Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

HelloSailorSign posted:

Let's get this going!

:siren: DING DING DING DING DING :siren:

*shakes cowbell*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Well, can't very well sit by and watch you active-poster chucklefucks gang up on the peckerwood Repubs in my hood without me.

Ok, your turn

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I can’t donate until after my wife’s back to work but I am happy that we’ve got a good start!

Also if we pick up on the donations, I can imagine the treasurer of the HCDems raising an eyebrow and in their best Patrick Star impersonation WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE!?!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
AND THE FIRST $220 ARE IN

awesome, HelloSailorSign and Integrated Houston!!!

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

YBF and I are coming up with a list of VA Peeps for GoonPAC. I am trying to get the most accurate info I can so I apologize for the wait. In the meantime, make sure this man gets re-elected as one of our Delegates:

https://twitter.com/IbraheemSamirah/status/1164568273914146818

He is the real loving deal and an amazing human. Badass mofo heckled the President at Jamestown.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Nerd Grenade posted:

I’m at a loss for what you’re asking/implying here.

Anyway, we can setup supporter ActBlue pages where we can make it easy to give to all of our candidates or just a few in particular (like a random assortment of Texas Dems for the challenge). If this sounds cool to you guys, I can set up the pages and link them here. This doesn’t require any kind of official registration or anything like that.

I guess I would like to see the full registration done. I believe there is value in setting up the full PAC to filter through, I think it would be valuable for the members here who are active in working with this particular example of public trust.

I'm more than capable in donating within a coordinated effort. I have some stake in Harris County and have often repeated the phrase Blue Texas, Blue Texas,Blue Texas in hopes of banishing Ted Cruz back to the nether realm.

I think there is a specific value in placing trust within a GOONPAC as a real organization. So I hope it gets setup properly. I think it will really show its value when election season heats up and needing a place to channel the rest of the forums energy into.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Does anyone have experience writing formal letters to professional boards or such like? I'm a pharmacist and quite cross that, despite our industry focusing so much energy and effort in pushing immunizations (for $$ more than health, I suspect) my state Board of Pharmacy has been silent on this new hellish refusal to provide flu shots to the concentration camp victims. If I want to properly attempt to shame the board into doing something, do I need to try and make some sort of form letter for other concerned pharmacists to sign? Should I attempt to contact Sanofi, the manufacturer, about donating shots in an effort to prevent an outbreak? I've never done such a thing before and I'd like to make sure I do this correctly and effectively.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Ok- so as I've mentioned before I'd like to feature some sort of "Permanent ForeverWar Challenge" to highlight races/campaigns/causes related to reproductive rights. Aside from the obvious links to pro-choice groups and places like PlannedParenthood (donate to PlannedParenthood right now if you haven't recently, btw) do you guys have any ideas or suggestions for what you'd like to see in GOONPAC?

My original plan to feature all 25 of the Alabama state senators who voted to essentially outlaw all abortions has been stymied by the fact that elections for the whole Alabama state senate are held every 4 years and the last one was in 2018. Obviously we can (and should) have links to the Alabama dems and to the Jones reelection campaign but I want to do something a little bit more granular and involved.

Another idea I got from looking at the list of 25 Egregious Alabama Porkers is to make the monthly challenge some kind of bingo game, where at least some of the points are allotted based on how much of the board you fill. Thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Does anyone have experience writing formal letters to professional boards or such like? I'm a pharmacist and quite cross that, despite our industry focusing so much energy and effort in pushing immunizations (for $$ more than health, I suspect) my state Board of Pharmacy has been silent on this new hellish refusal to provide flu shots to the concentration camp victims. If I want to properly attempt to shame the board into doing something, do I need to try and make some sort of form letter for other concerned pharmacists to sign? Should I attempt to contact Sanofi, the manufacturer, about donating shots in an effort to prevent an outbreak? I've never done such a thing before and I'd like to make sure I do this correctly and effectively.

