Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The world looks very reminiscent of the opening scene of Prometheus. There’s a familiarity that also feels slightly off and alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
the game is obviously not just going to be big empty spaces as we see interior environments (although degrading bc of timefall) and lea's character talks about cities to sam. someone has to be making all of this babytek.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i just wish kojima would pick a dang tagline and stick with it because his last few attempts have been awkwaaaard

the "First there was an explosion" refrain in the last trailer was clunky as hell and now we have attempt 2 with "Give me your hand in [x]" which isn't much better

acksplode
May 17, 2004

He'll never top SNAKE IS BACK ON "FOX" !

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Oxxidation posted:

i just wish kojima would pick a dang tagline and stick with it because his last few attempts have been awkwaaaard

the "First there was an explosion" refrain in the last trailer was clunky as hell and now we have attempt 2 with "Give me your hand in [x]" which isn't much better

legitimately curious if kojima knows how off that sounds in English. Maybe these are supposed to have way more impact in Japanese or something. either way kojima likely doesnt know what hes talking about which means this will be a really cool and confusing game. I wonder if we're gonna get MGS4-length cutscenes.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I'm going to guess this game will be like Spintires but with people and five hours of cutscenes because Kojima is a hackfraud. It will start as a more or less open, terrain traversal/survival game that has you plan your own routes and equipping yourself to hopefully complete deliveries in a world that realistically simulates terrain, the psychics and degradation of gear Reedus can equip and the cargo you can choose to carry with you. As we saw you might need to bring a ladder and ropes if you want to traverse mountains, try to ford rivers along shallow or calm sections, keep your equipment reasonable so you don't weight yourself down too much and more than likely look after Reedus' health somehow.

It's all going to be tied together with some roguelite elements based around losing your traversal gear if you die and in doing so getting forced to take different routes which involve different survival techniques, combat, and stealth scenarios. The stupid baby thing too is like a tool that you can use to make stealth easier and I guarantee degrades somehow, which more than likely punishes you in your next life or whatever. As the game goes along the open area stuff takes a backseat to city traversal stuff, probably combat heavier too.

I eagerly await the time future archeologists unearth this post from the ruins of SA and nod sagely at ancient man's wisdom.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
trying to work something with diabetes but diabreedus just doesnt sound right

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

I hope this game isn't fun. I hope it's brutal and exhausting and depressing. I hope it's the Dark Souls of walking simulators and you have to pull off multi-button combos or you'll trip on small rocks and break your toenail.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Det_no posted:

I eagerly await the time future archeologists unearth this post from the ruins of SA and nod sagely at ancient man's wisdom.

You were wrong in the first sentence, hot shot!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Having several of my own toenails go black and peel off in my lifetime, I can tell you it's not as painful as it looks.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

You know what would be painful: using a hot metal wire on a toenail due to internal bleeding happening just under the nail.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm in danger of spewing here, this is non-non-non-non-heinous.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

widespread posted:

You know what would be painful: using a hot metal wire on a toenail due to internal bleeding happening just under the nail.

you know what i'm hoping for? having to pull off toenails in real time and do close up self-surgery in a AAA 2018 version of MGS3's healing submenus

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The MGS3 stuff was therapeutic and chill, Hideo is a good guy. So if this hypothetical menu is chill and cool like in MGS3, I can handle that.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Your Parents posted:

you know what i'm hoping for? having to pull off toenails in real time and do close up self-surgery in a AAA 2018 version of MGS3's healing submenus

Let's fuckin' one up that horrible surgery sequence from That One Dead Game Metal Gear Solid The Fifth The Phantom Pain

And we do it by having Norman Reedus be struck with internal penis bleeding and having to suture that poo poo himself.

... or not because that might actually be too far.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This is how things get out of hand. Buncha gamers discussing some game, now Norman Reedus's dong is in danger. This is how the nuke got made, and as the MGS live-action scenes tell us, nukes are bad.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Norman Reedus and his Endangered Penis

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Norman Peenus

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I mean have you seen the locales he goes to? His dongerino must have life insurance by now.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Everyone should check out Kojima's twitter now and then but especially around E3-time.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I bet the blue goo creatures are somehow hives of nanite bots

not just because nanites can be a joker card that can be used to explain anything, but because in some sense, nanites are a form of life and life has this demographic explosion advantage,... I think this could be a better explanation than transdimensional entities

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 15, 2018

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

That actually explains a lot.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Yo I recently read this fucken book that gave me major Death Stranding vibes:

https://www.amazon.com/Gone-World-Tom-Sweterlitsch/dp/0399167501

"Shannon Moss is part of a clandestine division within the Naval Criminal Investigative Service. In western Pennsylvania, 1997, she is assigned to solve the murder of a Navy SEAL's family—and to locate his vanished teenage daughter. Though she can't share the information with conventional law enforcement, Moss discovers that the missing SEAL was an astronaut aboard the spaceship U.S.S. Libra—a ship assumed lost to the currents of Deep Time. Moss knows first-hand the mental trauma of time-travel and believes the SEAL's experience with the future has triggered this violence.

