Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

blackguy32 posted:

Some are in caves or mines so check those

Also, some are under bridges. It took me a while to realise that they weren't all in big NERO sites or by crashed helicopters. Some are just the big white cold-box with a dead scientist nearby, and not easy to spot. Also some are unreachable until you upgrade your bike as you need to be able to jump quite a distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Was clearing out an infestation zone last night and was looting the top floor of a building when a horde wandered by. I was lucky enough that none of then wandered into the building. Was a pretty tense 5 minutes of hiding.

I am still early game and have been just clearing ambush camps and infestation zones, so running across hordes is still pants making GBS threads. It is a nice tense moment.

Horde encounters in the early game are great. I quickly discovered that you can't just power through on your bike if you meet one on the road.

One time I was mooching around inside a building when some marauders came by and started shooting freakers, which attracted a nearby horde. So I was cowering in the building while an intense but short-lived battle raged outside the house.

After I completed the game I went back and cleared all the hordes just for fun. Some of the smaller ones in the north can literally be taken out with an attractor and two grenades, but even when you're maxed out the big ones (in the hundreds) can still be a fun challenge.

One thing I wanted to try but never remembered to do - Horde caves are often very small. Wait till the horde has left and plant a load of remote-control bombs evenly spaced inside. When the horde comes back and goes to sleep is it possible to trigger all the bombs at once and one-shot the whole horde? :)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was taking out a marauder camp last night and pissed off a horde on the way so I just ran through the camp and the zombies killed all 14 of them in about 1.5 seconds. it was pretty funny. Then they killed me.

One thing I'm actually not huge on is how generous the saves are in this game though. Like, there is really no risk to anything. The game feels like it's actually kind f tough once in a while until I realize that death usually means I lose anywhere from nothing to about 30 seconds of gameplay. Kind of wish I had started on survival tbh.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
On the other hand, the autosave can really screw you over. My current save is literally in the middle of a horde. I'm not sure I like that hordes just always magically know where you are once they're active. Is it explained in game that they're super smart when they're in a horde?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I had a really bad one where it autosaved, and I had no life and got immediately shot with a shotgun after the load. Took me about 10 tries of rolling immediately before I could get out of the insta death loop. Seems like kind of a dangerous way to handle saves, since it would have been game breaking if it had saved a 10th of a second earlier.

The AI seems pretty basic and when it's aware of you it seems like it always know exactly where you are. I haven't really ever been able to shake it mid combat. seems like you just have to gain enough distance for them to forget about you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The more I play the more I'm loving it. I ended up clearing that Nero quest by sniping the speakers out.

In general the very real tension caused by the scarcity of ammo and sheer numbers of zombos is cool. The map is super well designed and gorgeous, exploring all the abandoned places is dope. Just riding between outposts is really nice too.

"RDR2 without the bullshit" is pretty apt, and in many ways I'm reminded of Horizon as well, with a weird little dose of MGS3 in there too.

I totally, in retrospect, would have paid 60 for it and I'm def hoping for a sequel

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

precision posted:

The more I play the more I'm loving it. I ended up clearing that Nero quest by sniping the speakers out.

In general the very real tension caused by the scarcity of ammo and sheer numbers of zombos is cool. The map is super well designed and gorgeous, exploring all the abandoned places is dope. Just riding between outposts is really nice too.

"RDR2 without the bullshit" is pretty apt, and in many ways I'm reminded of Horizon as well, with a weird little dose of MGS3 in there too.

I totally, in retrospect, would have paid 60 for it and I'm def hoping for a sequel

It has to have sold enough to make Sony Games consider a sequel.

I would like to see one set in Louisiana bayou or Florida Everglades.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
With some polish, some extra difficulty modes and if its possible - different ideas, Days Gone could be a great game. Its functional and it can be fun, it just came out at the wrong time.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hahahahaha holy poo poo I have rural internet so I've been playing with 16 gigs of patch downloading on a stock-rear end launch PS4 and it's fun but also if there are more than 3 things on screen everything stutters, the textures don't load, and zombies will disappear and reappear right on top of me. Whole fuckin horde spawned in on my head earlier. I would buy a PS4 pro but I play like one exclusive a year.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

precision posted:

On the other hand, the autosave can really screw you over. My current save is literally in the middle of a horde. I'm not sure I like that hordes just always magically know where you are once they're active. Is it explained in game that they're super smart when they're in a horde?

