Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the first women's champion?
This poll is closed.
Riho 89 51.15%
Nyla 70 40.23%
Someone else 15 8.62%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

gently caress that bullshit about Mox not needing the title. That's not how it works. Aaaaaagh. :sigh:

Mox doesn't need the belt, not because he's over without, but because this is his art run and he doesn't need it to the tell stories yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Guys.

When Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy eventually win the tag titles, it’s going to be rad.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't expect/need Mox to be forever champ but if they don't make him a champ early and keep him consistently at that general level then AEW is a slightly less idiotic WWE.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midnightghoul posted:

Name them you coward

CM Punk

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I do think its cool that AEW is not only building a tag division but also a trios division

My only big complaint of the night is how gooberish it is for Cody to enter a bloodfeud with star trek cosplay

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

gently caress that bullshit about Mox not needing the title. That's not how it works. Aaaaaagh. :sigh:

Not to try and dogpile you, but I never understood that notion that "My favorite wrestler must hole the top belt!" I knew in my heart that neither Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn, nor Magnum Tokyo were ever gonna hold the WCW WHC, Taka Michinoku, Val Venis, and again Perry Saturn were never gonna be WWF WHC and that's ok. The only times a big show main event program has ever interested me was Bret Hart vs Shawn or Austin. I liked Austin as a character, but he was never as good after the piledriver injury, and the Rock was 90% character and promo and dogshit in the ring. And Rock's promos do not hold up today at all, in almost every way they're trash. I only ever saw PPVs months later through VHS rentals, I never would've been able to convince my parents to spend that kind of money on a wrassling show, so that made week-to-week the most important aspect and the biggest draw of TV wrestling to me, even now. I've always been a midcard workrate fan more than anything, the broader-audience style matches that have traditionally gone on in the US/CA's big promotions' main events were never the draw for me. I also had the overall unimportance of my faves getting belts reinforced by listening to Piper's podcast when fans would always ask him if were disappointed by not getting a long run with a belt: his opinion was "If I'm main eventing, you pay me at the level of a main event. You can keep that belt because I don't want to have to haul that poo poo around everywhere I go" to paraphrase. Belts are for the true marks, in the ring or out of it, the goal for those involved in putting on a show should be getting paid as much as possible from carny promoters. (Bret and Hogan are marks)

Edit: Do you love Mox less because he doesn't have a title? A title doesn't make someone over or not; look at Reigns and Danielson. I get wanting external validation for your opinion on something you enjoy, but the man is getting paid and tearing it up having a blast putting on the best matches he's had in years (sans MRSA treatment/surgery.) I freely admit that my trying to talk you through this is also me trying to talk myself through the befuddled Kylie Rae situation and that she's out of AEW if not pro wrestling. And hell the overall goal for every wrestler should be Brock's situation: as much money as possible for the least amount of work/fewest bumps taken. And gently caress Vince McMahon.

Edit 2: And no love of Mox can keep him at a WHC/main event level forever. That's very unreasonable.

smikey fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 1, 2019

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do think its cool that AEW is not only building a tag division but also a trios division

My only big complaint of the night is how gooberish it is for Cody to enter a bloodfeud with star trek cosplay

He's such a big loving nerd I loved it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Mid 30s is generally where wrestlers peak, what are you talking about?

People have been spoiled by Okada, Ospreay, and Dragon Lee peaking at like 26

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Spikegal posted:

He's such a big loving nerd I loved it.

I am all for doing goofy referential outfits but it seems weird that Cody would charge into the boardroom and sign the contract without reading it because he cant wait to get his hands on Spears but then he takes the time to tell all his friends to dress up as starfleet

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That doesn't counter his argument though

His point is complete nonsense. A 3-6 year run from a top guy is fantastic. Anyone saying not to build a promotion around someone in their mid 30s has lost their mind. It would be like saying to transition away from Flair in his hottest run. It's even crazier than some of the literal dumbest people in wrestling history who thought he was too old at 39.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I also find the dynamic around Cody's posse fascinating in terms of booking

Like, MJF being a total bastard but also genuinely a good friend who cares about Cody is really interesting

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, MJF being a total bastard but also genuinely a good friend who cares about Cody is really interesting

No PAC is the bastard

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

The Dark Order and Page should hang out as they all need to figure out how to get over.

