Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ixnay on the Omelet
Sep 11, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ragnar34 posted:

Get this: I literally want to redistribute your wealth. The poor work harder than you, comrade. Also, the people who really pay for these social programs are the people who already don't work for a living, so you might as well chill.

It must be frustrating to support an ideology that will never eventuate.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

NSW_greens posted:

I'd still do things, they would just benefit me and not society. I wouldn't be a slave to parasites who play videogames and watch TV all day.

Why would mincome be enough to cause you to check out of work if you make significantly more than a mincome allowance? If this is truly how you feel, do you work for a few years, building up a tidy nest egg, and then quit and not work for a year?

Or is this more of a noble stand and sacrifice you'd make in a futile attempt to hurt :airquote: parasites, if mincome did exist?

Lastly, consumption helps society. You are not an island.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

NSW_greens posted:

I'd still do things, they would just benefit me and not society. I wouldn't be a slave to parasites who play videogames and watch TV all day.

Sheriff Joe 's policies are generally popular which is why he didn't get booted out years ago.

You still haven't lined up for your fentanyl reward. Don't you want it?

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

NSW_greens posted:

As your article says its likely because whites tend to sell more to friends and people they know, as opposed to dealing in more visible locations.

If you don't want to go to jail for dealing drugs, just don't deal drugs?
You missed the point. Your insinuation was that the reason people with high melanin content in their skin are in prison more is they commit crimes more. However, I have provided evidence that a different group actually commits more crime--but isn't actually imprisoned at the rate proportional to the number of crimes they commit. This tells you that some other factor is responsible. Hint: It's skin color. Police all over the country are racist as heck, as mutiple DOJ reports have found. This tells you that the Justice system has some fundamental flaws in it.

That doesn't even get into the fact that white-collar crime is almost never prosecuted, as evidence of the perpetrators of the 2008 economic crisis basically all being ignored. This is evidence we cannot ignore of the justice system not functioning to prevent, reduce, or even properly punish crime.

NSW_greens posted:

Social safety net sure. Universal basic income is just another word for "wealth redistribution". I work hard (and to be blunt I am very good at my job) partially because I enjoy what I do but also because the income is nice.UBI means my taxes will go up to fund people who want to lie on the beach all day. I'd rather join the unproductive masses and I imagine many others would do the same. Politicians will promise to increase the UBI to win elections and the whole system will turn to poo poo.
Do you actually care about ending violent crime? Then you need to end poverty. The studies on UBI have shown that very few groups actually work less (high school/college students and new parents), but quality of life increases and crime decreases. A pilot project in Nambia showed a 36% crime decrease--and an unemployment drop. I'm sorry you personally would become one of the societal "parasites" you decry, but most people just use it as an opportunity to improve their lives. (Ironically, as you're berating people for communism ITT, most major proponents of UBI are capitalists, both historically and presently, as the rest of the article covers).

NSW_greens posted:

I like the Sheriff Joe approach myself.
Sheriff Joe 's policies are generally popular which is why he didn't get booted out years ago.
You may like it and it may be popular, but it doesn't actually work. While Arizona's violent crime rate went down 12%, Sheriff Joe's county's rate went up 58%. Setting aside Arpaio's racism and other corrupt and unconstitutional practices, his methods straight up don't work.

If you actually care about decreasing crime, then you should use evidence to create policy, not what feels good.

Uranium Phoenix fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 21, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

NSW_greens posted:

The solution is not to put these people in jail in the first place. Prison should be for people who have done wrong and

1. Should be isolated to protect society
2. Should be harsh to act as a deterrent
3. Should, in the later part of the sentence, switch to rehabilitation.

Increased harshness is almost completely ineffective as a deterrent. The thing that actually stops people is increased (perceived) risk of getting caught.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

NSW_greens posted:

gently caress you, and your loving stupid face.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Uranium Phoenix posted:

You may like it and it may be popular, but it doesn't actually work. While Arizona's violent crime rate went down 12%, Sheriff Joe's county's rate went up 58%. Setting aside Arpaio's racism and other corrupt and unconstitutional practices, his methods straight up don't work.

If you actually care about decreasing crime, then you should use evidence to create policy, not what feels good.

It works at what they want it to achieve: punishment and suffering. Sycophant authoritarians don't actually care about improving society, they care about assuring themselves that there are people in society worse than them (a falsehood), and torturing those people.

