Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Here's what I don't understand (and admittedly, I'm probably just a simpleton):

Why wouldn't Wolfe, upon hearing that one of his students is going on a hunger strike, make immediate(!!!) plans to locate that student & attempt to at least talk to him about his issues/demands? I mean, what in the ever-living gently caress does he think just addressing it through a goddamn memo is gonna' do?

He's a former IBM executive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Why wouldn't Wolfe, upon hearing that one of his students is going on a hunger strike, make immediate(!!!) plans to locate that student & attempt to at least talk to him about his issues/demands? I mean, what in the ever-living gently caress does he think just addressing it through a goddamn memo is gonna' do? Does he not think that just maybe he & this student can find some kind of common ground, if only temporarily, to cease the hunger strike? It just makes no sense to me at all how Wolfe has acted since this whole thing began.

What other people have said. Also JB isn't some scrub protestor. This is what JB does. Shortly after all this started Wolfe sent him a letter so he could say he was trying. JB's response to Wolfe and the media as essentially "I sent it back and told him if he wanted to contact me he could reach me through Concerned Student 1950's email." Every chance JB has gotten he has been sure to put up a united front. Anyway, my point is JB hasn't made it easy on Wolfe to wiggle out of having to publicly address issues.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

To give some background on Jonathan Butler, he was one of the organizing voices behind Mizzou for Mike Brown. He is one of the founders of the Forum for Graduate Rights. He led the anti-racist rallies after the MSA president was called a friend of the family. In that rally he led us into the administration building with a mega - phone yelling "racism lives here." He's got experience organizing and leading protests. He's been doing it loudly, constantly, and skilfully for awhile now. So while Wolfe is an ignorant dickhead, it is important to remember he's playing chess against a guy that kind of knows what he's doing.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
University of Iowa has hired a president with the same "qualifications" as Wolfe so that will be very interesting to follow.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

xbilkis posted:

One of the dudes behind the cotton ball incident was an RA in my dorm my freshman year. He had a tattoo of some Gaelic word on his arm, which he assured us wasn't "the language of the gays."

If it's not Gaelic then what is the language of the gays

e: wait I just got that "Gaylic".

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Parmesan Basil posted:

University of Iowa has hired a president with the same "qualifications" as Wolfe so that will be very interesting to follow.

I'll never understand the deification of the executive class. Like, okay we worship capitalism in this country for some goddamned reason, but running Dominoes or whatever doesn't automatically qualify you for any job in any industry.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Just to be clear, I'm not the only person who thinks it's weird to have a hunger strike for a situation where you can transfer and keep your credit hours, right?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

LeeMajors posted:

I'll never understand the deification of the executive class. Like, okay we worship capitalism in this country for some goddamned reason, but running Dominoes or whatever doesn't automatically qualify you for any job in any industry.
Sorry but I think you'll find that if you just run this inefficient thing more like (a business/a household) it'll work out a lot better!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

Just to be clear, I'm not the only person who thinks it's weird to have a hunger strike for a situation where you can transfer and keep your credit hours, right?

Some people stand up for injustices they perceive instead of running away and hoping someone else deals with it.

And generally you can't graduate from a school if x credit hours don't come from there.

And then there's scholarships.

It's not quite that black and white.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Eifert Posting posted:

A. It's not exactly likely he can transfer and keep credit hours; grad school is quite a bit different from undergrad.
B. He's probably paid by Mizzou and needs a salary.
C. It could very well be that his research is best done with faculty at Mizzou.
D. It sounds like Mizzou has a lot of issues and he's trying to fix them, and this way, he's decided, is the best way. That's pretty noble.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

If it's not Gaelic then what is the language of the gays

e: wait I just got that "Gaylic".

it took me a second too :shobon::respek::shobon:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Parmesan Basil posted:

It's going to be sad seeing the state's flagship go down in flames but at least there's still Grinnell?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Why wouldn't Wolfe, upon hearing that one of his students is going on a hunger strike, make immediate(!!!) plans to locate that student & attempt to at least talk to him about his issues/demands? I mean, what in the ever-living gently caress does he think just addressing it through a goddamn memo is gonna' do? Does he not think that just maybe he & this student can find some kind of common ground, if only temporarily, to cease the hunger strike? It just makes no sense to me at all how Wolfe has acted since this whole thing began.

"One less cottonball" is probably all he thinks about it

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Tyrannosaurus posted:

I believe he had no experience in education, repeatedly lied on his resume, was brought in to run the school as a business, and is generally just a lovely person. I don't know.