I hate to say it because it's cynical, but I really don't think they'll ever win over a significant amount of fans just based on how they look. Between Uno's size in general, Stu looking like a scrawny geek in comparison, and them having a bunch of minions that look like they came out of American Horror Story season 1, it's a lot to overcome just to be able to focus on the actual in-ring match for the average fan that doesn't know a thing about their history pre-2019

Add in that they were brought in in a way that didn't help at all (introduced via lights going out and nobody knowing who they were and commentary not helping because they couldn't legally say "they're just Super Smash Bros from PWG", and then their next appearance after being a tron promo half the audience couldn't hear clearly when Uno talked through his mask), and it's fair to think they never stood a chance of winning everyone over even with great matches. And for the record, I thought that triple threat at FftF Was Great

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The best thing about AEW right now is how many people have legitimate claims to the first match against Jericho and how many people are waiting in the dugout for their shot. Right now Cody and PAC have high profile wins, Omega, Shawn Spears, and Hangman have high profile losses they need to make up for, and MJF and Jimmy Havoc are midcarders that can put in for a match for the title. That's seven wrestlers plus Mox waiting to get off the injury list in your title picture.

The women's division is building up the same way. Nyla vs Riho isn't really what I would've built to, but Shida vs Martinez, Kong vs Kong, and Bea vs Baker are all standout singles matches you can have to build up contenders, and with an Impact and TJPW partnerships there's so many other great girls you can have in singles matches

The tag-team division is crazy too, Private Party vs LAX could main event any show.

AEW has some serious momentum

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

His point is complete nonsense. A 3-6 year run from a top guy is fantastic. Anyone saying not to build a promotion around someone in their mid 30s has lost their mind. It would be like saying to transition away from Flair in his hottest run. It's even crazier than some of the literal dumbest people in wrestling history who thought he was too old at 39.

Hell just look at WWE and Cena recently. They wound him down as a top guy way to early and it led him to movies and while it's not the only reason WWE business is down it's a part of it

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What's old is new again, Sting and Lex mid 90s.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They should give the belt to PAC because he's the best.

And then they should never take it off him.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

smikey posted:

Not to try and dogpile you, but I never understood that notion that "My favorite wrestler must hole the top belt!" I knew in my heart that neither Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn, nor Magnum Tokyo were ever gonna hold the WCW WHC, Taka Michinoku, Val Venis, and again Perry Saturn were never gonna be WWF WHC and that's ok. The only times a big show main event program has ever interested me was Bret Hart vs Shawn or Austin. I liked Austin as a character, but he was never as good after the piledriver injury, and the Rock was 90% character and promo and dogshit in the ring. And Rock's promos do not hold up today at all, in almost every way they're trash. I only ever saw PPVs months later through VHS rentals, I never would've been able to convince my parents to spend that kind of money on a wrassling show, so that made week-to-week the most important aspect and the biggest draw of TV wrestling to me, even now. I've always been a midcard workrate fan more than anything, the broader-audience style matches that have traditionally gone on in the US/CA's big promotions' main events were never the draw for me. I also had the overall unimportance of my faves getting belts reinforced by listening to Piper's podcast when fans would always ask him if were disappointed by not getting a long run with a belt: his opinion was "If I'm main eventing, you pay me at the level of a main event. You can keep that belt because I don't want to have to haul that poo poo around everywhere I go" to paraphrase. Belts are for the true marks, in the ring or out of it, the goal for those involved in putting on a show should be getting paid as much as possible from carny promoters. (Bret and Hogan are marks)

Here's the reason I'm invested in it. I loving knew Jon Moxley was a top level star years before WWE finally pulled the trigger. They did it and he was red hot until they kneecapped him with poo poo written material and poo poo feuds until he left. He comes to AEW as the hottest act on the planet and people are already talking about reasons why he shouldn't have the title when he's still the hottest act on the planet and has everything the company needs to get off to a hot start while being a full timer and reasonably young. Cody and Kenny also kinda fit those criteria but Mox is a hotter act.

