Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patware
Jan 3, 2005

nope

the closest you can come to screwing yourself over used to be blowing magicite and tickets on non-event draws but there's so much more magicite now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah don't draw now, ff13 starts tomorrow night 11pm est

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Cool. In that case I'm gonna let the game beat all this early story junk for me while I watch/read other stuff and try to amass more resources before this FF13 content kicks in.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I'm gonna let the game beat all this junk for me while I watch/read other stuff and try to amass more resources

Mobius.txt

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Cool. In that case I'm gonna let the game beat all this early story junk for me while I watch/read other stuff and try to amass more resources before this FF13 content kicks in.

I keep forgetting I can do this.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Oooo, pretty rainbow lasers. Got the Lightning ultimate hero! Fun.

Got it in my third draw, and it makes up for my second one. Got gold lasers and was excited for a potential legend job. Ended up being Ranger. As in the first Ranger job ever.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

I would love to see the odds on getting Lightning Hero, I imagine it's as bad if not worse than Aeris et all.

I also wonder how close the Meia update is. Presumably her job cards are pretty significant and might be a better thing to chase for people with bad luck like me. Information on this game is very weird in that even mobile games like Exvius seem to have better documentation.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Rumor has it odds of getting Lightning skin are 2% per GAS, or that might be just on this boosted version. It's also same slot as supreme cards, so pulling a skin means no supreme card that time. Not sure if that means it'll always be in place of one, though. I still don't have any supremes, but I have a few legend jobs and now an ultimate hero.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I was fortunate enough to get both the Hope job and the Snow job in 4 boosted pulls so I don't know if I should spend any more resources or just wait for the next banner.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Wait, unless you have some dire need for the other two box set cards

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I did seven pulls and all I got was Highwind

Seven because I can’t count, duplicate box set card feels great

Speaking of which, are any of these box set cards worth augmenting, I’m not sure I feel like hoarding the upgrade mats until I get the pneuma and all that

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 7, 2017

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Celery Jello posted:

I did seven pulls and all I got was Highwind

Seven because I can’t count, duplicate box set card feels great

Speaking of which, are any of these box set cards worth augmenting, I’m not sure I feel like hoarding the upgrade mats until I get the pneuma and all that

Snow and Sarah are the big wins, there's some discussion about Hope. Highwind is loving awesome though, get Legendary Dragonlord on him ASAP and spam that ult. I can't wait to unlock Ultimate +1 on his second weapon.

Just watch out, he's the epitome of a glass cannon. The ult gives you Faith and Snipe, the target defense down and you have NO clutch abilities. And your HP is really low. I actually put a bunch of +HP and +Attack custom skills on mine.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I've got Snow, Hope, and one of the 4* unaugentable cards so far from the boxset pulls. I got the legendary hero card, but neither of the legend jobs, so I'm considering continuing to draw on this set at least until I get Serah.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Thanks for the advice, I’ll try to hold onto those.

I’m slowly remembering my frustration with this game the last time, that it’s really weird and opaque to figure out what a “good” card is. And then once you’ve decided, it’s hard without outside guides (which are all universally terrible, why) to track down the upgrade mats.

Difference being now I’m more willing to just take the “upgrade thing I like, best card be damned” approach. I can still do a lot of the game that way, it seems.

Means I probably can’t ever touch MP, but that’s okay.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
This game is confusing.

I started a new account (I played for a bit back in the day), bought the starter packs and the mobius gift box, decided to clean up the events before main story. Should I be doing GAS right now? I don't see an event banner so I'm a bit lost. How do I get MP cards? I did some solo fights against Ifrit 1* and 2*, they went okay, but I'm not sure if I'm just supposed to farm poo poo from those until I can buy the Sicarius cards.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Dias posted:

This game is confusing.

I started a new account (I played for a bit back in the day), bought the starter packs and the mobius gift box, decided to clean up the events before main story. Should I be doing GAS right now? I don't see an event banner so I'm a bit lost. How do I get MP cards? I did some solo fights against Ifrit 1* and 2*, they went okay, but I'm not sure if I'm just supposed to farm poo poo from those until I can buy the Sicarius cards.

Go ahead and do the boosted GAS a few times if you want. As for MP, you farm those events until you can buy the cards. They're actually quite good for filling in gaps.

Oh and outside of fodder/materials, don't be afraid to sell a card - you can always buy it back at the highest rarity you got it at for a few ability tickets.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Solkanar512 posted:

Go ahead and do the boosted GAS a few times if you want. As for MP, you farm those events until you can buy the cards. They're actually quite good for filling in gaps.

Oh and outside of fodder/materials, don't be afraid to sell a card - you can always buy it back at the highest rarity you got it at for a few ability tickets.

