Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

dont even fink about it posted:

After some years, people are starting to come around on Scarface actually being a piece of poo poo movie.

Nah, it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Basebf555 posted:

I know that's a pretty standard criticism of Spielberg, but I've never really understood why its a problem. The sentimentality rarely seems to hurt the movie, but obviously that's just my own opinion, plenty feel that it does.

I like Spielberg, but I do think it gets old how every one of his movies except the first couple Indiana Jones have this as a major subplot.

DeimosRising posted:

It's a perfect movie. On a lot of days, I'd say it's THE perfect movie. Mitchum's "Reverend" Harry Powell is maybe the only villain character as influential as the Universal monsters.

I thought the ending was kind of anticlimactic. The bad guy shows up, gets shot once, and runs away. Cut to him being arrested. The end. Other than that, I really liked it.

I may be cheating a bit on this one, because Empire Strikes Back is a good movie, but I disagree with the consensus that it's the best in the series. It definitely has some of the best character moments, but hardly anything actually happens in it. At least half the movie is Luke training and Han and Leia hiding on a tiny ship. I totally understand why some people like it best, but I prefer more structured movies that tell a complete story, rather than the obvious middle chapter wheel-spin that ESB was.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

I tried The Searchers. I don't understand when people say that John Wayne is acting against type or acting in any way out of the ordinary. The character is just an intensified version of his normal cranky man. The movie is not a brilliant, nuanced statement on racism - Native Americans attack and kidnap his relatives, so he is mad at them. The action is somewhat dull.

Gorgeous cinematography though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Soggy Cereal posted:

I tried The Searchers. I don't understand when people say that John Wayne is acting against type or acting in any way out of the ordinary. The character is just an intensified version of his normal cranky man. The movie is not a brilliant, nuanced statement on racism - Native Americans attack and kidnap his relatives, so he is mad at them. The action is somewhat dull.

Gorgeous cinematography though.

The movie isn't especially concerned with the victims of John Wayne's racism, or even making the case that his racism is misguided, the focus is on how he's personally destroyed and alienated from his family and civilization by his own racism.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Bicycle Thieves is painfully tedious. Laaventura is completely void of content. Au Hasard Balthazar is the dullest movie I've ever seen.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Boyhood is Richard Linklater's worst movie.

edit: full disclosure, I haven't seen SubUrbia and I fell asleep halfway though Me and Orson Welles

General Dog fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 26, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

General Dog posted:

The movie isn't especially concerned with the victims of John Wayne's racism, or even making the case that his racism is misguided, the focus is on how he's personally destroyed and alienated from his family and civilization by his own racism.

Yeah, The Searchers is more of a character study than an attack on the US' treatment of Native Americans. It exposes the gunfighter as an embittered, broken man ostracised by society, rather than a heroic ideal worth striving for.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Bicycle Thieves is painfully tedious. Laaventura is completely void of content. Au Hasard Balthazar is the dullest movie I've ever seen.

How do you feel about Tokyo Story?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Samuel Clemens posted:

So, so boring. I think I liked Bicycle Thieves at the time, but I barely remember anything about it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I hate Dead Man, it's insanely boring. I'm not going to hate on Jim Jarmusch, though. I think if he had made The Revenant it would have been a million times better.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Samuel Clemens posted:

I liked it a lot, actually. It didn't make me weep buckets like its reputation says you're supposed to but I was pretty involved and I really enjoy Ozu's use of narrative ellipse to use the mundane as a highlighter on the emotional lives of the characters. Bicycle Thieves is the opposite for me, it's all plodding, desultory stuff that's supposed to wrench my heart out but it comes across as sort of generic.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Monsters is a grade A piece of poo poo and I will fight any and all people who like that loving thing.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I liked it a lot, actually. It didn't make me weep buckets like its reputation says you're supposed to but I was pretty involved and I really enjoy Ozu's use of narrative ellipse to use the mundane as a highlighter on the emotional lives of the characters. Bicycle Thieves is the opposite for me, it's all plodding, desultory stuff that's supposed to wrench my heart out but it comes across as sort of generic.

