Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

What if I like capitalism because its the best way to generate tax money to fund a strong social safety net, assuming we actually loving taxed the people making all the loving money.

Then you're an idiot, partly because you believe that having a class of parasites who skim most of the wealth off the top somehow increases prosperity despite this making absolutely zero sense and more importantly because capitalism makes that second part impossible in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
No see, it makes perfect sense to adhere to an economic system which concentrates power in the hands of a tiny fraction of the population, and requires both unpaid and underpaid labor in order to even function (in contradiction to itself), because you can balance it with a political system where everyone is nominally equal. What could possibly go wrong?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So the drawing of lots to determine the control of the VA House of Delegates is today at 11.

Who's going to watch the live stream with me?

I have hope in my heart.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

aparmenideanmonad posted:

IN dem primary stuff:

I haven't seen any legit competitors for Donnelly in the primary, and I guess he's pretty alright for an IN dem, but how serious is his race?

If it makes you feel any better, the gop primary there is turning into a slugfest as the two candidates are claimed to have a personal rivalry almost 3 decades running, starting off the campaigns by attacking the other's wife. Fun stuff.

To more seriously answer your question, no one knows, but I personally try to follow the perspective of this older 538 article. Basically, incubments are expected to have a huge advantage, even for senators of the opposing party of the president, but no other cases are there for states with as wide presidential leans as the ones up now. I'd like to think we have a good chance at keeping Donnelly, but it's going to be very very tough if the republicans in this state are very motivated to stand by Trump.

I'm also trying to get involved in helping out the local democrat parties this year, though I'm in IN-9. Hope you'll do well up north!

axeil posted:

So the drawing of lots to determine the control of the VA House of Delegates is today at 11.

Who's going to watch the live stream with me?

I have hope in my heart.

Whats a link to the live stream + when is the flip?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
It'd be great to keep the "destroy capitalism???" argument below a dull roar, just pre-emptively.

The rest of us will be glued to some dumb photo canisters.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 4, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Livestream has started.

:ohdear:

bowl spotted.

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 4, 2018

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

axeil posted:

Livestream has started.

:ohdear:

Bowl of reckoning spotted.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
No sound on the stream right now so that's fun.

edit: the camera guy is also zooming in on random stuff, this is really hilarious/fun

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 4, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Audio has started/stream has started.

:laffo: they're joking about the attendance and want people to come to more state board of elections meetings haha

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
11,607 to 11,607.

Always vote folks.

~*THE NAMES*~

:laffo: they used to use a cardboard box to do drawings for ballot order. They are now discussing the bowl they're using because it's a piece of fine art from VA.

edit2: "clay vessels, like boats carry cargo"

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 4, 2018

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Talkin about bowls rather than doing the drat drawing.

E: gently caress

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 4, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
:siren: the cannisters are brand new and ordered from amazon :siren:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
the Republicans win :smith:

Welp, guess we gotta get out there and beat them in 2019 now!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
thus continuing virginia's hell, David Yancy wins

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Republicans are still turbo hosed overall they took a huge blow

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Spiffster posted:

Republicans are still turbo hosed overall they took a huge blow

Going from a 66-34 super majority to a 1-vote majority in a gerrymandered state is a huge electoral defeat and I'd assume the Dems are odds-on favorites to take both chambers in 2019.

Plus the Dems still control the Governor's mansion.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

axeil posted:

Going from a 66-34 super majority to a 1-vote majority in a gerrymandered state is a huge electoral defeat and I'd assume the Dems are odds-on favorites to take both chambers in 2019.

Unless I'm mistaken it's technically 50-49 because they're still trying to figure out what the gently caress to do with that one race where the ballots were wrong (the Democratic candidate lost that but by less than the margin of wrongly printed ballots, right?)

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Party Plane Jones posted:

Unless I'm mistaken it's technically 50-49 because they're still trying to figure out what the gently caress to do with that one race where the ballots were wrong (the Democratic candidate lost that but by less than the margin of wrongly printed ballots, right?)

Nah, the guy in Fredericksburg still got certified, but there's a strong chance his win gets tossed in a court hearing before the GA sits. At present it stands at 51-49.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

Virginia is still my optimistic point and now that we know it can be done hopefully we can adapt this model and take it nation wide. Knock those doors, call them phones, be mobile and poo poo can get done! Thank you goons for helping out!

Party Plane Jones posted:

This is also correct, this going to be sucky for everyone involved and lawsuits aplenty.

