Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

ALFbrot posted:

Hey guys, I wrote a TWINE game but blastron farted on it because it didn't tickle his adrenal glands :(

If you've never read any fiction that's left your heart pounding then you need to read some better books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Princey posted:

Thanks for the clarification; terrible tie-ins sounds a lot more fun now.

Yeah, it does. I voted for games for grandma because of the copyright portion of the rules section, but now it sounds like terrible tie-ins would have a much wider scope I'd change my vote to that if I could.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I have cast my vote for Digimon themed lizard brain games. :getin:

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

SUNKOS posted:

Yeah, it does. I voted for games for grandma because of the copyright portion of the rules section, but now it sounds like terrible tie-ins would have a much wider scope I'd change my vote to that if I could.

I went ahead and allowed editing responses on the voting page.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

blastron posted:

If you've never read any fiction that's left your heart pounding then you need to read some better books.

If you've read any that was written by goons, then I suggest you read some better books

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone need/want a fast-learning-but-inexperienced UE4 guy? This would be my first SAGDC, but I've already got a bunch of experience fixing UE4 code and BPs at Epic, but making things... well, that's kinda unexplored terrain. If not, hey, I can always solo and grind myself into the earth slowly over the month.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

ALFbrot posted:

If you've read any that was written by goons, then I suggest you read some better books
I do not understand this retort. Could you please explain to the audience?

Voted for GfG because I had an idea I really liked for it.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The comedic possibilities of terrible tie ins is endless. Taking a franchise and creating something out of it that is completely and totally out there is one of my favorite things. Like a Seinfeld TCG, a Duck Dynasty dating sim... poo poo like that.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Duck Dynasty dating sim... poo poo like that.

The creators have pretty much beat you to that.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The comedic possibilities of terrible tie ins is endless. Taking a franchise and creating something out of it that is completely and totally out there is one of my favorite things. Like a Seinfeld TCG, a Duck Dynasty dating sim... poo poo like that.

But in HD. :unsmigghh:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Shindragon and I were brainstorming ideas and I'd like to be sure this falls into the acceptable range (on the tie-in theme): Alien vs. E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial. Both of those are copyrighted and trademarked, and while I don't expect we'd be using any assets, there's decidedly some shaky ground there. Will keep brainstorming, but I'm keen on the idea.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
A revolution in Games For Grandma conceptualization has occurred: Nobody said Grandma has to be human.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Grand means Big and Ma sortof almost means woman.

So basically Gigamaidens.

Buffis fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 16, 2016

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

This year I'm planning to get in a big fight with my wife so I have an excuse to move out for a month and actually make a polished game. I'll post relationship and game development statuses in parallel.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

BossRighteous posted:

This year I'm planning to get in a big fight with my wife so I have an excuse to move out for a month and actually make a polished game. I'll post relationship and game development statuses in parallel.

I have to have a long talk with mine about what a "Game Jam" is. She still thinks I'll just be playing games.

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:
i have a great idea for lizard brains and if grandma wins it'll be grandma lizard brains

e:a great idea that'll never be finished

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008

JonTerp posted:

• Build a team of no more than 3 people

Team Phlargenarffen might have to split into two this year :v:

Lord Humongus posted:

i have a great idea for lizard brains and if grandma wins it'll be grandma lizard brains

e:a great idea that'll never be finished

Yeah I think I like the lizard brain idea the most, but any of them will work. Why not a game about your zapping your lizard grandma's brain with electricity and using her newly-overdriven-intellect to develop the most terrible cross-promotions the world has ever seen?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm dying to see what extra fuckyou is planned for those who make a game that hits all three themes.

I'm hoping the theme isn't terrible tie-ins because people will be biased towards games that parody 80s pop culture and I am a babby and therefore dislike this.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
If anyone is interested in collaborating for this jam (especially an artist!), toss me a private message or reply to me in this thread.

I'm planning to do a 2D project in Unity using C#, and at the moment ill be working by myself. It would be great to work in a team, would open up a whole new range of game options that aren't available to a single programmer.

e: Found a team, best of luck if your still looking.

Rob Filter fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 18, 2016

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Update on voting: Games for Grandma is winning. Try harder haters.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Direct democracy is a flawed system based on the provably incorrect assumption that people know what's best for them.

