Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celdia
Feb 3, 2019

Friendly Neighborhood
White Mage

nine-gear crow posted:

I think the PSP port is the better game, slowdown issues aside.

Fun fact: The slowdown issues are completely artificial and pointless. There are like 2 extra lines of code in the game that make it deliberately delay the playback of animations for no reason. Removing them has no negative on gameplay or performance or stability in any way. Its just a short loop that wastes some time between every frame of animation. Best reason I can figure for it: padding game playtime. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Celdia posted:

Fun fact: The slowdown issues are completely artificial and pointless. There are like 2 extra lines of code in the game that make it deliberately delay the playback of animations for no reason. Removing them has no negative on gameplay or performance or stability in any way. Its just a short loop that wastes some time between every frame of animation. Best reason I can figure for it: padding game playtime. :shrug:

Well, that's sure hosed up.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

quote:

Haw-knight? Hawk Night? Whatever.
They probably means "Hawk Knight" but had to shorten it to "Hawknight" because of character limits.

But then again there's Lune Rune Knight...

So who knows? :shrug:

Celdia
Feb 3, 2019

Friendly Neighborhood
White Mage

Sketchie posted:

They probably means "Hawk Knight" but had to shorten it to "Hawknight" because of character limits.

But then again there's Lune Rune Knight...

So who knows? :shrug:

Oh, right. That. Its actually a reference to the class in Vandal Hearts by the same spelling. The single K is entirely intentional.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Celdia posted:

On the plus side, it means that disabling it is easy enough and completely harmless to the game. Patches exist to do it, and patched WotL is basically the best way to play pure FFT, which I love and feel is a game more people should play

Were I not playing through KH3 now, I'd definitely be going through it again. I kinda want to test this patch myself now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Celdia posted:

Jesus. I know there was a custom firmware patch or something that removed it, but I never bothered with it. I wonder if it runs fine PPSSPP or if it has the same issue.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Celdia posted:

Oh, right. That. Its actually a reference to the class in Vandal Hearts by the same spelling. The single K is entirely intentional.
It's what I thought of when I saw the class name.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Having played an absolute poo poo ton of FFT when I was a kid and having only just tried WotL last year, I have to say that once you get over everything being renamed the WotL translation really is better overall even if you do lose out on the blunt brutality of lines like "Surrender or die in obscurity!"

The only thing I REALLY miss is the ability quotes/incantations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

nine-gear crow posted:

Also, I’ll come out and say it, I prefer the “fixed” translation names in War of the Lions over the half-assed job that was done with the script in the original version. They tried super hard to Game of Thrones it up too much because that was what was popular at the time, but over all I think the PSP port is the better game, slowdown issues aside.

First off, the Game of Thrones TV series started airing in 2011 and War of the Lions came out in 2007. Second, War of the Lions was localized in this manner to be consistent with Final Fantasy 12, which was also done similarly.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

Chillgamesh posted:

Having played an absolute poo poo ton of FFT when I was a kid and having only just tried WotL last year, I have to say that once you get over everything being renamed the WotL translation really is better overall even if you do lose out on the blunt brutality of lines like "Surrender or die in obscurity!"

The only thing I REALLY miss is the ability quotes/incantations.

Agreed. Also, I prefer some of the names in the original. Balbanes sounds believable for a knight in a fantasy story. Barbaneth is just awkward.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The redone translation also makes things like the Fifty Years' War rumor read like something other than the ravings of a madman.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DeTosh posted:

Agreed. Also, I prefer some of the names in the original. Balbanes sounds believable for a knight in a fantasy story. Barbaneth is just awkward.

Balbaneth would has also been an acceptable compromise. Algus probably should have stayed Algus, but pretty much everything else that got changed I'm cool with. Changing the Hokuten and Nanten to the Northern and Southern Sky was also a welcome change because it just bugged the poo poo out of me even when I was young that the two orders of medieval knights had untranslated Japanese names.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would have been happy with Hokuto versus Nanto and having Monks be scarier.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
So I'm working on the Dorter writeup (luckily having to redo the fight didn't cost much time) and I'm noticing I'm talking a bit about the next level of classes (those unlocked by level 2 in Warrior, Alchemist, and Green Mage) and figured I'd ask:

Would you rather see the next set of class writeups before or after Dorter?

I had planned to slot them in after Dorter (specifically after a random battle debuting them) but if people would prefer the info at hand earlier I can do that.

Also I'm going to interrupt the translation talk (well I mean not interrupt I love it) with a small teaser for the future:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'd say after. Show them in a fight and then give the details later.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

megane posted:

I'd say after. Show them in a fight and then give the details later.
:emptyquote:

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Sounds good to me.