They'd bring back breaking on the wheel if we didn't control their sick impulses.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

NSW_greens posted:

You sound like a person that at best people tolerate. Tell me, how long have you been a discipline of Rand? Do you think it makes you less or more tolerated by your peers? Is everyone in the world an rear end in a top hat or is it more likely it's just you? And in the absence of positive attention since your views are so awful do you enjoy the negative attention as an edgelord?

You sound both boring, awful and selfish. That's an awful combination. Why don't you try working outside of your comfort zone and doing something kind for people who your more wretched moral compass would identify as people who can provide no benefit if you help?

In the classical sense a parasite (as you were tossing that word around) is defined as an organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense. If that organism is society and you do nothing for it while reaping benefits, then you are a parasite.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 21, 2016

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

NSW_greens posted:

It must be frustrating to support an ideology that will never eventuate.

More progressive taxation plus better welfare programs would be cool for now :shobon:

But seriously, are you real? I'm 50-50 on this right now. A lot of the time you talk like a caricature, like I guess you're talking about Sheriff Joe now? The "lol, pink uniforms and no air conditioning" guy? Last time I read about him, it was in an email forward in yellow comic sans text with lots of exclamation points.

e: It's like when the new drug dealer is using outdated slang to talk about his merchandise. If your Facebook authoritarian memes are this old, how do I know you're not an undercover cop?

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 21, 2016

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

valnas posted:

If you are caught with drugs, your are a dealer in the eyes of the law. Get real lol. There is no distinction. I got caught with about 4 grams of cannabis once, and the cops wrote it up as 36 grams b/c it was in a nalgene container with other heavier objects. Now it's over a weight limit, and I'm a dealer until I capitulate to the legal system or pay a lawyer. Those who can't end up doing labour with murderers and rapists.

Try standing in front of a judge to explain the nuance that 'the cops don't understand how to weigh drugs' and that you have much less than they are charging you with. It's basically ignored unless a lawyer says it. Then all of the sudden it's actual.

So is your car legally registered as a boat and do you sign your name in crayon because that makes it so it's not your ~LEGAL NAME~ and therefore the state can't enter joiner with you and trick you with their lawyer magic?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Lol you don't have to be a sovereign citizen to recognise that cops cut corners and that a cop's testimony is basically worth more the darker the defendant's skin tone is.

The justice system is corrupt as gently caress.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

woke wedding drone posted:

You still haven't lined up for your fentanyl reward. Don't you want it?
Fentanyl for everyone? Did you get NSW greens and me mixed up?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rockopolis posted:

Fentanyl for everyone? Did you get NSW greens and me mixed up?

I think so. After all, how many believers in authoritarianism do you have to add up to get one person?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
So, anyone got any news on them there prison strikes?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

OwlFancier posted:

"Prisoners have committed crimes against society so they should be made to work to enrich the wealthy." doesn't really make any sense.

If it was community labour you might have a point but otherwise it's just an attempt to find something to replace slavery.

Replace slavery my rear end. Slavery is legal in the United States, read your own constitution.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Replace slavery my rear end. Slavery is legal in the United States, read your own constitution.

Uh, it's not my constitution but I thought they sort of amended that to explicitly say that chattel slavery isn't legal?

They had a big war about it?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

woke wedding drone posted:

I think so. After all, how many believers in authoritarianism do you have to add up to get one person?
One and two thirds?

OwlFancier posted:

Uh, it's not my constitution but I thought they sort of amended that to explicitly say that chattel slavery isn't legal?

There's an exception of "in cases of criminal incarceration."
Big loophole, they used(?) to arrest black people for poo poo like vagrancy, fine them, then lock them up when they couldn't pay so they could send them to work on literal plantations.
:sherman:
I think it's the MoJo article that goes into more detail.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

No, but you're about to learn why the last prison thread didn't go places.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

What strike?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
I'm going to come at this from a completely un-empathetic cold financial economic point of view, since I feel like both sides are speaking past each other a bit... one side is accusing the other of being monsters, the other is saying 'why should I care about prisoners?'

But: every single job a prisoner is doing for $.50/hr or whatever is another job that is being taken away from hard working Americans. Think about that when you're buying that $40 piece of lingerie that was made for ten cents because of prison labor with a 'Made in USA' slapped on it. In 1990 two prisoners were placed in solitary because they leaked to the media that they were told to replace 'Made in Honduras' tags with 'Made in USA' tags. The stuff you're getting from grocery stores from 'sustainable American farms?' Prison labor. Whole Foods is especially bad about that.

At the same time, because there is now economic incentive for big companies to use prison labor, there are lobby groups funded by said big companies pushing for 3 strikes laws (and similar) that are questionable in their efficacy BUT do provide lots of long term prisoners - all paid for by taxpayer dime, of course.

