Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kibayasu posted:

I guess they brought back the kinda weirdly lingering death scenes after excising them from Rise?

Lara getting impaled on spikes is one of the few death scenes they kept in Rise, a grisly end you would be all-too familiar with if you played Endurance Mode. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I should say I'm not really complaining if they did bring them back because TR2013 on the whole felt like part of it was responding to the clean and sanitized universe of Uncharted and its alikes and showing the polar opposite of that was, in a way, enjoyable. Though Rise of sort of turned into that anyways.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

doingitwrong posted:

We're literally having a conversation about an instance of a review that isn't that 99%.

Good. Be the change.

I'm just starting and one thing I can't help but notice is that the opening bit is like straight out of Uncharted: Lost Legacy.

e: Actually really enjoying Lara's VA so far. She actually sounds notably more tired and world weary than in the first two games, which makes sense. Also thanks to exquisite tea's pro tip about the difference between high and ultra textures I'm getting like 60+ fps performance which is way better than Rise, and the game is noticeably nicer looking, especially when it comes to subtle details.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 12, 2018

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

OMG you guys I have to work today instead of raiding tombs and now I'm literally dead lol

I'm Lara Croft and welcome to Jackass

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

DrNutt posted:

Good. Be the change.

I'm just starting and one thing I can't help but notice is that the opening bit is like straight out of Uncharted: Lost Legacy.

e: Actually really enjoying Lara's VA so far. She actually sounds notably more tired and world weary than in the first two games, which makes sense. Also thanks to exquisite tea's pro tip about the difference between high and ultra textures I'm getting like 60+ fps performance which is way better than Rise, and the game is noticeably nicer looking, especially when it comes to subtle details.

What's the tip? Just re-read and couldn't see optimizations listed, but admittedly I'm workposting and may be distracted.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

OAquinas posted:

What's the tip? Just re-read and couldn't see optimizations listed, but admittedly I'm workposting and may be distracted.

Oh, sorry. The ultra textures are some uncompressed behemoths at like 8096x8096 or something and if you're playing on 1080p or 1440p there's no visible difference between ultra and high textures. Saved me quite a few fps just doing that.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hot drat thats a lotta texturin goin on.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I keep forgetting to post that the thread title is just :discourse:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They may have toned down how chesty Lara is since the reboot but holy poo poo does this game give her the most loving rendered rear end this side of a Kojima game. And plenty of leering, lingering, creeper shots of it as well.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I'm home but I didn't have the newest GAME READY VIDEO DRIVERS installed so rip me. Don't wanna play with no suboptimal hair.

Vince MechMahon posted:

They may have toned down how chesty Lara is since the reboot but holy poo poo does this game give her the most loving rendered rear end this side of a Kojima game. And plenty of leering, lingering, creeper shots of it as well.

or suboptimal butt I guess

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 12, 2018

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
I have an i5 and a 1060 and had terrible stuttering problems until i turned off directx 12

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Lara "Body Count" Croft

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Here's me surprise glomping Kevin! I just love these guys, they are so funny!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Just a heads up. If you, like me and apparently a bunch of people on the steam forums, have an issue where the game freezes for a second or two every now and again while walking around;
Tab out with the game running, change the task in task manager to high priority. That fixed it for me.

You have to be in game when you do it though, doing it from the main menu apparently doesn't work.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I'm never going to get past the intros and tutorials because I keep going into Photographer Mode

gently caress I love these games so much

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nearly 3 years of waiting and so far it's totally worth it.

Died once so far. Cut a trip wire stupid thinking I was ok because I'd jumped over it and was on the other side.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Made it about 3.5 hours in before having to call it for bedtime and I can say, it's definitely a Tomb Raider game so far! I like the increased emphasis on exploration and the story leaning more into Lara being an obsessive weirdo who can't talk to people. It was a good call to put Jonah in a more consistent role to have someone more affable to bounce off of. Surprisingly light on combat given the previous two games in the reboot series, I wonder how general audiences will perceive that. Had to tweak a couple things to get it running smoothly on Steam and wowsers, this is a good-looking game. Probably the best new thing on PC that money can buy, which is no surprise given how revolutionary Rise looked in 2015.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It's good to be raiding tombs again.
Photomode is hilariously distracting and funny and whoever at eidos put in 'change Lara's expression' mode is a genius.

Groetgaffel posted:

Just a heads up. If you, like me and apparently a bunch of people on the steam forums, have an issue where the game freezes for a second or two every now and again while walking around;
Tab out with the game running, change the task in task manager to high priority. That fixed it for me.

You have to be in game when you do it though, doing it from the main menu apparently doesn't work.

Thanks for this! Solved my only graphics issue.
Game is running well and seems pretty optimised. I'm glad to have a new pretty game to run on my new computer and give it a workout.

Anyone know if/how you can return to previous areas to pick up stuff you missed? I missed one deathmask for the challenge.
I'm not seeing an option to replay yet so is it unlocked only after beating the whole game?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Helith posted:

It's good to be raiding tombs again.
Photomode is hilariously distracting and funny and whoever at eidos put in 'change Lara's expression' mode is a genius.

Thanks for this! Solved my only graphics issue.
Game is running well and seems pretty optimised. I'm glad to have a new pretty game to run on my new computer and give it a workout.

Anyone know if/how you can return to previous areas to pick up stuff you missed? I missed one deathmask for the challenge.
I'm not seeing an option to replay yet so is it unlocked only after beating the whole game?