And while we're on the subject of Dorter (and the two translations), I'm a just little bit torn. "To arms!" is a cool phrase, but "I guess we must fight. Eaaaaggghhh!" is funny to imagine Ramza saying.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Celdia posted:

Oh now I'm excited.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

If nothing else, the WotL version kind of perfectly encapsulates how much of a classist rear end Algath is.

Granted, I only ever played that version, so my views are probably skewed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

If nothing else, the WotL version kind of perfectly encapsulates how much of a classist rear end Algath is.

Granted, I only ever played that version, so my views are probably skewed.

No, you are right on the money. He was a massive motherfucker in both versions. People hated him so much in the original version they inserted and entirely new battle where the Lucavi bring him back from the dead purely so that you can kill him a second time.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

nine-gear crow posted:

No, you are right on the money. He was a massive motherfucker in both versions. People hated him so much in the original version they inserted and entirely new battle where the Lucavi bring him back from the dead purely so that you can kill him a second time.
They did a good job creating a character you love to hate there.

Celdia
Feb 3, 2019

Friendly Neighborhood
White Mage

nine-gear crow posted:

People hated him so much in the original version they inserted and entirely new battle where the Lucavi bring him back from the dead purely so that you can kill him a second time.

Literally the best part of WotL.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
While I continue to build up a backlog (since I figure that's better than dumping two updates in less than twenty four hours on you), I have an inquiry of all of you!

Yes, that's right! My lazy rear end is offloading more work on you. Remember kids, "audience participation" and "crowd-sourcing" are just fancy ways of saying "do my work for me".

Let us say, hypothetically, we were to have gained the trust and friendship of a purplish (one could even say Grape colored) goblinoid. What would the name of our new friend be?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Concord.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
GirlFromWelchs

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Grimace.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

:emptyquote:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I have nothing to suggest because nothing could possibly surpass this one.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

GrapeApe
GRAPE APE!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

This hack owns. Just try not to lean too hard on Tacticians, they're absurdly broken.

Celdia
Feb 3, 2019

Friendly Neighborhood
White Mage

Leraika posted:

Concord.

Gotta say I'm partial to this one, but I might be biased since I live near Massachusetts.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Have you guys never seen concord grapes? Those fuckers are blue.

Chalk my vote up for Grimace.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What's the character limit?

Some form of California Raisin would be my suggestion.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Update 5: Dorter Trade City

Six on six Pokemon battle.

Our side has:

Ramza, now with Dash from Gunslinger. Dash is Move+1, so combined with the base four move of the Hero, he can zip around nicely.

Pado has also picked up Dash. He's also grabbed Wholeness of Body from Cannoneer, which gives +10% Max HP.

What are Gunslinger and Cannoneer like? We'll see (one of them) soon.

Angelica has those new Friar's Robes, which add a bit of HP and MP and give Gilgame Heart as an innate.

Not the most exciting of abilities, no.

Musashi didn't have much left to get from Alchemist, and I don't have the items for half of them anyway. So, I decided to check out Cannoneer, unlocked by level 2 Alchemist. It's a neat class with a wide variety of ranged equips, getting bows, crossbows, wands, knives, and light armor. I had enough JP to pick up one ability from it, which we'll see shortly.

I was making fun of Archer for having Equip Shield as a support and no ability to natively equip shields, but it turns out Squire has the same thing going on. Thus, Delita gets a shield now. Additionally, he also grabs Dash. If you're wondering how everyone got it, it's 100 JP and level 1 in a job gets you from 100-199 JP to start with in it. So, everyone who could unlock Gunslinger could nab this.

Everyone.

This is well known, but this is the start of the "Ramza just goes wherever he feels like" in the formation screen. He'll actually get placed one tile in front of Pado.

Two Hawknights in place of the two Archers in vanilla. Bows, heavy armor, nice evasion, and to top it off above average speed.

Hell, above average doesn't even describe it. They've got a point of speed on me at level 3. That's Ninja speed right there.

If these guys were more well equipped they'd be extremely dangerous. As things stand, they're merely very irritating.

Two Green Mages. One of them has Red Magic, which is extremely dangerous. I've looked at the skillset and gotten zapped by Jessica there, but it's got exactly what you think: a variety of offensive and defensive spells, and it's backed up by the Green Mage's MA. Nasty.

The only saving grace with these two (aside from the Green Mage's low HP) is that Accelerate is halfway down the Green Mage spell list, so they're extremely unlikely to have it at this level.

Two Demagogues. We've seen their skillset out of Lezales, but this is the first time we're seeing them in battle. They're a bastard child of Knights and Mediators. They don't have quite as much raw power as Warriors, but they get heavy armor and a more AOE focused skillset.

One of them has this little number, which will be quite an annoyance. Books are WP*AVG(PA, MA) damage (or WP*(PA+MA)/2 if you wish), and Demagogues also have a solid MA score: this is 24 points of healing instantly at range 3 with a chance for Reraise.