Determined to find the missing girl and driven by a troubling connection from her own past, Moss travels ahead in time to explore possible versions of the future, seeking evidence to crack the present-day case. To her horror, the future reveals that it's not only the fate of a family that hinges on her work, for what she witnesses rising over time's horizon and hurtling toward the present is the Terminus: the terrifying and cataclysmic end of humanity itself."

Basically, this is True Detective meets Interstellar. A time traveling apocalyptic sci-fi police procedural with a lot of dope high concepts.

This book and Death Stranding seem to deal with a lot of similar concepts, including time, dimensions, the possible end of human existence, and other things. The final act of the book is just full of sci-fi high concept weirdness that I hope DS delivers on.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

widespread posted:

I watched my dad do this once with a fingernail. He set the toughness bar pretty high that day. Years later he knocked said bar off and sent it clattering across the floor when he fainted at the sight of blood from a gash on my sister's head after something fell on her in the kitchen, but I digress (she had like 7 stitches and was fine).

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Brightman posted:

I watched my dad do this once with a fingernail. He set the toughness bar pretty high that day. Years later he knocked said bar off and sent it clattering across the floor when he fainted at the sight of blood from a gash on my sister's head after something fell on her in the kitchen, but I digress (she had like 7 stitches and was fine).

I pulled a my big toenail off barehanded after I accidentally knocked it 2/3rds of the way off I also close my eyes during every operating scene in The Knick.

Man is truly a bold and dissonant symphony of contradictions.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
god drat you guys im eating

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Redditors have latched onto Lindsay Wagner's necklace as a possible easter egg/code. They are attempting to crack it using quipu (Incan knot tying recording system), musical notation, etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DeathStranding/comments/8qfzj1/lindsay_wagners_necklace/

Kojima has tweeted about quipu before:
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/934380712618221570

My own personal interpretation of the code, based on my own experience breaking cryptic codes:
BESURETODRINKYOUROVALTINE

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hideo posted some character renders on Tweeter.

I like the dreamcatcher on the back. That gun looks sick. It looks like Sam has some sorta exo load supporter leg attachments. I love the slots to attach more crates on his legs and shoulders.

The blue uniform with stripes resemble a United States Postal Service uniform, so Postman theory confirmed.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Still not a fan of Norman Reedus' face. Don't get why Hideo is so enamored with him.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
He looks very blue collar and unhappy

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Good luck accessing that compartment all the way in the back, Idiot

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Whitey posted:

Still not a fan of Norman Reedus' face.

uh, okay

next time I see him I'll pass that along

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bas_fZ1anQQ

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guys what if... what if... Death Stranding is the creepy horror bipedal version of Spintires

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
stealth qwop with horror elements honestly sounds extremely funny and good

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
I just finished reading the Three Body Problem trilogy by Cixing Liu and the end of the third book had some creepily familiar elements of it, especially given the mentions of time in the trailer.

Spoilers for the book Death’s End:

In particular, at a certain point 5 alien spaceships take off from a planet, leaving 5 black ‘death strands’ (the translation says death lines but it’s a translation after all) hovering in the air trailing up into orbit.

The death strands slow down the speed of light to 0, and are super dangerous because when disturbed they pop into what is effectively a relativistic trap where time travels much faster due to the speed of light being lowered to 16 m/s. A character gets caught while trying to land a ship and 17 million years pass by the time they land.

Seems like it could be an inspiration if nothing else - the book came out in 2010.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
So this is basically Royal mail the game with the objective being having to stealth past ghost to post letters / parcels

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Taintrunner posted:

The blue uniform with stripes resemble a United States Postal Service uniform, so Postman theory confirmed.

Sam isn't a postman. He's a porter. It's right there on his uniform. And in his name.

It's really cool how the invisible monsters leave endless cycles of plants growing/dying wherever they walk. They don't kill so much as they generate endless life...which always ends in death.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Goreld posted:

I just finished reading the Three Body Problem trilogy by Cixing Liu and the end of the third book had some creepily familiar elements of it, especially given the mentions of time in the trailer.

Spoilers for the book Death’s End:

In particular, at a certain point 5 alien spaceships take off from a planet, leaving 5 black ‘death strands’ (the translation says death lines but it’s a translation after all) hovering in the air trailing up into orbit.

The death strands slow down the speed of light to 0, and are super dangerous because when disturbed they pop into what is effectively a relativistic trap where time travels much faster due to the speed of light being lowered to 16 m/s. A character gets caught while trying to land a ship and 17 million years pass by the time they land.

Seems like it could be an inspiration if nothing else - the book came out in 2010.

Cool I’m about to start that series after I finish Broken Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Am I the only one that feels like Death Stranding is just the video game version of a Zack "Geist Editor" Parsons frontpage article series?

• Locked thread