Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is AEW #1?
This poll is closed.
Yes 87 46.28%
Yes but we shouldn't brag about it and make all the people with bad taste who like bad promotions feel bad 101 53.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Replay is up on BR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

heel turn posted:

"You sick gently caress"

There was a very short lived ECW chant in my section too

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
No AYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY was worse than the Librarians.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it was good when JR said his favorite food was cum

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/GoldenboyFTW/status/1145184696462168064

Let more people substitute for Marvez pls

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

marvez could be good if he leans into his gimmick of ghost commentator who faintly plugs the next event at almost inaudible volume

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

boxcarhobo posted:

JR and Excalibur are fantastic together, I guess they can throw whoever in there with them but I will continue to advocate for a 2 man booth

I love that Excalibur is basically the friendly version of Heyman in terms of the way he just drives JR to be better to keep up. They have a great friendly, mutual-respect chemistry and work really well together.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
On the commentary: remember when CIMA vs Daniels was just beginning and JR threw to Excalibur to give a rundown of where both guys had been. And it was great.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I love that Excalibur is basically the friendly version of Heyman in terms of the way he just drives JR to be better to keep up. They have a great friendly, mutual-respect chemistry and work really well together.

Excalibur is so good at filling dead air with weirdo tidbits of wrestling lore he’s acquired from years of being a wrestling nerd that helps so much and is so much better than just flatly describing what’s happening in the match, he’s so drat good

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Also the joshis are most permanent in AEW right? They’ve been stand out both shows so far.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Kenny wants AEW to be to joshi what Nitro was to Lucha. Hikaru Shida is fully signed and Riho has a trial run that I think will have her work up until the debut episode of TV. And I think the rest are the result of relationships with the home promotions.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The_Rob posted:

Also the joshis are most permanent in AEW right? They’ve been stand out both shows so far.

hikaru shida is signed full time and moved to the US. Riho is dipping her toe to see if she wants to do the same thing. Sakazaki is probably just gonna be brought in for big shows here and there. No idea what's gonna happen with the Bea Priestly situation since she just moved to japan.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Chris James 2 posted:

Let more people substitute for Marvez pls

When JR was talking about Cody's noggin, he said Marvez would have more news at some point as he was an investigative reporter. Hopefully that means he'll be a backstage interview guy and not a commentator going forward.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The_Rob posted:

edit: karmicknight just did a better job of explaining it but yeah, Hikaru Shida is signed long-term, Riho is signed short-term with the option of long-term if she enjoys America enough to want to live here, and by all accounts they want to make more joshi showcases if not sign more talent outright (like what WCW did with lucha and cruiserweights)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JonAlba/status/1145183329337118720

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

When JR was talking about Cody's noggin, he said Marvez would have more news at some point as he was an investigative reporter. Hopefully that means he'll be a backstage interview guy and not a commentator going forward.

i think i like marvez in that type of role a lot.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

I really liked jungle boy and Darby allin tonight, I’d never seen them outside of gifs before and they killed it

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im completely fine with that.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/jonmoxIeys/status/1145174478621683713

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I know coming into wrestling in a city where Candice LeRae and Johnny Gargano had about a billion matches has spoiled me on this but get with the times, stop being a weird pearl-clutcher

Draxion fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 30, 2019

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Tremendous show.

I had forgotten that Daniel's vs CIMA was on the show and it kindled warm memories of watching random tapes we got in the mail.

Cody's chairshot was real stupid but he got to get himself and Darby over without losing.

Mox vs Janella was exactly what I wanted to be.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I know next to nothing about Joshi, but it reminds me of Sukeban Deka and I like it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/theAdamPage/status/1145194877703151617

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Mox owns and him nodding in satisfaction and respect at the beatdown Kenny handed him loving owned

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!

this is hilarious

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yer alllll riiiiight, boooaah!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Watching Cody's match right now and how quickly the back of his head turned red after the chairshot made me audibly yelp.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
imagine watching world wrestling entertainment in 2019

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kenny being a coach is a cool thing, they'll def get better with a guy like him at the helm.

We won't get intergender matches until Jordynne Grace.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

AEW

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
aew rules

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

We won't get intergender matches until Jordynne Grace.

https://twitter.com/JonAlba/status/1145185460219781121

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

What was Grace's spot that Khan didn't like?

I want that Riho-Yuka match at ALL OUT.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A

E

DUB

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I think watching primarily New Japan for the last year has made me unable to tolerate American wrestling crowds. I can't stand the smarky chants. Last several TakeOvers I've watched I would just mute the audio for awhile any time one started, positive or negative. It just gives me the heebies for some reason. How rowdy was the Fyter Fest crowd and will I need to have my hand on the volume knob at all times when watching?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

What was Grace's spot that Khan didn't like?

I want that Riho-Yuka match at ALL OUT.

She fought Bully Ray a lot, and coming out of that thinking "hmm women fighting men seems bad!" instead of "bully ray loving sucks" is not the best take

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i want D1 and TKbreezy to call an AEW show next

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I am fine with inter gender stuff if it is handled well. Candice LeRae was seen as legitimate over and over. I think the best inter gender stuff was Kari Hojo, Io Shirai and Mayu Iwatani took on Pentagon in LU. Granted 95% of the other inter gender stuff in LU was not handled well in the least.

I just hope if there is a inter gender tag match we won't have it like WWE and if one side makes a tag they both switch.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

AEW deserves it’s own thread tag. Not that Thunder doesn’t also own.

Get rid of all of WWE’s thread tags, they’re not drawing enough to deserve them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great show, intergender wrestling is even greater