Seems to me like if you care about securing American jobs and a strong American economy and working class, you'd not support for-profit prison labor. Don't even need to bring 'treat prisoners better' into it.

OwlFancier posted:

13th Amendment posted:

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 21, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

NSW_greens posted:

Also, as a quick aside, this is because most of his voting base is a bunch of old white people. Joe has directly lost the county over $64 MILLION dollars in settlements and court fees because of his frankly outrageous actions (such as arresting a bunch of journalists who badmouthed him for no other reason than that).

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2016/05/12/taxpayer-costs-sheriff-joe-arpaios-profiling-case-another-13m-top-41m/84293950/ posted:

The $41 million spending so far includes $10 million in attorney fees and $5 million for the monitoring staff. It represents only a part of the county’s heavy legal costs over Arpaio’s 23-year tenure.

The county has had to pay an additional $79 million in legal costs related to Arpaio’s office. That figure includes judgments, settlements and legal fees involving things such as lawsuits over jail deaths and the lawman’s failed investigations of political enemies.

Arpaio, who earns $100,000 a year as sheriff and owns more than $2 million in commercial real estate, has never had to pull money from his own pocket to pay for legal costs directly tied to his work as sheriff.

So again just from a purely cold financial point of view, his policies are not effectual and end up actually wasting obscene amounts of money.

quote:

“To spend this much money and find out we are nowhere close to being compliant is disturbing,” said Supervisor Steve Gallardo... "The money could have been used to pay for flood-control improvements, increases for county employees who have gone four years without raises, and other unfunded projects."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You're making the faulty assumption that people base their political preferences on rationality rather than emotion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Roylicious posted:

Also, as a quick aside, this is because most of his voting base is a bunch of old white people. Joe has directly lost the county over $64 MILLION dollars in settlements and court fees because of his frankly outrageous actions (such as arresting a bunch of journalists who badmouthed him for no other reason than that).

So again just from a purely cold financial point of view, his policies are not effectual and end up actually wasting obscene amounts of money.

How exactly does he not get fired?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

OwlFancier posted:

How exactly does he not get fired?

It's an elected position, most of his constituents are white racist retirees who love him for being tough on immigrants. People from AZ have told me that "it's the price you pay for an effective sheriff," effectiveness being measured simply by the amount of harassing non-white people get I guess (since as was already mentioned, his policies aren't actually effective at reducing crime or whatever).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why is the chief of the county police an elected position? :psyduck:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

'merica!!!!

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Yeah pretty much.

The long answer is because the sheriff is a powerful position not necessarily beholden to the federal/state government and thus people see it as a check against the power of 'big government.' They like feeling like the sheriff represents them versus being appointed by someone else (who they would be electing but hey).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

OwlFancier posted:

If you think that's bad, wait till you find out how many American states pick their judges.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Roylicious posted:

It's around 142 million since 1993.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Well, still not much to report. A few excerpts:

The Intercept posted:

A week into the strike, a couple of groups were providing updates on the action, which organizers say will carry on indefinitely, as well as outside demonstrations of solidarity.

The information blackout is largely due to prison officials’ ample discretion in the details they choose to disclose. As the strikes began, reports emerged of several facilities being put on lockdown, some preemptively, but the only way for outsiders to get updates would be to call each facility and ask, usually getting no explanation about the reasons for a lockdown. Reports also emerged claiming that prison leaders in Virginia, Ohio, California, and South Carolina were put in solitary confinement as a result of the strike, according to the Alabama supporters.
Retaliation against strikers is also hard to track, but outside advocates said that several leaders were put in isolation and denied communication privileges, making it even harder for information to come out.
“People on the outside are not understanding they are being bamboozled,” he added, expressing disappointment that the strike hadn’t garnered more attention. “A lot of people are not realizing the value in what’s going on, they don’t realize that it’s slavery, that slavery still exists.”
But while information on prisons is notoriously hard to obtain, a potentially larger problem for the striking prisoners is the seemingly limited interest in their plight, which remains confined to a few activists, family members, and formerly incarcerated people, even at a time when criminal justice issues and prison reform are high on the agenda of social justice advocates and politicians alike.