It's not just about me being cranky my favorite wrestler isn't champion, it's that I want to see my favorite wrestler get one legit run at the top somewhere before it's said and done and everything is in place for AEW to do that.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They should give the belt to PAC because he's the best.

And then they should never take it off him.
PAC can't defend the title for 2 years because of visa issues

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Im not sure where the "Dark Order isnt over" stuff comes from tbh

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I am exhausted and dehydrated and a ball of sweat but goddamn that show was amazing. Worth every penny to fly in. The cracker barrel match was some of the most fun I've ever had and I'm psyched Havoc won it.

Totally humblebragging but the VIP package included a picture near the ring. They sprung it on us when we walked out that we could hold the title. I somehow ended up first in line so I guess I'm the first guy to hold the AEW championship because technically correct is the best kid of correct. :smug:

Its really loving heavy.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Is Kylie Ray okay? Some of the reports coming out right now are legit worrying...

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Probably the crowd's near-complete silence during their matches thus far.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The part where a dude put a bunch of thumbtacks on the business end of a skateboard, got on the top rope, and loving ollied onto the back of another dude may actually be my favorite pro wrestling moment of all time. Jesus loving christ

Also gently caress you all that match made me literally curl up into a ball and hide away from the stream

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Critical posted:

I am exhausted and dehydrated and a ball of sweat but goddamn that show was amazing. Worth every penny to fly in. The cracker barrel match was some of the most fun I've ever had and I'm psyched Havoc won it.

Totally humblebragging but the VIP package included a picture near the ring. They sprung it on us when we walked out that we could hold the title. I somehow ended up first in line so I guess I'm the first guy to hold the AEW championship because technically correct is the best kid of correct. :smug:

Its really loving heavy.

All wrestling belts are a lot heavier than they look, it's why I always used to squirm at beltshots to the head.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I also liked how the cracker barrel barrels got the steel steps treatment by Jimmy Havoc treating them like they are 500 lbs and then Darby Allin just tossing it around like it was weightless

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Weren't they supposed to unveil the women's belt?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

fatherofmustard posted:

Weren't they supposed to unveil the women's belt?

they did

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've been watching CHIKARA since 2008 or so and this is probably the least exciting I've ever seen Stu and Uno, honestly. They've dropped a lot of the flashy gimmicks of SSB and endearing spots they had in PWG as a face team and we're left with a pretty out of shape Uno and a Stupified who can't do the high spots he used to because it'd put them over as babyfaces. I love them both to death but this gimmick really isn't working for them.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Is Kylie Ray okay? Some of the reports coming out right now are legit worrying...
Conflicting reports, but it sounds like she had a massive anxiety attack and doesn't know if she wants to wrestle anymore. The other reports make it sound like she had some kind of career ending injury.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

I've been watching CHIKARA since 2008 or so and this is probably the least exciting I've ever seen Stu and Uno, honestly. They've dropped a lot of the flashy gimmicks of SSB and endearing spots they had in PWG as a face team and we're left with a pretty out of shape Uno and a Stupified who can't do the high spots he used to because it'd put them over as babyfaces. I love them both to death but this gimmick really isn't working for them.
Conflicting reports, but it sounds like she had a massive anxiety attack and doesn't know if she wants to wrestle anymore. The other reports make it sound like she had some kind of career ending injury.