...I did that. I kinda got the Lightning job. Huh.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

a pull last night got me a Gadot card

I did three pulls today and got Hope card, snow card, serah card

No jobs though. *sigh*

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Dias posted:

...I did that. I kinda got the Lightning job. Huh.

You're welcome. :D

How is it?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The Lightning Ultimate Hero is pretty nice. It's a straight upgrade in the majority of cases. The only time it won't be is if you want to use a job's original ultimate, like in multiplayer where some ultimates have good group effects, or if you really like the effects given by that ultimate over Lightning's. For damage and breaking, it's pretty much always an upgrade. How good it performs will depend on what ranger jobs you already have, though. I can confirm that it works well with Dancer.

That said, it does make this event kinda weird. I'm just at the beginning of it, but Lightning and Wol will talk about Lightning being unable to fight, she thanks him for guarding her, then she ends up fighting the enemy anyways (Wol's appearance in cutscenes is based on the sub job if Lightning is set as the main).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HPanda posted:

The Lightning Ultimate Hero is pretty nice. It's a straight upgrade in the majority of cases. The only time it won't be is if you want to use a job's original ultimate, like in multiplayer where some ultimates have good group effects, or if you really like the effects given by that ultimate over Lightning's. For damage and breaking, it's pretty much always an upgrade. How good it performs will depend on what ranger jobs you already have, though. I can confirm that it works well with Dancer.

That said, it does make this event kinda weird. I'm just at the beginning of it, but Lightning and Wol will talk about Lightning being unable to fight, she thanks him for guarding her, then she ends up fighting the enemy anyways (Wol's appearance in cutscenes is based on the sub job if Lightning is set as the main).

Yeah, I'm using the starter pack Dancer class with her and it seems like a straight upgrade. I guess it's more of a skin than a job, from what I understand there are special jobs in the gacha too. I did another three pulls, got the Snow card and the Serah card from the collab draws and nothing else, really. I'unno if there's anything else that looks good there, so I might be done drawing. I like generous gacha BS but it does leave me at a loss when it comes to progression, I have a bunch of 4* cards and 8* jobs so I guess do MP and clean up story/events?

EDIT: also there's the moogles and stupid alien fucks from the Anniversary event which seem to have good support skills, should I grind those?

EDIT 2: ooh, ooh, I have another question. If I grind up their ability levels do they keep it when/if I can evolve them? This game seems a bit bad when it comes to documentation and reddit/wikia doesn't help AT ALL.

Dias fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 7, 2017

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Dias posted:

Yeah, I'm using the starter pack Dancer class with her and it seems like a straight upgrade. I guess it's more of a skin than a job, from what I understand there are special jobs in the gacha too. I did another three pulls, got the Snow card and the Serah card from the collab draws and nothing else, really. I'unno if there's anything else that looks good there, so I might be done drawing. I like generous gacha BS but it does leave me at a loss when it comes to progression, I have a bunch of 4* cards and 8* jobs so I guess do MP and clean up story/events?

EDIT: also there's the moogles and stupid alien fucks from the Anniversary event which seem to have good support skills, should I grind those?

EDIT 2: ooh, ooh, I have another question. If I grind up their ability levels do they keep it when/if I can evolve them? This game seems a bit bad when it comes to documentation and reddit/wikia doesn't help AT ALL.

It seems like you got all the good poo poo so I'd save your tickets for something else.

What ranger cards do you have outside of the standard single/cone/AoE attacks? Think about adding AoE BDD (Break Defense down) or CRD (Critical Resist down), those will speed things up considerably. They're currently off color for your Dancer but Iris and Legendary Killing Machine are awesome. Did you by chance grab The Friend last month, because that card is the poo poo for Rangers. For your Dancer I would personally be running The Friend, Prompto, Deathgaze and Bastet/Legendary Dragonlord, but replace with cards that you have available to cover all your colors.

As far as Moogles are concerned, yeah, go and grind up one of each, they tend to be useful. Don't forget to stick them in the Auto-Enhance to save you time.

And yes, when you augment a card up a rarity level, it keeps the level of it's skill.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
The starter gatcha comes with Tempest (water aoe crd) that dancer can use, which is a good starting point. If you pulled Garuda Interceptor or Fal'Cie Atomos off the gatcha, then you can make a solid deck with:

Garuda/Atomos (Single target damage)
Tempest (AoE yellow bar damage, crit resist down.)
Serah (2x tap/ultimate damage, 1.5x card damage, charge ultimate bar)

Some fourth card - I'd normally suggest Hermes or Undying, but I know Lighting has Haste Starter. Not sure what the mechanics are of that, but it's usually 50% chance for 1 turn of haste. I'd assume hers is 100%? In that case, I'd probably run Legendary Dragonlord for more actions and more ultimate charge, but Hermes/Undying wouldn't be a terrible choice if you're not killing things in 2 turns.