Under a direct democracy we'd be required to provide all ten-year-olds with breakfast cakes.

Lizard Brains is the best theme if you're interested in enjoyable gameplay. The grandmas are naively misguided.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I wanted to try last year but no one wanted me, but i'm a better artist now i promise. In 3d anyway.

If anyone needs an artist send a pm i'm keen for a reason to smash out some assets for a month.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Can we get a sign up sheet again this year for peeps who are unsure who they're working with?

gheric
Aug 2, 2013

ApproachingInfinity posted:

Team Phlargenarffen might have to split into two this year :v:

I'm way ahead of you. Team NegaPhlargen standing by.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Can we decide to join after July starts? I might do that.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Chernabog posted:

Can we decide to join after July starts? I might do that.

Yes. you can register and submit all the way up to the submission deadline.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Hammer Bro. posted:

Direct democracy is a flawed system based on the provably incorrect assumption that people know what's best for them.

Under a direct democracy we'd be required to provide all ten-year-olds with breakfast cakes.

Lizard Brains is the best theme if you're interested in enjoyable gameplay. The grandmas are naively misguided.

Lizard brains will just lead to a whole load of games involving reptiles as protagonists.

Grandma's are older, use wheelchairs, and have children to throw as projectiles, and thus are far superior.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I'm gonna make a game about nagging your children into producing more grandchildren.

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

What about grandpa's? Can we make games for them too?

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

Mustard Snobbery posted:

What about grandpa's? Can we make games for them too?

I had interpreted the theme as "senescence" rather than explicitly "grandmothers". Any game of or relating to the facets of aging or the struggles of twilight life.

Puzzle game where you have to take your pills at the right time in the right order and with food except the ones that require them to be on an empty stomach and oh god what color is blue is that 100mg/dose or per pill how aaaargfg.

Telephone-esque game where you're transliterating/decoding the messages that your grandson is giving you and passing them on to your life partner.

Prodding fun game where you're trying to turn on the devilishly complex television because you suck at technology.

Don't poo poo Your Pants: The Later Years.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Jo posted:

I had interpreted the theme as "senescence" rather than explicitly "grandmothers". Any game of or relating to the facets of aging or the struggles of twilight life.

Puzzle game where you have to take your pills at the right time in the right order and with food except the ones that require them to be on an empty stomach and oh god what color is blue is that 100mg/dose or per pill how aaaargfg.

Telephone-esque game where you're transliterating/decoding the messages that your grandson is giving you and passing them on to your life partner.

Prodding fun game where you're trying to turn on the devilishly complex television because you suck at technology.

Don't poo poo Your Pants: The Later Years.

The Later Years is the one I recommend starting with. It's less forgiving with the mess, seeing as diapers are only 10gp in the shop, and nurses eliminate the need for a cleanup mini-game

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Gamifying old people tasks is definitely a good place to start with Games For Grandma. I'm on a team this year but last year I wanted to make really quick wario ware style stages about being horribly old.

Grannies seem to universally either be lovely cute aul ones or absolute horrible liches kept alive by sheer hate and dark magic and I think you could get a lot of ideas from both.

I think Terrible Tie-ins and Games for Grandma have the best potential for goofyness/charm. Whereas Lizard Brain might stump a few people but offer up stranger mechanics.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm torn, I would love Terrible Tie-Ins or Lizard Brain because I don't like Games for Grandma, but if it was Games for Grandma, I wouldn't ever have to see that theme suggested again.

Either way, I will try to get a lizard noise into every game regardless of theme.

I may also try and get a grandma VO clip into every game regardless of theme.

Are bounties still a thing? They seemed semi-official for the last big jam. I'm considering doing an audio bounty of some sort, but not sure what yet.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Going to be looking for people to do 2d art and sound/music. Still not sure what kind of game I'd make for each theme but going to be doing a lot of driving today so will hopefully get some brainstorming in.

I worked on Impulse and #YesCallMen in previous years, here's my site with those games and some others: http://www.ironpencil.com/

Right now I think my only real viable idea is Grandma Babysitting Simulator - your kids keep dropping grandkids off at your house and you have to try to keep them alive while they run around and get into trouble.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Trying out the UE4 2D Platformer tutorial, I'm going places:

Two more weeks to play with this before we get started, imagine how many awesome bugs features I'll learn by then! :getin:

e: Making progress!