If it's in the opening tutorialish level then you might have to complete the campaign to go back and finish that challenge. That's how it worked in Rise with the opening Syria level.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Playing this blind with Deadly Obsession is, uh, tricky as hell.

Getting flashbacks of Rise here with how far you lose progress on if you gently caress up the 'tutorial.'

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Kid Lara is the best.
Now I want to play the whole game as her with her narrating the whole thing like an adventure book in 3rd person :allears:

DrNutt posted:

If it's in the opening tutorialish level then you might have to complete the campaign to go back and finish that challenge. That's how it worked in Rise with the opening Syria level.

Yeah I think I'll need to wait for it as it was in the tutorial area. Still the challenges just seem to give 100xp on completion so far, so no biggie.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Saw a short vid of playable kid Lara so now I guess I'm going to try and invest in the story! Bah! :colbert:

One thing that will always make me laugh/cry about this reboot series is a huge chunk of the fans interpreted Lara and Sam from the first game as turbo gay (Lara quite literally bridal carries her down a mountain while a rainbow shines specifically on them and nothing else and Sam serves as 90% of Lara's motivation for her murderventure) and so in response the devs sidelined Sam and pretended she doesn't exist anymore. Hrmmm. [9000x9000 thinking emoji gif]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

OAquinas posted:

Playing this blind with Deadly Obsession is, uh, tricky as hell.

Getting flashbacks of Rise here with how far you lose progress on if you gently caress up the 'tutorial.'

I'm playing on Hard everything now but I'd save Deadly Obsession for an NG+ run personally. These games are full of instadeath traps and it seems really tedious when you don't know what's coming. Replaying Rise on Extreme Survivor was frustrating enough at times and I was already familiar with everything in the campaign.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

lol

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I cannot believe Samus Croft lost all her loving upgrades, again.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

She didn't, you start with rope arrow, grapple axe and other stuff you had to unlock last game.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

big nipples big life posted:

She didn't, you start with rope arrow, grapple axe and other stuff you had to unlock last game.

That's the tutorial area.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

oh lmao, I didn't get to play much last night.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Saint Freak posted:

That's the tutorial area.

No, even when you lose your gear, when you get your bow and ice axe back, you still have rope arrows and your grapple axe without having to unlock them as in 13 and Rise.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Yeah, DO and (mostly) blind seconded because I caved in on streams while waiting on the unlock and install. Guess how enjoyable it is to restart the tutorial from 20 minutes in if you miss collectibles, gently caress up a jump or eat too many bullets in the combat section?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Saw a short vid of playable kid Lara so now I guess I'm going to try and invest in the story! Bah! :colbert:

One thing that will always make me laugh/cry about this reboot series is a huge chunk of the fans interpreted Lara and Sam from the first game as turbo gay (Lara quite literally bridal carries her down a mountain while a rainbow shines specifically on them and nothing else and Sam serves as 90% of Lara's motivation for her murderventure) and so in response the devs sidelined Sam and pretended she doesn't exist anymore. Hrmmm. [9000x9000 thinking emoji gif]

I mean, Rihanna Pratchett wrote 2013 and Rise, though not Shadow. Unless there was some kind of outside pressure to sideline the homoerotic undertones, I feel like that would have to be a choice she made, right?

After all, 2013 was about Lara being trapped in an island of creepy otaku perverts whereas Rise had some weird-rear end white savior poo poo going on, whether it was deconstructing that or just sincere in it, I don’t know.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
One of the game's first audio logs and the way Lara's VA says "my best friend" in reference to Sam makes me think there are at least some people on the team being ambiguous about it. Hell, you could probably even make a case for Lara being a closeted lesbian in the reboot games and it would make plenty of sense.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lara is bowsexual.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Sam’s disappearance from the later games is disappointing. Why she’s missing is explained in some comics that Pratchett & Gail Simone wrote but who reads the comics? I certainly didn’t.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

doingitwrong posted:

Sam’s disappearance from the later games is disappointing. Why she’s missing is explained in some comics that Pratchett & Gail Simone wrote but who reads the comics? I certainly didn’t.

I read the series between 13 and Rise but didn't bother reading the continuation post-Rise because they were dumb as hell and the art was pretty bad too.

I know the only reason Rhianna Pratchett gets work is her name, but I was pretty surprised that they were so stupid because I thought Gail Simone was supposed to be a pretty good writer. I wonder how much leeway she even had with the story in the comics.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 13, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

doingitwrong posted:

It's been a long 3 years of waiting, so I resorted to reading them. Not the best writing in the world...

A couple of the storylines include:
Lara believing Grim survived his fall, surprise it's his twin brother!
Alex had a sister who is some elite hacker...

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 13, 2018

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
In my mind the rebooted Lara is more or less asexual. The only booty she wants to tap is the one found in ancient tombs.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
She has a bloodlust for killing and not much else.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Villager: These armed thugs are digging up our ancestral homeland, I really wish they'd live us alone.
Lara: SOMEONE NEED KILLING?
Villager: Well that sounds a little extreme, I was just...

*Lara returns after five minutes throwing 12 crudely torn ears onto a table*

Lara: WE BARTER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I loved the stealth kill tutorial. I expected Lara to grab the guy, choke him out, maybe stab him or something. Nah, not enough for Lara Croft, who buries her god drat ice axe in a dude's chest, drags him into the vines, and then slits his throat. Jesus Christ, Lara.