Returning to our overview shot, we see the two Hawknights set up on the building next to our team. The left pair of enemies is the sword-Demagogue and Alchemy-Green Mage, and the right side is the book-Demagogue and Red Magic-Green Mage.

Thank god for that because the other way around would hurt. I start exploring Red Mage after this fight (it only requires level 2 Green Mage) and let me tell you: whatever you think Red Magic has to offer, the reality is likely better.

You'd think with them being under my control maybe something different would happen, but no: Delita and Algus are going to hop on the building and take care of the Hawknights, while the main team hunkers down and gets ready to weather the first pair of enemies.

Delita is charging a Vigor there, while Algus couldn't shoot the Hawknight and so throws a Light Curtain on Delita.

I haven't harped on it much because I've been going all :swoon: over Green Magic, but Alchemy has absolutely been pulling its weight with the status effects.

The enemies advance up.

Look at that range. "What are we looking at the range for" you ask?

This.

This is the Cannoneer's Shrapnel Mortar. 7 CTR with a Bahamut sized AOE. How hard does it hit, you want to know?

Pretty decent amount, and 100% accurate as a cherry (goblin) on top.

7 CTR is pretty slow as slow actions go, but it'll still go off before these two get to have a turn.

Pado full-waits so Angelica and Ramza can work their magic.

What magic?

You needed to ask? I hope not. No Mint Goblins here to mess up my plans. You'll note that Musashi act-waited, so he's going to get to have his turn come back fast as well. The same goes for Ramza and Angelica: Haste only lasts so many clockticks, so I want to maximize the number of turns in its duration.

I can't remember if Force Armor's incantation got shown off, but if not: here you go.

Bah. Still, three of four isn't bad.

That wasn't permission to screw up, Ramza! Accelerate at least manages to tag the other three.

With his newfound speed, Pado can charge a Charge (ha!) on the enemy Demagogue. We'll see how it goes in a moment.

I'm really enjoying the tactical flexibility crossbows give, by the way.

One of the Hawknights shot Pado for a pathetic amount of damage, while this one apparently doesn't get the "Arrow Guard" part of the Quick Hands ability.

Neither, it seems, does Angelica.

Thanks.

She responds back with her wand. There's no blast of magic or anything. You just swing the wand and damage happens. It should be silly but it just makes me smile. It's like a modern version of how the old Final Fantasy games would just have the characters swinging a sword at air and damage would happen.

The trouble with slow action crossbow shots: you're never completely sure if you're walking into the line of fire.

I move Ramza up here and have him Vigor instead.

Pado's Charge goes off and lands. It's a very satisfying damage number: two more than a CCP Potion, which isn't foreshadowing at all. None at all.

Protect doing work.

It doesn't, however, do work against this. This is the Red Mage's Jolt, their basic lightning elemental spell. It hits a line in front of them.

Oh, and it's instant cast. Yeah. There's a reason I got scared when I saw Red Magic on that stat screen.

The other Green Mage is prepping a Force Armor of her own on the Demagogue here, as if he wasn't already annoying enough to take down.

I love Green Magic, but Shrapnel Mortar might be the new hotness for a while.

The Demagogue gets his Protect, unfortunately.

But Delita and Algus team up to take out one of the Hawknights. That Aim ability Algus has been making good use of is actually a Hawknight ability, so it'll be nice to have the best part of Algus even after he's gone.

Establishing shot with just how big the Cannoneer's AOE is.

Wands might not be the strongest of weapons, but just like in FFV: enough of an action advantage and it doesn't matter how little damage you're doing. If you're doing it fast enough, it gets the job done.

The third Green Mage got hit for 16 as well. I'm not sure yet on Shrapnel Mortar's damage formula, but it's solid enough AOE.

I love Protect in my hands, but drat is it annoying to fight through.

Quick Hands dong work.

As is that Chocobo Tome. Luckily those two have Bad compatibility...is what I'd like to say, but the Green Mage has little enough max HP that it doesn't matter much: a heal's a heal.

It's a rather unnecessary critical, but funny anyway.

Especially when this is taking so long to chew through.

Blargh. At least it's not more "blowing us up". And anyway, a bit of chip healing from Green Magic and Regen isn't that much. It's not like-

-she's the one with Alchemy.

Always shoot the mages first.

Always.

Yes, I'm aware that Alchemy is independent of their status as mages. Less arguing, more mage-shooting.

Musashi may be out of cannon MP, but he's still got a longbow.

See? Solving problems from a million miles away.

Even if he thinks the problems are "having too many arrows" and "the enemies are dying too fast".

drat Sagittariuses.

Gemini also has Bad compatibility with Virgo, but it's only Sagittarius bearers that I see numbers like this and feel murderous rage. I think it's because my sister-in-law is a Sagittarius.

