Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

soupbone sal posted:

Why would my friend be driving around my drugged up girlfriend in the first place??

she was at my place and her car was parked in a no overnight parking area a mile or two away

it was okay; I exaggerate really. The tranny was fine. Just a pain in the butt if you need someone to help you out and no one around can drive a manual right.

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
look at this grandpa op that still owns a car smh

whats next? riding to work on a horse?

soupbone sal
Oct 29, 2016

Moridin920 posted:

she was at my place and her car was parked in a no overnight parking area a mile or two away

it was okay; I exaggerate really. The tranny was fine. Just a pain in the butt if you need someone to help you out and no one around can drive a manual right.

:synpa:

Congrats on the sugar mama.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
we split up years ago and her dad was just a BMW mechanic nothing super fancy. wasn't like a brand new M3 or anything.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

bone app the teeth posted:

look at me i lack basic adult skills

explain how driving a manual transmission improves your life as an adult, without reasons like "my car is faster" and "gas mileage"

soupbone sal
Oct 29, 2016
it's fun and lets you feel better than idiots who don't know how to do it

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

bradzilla posted:

explain how driving a manual transmission improves your life as an adult, without reasons like "my car is faster" and "gas mileage"

i won't fail in the scenario of "i need you to drive this manual transmission vehicle"

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
Driving manual is fun. Why do you hate fun?

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Counterpoint: getting a beej while driving is more fun and manuals make that a problem. RIP road head :(

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bag em and tag em posted:

Counterpoint: getting a beej while driving is more fun and manuals make that a problem. RIP road head :(

Have the person gobble the stick and shift with their head, problem solved
I don't know why that isn't a mad max deleted scene

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

i ride a horse :horse:

I save the horses and ride cowboys.

soupbone sal
Oct 29, 2016

unpacked robinhood posted:

Have the person gobble the stick and shift with their head, problem solved

Or just park the car.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

My CVT gets 40mpg. :smug:

I get 50 mpg. And have 550 horsepower.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gay Weed Dad posted:

OP will car shift the instant you tell it when in 'manual' mode? I've only driven a few cars with 'manual' mode but each one seemed to only take the +/- as a suggestion rather than an immediate command.

thats cause the car's computer doesn't want the idiot that engaged the fake manual mode to stall the car shifting into 4th at 5mph or wreck the car putting it in 1st going 100 and instantly losing so much speed they get rear ended or whatever.

i'm not even sure an automatic transmission can take the stress of engine breaking by down shifting i don't know poo poo about cars except how much fun stick is.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the tiptronic stuff shifts as soon as you tell it to (and faster than you could do it manually), the only time it won't is when it would result in things like Real hurthing! mentioned.

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm not even sure an automatic transmission can take the stress of engine breaking by down shifting i don't know poo poo about cars except how much fun stick is.

you can do it but yeah it can gently caress your transmission up

but you CAN

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
they had to special order my manual transmission so i didn't save any money over an automatic

it's kind of fun i guess, sometimes i miss an automatic car though. by the time i get a new car it will probably be self driving and i won't have to worry about any of this nonsense

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

how else will i fill the vehicle with a burning odor if not by riding the clutch trying to balance my car on a 40 degree incline without using the handbrake like a goddamn loser idiot

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Manual trannies are fun in high-revving sporty vehicles, a pita otherwise. I spent a couple years driving a 13-speed semitruck across North America and that's all the shifting I ever want to do ever again. Unless it's a Miata or Mazda rotary or something.

fuck the mods
Mar 30, 2015

Gay Weed Dad posted:

OP will car shift the instant you tell it when in 'manual' mode? I've only driven a few cars with 'manual' mode but each one seemed to only take the +/- as a suggestion rather than an immediate command.

Yes. There really is no advantage to a manual transmission anymore, including fuel economy, vs a modern automatic transmission in a non poo poo heap model car

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I used to drive a shitheap manual truck around. It was a chick-magnet in its own way. "Ohh a manual! Can you teach meeeee?"

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
what happens if you put your foot down in an automatic ,does it drop gears so you zoom off past the idiot fucker in front of you

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

XMNN posted:

what happens if you put your foot down in an automatic ,does it drop gears so you zoom off past the idiot fucker in front of you

depends on the car! drove a cruze that would downshift after a few seconds of doing nothing and drove an malibu that never downshifted and also happened to be the biggest piece of poo poo I've ever driven. drove an altima that worked p much as you described/would expect

anyway gently caress malibus they are poo poo.

e: malibu not impala

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 18, 2016

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

MY BMW has a little button behind the gas pedal so when you floor it it makes the car shift down a few gears and blasts forwards :smug:

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
90% of car show visiting public:

"Oh look a 19xx Sports Car!"

*leans towards open window, spilling fries on car*

"Phh, it's an auto dude."

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

Stick is for manly men. This is why a part of me was sad when I saw that Mel Gibsons car in the first Mad Max was an automatic. :sad:

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I drive a 2010 Malibu with an automatic transmission. It's a great car and it seats five. I get about 35 mpg freeway. I can listen to my iPhone through the auxiliary input. It has a remote start which was standard on all 2010 Malibus. My Malibu is silver and has a few scratches because I bought it from a 90 year old woman, but it drives great. It has less than 7,000 miles on it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

XMNN posted:

A lot of the fancier cars that you'd actually want to do this in have a couple modes that switch the ECU tuning up, yeah. Flip it to "gently caress my gas mileage" mode and have at it.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

My step daughter turned 17 and wanted a car, and picked out a convertible VW cabrio. It was a few thousand so I just paid cash for it. She did not know how to drive stick so I showed her and in a few hours she got the hang of it. She said it was like, not a big deal at all. Now I don't need to give her rides anymore, and she can drive a stick in case she ever needs to. I have borrowed it a couple times and would say it is more "fun" to drive than my car, but a little convertible is going to be more fun than a huge sedan no matter what transmission it has.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Do EV's even have a transmission?

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Three-Phase posted:

Do EV's even have a transmission?

Yeah you can order a Tesla with a six-speed

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

bag em and tag em posted:

Counterpoint: getting a beej while driving is more fun and manuals make that a problem.

Not while she's driving. :smuggo:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Everything's all weird now. Back when I was a teenager in the mid-2000s, you got poo poo talked for driving an automatic, but nowadays you gotta put up with a bunch of millennial twinks STEM Majors getting triggered because you can use a clutch.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
People who never learned how to drive a stick are like adults who never learned how to swim. Now that you're an adult it's too weird to ask somebody to show you how.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

My CVT gets 40mpg. :smug:

That's almost 1000 km/dkl !!! :eek:

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Are you one of those people who thinks that competitive motorsports aren't a real sport and that you could do it too?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm sorry you can't drive a proper car op.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I drive an automatic right now but I miss driving a stick. My next car is definitely going to be a manual.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I was driving stick shift before I was tall enough to reach the pedals. The advantage with manual is shifting leaves neutral open a lot more and allows you to move into gear of your choice. There's a lot you can't do with an electric shifter.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

It's handy to be able to kickstart your car. Lot harder to do that with an automatic (and impossible in some cases.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
Once you become an adult OP and learn how to drive a stick, you can then become a man and learn how to double clutch, and after you learn how to double clutch you can become a God like me and learn how to float gears.

• Locked thread