Emptyquoting this because I think that this kind of question is an excellent reason for this thread to exist. Let's get more direct action-related questions and answers flying! We've raised over $300 so far I'm so happy! Let's try to get to $420 by the end of the week.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Stuff like Planned Parenthood lets folks outside the US donate, so I'll throw in a "hell yeah" just for that. I have a bunch of experience organizing and hosting fundraisers, especially in the form of online streams, artist collaborations and the like, so if there's anything that should be done in that area, I'm your gal.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

A very good idea.

Get PMs and let’s start talking over what you are thinking.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ok- so as I've mentioned before I'd like to feature some sort of "Permanent ForeverWar Challenge" to highlight races/campaigns/causes related to reproductive rights. Aside from the obvious links to pro-choice groups and places like PlannedParenthood (donate to PlannedParenthood right now if you haven't recently, btw) do you guys have any ideas or suggestions for what you'd like to see in GOONPAC?

My original plan to feature all 25 of the Alabama state senators who voted to essentially outlaw all abortions has been stymied by the fact that elections for the whole Alabama state senate are held every 4 years and the last one was in 2018. Obviously we can (and should) have links to the Alabama dems and to the Jones reelection campaign but I want to do something a little bit more granular and involved.

Another idea I got from looking at the list of 25 Egregious Alabama Porkers is to make the monthly challenge some kind of bingo game, where at least some of the points are allotted based on how much of the board you fill. Thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Maybe take those 25 and prioritize 12-13 that are in the poorest and / or most minority heavy districts?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So if anyone has been watching Queer Eye on Netflix, you might remember hippie rear end Mayor of Clarkston, GA Ted Terry.

Well, he's running for Senate in Georgia. I haven't delved too deep into his campaign yet but I remember from the episode of Queer Eye that he was super progressive.

https://twitter.com/tedterry1/status/1154349323800285187

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

That Works posted:

Maybe take those 25 and prioritize 12-13 that are in the poorest and / or most minority heavy districts?

Yes, but the issue still remains that none of these guys are up for reelection in 2020 or have challengers yet. I agree that we should look at Alabama races, but which races? Do we choose those towns and see what's available? Alabama state House members are also under the same system as their senate (which is loving wild :psyduck: ), which means that the ENTIRE STATE LEGISLATURE of Alabama isn't up for vote until 2022. It also means that GOONPAC posters can expect meat to be on the menu in 2021, if we're even around then....

Mahoning posted:

So if anyone has been watching Queer Eye on Netflix, you might remember hippie rear end Mayor of Clarkston, GA Ted Terry.

Added to the list

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 23, 2019

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Primaries For Progress is a great resource for targeting specific winnable districts and pushing the Overton window left. Check them out for good candidates to support!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Primaries For Progress is a great resource for targeting specific winnable districts and pushing the Overton window left. Check them out for good candidates to support!

Added to the guide!

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I'm a Texas goon, formerly from Houston, but now (as of last week) from Austin. I've been planning on getting involved in the 2020 campaigns after I settle in to my new apartment/job but given how liberal Austin is, I'm wondering if there's any campaigns that really need help in this town. Should I volunteer in other parts of Texas? I got a lot of friends in Houston, and I was knocking on doors for Lizzie Fletcher there last year, so I'm thinking of getting involved in Harris county.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Viola the Mad posted:

I'm a Texas goon, formerly from Houston, but now (as of last week) from Austin. I've been planning on getting involved in the 2020 campaigns after I settle in to my new apartment/job but given how liberal Austin is, I'm wondering if there's any campaigns that really need help in this town. Should I volunteer in other parts of Texas? I got a lot of friends in Houston, and I was knocking on doors for Lizzie Fletcher there last year, so I'm thinking of getting involved in Harris county.

When I lived there just down the road to Buda seemed like a different planet. I wonder if there are things there to pursue?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I cannot possibly overstate how much a McKayla Wilkes victory over Steny Hoyer would do to further the "Oh gently caress oh gently caress progressives are really doing this what if I'm next?" narrative. It would take all the ink spilled over AOC and tack on, "Look out, they just keep doing it!"