Second one in a row! Before him, it was the guy notable for almost killing Sprint in the Nextel merger.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Lotka Volterra posted:

It's going to be sad seeing the state's flagship go down in flames but at least there's still Grinnell?

Hey, the ISU administration is doing things right! http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/college_guide/blog/why_iowa_state_might_be_the_be.php

Mizzou, I was just saying how I wished you were still in the Big 12, but you're going full SEC here.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Eifert Posting posted:

I know, right. What the hell is wrong with this guy, trying to inact some positive change at his university instead of yelling "YOLO, peace out!"

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Bird in a Blender posted:

Hey, the ISU administration is doing things right! http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/college_guide/blog/why_iowa_state_might_be_the_be.php

Mizzou, I was just saying how I wished you were still in the Big 12, but you're going full SEC here.

2 division titles in 3 years? I dunno' guys...they still don't seem like a "good fit" for the SEC.

Systemic racism largely ignored? Mizzou football would probably be atop the Big 12 standings this year; that's how good they are.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Michael Sam is on the quad today at the protests.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Feranon posted:

Yeah and I think the football team's boycott would be more effective on a year they weren't a loving joke. :shrug: Gotta do what you gotta do I guess

Joke or no Joke, the football team is a money maker, and they're about to not make a whole lot of money.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

alpha_destroy posted:

Michael Sam is on the quad today at the protests.

Sam is p. cool

Any faculty out there too? I just read some of them were gonna' do a 2-day walkout today & tomorrow and head to the quad to talk to students.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Sam is p. cool

Any faculty out there too? I just read some of them were gonna' do a 2-day walkout today & tomorrow and head to the quad to talk to students.

Ya, a ton, they're getting ready to speak.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

CNN is covering it!

They're calling it racial unrest and picking out video of scary black people.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Luigi Thirty posted:

CNN is covering it!

They're calling it racial unrest and picking out video of scary black people.

:wow:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
He resigned

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Sweet, now dude can hit the Taco Bell and get him one of those new Boss Wraps or w/e.

gently caress, I wish I could still eat like I was in college.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

He hasn't eaten for a week, I'd probably slowly reintroduce gut busting foods like that.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I was making signs, so I missed the moment. But today is a good day.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

:woop:

Now please get a real president this time Mizzou. None of these idiot corporate scrubs.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

oh he's reading scripture

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

watching rich old white men cry is so cathartic, but then they start reading scripture and I'm just reminded of all the time I spent in backwoods churches and it makes me sad, but also angry because i can't enjoy their tears as much.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

No Butt Stuff posted:

He hasn't eaten for a week, I'd probably slowly reintroduce gut busting foods like that.

Yeah, long periods of starvation gently caress you up something fierce. Dude is going to eat nothing but like, thin soup for the next few days.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

He's a former IBM executive.

This whole situation suddenly makes perfect sense.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Can we get a necromancer in here to revive Floyd. Need a good prez.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah there has been a bad trend of new university presidents coming from business or political backgrounds over education. Colleges are businesses first and foremost now, make no mistake.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Parmesan Basil posted:

no no, our former IBM executive also ran Boston Market AND was in charge of marketing Tombstone Pizza!

We saw the success Dave Brandon had with Michigan athletics and decided to take a guy in charge of an even worse brand of pizza and let him run the whole dang school.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah there has been a bad trend of new university presidents coming from business or political backgrounds over education. Colleges are businesses first and foremost now, make no mistake.

Like known shithead and no poo poo 6000 year earth creationist president of FSU John Thrasher.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I got super excited when they announced the players strike because it meant the game this Saturday might get canceled so I can watch the Ronda Rousey fight at the Columbia Buffalo Wild Wings in peace, but of course white people actually care about football instead of a black man so upset he's literally starving himself to death so of course Wolfe instantly resigns.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Like known shithead and no poo poo 6000 year earth creationist president of FSU John Thrasher.

How do you hold down a job in higher ed believing in young earth creationism?

I mean like, how do you ascend to University President... believing that the earth is only 6k years old?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Wolfe sounds like a little bitch. Maybe if you took poo poo seriously instead of doing nothing, you could have kept your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

How do you hold down a job in higher ed believing in young earth creationism?

I mean like, how do you ascend to University President... believing that the earth is only 6k years old?

you avoid the sciences and cut their funding.

understanding our current predicament a bit more now, eh?

• Locked thread