On my end in Indiana, I’m making final plans with the democratic strategist I’ve been talking to right now and plan on filing for the ballot on Monday. :woop:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
In other VA news, the former Speaker of the VA House of Delegates almost died of a heart attack last night.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.1294ae583de9

quote:

Outgoing Virginia House speaker undergoes emergency heart surgery

RICHMOND — William J. Howell, the outgoing speaker of Virginia’s House of Delegates, underwent emergency heart surgery Tuesday night at Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg.

“The surgeons report the procedure went well, but the speaker will be in the intensive care unit for a few days,” spokesman Matthew Moran said. “The family is asking for prayers for a quick and strong recovery, as well as privacy so the speaker can continue to rest.”

Howell, 74, a pragmatic Republican, presided over Virginia’s fractious House of Delegates for 15 sessions before announcing in February that he would not seek reelection.

Spiffster posted:

Virginia is still my optimistic point and now that we know it can be done hopefully we can adapt this model and take it nation wide. Knock those doors, call them phones, be mobile and poo poo can get done! Thank you goons for helping out!

This is also correct, this going to be sucky for everyone involved and lawsuits aplenty.

On my end in Indiana, I’m making final plans with the democratic strategist I’ve been talking to right now and plan on filing for the ballot on Monday. :woop:

That's awesome! What are you running for?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

axeil posted:

In other VA news, the former Speaker of the VA House of Delegates almost died of a heart attack last night.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.1294ae583de9

Wonder how many Virginians died of preventable causes due to the GOP's refusal to expand Medicaid, spearheaded by this guy

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/srl/status/948950644844580864

I want off Virginia's wild ride

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Someone threw cold water on that in the Trump thread. You can ask for a recount if a) the margin is extremely close or b) the vote is tied and you lose the drawing of lots.

Since a) already happened I don't believe you can get a recount under b).

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

Someone threw cold water on that in the Trump thread. You can ask for a recount if a) the margin is extremely close or b) the vote is tied and you lose the drawing of lots.

Since a) already happened I don't believe you can get a recount under b).

That doesn't make any sense, if the vote is tied, the margin is by necessity going to be extremely close.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

That doesn't make any sense, if the vote is tied, the margin is by necessity going to be extremely close.

The reason is that only the loser can ask for a recount. b) is just covering the corner case where the initial count is an exact tie, saying to wait for the coinflip so there is a loser so they can then ask for one.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title24.2/chapter8/section24.2-802/

VA Code posted:

H. The recount proceeding shall be final and not subject to appeal.

Seems to imply you only get one, but IANAL or an expert in VA election law, so I could be wrong.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, ok, I get it now, I thought axeil meant that you could only demand a recount in the case of a close margin but not on a tie vote. Sorry about that.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Yeah, ok, I get it now, I thought axeil meant that you could only demand a recount in the case of a close margin but not on a tie vote. Sorry about that.

It's cool! No worries. :)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

If the vote is tied initially nobody actually has standing to ask for a recount until the lots are drawn (because only the loser can ask for one and there's no loser, yet), hence the law saying that you get a recount after the lots are drawn. However it's always possible a virginia court would consider it poorly written and allow a second recount anyway.

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Spiffster posted:

I still have some connections in naptown. Let me know if you need volunteers. I don't think I can mobilize more than that but a bunch of angry queens, angry drunks and angry nurses tend to get out for good people.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So did a court shoot down the Democrats' appeal that it was too late for the Republicans to challenge the last ballot? Or is that avenue still open?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VikingofRock posted:

So did a court shoot down the Democrats' appeal that it was too late for the Republicans to challenge the last ballot? Or is that avenue still open?

Yes, the court ruled yesterday that the motion to throw out the ballot was a bunch of baloney, which is why they did the drawing today.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

Yes, the court ruled yesterday that the motion to throw out the ballot was a bunch of baloney, which is why they did the drawing today.

Got a link for this? I'd like to read it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Got a link for this? I'd like to read it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...4b6a2&tid=a_inl

Additionally the hearing for the last remaining messed-up race is on Friday in Alexandria, VA.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

That's awesome! What are you running for?

It depends on what my wife (another goon) is running for and we are working out who would be better suited for what. One of us is running for a township advisory board position (think legislature but on the lowest rung) and the other is running for a delegate spot for the Indiana Democratic convention to shape the platform as well as precinct chair for the democrats. One is more party geared the other actually helps shape things in the township.