Pretty much every other article says the same thing: Media blackout, can't say much because the prisons are restricting information, and the leaders have been retaliated against. The one above did link to this, though, which apparently has occasional updates of some of the things going on. Here's some bits from Sept. 21st:

Mask Magazine posted:

“I would like you and supporters to know that there was a symbolic protest at Washington Correctional Center for Women in Gig Harbor on September 9. Three women refused to go to work in the prison library. The emergency response team was dispatched and the women were taken to Segregation. At their hearing last week, they were given 20 days in seg, and are facing reclassification and probably the loss of their jobs. In my opinion, this was a peaceful, non-violent expression of their opinions meant to draw attention to the issue of prison labor, and the response was much more disruptive than the event itself. The library has been closed since September 9. According to DOC, this was the only action in the entire state of Washington.”
As of 9/21 we have tracked 46 prisons and jails that experienced some kind of disruption between September 8 and 21st. This total includes both lockdowns reported by officials (some of whom deny that the lockdown was protest related) and reports of protests from prisoners and supporters (some of which did not lead to lockdowns or full strikes).

Of these, 31 facilities experienced a lock-down, suspension or full strike for at least 24 hours. Those 31 facilities house approximately 57,000 people. That is a guess at the minimum number of prisoners affected by the nationally coordinated strike.

There is likely much more going on behind the prison gates that we do not yet know about. We receive new information on a daily basis. In some places the strike lasted a day or a weekend, but in some, it seems to be going strong 12 days in.
More in the link if people are interested.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Solitary confinement as a punishment method is pretty cruel if you ask me and I don't know that I like it being used so freely. I'm not for coddling anyone but at the same time if we could not just create hardened psycho criminals that'd be nice too.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Solitary confinement is literal torture, as in it will literally drive someone insane. The effects of it as psychological torture have been pretty well documented, particularly as a lot of it probably has government funding.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ddraig posted:

Solitary confinement is literal torture, as in it will literally drive someone insane. The effects of it as psychological torture have been pretty well documented, particularly as a lot of it probably has government funding.

Didn't the u.n. actually declare it cruel and unusual rather recently? Social isolation is one of the worst things you can do to a person.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The irony of solitary confinement is that when it was first brought in it was a seen as a humane, corrective alternative that would allow prisoners time for solemn contemplation. They didn't realise at the time that a savage beating would probably do less lasting damage.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

TomViolence posted:

The irony of solitary confinement is that when it was first brought in it was a seen as a humane, corrective alternative that would allow prisoners time for solemn contemplation. They didn't realise at the time that a savage beating would probably do less lasting damage.

http://www.clickhole.com/article/progress-prison-will-replace-solitary-confinement--4816

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

OwlFancier posted:

Sheriff's are largely elected everywhere and they have varying degrees of authority. In some states they also handle tax collection.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

County government structure varies widely across the U.S., but it is fairly common for certain executive positions like the treasurer and sheriff to be elected independently of the legislature, as many counties don't have a strong, independent chief executive equivalent to a mayor, governor, or president. Arpaio isn't an example of a flaw in this system, because his constituents know what they want, they're voting for it, and they're getting it. If his position was an appointed one, they'd just be voting for an executive who would promise to appoint a similarly belligerent rear end in a top hat.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Roylicious posted:

Solitary confinement as a punishment method is pretty cruel if you ask me and I don't know that I like it being used so freely. I'm not for coddling anyone but at the same time if we could not just create hardened psycho criminals that'd be nice too.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Didn't the u.n. actually declare it cruel and unusual rather recently? Social isolation is one of the worst things you can do to a person.
Unfortunately, prisons need some form of corecion they can apply to those who refuse to abide by their rules, and solitary confinement also serves several ancillary purposes, like isolating dangerous prisoners and gang leaders from the rest of the inmate population. Any sort of coercion applied over a long period of time is going to have deleterious psychological impacts, so isolation certainly seems to be the least bad option.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

County government structure varies widely across the U.S., but it is fairly common for certain executive positions like the treasurer and sheriff to be elected independently of the legislature, as many counties don't have a strong, independent chief executive equivalent to a mayor, governor, or president. Arpaio isn't an example of a flaw in this system, because his constituents know what they want, they're voting for it, and they're getting it. If his position was an appointed one, they'd just be voting for an executive who would promise to appoint a similarly belligerent rear end in a top hat.

I would suggest that splitting things into many small elected roles makes it easier to fill each role with the most populist garbage you can find.

E: vvvvv Also "lol what's a PCC?" because nobody turned out for it. I don't think they even do anything, I think they're just there to give suggestions.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Sheriff's are largely elected everywhere and they have varying degrees of authority. In some states they also handle tax collection.

I think it's more that this is an insane proposition to a lot of people who aren't American

The UK just started electing Police and Crime Commissioners and everyone's immediate response was "why the gently caress would we want to do that"

• Locked thread