Interesting that you felt this way about Tokyo Story yet disliked Au Hasard Balthazar. To me they have very similar approaches to obtaining our emotional investment.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

IDK I've really enjoyed Bicycle Thieves both times I've seen it but I'll agree with you about Au Hasard Balthazar. I couldn't even remember what happened in the movie as I was watching it.

e: The Goonies sucks.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Interesting that you felt this way about Tokyo Story yet disliked Au Hasard Balthazar. To me they have very similar approaches to obtaining our emotional investment.

All the spiritual stuff was totally lost on me.

Oh, also I loving loathed Life of Pi. I've never hated an ending more.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
I don't hate them, but The Big Lebowski and Fargo do absolutely nothing for me. I just don't get the appeal.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's your favorite, I can't even picture a good guess right now.

Out of his middle period? Dunno, I haven't seen any yet. Hence the need for a thread where I watch all of them. I'd put odds on The Happening, though, based on how much the brief clips I've seen of it have been extremely my poo poo

Out of all the ones I've seen? Unbreakable is a masterpiece

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I didn't like how I could feel Forrest Gump trying to emotionally manipulate me into liking the title character.

I can't stay awake when trying to watch Eraserhead because I find it boring. On a similar note, I also can't seem to stay awake when trying to watch any of the Harry Potter movies either. They just bore me to sleep.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Necromantik is a bad movie because it gave me a boner.

toosa
Apr 27, 2008
For me it's Donnie Darko. The actors and writing in general is mostly so horribly bad that it's just unwatchable to me.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Spatulater bro! posted:

The characters in Tokyo Story are discernibly human. The characters that populate Balthazar are more like automatons because of how Bresson directed his models such that the donkey ends being the most relatable character in the movie. Still love both films, though.

So to contribute to this thread, I don't like either of the Nosferatus and The Proposition.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

General Dog posted:

I got that, I just didn't particularly feel like he was alienated from his family or civilization. Everyone's excited to see him and treats him as a valued guest, he leads the search party, and people generally go along with what he says. He clearly has a place in his society. Emotionally he's distant, but I never saw that as racism specifically, just general crankiness as a part of his personality.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

Out of his middle period? Dunno, I haven't seen any yet. Hence the need for a thread where I watch all of them. I'd put odds on The Happening, though, based on how much the brief clips I've seen of it have been extremely my poo poo

Out of all the ones I've seen? Unbreakable is a masterpiece

Oh, I entirely misread you!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Soggy Cereal posted:

I got that, I just didn't particularly feel like he was alienated from his family or civilization. Everyone's excited to see him and treats him as a valued guest, he leads the search party, and people generally go along with what he says. He clearly has a place in his society. Emotionally he's distant, but I never saw that as racism specifically, just general crankiness as a part of his personality.

There's a lot of subtlety to his relationships that are easy to miss on first viewing. For instance, Ethan clearly was in love with his brother's wife and its obvious that they have some sort of history.

Within 5 minutes of him showing up his brother's asking him how long he's planning to stay, and he makes an offensive comment at the dinner table the first night.

He leads the search party, sure, but people realize that this is Ethan in his element, its what he's good for. When the situation is resolved, he turns around and walks away because he knows that there's no place for him there unless there are people who need saving or killing. Real life, the part that starts once there's nobody left to save or kill, has no place in it for someone like Ethan.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I thought of another one: Last Year at Marienbad did nothing for me. I don't think I've ever looked at my clock so many times during a movie.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Spatulater bro! posted:

I thought of another one: Last Year at Marienbad did nothing for me. I don't think I've ever looked at my clock so many times during a movie.

Admit it, you just couldn't figure out how that one guy kept winning the matchstick game and got frustrated

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

zenintrude posted:

Admit it, you just couldn't figure out how that one guy kept winning the matchstick game and got frustrated

I have a problem :(

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Searchers also has a perfect ending scene, managing to convey Ethan's distance to his family without a single line dialogue.

FeastForCows posted:

I don't hate them, but The Big Lebowski and Fargo do absolutely nothing for me. I just don't get the appeal.

The Big Lebowski has a very off-beat sense of humour, so I can understand why people would bounce off of it. There's not much to really "get" about Fargo, though. It's just an incredibly well-executed noir with a wonderful lead character.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Fargo's a goddamn perfect movie :colbert:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

OregonDonor posted:

Grand Budapest Hotel was Wes Anderson disappearing up his own rear end for two hours.

It's probably my favorite of his films after The Royal Tenenbaums.

