Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That one guy with the white belts are for women and the trash can sign was actively bringing down my enjoyment with how goony he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I'm not sure how you salvage Bayley. So much of what makes her character work is the happy-go-lucky feelgood schtick they have very explicitly destroyed to the point of active crowd antipathy, and in terms of personality she's never shown versatility enough to really deviate from that.

Not to wish more severe injury on her by any means, but if she WAS going to be out for half a year or something that'd be enough time to get distance from how they've crushed her and let the audience accept the reset button. If she's back in a matter of weeks, they're not going to change anything up and no one's even going to have time to miss her.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Abroham Lincoln posted:

https://twitter.com/WWECesaro/status/894782931947749376

I'm sorry Foochs I cannot approve of the heinous villainous actions of your boy Dean Ambrose

rear end drat hell

Also wait a second I'm watching an old Nitro and Ahmed Johnson is wearing an honest to God pink set of sweats that say NO LIMITS on them. What in the sam hell or Sam Hill or whichever it is.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CarlCX posted:

I'm not sure how you salvage Bayley. So much of what makes her character work is the happy-go-lucky feelgood schtick they have very explicitly destroyed to the point of active crowd antipathy, and in terms of personality she's never shown versatility enough to really deviate from that.

Not to wish more severe injury on her by any means, but if she WAS going to be out for half a year or something that'd be enough time to get distance from how they've crushed her and let the audience accept the reset button. If she's back in a matter of weeks, they're not going to change anything up and no one's even going to have time to miss her.

Send her to Smackdown, put whoever's writing the Fashion Files stuff in charge of image rehab.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

Send her to Smackdown, put whoever's writing the Fashion Files stuff in charge of image rehab.

:agreed:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

CarlCX posted:

We used to joke, but now it may be her only chance.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Remember when the SHEETS were talking about how half the backstage people thought Bayley was going to be the next Cena and the other half thought she was one note with a limited shelf life and no real prospects once this current gimmick lost its luster

I think we're seeing the latter side being proven right. You can't turn her heel, she couldn't handle being booed for essentially the first time in her career tonight. The 'plucky underdog' thing doesn't work anymore either so barring some kind of world-shifting reboot or agreement to stay in NXT forever I think this week's show is the beginning of the end for Bayley in WWE.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

CubsWoo posted:

and the other half thought she was one note with a limited shelf life and no real prospects once this current gimmick lost its luster

I think we're seeing the latter side being proven right.

Yeah, it couldn't possibly be that they did every possible thing to destroy her.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CubsWoo posted:

Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway

Most self-fulfilling prophesies are proven right.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Sanguinia posted:

Yeah, it couldn't possibly be that they did every possible thing to destroy her.

Whether they have or not, she's been doing just fine destroying herself. You don't acknowledge the boos, but if you do, you do it in any other way but how she did it.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
I don't know about that Summerslam card looking great. Most of the matches look fine, but there's no match that stands out as having the potential to be great. Maybe AJ-KO, if they hadn't already done it, and it didn't have a special ref gimmick. Maaaybe the main event, but fatal fourways are rarely great.

As it stands, it looks like a card with a lot of three-star matches and Jinder Mahal in one of the main events.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's as if wrestlers have strengths and weaknesses and the job of a wrestling promotion is to properly book around them so as to present the best product possible.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 8, 2017

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

CubsWoo posted:

Whether they have or not, she's been doing just fine destroying herself. You don't acknowledge the boos, but if you do, you do it in any other way but how she did it.

I just don't want to hear about how Baylee's detractors were so prescient about her failure when they themselves engineered it and she had no power to prevent it because they were the ones dictating her every on-camera action. The fact that she's cracking after being hit a million times with a hammer is not a feather in the cap of those who started swinging it at the priceless marble statue because reasons.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think that Bayley is cool and I think that people who boo wrestlers for having major injuries that drop them out of huge events are not cool.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's as if wrestlers have strengths and weaknesses and the job of a wrestling promotion is to properly book around them so as to present the best product possible.

uhhh no, a wrestling promotion is supposed to show contempt for its audience and then hemorrhage their viewing audience and then blame their audience for their dwindling numbers and then hemorrhage more viewers and

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Bayley was right to tell them not to boo. She should have further threatened to up and leave if they didn't knock it off. That she would never come back to this dump.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Just finished Raw, and oof.

Oof.

Jason Jordan and Bayley just starting to circle the drain.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Bayley was right to tell them not to boo. She should have further threatened to up and leave if they didn't knock it off. That she would never come back to this dump.

Yeah, and also their town's baseball team SUCKS!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Jason Jordan's theme sounds like someone got drunk and fell asleep on a MIDI keyboard.

This fuckin' company. Good lord.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Can someone explain to me A) why Jason Jordan is getting a singles push, and B) why he, as a babyface, was booked against a Canadian jobber in Canada?

I mean, other than 'tall' and 'WWE is full of idiots'.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
He's only being pushed because he's Angle's son, the nepotism is sickening.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Here's the thing about the Bayley/Cena comparisons people made, and it's a thing Meltzer used to hammer home for months way before she even got called up: you have to make her look cool to kids for that to work.

Cena's inherent appeal to kids is that he came off as the Cool Big Brother who stood up to the mean jerks. That made both him and the company a lot of money and it's a timeless formula. Bayley's inherent appeal, at least in her peak NXT days, was coming off as the Cool Big Sister who stood up to the mean jerks. In theory, that formula should've translated seamlessly to the main roster and also made a lot of money, in addition to tapping into a young girls demo that WWE never seriously pursued before. They clearly had big plans for this and rolled out carts of merch (remember the Bayley Bears?) in anticipation of her catching on.

