Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cams
Mar 28, 2003

we should all have more respect for how sensitive dumb motherfuckers are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

My Linux Rig posted:

Aka how trump won

:nallears:

they weren't going to change their votes anyway, the breakdown of the last four elections shows that republicans essentially turn out the same people consistently

thinking that trying to change their opinions by not calling them morons was the mistake Hillary made trying to court moderate republicans

"oh god, yeah you've got a ton of deplorables next to you but most of the republicans are just hardworking people who are anxious about things, people should have empathy for those people" not to mention trying to appeal to moderate-leaning republicans instead of going FULL COMMUNISM NOW

that certainly worked out well for her

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

pretending that all you need to approach them with respect and empathy when they're forwarding each other infowars.com videos about how obama is a literal demon and letting their exuberance overcome them in various ways (ironically) is dumb

cams
Mar 28, 2003

there is a point to be made about people dismissed the rural voters in communities that have been hit by modernization, but "they voted against their own interests because liberals were mean to them" is legit stupid

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

if you're trying to make the argument that they would've voted differently if those smug liberals hadn't hurt their fee-fees you're either low-effort trolling or you're admitting that you vote for dumb crybaby reasons

or both, who cares

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
so what portion of the electorate do you think votes for dumb reasons?

1%? 2%? enough to swing the swing states?

lol
owed

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

i am completely owed

yes

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
tricky dick!

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Your family likely cares about you and loves you deeply. No matter what, they are an important part of your life. Cherish those you call your family, for you are blessed to have them.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
the fundamental thing is not all the individuals who swung from obama to trump (how many even did that?) but all the people who hillary failed to mobilize at all because "vote for a neoliberal or you're gonna get a neofascist" doesn't actually motivate the people who neoliberalism hosed over and criticizing them for it is counterproductive compared to offering a better candidate with a better platform and a better campaign. people who are down with white supremacism still need an rear end kicking.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Believe it or not, most of the people who disagree with you politically aren't terrible human beings, but, within the context of their understanding of reality, are doing the best they can to be the best people they can!!

For an effort post: my pops is a Christian pastor and "Reagan" Conservative, and all that goes along with that. He thought that Hillary was the devil. He thinks that homosexuality is a sin. However, none of that stops my dad from being the kindest, gentlest person I know. He loves and appreciates every gay person he meets, never lectures them or imposed his viewpoints on them. He treats everyone equally. He sat down and had several lunches with an Aryan Neo-nazi and genuinely tried to help the guy, even though my mom is Jewish and in this dude's worldview she was subhuman. My pops is really into the bible, and because of that he would put himself in danger or even lay down his life for a perfect stranger, even if they were the sinniesst "sinner" who had ever sinned.

And yeah, he probably voted for Trump (I haven't asked and I'm not going to). It's not because he's malicious, "deplorable", a nazi, or evil. It's really depressing to me to see on here people vilifying the millions upon millions of people who voted Trump and painting them all with the same brush. That's how we lost, and we'll lose again and again and again if we keep it up. That Neo-nazi I mentioned? I my dad had just screamed, "gently caress you buddy, my wife is Jewish" and socked him, then the guy would have one more reason to hate Jews. Instead, because loving people like my dad and that guy's family reached out, years later he came back into the fold of the Chrisian church and recanted his nazism.

So yeah, happy thanksgiving everybody. Treat you family members who disagree with you with kindness. Forgive them their Trump support, for they know not what they do. Recognize that politics is temporal and fleeting, but that family lasts Ito eternity.

Or jut be a smug little bitch and make everyone hate you.

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Again, this attitude is why we have very little chance of winning. If we can't understand the reality tunnel of republicans, if we just write them off as "dumb as gently caress", then we're screwed. There will never be hope for any sort of cohesion in the nation; it'll just be two sides thinking that the other one is garbage. I am so, so sorry for the Bill Maher link, especially the stupid title and the part where he brings Islam into all this for no reason at all, but he and his guest do an okay job here analyzing this particular failure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3-uNxmNj5o
gently caress you, gently caress your dad, gently caress Bill Maher, and gently caress anyone who blames a Trump victory on anyone but the neo-nazi scum who voted for Trump. They know exactly what they're doing.

If you don't like that, I suggest you realize that within the context of my reality that I'm doing the best I can to be the best I can!! If you write me off as a "smug little bitch" then we're screwed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
While cathartic, your view leads to either no political engagement or eliminationist engagement. It is a useless point of view unless you want to start murdering half the population.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my family members that didn't sever ties in '08 after the election ended up doin so in '12 after the election b/c "how could a proud louisianian vote for that friend of the family twice i guess that's what living in a city does to you"

but joke's on them they're the poor as hell side of the family so they'll come crawling back eventually when someone gets a million dollars of cancer medical bills or their house gets washed away b/c they still live out in coastal mississippi or the florida panhandle and you can't pray hurricanes away

anyway happy thanksgiving mawmaw i hope the new president you're so happy about doesn't gently caress up funding for the VA since that's literally the only thing keeping your tiny town on life support

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Has anyone been successful with the nuclear option from the OP?