Rushmore is probably my least favorite of his films, though.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've developed a semi-strong dislike for Wes Anderson. Back in the day I used to fawn over Royal Tenenbaums and Rushmore, but lately his style rubs me the wrong way. It's so brand-y, insincere and sterile. "This is what a Wes Anderson film looks like." It's like with Tim Burton. I really started feeling this way when I saw Moonrise Kingdom. Everyone praised it, but I found its forced quirkiness to be pretentious and bland. I haven't seen Grand Budapest Hotel.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wes Anderson's style like a really intense ethnic food, like gefilte fish or marmite. I can totally understand why it would be a major turn off for some people but I can't get enough.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I used to love the style. I think I'm just totally sick of it.

After seeing The Hateful Eight, I'm starting to feel this way about Tarantino a little bit too. Although his style is much less one-note than Anderson's. But Hateful Eight kinda felt like *generic Tarantino movie*. It was also tedious and awkwardly-paced. For the first time I felt his ego getting in the way of making a good movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Most auteurs like Tarantino and Anderson don't make a ton of films though, so its tough for me to say that I'm sick of their style. When they're making like one new film ever 3-5 years I just appreciate that I get to experience another one.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I actually like it when directors turn their style up to 11. With the exception of Tim Burton who seems to be trying this but it just makes him come off like some hack badly trying to parody Tim Burton.

FeastForCows posted:

The Big Lebowski is a film noir except instead of a hardboiled detective the main character is a constantly stoned slacker.

Fargo is a film noir but mostly set in a part of the country that those of sort of stories seldom touch. They also subvert the stereotype of the incompetent small town cop by having Marge be the smartest and most competent person in the entire film.

That's basically what the Coens do best. Make a extremely solid noir but put their own eccentric little spin on it somehow.

Also both films are very funny, well written, and feature some top notch cinematography.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'm a huge Wes Anderson fan, but Darjeeling Limited was a distillation of all of his worst tendencies.

The Dark Knight is one of the most aesthetically offensive and ideologically ugly films of the last decade, and is only saved from being the worst Batman movie by the fact that The Dark Knight Rises exists.

I understand why people might find Blade Runner affecting, but it left me completely cold. Same with The Godfather.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I hated Wedding Crashers main characters but Will Ferrel's character is hilarious.

I also don't get the love for Heat, except the cool shootout scene.

My family also watches poo poo like The Minions and Here Comes the Boom, etc, that just make me grimace if I try to join.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

I actually like it when directors turn their style up to 11. With the exception of Tim Burton who seems to be trying this but it just makes him come off like some hack badly trying to parody Tim Burton.

The Big Lebowski is a film noir except instead of a hardboiled detective the main character is a constantly stoned slacker.

Fargo is a film noir but mostly set in a part of the country that those of sort of stories seldom touch. They also subvert the stereotype of the incompetent small town cop by having Marge be the smartest and most competent person in the entire film.

That's basically what the Coens do best. Make a extremely solid noir but put their own eccentric little spin on it somehow.

Also both films are very funny, well written, and feature some top notch cinematography.

Blood Simple blew me away because I was honestly not expecting their first feature to be that amazing.

The shot that really sold it for me was when Julian is talking to Ray outside the bar with the bug zapper in the background. Dan Hedaya plays the scene with all this rage just barely kept from boiling over, then you see/hear a bug zap behind him.

I still have some of their films to catch (haven't seen Miller's Crossing, Inside Llewyn Davis, or Intolerable Cruelty yet), but I have yet to be disappointed. Even a weaker film like The Ladykillers is fun if just for the incredible photography and great cast.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Miller's Crossing is great but I can see why they took a break from writing it to write Barton Fink.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

I still have some of their films to catch (haven't seen Miller's Crossing, Inside Llewyn Davis, or Intolerable Cruelty yet), but I have yet to be disappointed. Even a weaker film like The Ladykillers is fun if just for the incredible photography and great cast.
The amazing thing about the Coen brothers is that they've never made a bad movie. Some of their movies are better than others and not everything they've done is a masterpiece but even at their worst they never fail to produce a decent and totally watchable movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I thought Hail Caesar was horribly boring, which is weird because I like that kind of pastiche but it really felt like a B script.

• Locked thread