Dias posted:

The Dark Moogles are very good debuffs but are mostly obsoleted by gatcha cards. That said, upgrading the gatcha versions probably isn't most peoples' priorities. Two of the material drops will upgrade them to 4* Dread Moogles. If you level two 3* versions of the same moogle to level 4, upgrade them both, and smoosh them together on mobius day, you'll have a 100% chance for a maxed 4*. (90% otherwise.)

Unfortunately, even if you upgrade one to 4*, the drops will still be 3*.

I'll make a mini effortpost on leveling up cards with fodder, since it's a bit overwhelming at first.

Solkanar512 posted:

It seems like you got all the good poo poo so I'd save your tickets for something else.
Agreed. Hope's card is good, but Serah and Snow are the two real big prizes.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Drew Black Mage this morning. Happy for that 2nd weapon and another mage job I can utilize.

I'd loooooooooooove to draw a monk job now. I've got a bunch of Monk cards sitting in the wings ready to go

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Langolas posted:

Drew Black Mage this morning. Happy for that 2nd weapon and another mage job I can utilize.

I'd loooooooooooove to draw a monk job now. I've got a bunch of Monk cards sitting in the wings ready to go

Get some water cards for that bad boy!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

pulled again, more dupes and got tactician job on my 5th pull, which was technically also my pity pull. RIP

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
After 2 hours of AFK farming the FF13 content, the game kicked me out: http://steamcommunity.com/id/andrigaar/screenshot/847096466142746161

I just relaunched it, but it's funny to me since it sits minimized and forgotten for hours at a time.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Square just released a trailer for their new game, FF Explorers Force. Looks interesting, supposedly like Monster Hunter.

https://youtu.be/AvENSxgCuJc

I might check it out, Mobius is getting a little stale as a day 1 player. I don't have the time anymore to farm incessantly which is just something that happens when you start your own family. Other than towers once monthly there's nothing in Mobius that's truly challenging and unfortunately getting to the point that towers are challenging requires a huge time investment. My wife and I have played Puzzle and Dragons for almost 5 years now and I still haven't found another game that manages to hit the sweet spot of challenge and casual friendly gaming like it does.

Mobius is lacking PAD's ultimate arena, an always available high stamina dungeon with a huge selection of enemies that appear randomly and really push the limits of your team. The risk is high and it's hard, but the rewards are equivalent to a Pneuma, guaranteed fractal, 200 magicite, and a boatload of exp/gil. I can run it on the train to work and feel like I've accomplished something in a short time. I wish there were something like this in Mobius. I just finished a week of Bahamut where I put in the same inputs almost every match.

I'll probably stick it out until next week's summon, but I don't see much more Mobius for me.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

A Small Curse anniversary card is wtf

600k at times on occultist on ff13 zone is hilarious

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's BONKERS

EDIT: Final Fantasy Explorers wasn't great the first time around

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

GreenBuckanneer posted:

A Small Curse anniversary card is wtf

600k at times on occultist on ff13 zone is hilarious

It's really an amazing card for one on one battles as well. I put it on my Highwind for Pneuma farming and the like.

In other news, in four pulls I got Snow (ability), Hope (ability) and Hope (job). It's really weird having a mage that can break things.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I would like to reiterate that the Hope job is completely bonkers batshit, it has roughly equal magic to my Occultist and double the break power

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I would like to reiterate that the Hope job is completely bonkers batshit, it has roughly equal magic to my Occultist and double the break power

Yet it's a loving support role in MP. >.<

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Did another pull, got pugilist.

Are monks really good or something?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Did another pull, got pugilist.

Are monks really good or something?

They aren't bad, but they're really weird. Lots of damage from basic attacks, multiple hits and so on. If you happen to pull Duncan you can solo 4* MP.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Solkanar512 posted:

Yet it's a loving support role in MP. >.<
If the preliminary tests I did in MP today are any indication, this doesn't matter and Hope job equipped with the Hope card can embarrass Bahamut just as well as someone with the little sword icon next to their picture. His ult gives him mage trance, too.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
So it seemed like leveling up cards and abilities was slightly confusing for new players. I don't blame them; it took me a while to grok all the little parts of a card. So I figured I'd throw together an effortpost on all the different levels a mobius card can have and how to upgrade them.

(This is the effortpost.)

Upgrading Cards
When trying to make your big numbers get bigger, you’ll want to consider upgrading the ability levels of your card. This is one of the bigger piles of mechanics in Mobius, but it’s not bad at all once you’ve seen how everything links together.