We had our first weekend of canvassing this weekend and some of these people have never heard from their representative since they were born, that's how long Hoyer has been in office. If you're in the Maryland/DC area PM me and I can get you the phone number to text to volunteer. A ground game will obliterate this centrist jackass. If you live somewhere with a reasonable cost of living McKayla Wilkes campaign can always use the donations.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

LegendaryFrog posted:

Are you in or near Phoenix? If so, I can introduce you to the good activists at Progressive Democrats of America here, who in turn can broaden your connection to the whole left-side political action in the valley.

For now, one of the most important races you can support in this state is Mark Kelly's bid for Senate. Arizona is one of the three must-win senate seats this year for Democrats, and Kelly is about a 50/50 bet against the (appointed) Republican Incumbent Martha McSally at the moment. Arizona is going to feature what is likely to be the most competitive senate race in the country for 2020.

The house and local state races most relevant to you depends on where in the state you live, but if you want to reach out I would be happy to point you to where your energy and time could be put to good use.

Awesome, yeah, I'm in Tempe. My transportation options are limited to "how far can I bike in the heat" and "what can I convince a family member to drive me to", and I have a visceral aversion to phone banking, but there's got to be something for a stay-at-home sadbrain like me to do, right?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Short update: I've spoken with a colleague of mine who works for my state pharmacists' association as a former president and current district representative; per his advice, our Board of Pharmacy wouldn't have the money or influence to use as leverage towards helping get the migrants vaccinated. However, he did point me to contacts in our state department of health and vaccine registry program that have access to resources (shots) that may actually help prevent a flu outbreak in the facilities ICE is using here. I've sent emails to both as they do not have listed phone numbers, so we'll see what happens. According to him, time is an issue and I should go straight to the source considering flu season starts this year on Labor Day.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

I cannot possibly overstate how much a McKayla Wilkes victory over Steny Hoyer would do to further the "Oh gently caress oh gently caress progressives are really doing this what if I'm next?" narrative. It would take all the ink spilled over AOC and tack on, "Look out, they just keep doing it!"

We had our first weekend of canvassing this weekend and some of these people have never heard from their representative since they were born, that's how long Hoyer has been in office. If you're in the Maryland/DC area PM me and I can get you the phone number to text to volunteer. A ground game will obliterate this centrist jackass. If you live somewhere with a reasonable cost of living McKayla Wilkes campaign can always use the donations.

Doing what I can from across the country - donated to Wilkes.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I've sent emails to both as they do not have listed phone numbers, so we'll see what happens.

Nice. Good luck.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
From each according to their no diggity, to each according to their weed.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
$50 more to destroy centrist simps always and everywhere

How much would you pay to watch a Democrat waste cry angry tears of non-understanding? Donate that.

Integrated Houston fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 26, 2019

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

From each according to their no diggity, to each according to their weed.

Is there anything a non pharmacist could do to also push for this? It seems like a potentially huge deal.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GeminiSun posted:

Awesome, yeah, I'm in Tempe. My transportation options are limited to "how far can I bike in the heat" and "what can I convince a family member to drive me to", and I have a visceral aversion to phone banking, but there's got to be something for a stay-at-home sadbrain like me to do, right?

Send me a PM, I'll help you get the details you need to connect with a local group and maybe we can find something.

How do you feel about knocking on doors? I haaaaaaa... [continued at end of post] phone banking, but knocking on doors is pretty fun. It's good as a team because each person can take a side of the street.

As someone who wants to see the party move to the Left, if the only thing you can ever do is show up to meetings, you can go very far. Attendance is the most important skill to move up in the party.