What kid could watch the past 6 months of Bayley and think "man, I wish I was as cool and tough as Bayley?" We all make fun of LOLCENAWINS but at least he loving wins and looks cool. And that's where they failed with Bayley.

Instead of doing ... anything that made Bayley seem "cool," they stuck her into the same tired Daniel Bryan Booking that has never, ever worked for anyone not named Daniel Bryan. Instead of making her a Cool Big Sister, they made her an ineffectual dork and weirdly unlikable, throwing away her first title win on blatant cheating (while also killing Charlotte's streak, which you'll notice Charlotte still hasn't recovered from) that the character is totally cool with for some reason.

Then they watered down her WrestleMania Moment with a decent-but-nothing-special four-way match, then the Alexa feud destroyed any credibility she had left. They tried to save face with a half-baked "redemption arc" by giving her the title shot at SummerSlam, but it was too little, too late. If anything, the injury is a blessing in disguise, assuming it gets Bayley off TV for a while and leads to that Sasha/Alexa match that's way hotter on paper. Last night's booing was just the cherry on top of a poo poo sundae, and you can't blame it all on smarky Toronto crowds.

TL;DR: WWE hosed up a winning formula because they forgot how to write babyfaces, what else is new.

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 8, 2017

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

For ages goons compared Bayley to John Cena.

WWE is merely booking Bayley the way goons would have booked the best babyface of the last ~15 years.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

rare Magic card l00k posted:

For ages goons compared Bayley to John Cena.

WWE is merely booking Bayley the way goons would have booked the best babyface of the last ~15 years.

Kind of off-topic, but now that smarks have finally embraced Cena, what would you people say are his best matches from the supposed "dark ages?" Let's set MITB '11 as the dividing line, since that seems to be the first time the Internet was like "wow Cena's actually really good," and go back earlier than that.

I have to recommend his I Quit match with JBL. This feels like a forgotten gem since WWE banned blading right around the time Cena became The Guy and he rarely got the chance to bleed, but god drat he made the most of it here. Ric Flair would've been proud of the crimson mask Cena wore during that match (which is great even without the blood, just a crazy-rear end brawl that put over both guys well, and probably JBL's best match as well).

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
So does the winner of Cass/Show get custody of Enzo or what's the deal here?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

DukeofCA posted:

So does the winner of Cass/Show get custody of Enzo or what's the deal here?

Enzo will probably get fired between now and New Years Eve.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Benne posted:

Kind of off-topic, but now that smarks have finally embraced Cena, what would you people say are his best matches from the supposed "dark ages?" Let's set MITB '11 as the dividing line, since that seems to be the first time the Internet was like "wow Cena's actually really good," and go back earlier than that.

I have to recommend his I Quit match with JBL. This feels like a forgotten gem since WWE banned blading right around the time Cena became The Guy and he rarely got the chance to bleed, but god drat he made the most of it here. Ric Flair would've been proud of the crimson mask Cena wore during that match (which is great even without the blood, just a crazy-rear end brawl that put over both guys well, and probably JBL's best match as well).

Cena vs. Umaga at the '07 Royal Rumble is still one of my all time favorite Cena matches. .

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bayley loving sucks, push evil emma instead

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

bartok posted:

Cena vs. Umaga at the '07 Royal Rumble is still one of my all time favorite Cena matches. .

Cena vs. Edge TLC is a great match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bartok posted:

This match is exceptionally good, absolutely agree. The ending is superb.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bartok posted:

Its this!

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
I'm not used to Raw having long TV matches so Dean vs. Cesaro was very jarring.

Good match though, love those guys.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bayley's not a babyface she looks at least her age if not a bit older.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
cena winning all the time was only a small part of why people hated cena for so long

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Why is this going to be the 3rd shark cage match I've seen in under a year?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

This is the only shark cage match I can think of where its the babyface in the cage.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Bayley's promo was real sad, Seth refusing the fist bump was dumb as hell and will cheapen when it happens for real, Sasha/Emma/Alicia was hot loving garbage, I didn't watch the main event but it sounds good.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

DoctorGonzo posted:

bayley loving sucks, push evil emma instead

I know like 500 tag teams have broken up over the last year but I think the saddest one was emma and dana. I wish there was a tv show thats just 20 episodes of them failing to take down Asuka.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Serious post: i dont know who said it but they are not protecting Bayley at all and that exposes her. Bayley is a really limited performer who will not survive bad booking. Also this lovable geek gimmick has never worked and never will. They tried it with Bryan but the guy had an edge about him that Sami and Bayley doesnt have. Its really sad and its one of the reasons that i hope they dont turn Alexa face. I think Alexa is a great performer and could make a Lindsay Lohan in Mean Girls kind of face but they will probably gently caress that up.

In conclusion

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
You know, at least Seth/Dean's whole * "will they wont they" let's switch who is mad at who "BUT YOU HURT ME IN THE PAST" * storyline would get my sister to watch wrestling. So many shows she likes has a dude and a chick going through that storyline. Seth turning down the fist bump felt so... "Wow we're on season 4 and these two still haven't banged yet". Ah well, WWE IS technically a TV show, I just hope those two make up before the prom episode where one of them ends up in a car accident.

• Locked thread