Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
As long as we have people who absolutely refuse, even with a 40% pay jump, to even consider the possibility of living amongst the (blood dripping font) R E P U B L I C A N S nothing will ever get fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

fits my needs posted:

Yeah, bring back the good old days of Snake Oil Salesmen and we can at least provide Great Leap Forward levels of medical care to these folks. Hell, if we could come up with Traditional Southern Medicine like there is Traditional Chinese Medicine there's a ton of reasons to quickly become a medical professional! Supply problem solved!

there is traditional southern medicine

what do you think dirt farmin is about

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
as a leftist i firmly believe in helping the poor

WAIT TO HELP THE POOR I HAVE TO SHARE CONDITIONS WITH THEM I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR THIS

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
my god these savages, these sub humans, these conservatives actually think taco bell is ethnic food. [rips off skin]

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

logikv9 posted:

good job your obamacare can afford that cadiologist appointment, unfortunately the closest one is in the city 35 miles away because well you live in the middle of nowhere

I think you forgot a zero.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
*looks at op* i think the dem thread is better for healthcare cost chat, this very much seems like a "doctors don't want to be in [flyover state]" thread

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Peanut President posted:

my god these savages, these sub humans, these conservatives actually think taco bell is ethnic food. [rips off skin]

p sure theres better mexican restaurants in red states that rednecks like to drink cervezas at tex mex dont fukken count

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

logikv9 posted:

*looks at op* i think the dem thread is better for healthcare cost chat, this very much seems like a "doctors don't want to be in [flyover state]" thread

I mean I said how to fix the OP's problem but my accent is apparently too thick for your coastal ears.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

bawfuls posted:

Or maybe when you're already going to make $700,000 per year, 40% more money isn't as important to some people as other quality of life issues that have already been brought up in this thread?

If you think the quality of life difference anywhere in the US outside of some very extreme areas like the Alaskan bush, some Indian reservations, or super poverty stricken areas of the south is greater than half a million a year (when that half a million is more than a third of your salary, not like half a million out of a billion or something like that) then you probably have a weird and screwed up understanding of what it is like to live outside of a huge metro area.

And even in those super extreme areas there are people spending a couple of years slumming it for the paycheck before moving back somewhere more comfortable. And their pay differential is a hell of a lot less than $500k/year.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
this is what teledoctoring is for. we can help the poor from hundreds of miles away without having to smell them. we can even put digital dog ears on their faces to make them more likable just get robot arms to remove their diabetic limbs or adminster insulin and its just like a real doctor is there

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Day 294: I think I finally have been accepted by the natives, after discussing with one of the larger males the musical qualities of one Allen Jockson

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Peanut President posted:

I mean I said how to fix the OP's problem but my accent is apparently too thick for your coastal ears.

your solution was just to nationalize healthcare but that won't make surgeons want to live in Nebraska

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Peanut President posted:

Day 294: I think I finally have been accepted by the natives, after discussing with one of the larger males the musical qualities of one Allen Jockson

Day 269: A grit is a hominy, they tell me. But where is home in me?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Fullhouse posted:

your solution was just to nationalize healthcare but that won't make surgeons want to live in Nebraska

If you're paying them enough, yeah.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Like the OP says cities and states can't afford to attract doctors because of their money issues, states and cities usually don't fund space missions or invade countries either.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

also, maybe this is the :420: talkin but what if we nationalized healthcare, i bet we could make med school more affordable too maybe

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Day 269: A grit is a hominy, they tell me. But where is home in me?

Day 444: During a rather raucous debate on the automobile control capabilities of one Jim Johnston, I was able to slip in a comment about who the real 'bad driver' is in our economy; the capital gains tax

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Middle American/Southern Man realizes he lives in a festering poo poo hole that no modern professional that makes real money actually wants to live in.

It's called America and freedom bitch and if they want to spend it on watching Hamilton in SF and then driving their luxury cars to Napa to have some wine then who are you to tell doctors what to do?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
people are turning down $1.2 mil for utah, the issue has obviously surpassed "i'm not getting paid enough" for this unless we ramp it up to :stare: levels of pay

like i said doctors at this age aren't singles looking for 3-4 years of working so they can move back to [home city] and start a family, they're not willing to leave the families they have or are unwilling to force them along

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Are the flyovers ever responsible for their own actions or communities?

Maybe someone doesn't want to go through 8 years of medical school only to wind up in a school district that teaches electricity is magic. Maybe they don't want to be frisked by the bathroom police everytime they need to take a piss. Maybe money isn't the only consideration in their decisions, especially when they're going to be making high 6 figures anyway.