Lord. I’ve had anxiety attacks that felt like heart attacks, so either one sucks. Poor Kylie.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

MassRafTer posted:

You don't build your company around a guy in his mid 30s and hope for a 3-6 year run. For example they started grooming Flair for the title when he was... 28. Flair effectively carried JCP, the NWA and later WCW for nearly 30 years. That is when and why you build your company around someone. If you don't understand that then you don't understand the basic fundamentals of running a promotion.

In hindsight for example WWE should have totally build around Moxley instead of Roman. But I feel they would have fumbled that no matter who they picked.

AEW has a lot of young, great talent on the roster that they can build to carry the promotion long term. The idea is to use the older guys to help build them to be big stars. For example Flair wouldn't have been able to be who he became without guys like Bobo Brazil, Dusty Rhodes, Buddy Rogers and Harley Race. Once he was established later he did the same for guys like Sting, Vader and Steamboat.

Someone who is established and hot doesn't need a championship to draw interest. Would a championship helped the last couple of Cody matches? What about the Moxley/Omega match? A championship is just a prop that you use to best help your promotion and elevate feuds/talent and draws.

Again if you don't understand any of this you don't understand the fundamentals.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I'm going back and picking up matches I missed, and the Best Friends/Dark Order match is a solid 3/5

Also does freshly squeezed refer to the zit on Cassidy's chest? poo poo was gross.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
AA still a good promo

https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1168038929271885825?s=20

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
That show was loving great and my party was a huge hit, everybody had a great time and there will be another one come Nov.

The group that watched included:
MY BOYFRIEND: Never watched wrestling in his life, always found it distasteful, loved the show and was actively upset that there wasn't a show to watch yet though he is gonna be watching all the BTE youtubes and previous shows. Nyla and Private Party were his favorites followed by Darby. Is posting gifs of Darby Donkey Konging himself on Facebook right now.
Childhood Friends: Most have never watched wrestling, the only one who had quit watching WWE over a decade ago "because it loving sucked." Everyone loved the show, a few were excited about television, and the lapsed WWE guy is watching BTE/old PPV clips as I type this. Jurassic Express, Kenny/PAC, and the Cracker Barrel Country Fried Deathmatch were the favorites with them. Lapsed fan was stoked Jericho won because Jericho was a favorite in his childhood.

If they can carry this into television they're looking at a loving mountain of money imo.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I loving love Arn Anderson and he is a loving #1 title contender if he wants to get back in the loving ring honestly

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I love how you can hear the crown chanting in the background.

I do have to say I was never big on Cody but he is really magnetic in person and his passion for all of this just radiates out of him.

And I lost my loving mind when Arn came out. I dont think I've yelled that loud ever.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I wasn't sold on Cody until his stretch of matches from All-In to tonight. He's what Triple H wishes he could be, Cody made me care about the NWA title because of what it meant to him, he made me sit on the edge of my seat for a Goldust match again, he played the perfect roll against turtle boy, and he had another great match tonight against Shawn Spears who I absolutely believed was just a good hand.

Cody's going to be the perfect guy to have blood feuds and brawls with. Out of The Elite guys I cared the least about Cody but he's probably had the best stories and moments so far.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Five Star Cody does it again.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKY9umhJmxU

Cody and Tony talking to the crowd after the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Critical posted:

And I lost my loving mind when Arn came out. I dont think I've yelled that loud ever.

He did such a simple and obvious spot but it hit like a loving brick. Jesus loving christ.

And then when Spears hit Cody with that loving belt right across the chest - and Cody out of loving nowhere kicked him right in the loving face.

Hoesntly I have never loving seen that in pro wrestling. It blew me the gently caress away. I know Cody owns the company, but honestly, if him being in that spot drives him to go above and beyond, again and again, again and again, to try and prove himself worthy, then oh my god. That loving Mirror Universe Picard deep cut was loving incredible. Cody has taken the responsibility of the place he's in and just loving aimed for the loving rafters with it, and it's been just awe-inspiring. I always want to see what he, and his crew, does next. I really can't say that for anyone he's left behind in WWE, because obviously it's impossible.