[continued from earlier.] ...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
quote="Captain Monkey" post="497814562"]
Is there anything a non pharmacist could do to also push for this? It seems like a potentially huge deal.
[/quote]

Find out if your state has any facilities ICE is using as a camp, and use that information combined with the statement from CBP that they will not be providing flu shots to contact someone in your state's department of health equivalent about it. The next time you're in a pharmacy and the poor overworked people behind the counter look like they have a moment, ask them about it. From what I can tell, ultimately it's going to require volunteer health professionals to give the shots and someone to provide them. So the more pharmacists, nurses and so on thinking there may be a solution out there and calling their contacts the better. I don't have everything worked out yet because I'm waiting on some responses, but we all know the camps are overcrowded and unsanitary and any health professional worth their student loans knows what that means for infectious disease; the flu in particular. 3 children have died already, that they've admitted , and it's only going to get worse once flu season kicks up and some CBP guard sneezes or worse on one of the imprisoned.

Phoneposting but I'm looking for some statements from MD associations about this, especially now that the NYT and WAPO are covering it.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 27, 2019

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I want to emphasize how important showing up to things can be.

If you were involved in leftist stuff in Arizona, you probably knew Todd Wiandt. Todd didn't have a car, he was extremely poor, he didn't have any special skills. But he was a nice and kind guy and he always showed up to things. He died way too young, from a faulty insulin pump from what I heard.

My point is, if you show up and aren't an rear end in a top hat, you can make a difference. The lovely state of our politics is partially driven by the fact that the people who show up to things are overwhelmingly old people with nothing better to do with their time.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Find out if your state has any facilities ICE is using as a camp, and use that information combined with the statement from CBP that they will not be providing flu shots to contact someone in your state's department of health equivalent about it. The next time you're in a pharmacy and the poor overworked people behind the counter look like they have a moment, ask them about it. From what I can tell, ultimately it's going to require volunteer health professionals to give the shots and someone to provide them. So the more pharmacists, nurses and so on thinking there may be a solution out there and calling their contacts the better. I don't have everything worked out yet because I'm waiting on some responses, but we all know the camps are overcrowded and unsanitary and any health professional worth their student loans knows what that means for infectious disease; the flu in particular. 3 children have died already, that they've admitted , and it's only going to get worse once flu season kicks up and some CBP guard sneezes or worse on one of the imprisoned.

Phoneposting but I'm looking for some statements from MD associations about this, especially now that the NYT and WAPO are covering it.

I mean I’m in Texas. So, yeah there are camps. But I’m on the wrong side so I don’t know if the pharmacists would be able/willing to head out there because some guy started talking to them.

I’ll call the health depot. though and see if I can get any traction.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you were involved in leftist stuff in Arizona, you probably knew Todd Wiandt. Todd didn't have a car, he was extremely poor, he didn't have any special skills. But he was a nice and kind guy and he always showed up to things. He died way too young, from a faulty insulin pump from what I heard.

My point is, if you show up and aren't an rear end in a top hat, you can make a difference. The lovely state of our politics is partially driven by the fact that the people who show up to things are overwhelmingly old people with nothing better to do with their time.

This is so true and I have a perfect example from a few years ago.

The gas station on the corner a few years ago was in bad shape and the company that owns it wanted to tear it down and build a brand new 4000 sq ft gas station/convenience store to replace the lovely rear end little 800 sq ft one. The caveat was they needed alcohol sales approved or they weren’t gonna do it, because my precinct of the township was dry.

So there’s a community meeting at a church a few blocks away, and I only know because the gas station company put a flyer in my door. So I go to the meeting and I’m the youngest one there by at least 25 years. Now I have a background in theater so I’m a decently good public speaker so I was able to basically pick apart all of their dumb rear end NIMBY arguments. poo poo like “well if they sell alcohol there, crime will go up and there will be drunk people roaming the streets!”

Anyways, several people came up to me afterward and told me I changed their mind. The alcohol sales ballot measure passed by like 20 votes. So if I switched like 10ish votes then I single handedly enabled beer and wine sales within walking distance of my house. Which is pretty awesome.

Show up, speak up. Despite it seeming like everyone is dug in with their opinions already, you can change people’s minds.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Captain Monkey posted:

I mean I’m in Texas. So, yeah there are camps. But I’m on the wrong side so I don’t know if the pharmacists would be able/willing to head out there because some guy started talking to them.