I'd have something to share except that most of my family is progressive and I had Thai for thanksgiving.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Grouchio posted:

I'd have something to share except that most of my family is progressive and I had Thai for thanksgiving.

on the way over to dinner my stepfather declared that he was a proud white supremacist and that he hopes trump really is "an american hitler". i told him he was a loving idiot and got out of the car and walked home. the rest of my family thinks i'm crazy for getting upset instead of letting it slide. i'm easily trolled.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
that_really_happened.txt

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
it really did tho. sometimes assholes are real!

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Basically everyone over 40 at my extended family thanksgiving was actively dying due to medical issues which could be treated, cured, or prevented with proper medical science. But all the people there, none of whom make more than $100k annually, voted for Trump to take away their insurance.

It was maddening.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ScrubLeague posted:

Basically everyone over 40 at my extended family thanksgiving was actively dying due to medical issues which could be treated, cured, or prevented with proper medical science. But all the people there, none of whom make more than $100k annually, voted for Trump to take away their insurance.

It was maddening.

If they're dying from treatable issues what was their insurance doing for them?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I can't speak for everyone but the one person who talked to me about their insurance has the cheapest available plan with a deductible so high that they can't afford to actually use it. This person definitely could afford an extra $50 per paycheck to offset 70% of the deductible, as happened when I switched plans a few years ago.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

deadgoon posted:

on the way over to dinner my stepfather declared that he was a proud white supremacist and that he hopes trump really is "an american hitler". i told him he was a loving idiot and got out of the car and walked home. the rest of my family thinks i'm crazy for getting upset instead of letting it slide. i'm easily trolled.

Congrats on making the guy who chose to announce at thanksgiving he was a proud white supremacist (he was prob joking you dunce but still) look like the mature one somehow.

The only way your response would have been even remotely appropriate was if your family were all driving to go beat up minorities or something. At thanksgiving you either have a polite discussion about it or stfu.

Extremely low T.

TheLightPurges has issued a correction as of 14:04 on Nov 25, 2016

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
why do u think politely tolerating white supremacy is mature, that's like politely tolerating rape

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

deadgoon posted:

why do u think politely tolerating white supremacy is mature, that's like politely tolerating rape

Not really no.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

deadgoon posted:

theres a very big gap between politely tolerating and running away like a coward.

which is what you did. you ran away when someone else has a bad opinion. you coward.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
poo poo i just got triggered hard without the clutch when i read 'white supremacy' ive gotta logoff byeee stop the car

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
actually, hitler was bad and not cool

if you are a nazi you might discover that people don't want to eat dinner with you if that bothers you you should reconsider being a nazi

if getting angry at stuff is wrong i dont wanna be right

deadgoon has issued a correction as of 14:56 on Nov 25, 2016

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

deadgoon posted:

if you are a nazi you might discover that people don't want to eat dinner with you if that bothers you you should reconsider being a nazi

Ah yes, the "screw you guys, I'm going home" method of debate

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Fighting Nazis in 1940: "We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

In 2016: "My word! I can't believe you would use such language. Please stop the car and let me leave before I get the vapors"

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

deadgoon posted:

Its telling that you think this is why people are laughing at you.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
idk i mean i guess i could have beaten up an aging boomer instead of breaking off relations with him maybe i will do that next time i encounter a hitler fan

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Grouchio posted:

my family is progressive and I had Thai for thanksgiving.

hosed up if true.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Grouchio posted:

The true face of white genocide.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The people who really are mad at their families and stuff are really funny lol

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

deadgoon posted:

Actually Hitler was really, really good, and smart.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

yeah if my family were self identified white supremacists i'd bail. "it's just your family suck it up" is a real weird sentiment to me and makes me think you're all gigantic pussies without a backbone, or you are real used to normalizing awful behavior from the people around you.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Slamhound posted:

gently caress you, gently caress your dad, gently caress Bill Maher, and gently caress anyone who blames a Trump victory on anyone but the neo-nazi scum who voted for Trump. They know exactly what they're doing.

If you don't like that, I suggest you realize that within the context of my reality that I'm doing the best I can to be the best I can!! If you write me off as a "smug little bitch" then we're screwed.

hahahaha baloogan probated this guy for this, he really is just a sensitive beta

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

cams posted:

yeah if my family were self identified white supremacists i'd bail. "it's just your family suck it up" is a real weird sentiment to me and makes me think you're all gigantic pussies without a backbone, or you are real used to normalizing awful behavior from the people around you.

Uh I think you should love and respect your family.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
smoked like turkey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Black Baby Goku posted:

Uh I think you should love and respect your family.
that's weird because i think respect is earned and you're a spineless pussy

• Locked thread