No, it's gotta be the $12 tacos and Hamilton tickets.

Stop voting republican, shitheads.
Stop blaming democrats, shitheads.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

logikv9 posted:

people are turning down $1.2 mil for utah, the issue has obviously surpassed "i'm not getting paid enough" for this unless we ramp it up to :stare: levels of pay

like i said doctors at this age aren't singles looking for 3-4 years of working so they can move back to [home city] and start a family, they're not willing to leave the families they have or are unwilling to force them along

Then there is no solution.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Peanut President posted:

If you're paying them enough, yeah.

how much is enough because someone making a seven-figure salary in the countryside is foreign and absurd to me, but also apparently insufficient

Peanut President posted:

oh OK guess we better give up on providing healthcare. can't be done

the bitcoin of weed has issued a correction as of 18:39 on Jan 10, 2017

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Fullhouse posted:

how much is enough because someone making a seven-figure salary in the countryside is foreign and absurd to me, but also apparently insufficient

I don't know. I'm not the guys turning down a million dollars because they can't stand Utah.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Peanut President posted:

the solution is revolution :q:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Peanut President posted:

I don't know. I'm not the guys turning down a million dollars because they can't stand Utah.

jesuss christ i would love to be able to just say 'gently caress golf this weekend im goin to monument valley' these people are fukken idiots

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

and you could like totally afford to pay your nurse or janitor or whomever a grand to go to colorado and buy a few good bags of :420: and just get high as gently caress in one of the most beautiful places in the fukken solar system

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
we stuck all the medical schools in the cities because that's where all the resources to start a medical school happen to be, and then recruited students from all over who primarily lean towards city life / liberal-leftist thoughts because they had to go to college in the first place. then we stuck them in a building for four years, shuffled them to other cities for other hospitals for another 3-6 years, and now expect them to drop everything and work in nebraska

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
You can't make people live where they don't want. They refuse literal millions of dollars. Short of just nuking 2/3rds of the country you can't fix it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Peanut President posted:

As long as we have people who absolutely refuse, even with a 40% pay jump, to even consider the possibility of living amongst the (blood dripping font) R E P U B L I C A N S nothing will ever get fixed.

texas doesn't even have ob/gyns anymore since they've got such a boner about eliminating women's clinics due to ~*abortions*~ and now they have the highest rate of pregnant lady death in the entire developed world

drat those greedy vagina doctors who don't like texas. drat them straight to hell

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Peanut President posted:

You can't make people live where they don't want. They refuse literal millions of dollars. Short of just nuking 2/3rds of the country you can't fix it.

well poo poo is that all we need done? trumpll fix it no time flat ! :smugdon:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

texas doesn't even have ob/gyns anymore since they've got such a boner about eliminating women's clinics due to ~*abortions*~ and now they have the highest rate of pregnant lady death in the entire developed world

drat those greedy vagina doctors who don't like texas. drat them straight to hell

Why did they vote republican? or can doctors not vote in texas?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Peanut President posted:

have you considered actually fixing that 2/3 of the country so that anyone might ever want to live there

nah we'd better fund some more tax cuts for the local employer that rules us like a fuedal lord by selling our elementary schools to private capital

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Peanut President posted:

there are other types of doctors there and whooo boy they are republican as gently caress

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Peanut President posted:

lol you're dumb as hell if you think the people who are trained to give abortions tend to vote republican

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Fullhouse posted:

have you considered actually fixing that 2/3 of the country so that anyone might ever want to live there

nah we'd better fund some more tax cuts for the local employer that rules us like a fuedal lord by selling our elementary schools to private capital

How would you fix it? No one with two brain cells to rub together wants to live in those places. Money doesn't help. Voting doesn't do anything when the Dems don't run in your state. You want people who are walking around half dead from cancer to overthrow a state government?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
families with one or more doctors in them tend to prioritize educational opportunities in places where they would potentially put down roots

so i'd say a good first step would be unfucking that aspect of these places

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

families with one or more doctors in them tend to prioritize educational opportunities in places where they would potentially put down roots

so i'd say a good first step would be unfucking that aspect of these places

Okay how the gently caress are you gonna do that? Teachers don't want to live in those places either.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
full communism now of course

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

full communism now of course

I mean if we're gonna do that then the doctor problem is fixed automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
More like crapitalism

• Locked thread