I think that if a single member of the horde can see you, they're all aware. They can't detect you if you're hidden in long grass though, so you can get quite close and safely lob explosives at them without being spotted. With attractors/flashbangs and a good stock of napalm you can really cut down the numbers before you have to stand up and fight.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

This first flashback sequence sure feels like there is supposed to be gameplay in between each scene.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I took out a Horde last night with just a grenade and molotovs hell yeah

When you're exploring around and see a massive group of zombos it's rly good.

Does the game actually have a finite number of zombos? It seems like it at last has a finite number of hordes cause there's an actual tracker for that

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lmao this cutscene in iron mikes farm where all of the workers are digging and just throwing the dirt on their own heads.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

precision posted:

Does the game actually have a finite number of zombos? It seems like it at last has a finite number of hordes cause there's an actual tracker for that

Freakers spawn infinitely, but there's only a limited number of hordes. After you start getting missions to kill hordes, a dead horde will not respawn (not sure what happens if you kill a horde before the missions start though).

Another cool thing is seeing interactions between freakers and wildlife. Bears, wolves and freakers will all attack each other, so sometimes you can just sit back and watch them fight, then go in and pick up the ears and meat. One time I was sneaking into a marauder camp and noticed a Rager nearby, and lured it to the camp where it wiped everybody out.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Stoatbringer posted:

Freakers spawn infinitely, but there's only a limited number of hordes. After you start getting missions to kill hordes, a dead horde will not respawn (not sure what happens if you kill a horde before the missions start though).

I killed off the horde at the sawmill before the story missions kicked in and it came back when the storyline stuff happened.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Do you have to beat the game to unlock the Challenges that came out this month?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also, while dead (?) wife is a dumb cliche, the relationship they have in the flashbacks is very well done.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

blackguy32 posted:

Finally got the plat for this game and while I could finish off the rest of the hordes, I think I am pretty sick of playing. The voice acting was fine other than the hilarious angry voice that Deek constantly has while stealthing camps.

*Sneaks along and kills someone*

"HOW YOU LIKE THAT YOU BUNCH OF RAPISTS AND MURDERERS, IM GOING TO MURDER ALL OF YOU LIKE THE MURDERING SONS OF BITCHES YOU ARE!!!"

*Sneaks along some more*

lol this made me laugh every time it happened, felt so out of place most of the time. I just found sarah and it was the most anticlimatic thing ever. Also the game should have already ended.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

There are a few sequences where you ride to a location with someone, and Deacon and whoever are having a conversation, shouted to each other over the noise of the bikes. If you stop and get off to collect scrap/pick flowers the shouted conversation just carries on.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I also like that I can be at the bike shop in Lost lake, right next to Rikki, but we're have a conversation over the radio. I dig this game though. I don't know how far in I am but the game keeps going and going and I am 100% fine with that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Please wolves, quit launching yourselves at me while I am riding my bike.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Untrustable posted:

I also like that I can be at the bike shop in Lost lake, right next to Rikki, but we're have a conversation over the radio. I dig this game though. I don't know how far in I am but the game keeps going and going and I am 100% fine with that.

Yeah, I finished the MQ recently and whilst I would have cut a few of the random Copeland/Tucker quests out, other than that I actually had a great time. Surprisingly enough, for all the criticism of the plot and characters, I ended up kind of giving a poo poo about this merry crowd of dipshits, especially the chill ones like Rikki and Capt. Kouri and stuff.

Earlier I'd have said 71/72 was a perfectly reasonable Metacritic score but having finished it and thought on it for a bit, I'd say closer to 80 would be entirely fair. Not an all-time classic by any means, but just a solid fun time that to me was worth the money.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah, I finished the MQ recently and whilst I would have cut a few of the random Copeland/Tucker quests out, other than that I actually had a great time. Surprisingly enough, for all the criticism of the plot and characters, I ended up kind of giving a poo poo about this merry crowd of dipshits, especially the chill ones like Rikki and Capt. Kouri and stuff.

A lot of the side characters seem far more relatable than the main characters. I mean I get Deek and Boozers relationship being forged through the MC and violence but they are unashamedly morally bad characters even before the outbreak.

I think the outlaw with the heart of gold trope is just a little too played out for me to really enjoy at the moment.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

precision posted:

Okay so gently caress hordes, I'm coming back to this place once I unlock grenades or something

It's not that bad. I've killed a number of hordes with not many unlocks. It just needs a plan. Well, also it helps that you can stock up on found in the world attractor explosives and grenades and pipe bombs and stuff. Only having 2 spare magazines for my primary gun sucks though.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Friendly Fire posted:

A lot of the side characters seem far more relatable than the main characters. I mean I get Deek and Boozers relationship being forged through the MC and violence but they are unashamedly morally bad characters even before the outbreak.

I think the outlaw with the heart of gold trope is just a little too played out for me to really enjoy at the moment.