I’ll call the health depot. though and see if I can get any traction.

Yeah man, so far that's all there is to it. If Texas works anything like Louisiana your department of health has a hand in the supply chain for vaccines and people asking them about it might get a ball rolling or two. Texas has an immunization registry just like us, although it's called ImmTrac2. Their website may have a directory of contacts to go through like I did with our LINKS. Us pharmacists can't go out and just give shots without someone supplying them and someone else getting CBP to let us in, but given the job market I don't doubt there's enough of us able and willing to volunteer on our side of the equation.

Edit: Just checked; the Texas department of health and human services has contact information for each of their district offices AND lists phone numbers for administration in their directory. I was lucky enough to know the former president of our pharmacists association to ask him for his insight, but the Texas association does have contact info and phone numbers for some of their members as well that may have some experience that could be helpful.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 27, 2019

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Send me a PM, I'll help you get the details you need to connect with a local group and maybe we can find something.

How do you feel about knocking on doors? I haaaaaaa... [continued at end of post] phone banking, but knocking on doors is pretty fun. It's good as a team because each person can take a side of the street.

As someone who wants to see the party move to the Left, if the only thing you can ever do is show up to meetings, you can go very far. Attendance is the most important skill to move up in the party.

[continued from earlier.] ...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate.

Oh, heck, I knew I shoulda sprung for platinum when I had money. I don't have PMs. :negative:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GeminiSun posted:

Oh, heck, I knew I shoulda sprung for platinum when I had money. I don't have PMs. :negative:

Oh weird, you've got the icon for it.

Send me an email with your contact at my throwaway: demgoonsaz@gmail.com and I'll get in touch.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

The Secretary of the Department of Health here in Louisiana responded to my email with a CC to her chief of staff, the head of the office of public health and some of her other colleagues. Some thanks for my concern, but more importantly she said that vaccination is the greatest public health intervention of our time and that the migrants are God's children too; they deserve our care and concern like anyone else. They said they will research the issue and see what they can do.

So, it's not exactly an actionable or committal response, but it's something.

UPDATE: :siren::siren::siren:
I've been asked to be on a call tomorrow with the head of the public health office oh man

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 28, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/ideologicalized/status/1166067876857569280

its_happening.gif but with Bernie instead of pon raul

:getin:

Integrated Houston posted:

$50 more to destroy centrist simps always and everywhere

How much would you pay to watch a Democrat waste cry angry tears of non-understanding? Donate that.

:poolgirl:

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

The Secretary of the Department of Health here in Louisiana responded to my email with a CC to her chief of staff, the head of the office of public health and some of her other colleagues. Some thanks for my concern, but more importantly she said that vaccination is the greatest public health intervention of our time and that the migrants are God's children too; they deserve our care and concern like anyone else. They said they will research the issue and see what they can do.

So, it's not exactly an actionable or committal response, but it's something.

UPDATE: :siren::siren::siren:
I've been asked to be on a call tomorrow with the head of the public health office oh man

Keep it up Doctor!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

It’s good to see Red Ranger managed to find themselves a calling after Rita and Zed we’re defeated, it’s always difficult for celebrities to readjust to normal life.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Yeah, I knew Todd. He had a limitless supply of enthusiasm for progressive causes and showed up literally everywhere (I loved his regaling explanations of why Bernie would have won when I would drive him home from DACA events).

It sounds like we have a few Arizona people committed to the GOONPAC. Tonight, the Koch funded Props 105 and 106 got beat in Phoenix 65/35. Regina Romero just got (effectively) elected as a strong progressive Mayor for Tucson. There is a ton of opportunity here to turn this state around, and we are already seeing great signs of it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
People should also check out https://www.dataforprogress.org and sign up for the Give Smart email list. Give Smart has been very respectful of my inbox, I've only noticed about one email a week if that, and it's usually got interesting data and analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Speaking of where goons are located, maybe we can use one of the placeholder posts to group any goons by state/region in case anyone wants to organize, volunteer, or even just attend a rally together. Just an idea.