It’s important on the advisory board because an abortion clinic just opened up in our township after the last one was closed down by lovely means. Something positive is very passionate about that but she works two freaking jobs and might get overwhelmed but she’s the best person to fight for that. On the other end and somewhat related Our house rep Walorski is trying to do whatever it takes to get their medical license revoked, and as infuriating as She is the other spot as chair would help drive voter turnout for the district and help shape the platform to try to kick her the hell out

Gonna be a long year for us

Edit:

CassandraSupreme posted:

I still have some connections in naptown. Let me know if you need volunteers. I don't think I can mobilize more than that but a bunch of angry queens, angry drunks and angry nurses tend to get out for good people.

Oh they are the BEST people :patriot:

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 5, 2018

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Spiffster posted:

It depends on what my wife (another goon) is running for and we are working out who would be better suited for what. One of us is running for a township advisory board position (think legislature but on the lowest rung) and the other is running for a delegate spot for the Indiana Democratic convention to shape the platform as well as precinct chair for the democrats. One is more party geared the other actually helps shape things in the township.

It’s important on the advisory board because an abortion clinic just opened up in our township after the last one was closed down by lovely means. Something positive is very passionate about that but she works two freaking jobs and might get overwhelmed but she’s the best person to fight for that. On the other end and somewhat related Our house rep Walorski is trying to do whatever it takes to get their medical license revoked, and as infuriating as She is the other spot as chair would help drive voter turnout for the district and help shape the platform to try to kick her the hell out

Gonna be a long year for us

Edit:

Awesome to hear this, IN goons taking over this thread now. I'm in Harris township and I'm guessing you're in Portage if you're in the same area as the new clinic (it's this one right)? Good luck on figuring out how to divide things up between you and your wife - are your friends making lots of House of Cards jokes to you yet? And any thoughts on Walorski's eventual opponent from the dem primary? I like Hackett, an opinion largely formed from her qualifications and the comprehensive list of positions on issues on her website, but I don't know much about the other two guys apart from their backgrounds.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Awesome to hear this, IN goons taking over this thread now. I'm in Harris township and I'm guessing you're in Portage if you're in the same area as the new clinic (it's this one right)? Good luck on figuring out how to divide things up between you and your wife - are your friends making lots of House of Cards jokes to you yet? And any thoughts on Walorski's eventual opponent from the dem primary? I like Hackett, an opinion largely formed from her qualifications and the comprehensive list of positions on issues on her website, but I don't know much about the other two guys apart from their backgrounds.

Sup Fellow St. Joe Goon :hfive: I'm in German Township actually.

Yes that is what I was talking about. Lincolnway Divides Portage and German if the map I was looking at was correct and I'm pretty sure that anything on the north side of that line is in Germans Jurisdiction. I could be mistaken however. Gonna need to look into that now.

And yes, Pat Hackett has my support as of now to unseat Walorski (Still very early and bound to have more people join the fray). Some of the others I've seen throwing their hats in have been very... Ugh... Disappointing is the word that comes to mind.

Edit : double checked a township map and it depends actually how far west it is if it falls in my township. There is a bit where lincolnway is the divide north and south but the vast majority of it is portage. Will drive later with a map to see if it is too Far East

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 5, 2018

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Spiffster posted:

Since you'll be going public, mind doxing yourself by providing an e-mail so I can get them in touch with you? Or at least the township so I can send them looking and hope they make the right decision.

Let me reach out to an active Dem I knew in IN way back when. She may be out but she used to be really involved. If Upland still has the satellite around 46th or whatever (I think it's called SoBro now, back then it was just the hood) ask them about the redheaded distributor. You could probably ask the bald dude at Kahn's for her name/contact since she's probably moved on to other opportunities. She used to run (or at least was so heavily involved as to make it a distinction without a difference) the drinking liberally group and would be a great contact.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

CassandraSupreme posted:

Since you'll be going public, mind doxing yourself by providing an e-mail so I can get them in touch with you? Or at least the township so I can send them looking and hope they make the right decision.

Let me reach out to an active Dem I knew in IN way back when. She may be out but she used to be really involved. If Upland still has the satellite around 46th or whatever (I think it's called SoBro now, back then it was just the hood) ask them about the redheaded distributor. You could probably ask the bald dude at Kahn's for her name/contact since she's probably moved on to other opportunities. She used to run (or at least was so heavily involved as to make it a distinction without a difference) the drinking liberally group and would be a great contact.

When we have a better Idea of who's doing what We'll probably set up an email for campaign stuff (inb4 But her Emails) to separate from our personal accounts.

When that happens I'll toss it in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Sweet :)

• Locked thread