(Late late ripper mission spoilers)

Not sure about the "heart of gold" bit 100%. In the second mission to go to Ripper territory you come across a woman who has been tied up to feed to zombies. When you cut her down you realize her legs are broken. In other heart of gold outlaw games the main meat of the mission would stop so you could get her to safety. In this case Deacon just holds his hand over her mouth and nose until she's unconscious so it won't be as bad when the zombies eat her. Unless they were implying that what he did killed her. In that case very unrealistic; cutting off someone's air for less than a minute shouldn't kill them.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
That's hilariously dumb. Why not just go all the way and do the deed yourself?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
There's a lot here to like, but none of it is gameplay related. Game looks and sounds great and their pacific northwest is fun to be in, but combat blows, the scarcity\repair\craft\scrounging mechanics detracts from exploration, the bike handles like crap, etc. It honestly would be a better game if it dropped all the stuff that's supposed to make it unique.

On the plus side, there's great moments, like when I clear out some freaker nests and Deek mumbles about how the area should be safe now... then a swarm of 15 freakers fall from the sky and stomp me to death.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mysterious frankie posted:

There's a lot here to like, but none of it is gameplay related. Game looks and sounds great and their pacific northwest is fun to be in, but combat blows, the scarcity\repair\craft\scrounging mechanics detracts from exploration, the bike handles like crap, etc. It honestly would be a better game if it dropped all the stuff that's supposed to make it unique.

I actually like all that stuff!

What's this about Deek and Boozer being bad people though? Did they really go full Sons of Anarchy and make them former criminals instead of just being MC members? Because boo and hiss to that.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

mysterious frankie posted:

On the plus side, there's great moments, like when I clear out some freaker nests and Deek mumbles about how the area should be safe now... then a swarm of 15 freakers fall from the sky and stomp me to death.
It all gets better as you go. The RPG-lite mechanic poo poo means you start off scarce and weak and get better. 2nd half of the game ammo becomes way less scarce and there is a lot of scrap and crafting stuff everywhere.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Outside of some AI issues I actually really like the gameplay for the most part.

precision posted:

I actually like all that stuff!

You might have seen me being evangelical about the game in other threads already lol, but have you played metro exodus? I just have this weird feeling that you would absolutely love it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Exodus is definitely on my list yeah. It looks dope.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Untrustable posted:

Not sure about the "heart of gold" bit 100%. In the second mission to go to Ripper territory you come across a woman who has been tied up to feed to zombies. When you cut her down you realize her legs are broken. In other heart of gold outlaw games the main meat of the mission would stop so you could get her to safety. In this case Deacon just holds his hand over her mouth and nose until she's unconscious so it won't be as bad when the zombies eat her. Unless they were implying that what he did killed her. In that case very unrealistic; cutting off someone's air for less than a minute shouldn't kill them.

As I recall, he explicitly kills her with his knife.

precision posted:

What's this about Deek and Boozer being bad people though? Did they really go full Sons of Anarchy and make them former criminals instead of just being MC members? Because boo and hiss to that.

Well, "bad" people. There's a really late flashback mission where you find out that one of the ways the Mongrels made money was a big, off-the-grid, largely automated marijuana grow.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wanderer posted:

As I recall, he explicitly kills her with his knife.

I just played that part and he definitely just put his hand over her face for about 6 seconds. and yes I think the implication was that it killed her

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I just played that part and he definitely just put his hand over her face for about 6 seconds. and yes I think the implication was that it killed her

Edit: after going back and watching the scene in question on YouTube, I don't know where I got the idea he uses the knife. There's this really understated sound that makes me think he's supposed to have broken her neck or something, though.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 24, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If he did I didn't see it. I think he does something similar to another character during that during that whole sequence though. Skizzo maybe?

A lot happens in that mission lol. I do remember having the same reaction as the previous posters though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wanderer posted:

Well, "bad" people. There's a really late flashback mission where you find out that one of the ways the Mongrels made money was a big, off-the-grid, largely automated marijuana grow.

Oh lol well that's fine. I would not believe Sarah would have gotten involved with "real" crime

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
A real biker woulda beat her with a brick

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Are all the bikers in this just totally chill nice people and not gang rapist murderers like in real life?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

JBP posted:

Are all the bikers in this just totally chill nice people and not gang rapist murderers like in real life?

Deacon in the flashbacks comes off as reasonably chill, yeah, but once you get far enough along in the Rippers storyline, you discover that he accidentally started the whole cult by blowtorching a guy's tattoos off. Call it a medium setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JBP posted:

I know plenty of real life bikers that are insanely nice.