When you pull a new ability card, it’s usually going to be either level 1 or maxed out.

Card Levels
As you might have noticed, the total level of the cards in your deck is your overall level. Swap out maxed cards for level 1s, and you’ll be right back in new player world, dying to the first boss. Handling card level is easy: win fights or feed the card metal cactaurs.

Skillseed Levels
Skillseeds are a postbattle reward used to upgrade your jobs and weapons. You can increase the number of skillseeds a card provides after battle by fusing other cards of the same element to it. Look for the blue hexagon when fusing.

Star Levels
Cards come from 1 to 5 stars, which determines the card’s potential. Gacha cards start at 3*. Getting a card from 4* to 5* will open the door for more upgrades, but otherwise doesn’t change much. You need to clear Chapter 3 Part 2 to be able to upgrade a card to 5 stars.

The most noticeable difference is that on some augmentations (but not all) the card’s orb cost will decrease.

For non-event monster drops, the card’s ability will change when it hits 3* so that it matches a gacha card. Once you’ve upgraded a dropped card’s star level to 2 or 3 stars, it’ll continue to drop at that level. Most drops can be augmented to a max of 3*, but a few cap at 2* or 4*. If you upgrade a dropped card to 4*, future drops will still be 3*.

Ability Levels
The higher the card’s ability level, the more damage that card does and the more bonuses it provides you.

The higher the star level, the higher the ability level cap.

To raise ability levels, you find other cards with the the same ability name and fuse them to your main card. The higher the ability level difference between the main card and the “fusion fodder”, the less likely it is the fusion will succeed.

The chances start out pretty reasonable, but fusing a level 1 card into a level 8 is pretty bad. And since you only have 5 slots, the last levels get out of hand pretty quickly.

Almost every monster drop has the same ability as an existing gacha card. These monster drops are “fodder cards” for leveling up the gacha card’s abilities. Event cards like Jesse generally have fodder in the corresponding event. New gacha cards like the Garuda Interceptor we keep seeing generally won’t have fodder, but they temporarily get fodder scrolls available as multiplayer rewards, usually starting at higher ability levels. Unfortunately, even the level 3 scrolls I got from MP are not much help for my level 8 card.

So what do you do? The safest option is to fuse the fodder with itself, raising the ability level.

This newly combined card will then have a higher success rate in fusion.

Eight more fodder cards should hopefully give me four more of these 21%-ers, for a guaranteed fusion. Or I could wait it for Mobius Day, where the 1.2x fusion rate means I’ll only need 6 more.

Jeez, that seems like a huge pain and a lot of time, do I have to do that?
Hit the ticket button in the top-right corner of the fusion screen to pay ability tickets instead. It gets expensive quickly, so I prefer to save that option for the cards that don't have fodder.

Ugh, how do I figure out these fusion rates?!
Use the fusion rate calculator! https://zidane.xyz

Extra Skills
Extra skills are the tiny little squares under the ability. They are more important than their size implies. Some of them are incredibly important, like 9999+, which lets the card’s damage cap at 999,999 damage instead of 9,999, and guard breaker, which lets a card damage the yellow break bar even if it’s resisted. More extra skills are available as the ability level of the card increases. Once a skill becomes available, it must be unlocked by using the card in fights. Higher level skills take more fights. Improved Extra Skill Unlock passives speed the process up, as does Mobius Day.

Press on extra skills for details. You can see skills in all three states below:

You can also fuse a lightbulb card (Extranger) to instantly unlock the available next Extra Skill on a card. I recommend saving these for cards whose final skills you really want, like AoE Break/Crit down cards, which don't get 9999+ until their very last skill. In either case, grinding uses or fusing lightbulbs, you are still limited by ability level; Siren up there can only get one more extra skill without more upgrading.

Auto-Abilities (Fractals)
If you scroll to the right side of the card, you'll see some passive "Auto-Abilites" that the card provides. Some are fixed, appear automatically, and generally match the card in some way. These increase in number and power with star level.

Other auto-abilities are locked until you fuse a fractal with the card. This rolls a random auto-ability for you based on the color of the fractal.

If you don't like it you can fuse another fractal in.

And another, and another, but that'll do for now, I suppose. I could go into details about fractalchat, but this post is getting long as it is.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 17, 2017

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

I don't think you mentioned it, but for Extrangers to work, you need to have unlocked the appropriate ability level for the extra effect.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Alpine Mustache posted:

I don't think you mentioned it, but for Extrangers to work, you need to have unlocked the appropriate ability level for the extra effect.

Thanks! In my head it followed from the section above, but I added a bit of clarification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Is this game worth playing if you like final fantasy related stuff, or is this the bad mobile FF?

• Locked thread