brother was shot by a poacher today.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

I'll absolve all the poachers of their crimes if they can poach Robert Mugabe's wrinkled worthless rear end. I'll even let them keep the head.

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl
What about a drone registry? It seems part off the problem is the anonymity that makes it hard for legal recourse.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Obdicut posted:

Looking inside your house is different, that's invasion of privacy and covered by laws already.

Unless it's a camera on a pole, and then it's okay and you are a libertarian if you have a problem with it.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Shifty Pony posted:

It depends on what they are taking photos of and how they are taking them. Just landscape shots or generally happening to include someone else's property in the background aren't going to cause a problem but if you are at a spot where you have a reasonable expectation of privacy and they are using a telephoto lens it could be actionable as an unreasonable intrusion on seclusion. This definitely applies to drones but it doesn't need to be photography - binoculars are good enough.

Most backyards aren't going to be a reasonable expectation of privacy, though, as long as you're standing in a public place. Only the California anti-paparazzi law would apply, and then only to, like you said, a zoom lens. I think that's a pretty good model law, though again for drones I'd rather just have a law saying you can't fly them over private property since I don't see any legitimate reason to do that.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Unless it's a camera on a pole, and then it's okay and you are a libertarian if you have a problem with it.

No, it's always a problem to take pictures through an open window. Fairly sure this obtains in all states.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
It is somewhat hilarious to me that the American reaction to a very real problem is, once again, "shoot it until it dies".

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

I can totally see this argument. Who is the government to tell private drone operators what they can and can't do? They have drones too. Who's drones have caused more damage to civilian areas historically? :smug:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Obdicut posted:

Isn't that kind of a grey area of "reasonable expectation of privacy"? There was a whole deal in NY a few years ago where an artist took pictures of people in their houses through their giant windows with a zoom lens and it basically came down to the fact that even though you think you might feel isolated and private in your house you have big rear end windows and you shouldn't have a reasonable expectation of privacy even though you feel that you do, close your blind if you want to be private.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

botany posted:

It is somewhat hilarious to me that the American reaction to a very real problem is, once again, "shoot it until it dies".

If the drone had had a gun, this never would have happened.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

CommieGIR posted:

Did he use a drone?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Three Olives posted:

Isn't that kind of a grey area of "reasonable expectation of privacy"? There was a whole deal in NY a few years ago where an artist took pictures of people in their houses through their giant windows with a zoom lens and it basically came down to the fact that even though you think you might feel isolated and private in your house you have big rear end windows and you shouldn't have a reasonable expectation of privacy even though you feel that you do, close your blind if you want to be private.

I'm not sure, I know that at least in some states it's very much not allowed. Where the line is is probably state-by-state. But setting something up to intentionally use a telescopic lens and night vision to take a picture of someone's bathroom through a little window I think would be pretty obvious violation.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Air rights are already a thing, and have been for most of the last century.

A property owner does, in fact, own the space above their property, and can do anything with it that they wish. If you want to build a 3000-foot tower in your backyard, you can do it, because you own the air, and aircraft have to go around or above it.

The FAA has established right of passage for aircraft above private property, the rules for which are very specific:

"FAR Part 91 Sec. 91.119 posted:

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and
(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.

So if a drone is an aircraft (and not a helicopter), and it was operating at 250 feet over this guy's house, it was already operating in violation of FAA airspace restrictions.

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 1, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

fatman1683 posted:

Air rights are already a thing, and have been for most of the last century.

A property owner does, in fact, own the space above their property, and can do anything with it that they wish. If you want to build a 3000-foot tower in your backyard, you can do it, because you own the air, and aircraft have to go around or above it.

The FAA has established right of passage for aircraft above private property, the rules for which are very specific:

So if a drone is an aircraft (and not a helicopter), and it was operating at 250 feet over this guy's house, it was already operating in violation of FAA airspace restrictions.

They have slightly sifferent rules that cover model aircraft, which drones fall under.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I can't wait for drones to somehow be covered by the second amendment. Ya'll are weird.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

El Disco posted:

If the drone had had a gun, this never would have happened.

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a drone is a good guy with a gun.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I can see a huge outrage the first time someone designs a drone that's 3D printable with a gun built into it that fires a few rounds. It's not like a huge implausible situation there already are gun drones like not like "military" but actual drones that carry guns and shoot them.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/21/us/gun-drone-connecticut/

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

FCKGW posted:

USPol thread off to a great start

With Congress on vacation, we can't make fun of republicans and this is what happens

Too bad the U.S. Actually cares about the Olympics and sucking up to the IOC and there won't be a FIFA-esque investigation :(

Good old insider trading wins once again

CommieGIR posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w1QoNOuAqPI

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I can see a huge outrage the first time someone designs a drone that's 3D printable with a gun built into it that fires a few rounds.

Someone attached an actual pistol, fired off a few rounds on video, and got in trouble, but nothing further is known (if he was even booked). At least he wasn't doing it in his backyard.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Nonsense posted:

Someone attached an actual pistol, fired off a few rounds on video, and got in trouble, but nothing further is known (if he was even booked). At least he wasn't doing it in his backyard.

Yeah it was the most basic thing as well. So yeah, once someone actually comes out with a design where you 3D print part of the drone, then you "self install" the other parts you'll most certainly see it occur.

Also, I give it 2 years tops before someone uses a drone for murdering someone, like a civilian drone used to murder someone.

edit:

Oh it was a teenager that designed the drone and built it.

Double Edit:

Someone explain the big deal with drones btw, because to me it's just remote controlled fancy copter and we've had those for years.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 1, 2015

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

They have slightly sifferent rules that cover model aircraft, which drones fall under.

Actually, they don't have any rules at all, as such:

"SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT posted:

(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law
relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into
Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this
subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration
may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model
aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational
use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community based
set of safety guidelines and within the programming
of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds
unless otherwise certified through a design, construction,
inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered
by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not
interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator
of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport
air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located
at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft
operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of
an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating
procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic
control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the
airport)).

Which is kind of the problem. Drone capabilities have advanced far beyond the original scope of the Special Rule, which means it's anyone's guess at this point exactly how the FAA is going to choose to regulate them. I think it's pretty clear that the ability to operate a drone from a long distance, out of line of sight, presents unique problems for the original idea of a model airplane.

edit: why the gently caress does it keep adding a double quote to the end of the URL :argh:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Hollismason posted:

Yeah it was the most basic thing as well. So yeah, once someone actually comes out with a design where you 3D print part of the drone, then you "self install" the other parts you'll most certainly see it occur.

Also, I give it 2 years tops before someone uses a drone for murdering someone, like a civilian drone used to murder someone.

Given how long the bitcoiners and associated libertarian weirdos have been talking about it, I'm surprised one of those idiots hasn't tried it already.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Given how long the bitcoiners and associated libertarian weirdos have been talking about it, I'm surprised one of those idiots hasn't tried it already.

There's gonna be a massive outbreak of :qq: when that happens after the inevitable legislative response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Klaus88 posted:

There's gonna be a massive outbreak of :qq: when that happens after the inevitable legislative response.

I'm glad of it. I'm tired of people thinking they can invent laws from thin air, and "common sense" because they're engineers.

• Locked thread