Ramza also gets Regen, but it's small comfort.

Another free turn, another Vigor.

This is after Aim, keep in mind. Protect and bad compatiblity suck.

More chipping, more Vigoring.

Aw drat it.

There's a bug in this patch, where a level up wipes out all your temporary stat boosts from battle. Delita's supposed to have 10 PA now, but he's back at the start with 6. It's irritating, but not as big of a deal as you might think, since you can work around it by paying attention to your EXP numbers.

Which, to be clear here, I wasn't. But still, I'm not letting it bring me down.

Finally addressing Pado bleeding out all over the streets.

Finally addressing that Green Mage not bleeding out all over the streets.

I'm trying to, at least!

That's just insulting, really.

Never mind, that was funny. This is insulting.

I'm not sure how.

But it is.

Stil, I get my revenge.

Slowing chipping people down. It's annoying, but with all three of their dangerous hitters down, this is a done deal.

Slowly...getting...

GODDAMMIT!

STOP DODGING EVERYTHING.

You assholes watch out. Eventually I'm going to get Mosfungus, and I'm going to just shove it down all your throats and sit back and laugh.

God knows it'd be faster!

I'm exaggerating a little for comic effect. Like I said, at this point I know I've won, so it's not like this is seriously inconveniencing me.

Not like when I accidentally screwed up my screenshots.

How did that happen, you ask? Well, I was doing stuff with Irfanview, and set a transparency setting or something I shouldn't have.

The result was kind of horrifying, and categorically useless.

So I had to redo this fight. ePSXe doesn't support input recording, and my laptop I'm using can't record anything at better than five FPS.

This is actually going worse than the last go around.

Which is impressive, because last time two of the enemies had Quick Hands, and half my team uses a bow of some sort.

Still, even with my laptop's drive being nearly full, that's still a few gigabytes free. This isn't the 90s anymore, and keeping multiple FFT saves isn't anywhere near a dealbreaker.

My story's done, and I've still got pictures of beating this people up.

So how are you all doing? I hope you're having a good day. Or at least a decent day.

I am. Doing this LP has actually been helping my days.

I'm in my last semester of college (after far too many years) and having something to do between classes is nice.

Finally

I won't say that was too long, but there just wasn't much to say! Kill the Hawknights and the rest fell into place. I'm making it sound worse than it was, I think.

This was a pretty fun map to play. The arrangement of enemies gave a sort of mounting pressure as more and more enemies showed up in the fight, while also presenting some of the tricks I've been using on the enemy side. At some point I'm going to meet a Green Mage with Accelerate and that will make my life miserable.

NEXT TIME, ON CELDIA'S COMPLETE PATCH

An Ivalician Tale: Pado Goes West

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Randalor posted:

What's the character limit?

14! It's very generous.

Celdia
Feb 3, 2019

Friendly Neighborhood
White Mage

Trasson posted:

drat Sagittariuses.

Hey! I resemble that remark. :colbert:

Trasson posted:

There's a bug in this patch, where a level up wipes out all your temporary stat boosts from battle. ... It's irritating, but not as big of a deal as you might think, since you can work around it by paying attention to your EXP numbers.

It's not a bug, it's a feature! :smugdog:

Seriously though, I did everything I could to try and fix that and it just wasn't happening. Falls into that category of things I mentioned before where removing the bit that causes it would undo most of the changes in the hack. Was kind of forced to market it as a counter to the silly Yell+Accumulate stacking strats from vanilla FFT which I don't care for but am also totally guilty of abusing.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You’d be an excellent sales(wo)man

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Geez I am stunned by what this Hack offers. Most of the FFT Hacks I've seen seem to generally focus on twisting the game to fit the hacker's idea of how the original should have worked, but this seems different, it seems to be building an entirely new game based on its own rules.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Celdia posted:

Seriously though, I did everything I could to try and fix that and it just wasn't happening. Falls into that category of things I mentioned before where removing the bit that causes it would undo most of the changes in the hack. Was kind of forced to market it as a counter to the silly Yell+Accumulate stacking strats from vanilla FFT which I don't care for but am also totally guilty of abusing.

:sweatdrop:

Strange Matter posted:

Geez I am stunned by what this Hack offers. Most of the FFT Hacks I've seen seem to generally focus on twisting the game to fit the hacker's idea of how the original should have worked, but this seems different, it seems to be building an entirely new game based on its own rules.

Yeah, it's very good! Very creative, makes good use of FFT's design space, emphasis on content over difficulty. A really fun hack to tackle blind that doesn't expect you to memorize the spoiler guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So far, at least, this fangame doesn’t really seem to have any... Particular moments of “gently caress you if you don’t do this the exact way I envisioned it” like some of the others that have been LPed on here.

Like FFT 1.3.

Or Pokemon Reborn.