:derp:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 18, 2016

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Mo_Steel posted:

Trying out the UE4 2D Platformer tutorial, I'm going places:

Two more weeks to play with this before we get started, imagine how many awesome bugs features I'll learn by then! :getin:

e: Making progress!

:derp:

I love the idea of a game where the whole screen is just a giant set piece you can completely wreck

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
I might take part in this. Maybe not. I don't know what my situation next month is going to be like.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
Anyway BOUNTIES:

The Rules posted:

DON'T: Rip a 3D model of Waluigi and have his entrance music be "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor"

A copy of Putt-PuttŪ Goes to the Moon, Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine, Tomb Raider GOTY Edition, and Dropsy for Best dancing the line on this rule without breaking it. That is to say: I totally would like to see a full 3D Waluigi with "Let The Bodies Hit The Floor" as the entrance music in someone's game. Of course, ways to get around this would be to make your own recording of "Let The Bodies Hit The Floor", and instead of waluigi make a character that wears purple and call him "Bad Plumber's Mate". All I want is to have a game which has a character that is not unlike Waluigi who has their enterance music that sounds not unlike that one song by Drowning Pool. Is that too much to ask?

---

A copy of Her Story for Best use of FMV in a game. FMV is the Cool Indie Thing these days now that everyone's bored of pixel perfect platformers and procedurally generated dungeons

---

3 copies of FEZ for 3 of my favourite AwfulJams in-progress GIFs shared on Twitter. Everyone loves it when someone posts a broken thing on twitter. Probably because no one has ever seen a thing that actually works on twitter.

---

Indie Game: The Movie Steam Key for the best Movie documentary devlog. Alongside the new "Dear Diary Award" it would be nice to see some video devlogs of your teams slowly losing hope over time. Probably with some long "interviews" of the team members saying how much emotion they're putting into the game or whatever.

---

LUFTRAUSERS for MOST VLAMBEER-EST SCREENSHAKE. Think you have enough screenshake? Think again. More screenshake. MORE. NO. EVEN MORE THAN THAT. DON'T STOP. NEVER. STOP. SCREENSHAKING.

---

rolled over from the previous jam: a Humble Indie Bundle #2 Steam Key (which includes Braid (in honour of Jonathan Blow)) for the Best image of something that has helped you finish the jam game during crunch time (Doesn't have to be a piss jar, although, It'll be funnier if it was a piss jar).

---

3 copies of Worms Clan Wars for Best multiplayer game. There's always one person that does a multiplayer game every year and it doesn't do well in the Gong Show because the Demo Gods hates everyone. Well the Bounty Gods won't hate you (unless there's a multiplayer game that's better than yours, in that case nevermind).

---

a Humble Indie Bundle #2 Desura Key for WORST GAME THAT MAKES ME GO THROUGH HELL TO USE IT. If you're using Unity, make sure to do a web build so that anyone using windows 10 has to use Firefox to play it. If you're using GameMaker then CLEARLY GO WITH THE DEFAULT "CREATE APPLICATION WITH INSTALLER". When zipping, make sure your game isn't in a folder. also, make sure the zip is just "windows_build" or "sagamedev2016game" or something that isn't the name of the game or something. Also use .rar instead of .zip. Also use some outdated technology that requires you to install XNA or whatever to play the game. GO HOGWILD.

HOWEVER

The worst game that DOESN'T HAVE AWFUL PACKAGING will have the following games that I'll just pick randomly Jazzpunk, LIMBO, and Garry's Mod

---

2 copies of Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP for Best game I can play on my mobile phone. Cinder last year was pretty rad, I'd like to see more games that you can play on your phone or something. Perhaps a game I can CONTROL with my phone. Perhaps a game that everyone watching the gong show can control.

Afal fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 1, 2016

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Mo_Steel posted:

I have cast my vote for Digimon themed lizard brain games. :getin:
Ditto. It'd be like the atonal jazz improvisation of the indie game world. I want to see those terrible games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Just came up with the best idea for Lizard Brain, but it might be a little difficult to do well in the time available. I'll be excited to try it if Lizard Brain wins.

I think I have a good idea for each of the themes now, so I'm getting pretty hyped.

• Locked thread