Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Did anything ever come out about why people think he's the worst to have to work with or was it just typical "this guy has beliefs outside the corporate machine" wwe name tarnishing

I have a vague recollection of a video of Kevin Owens talking about how Sami was the kind of guy, when talking about spots in a match with his opponent, wouldn't let the guy get in a word and would kind of bowl over any other input and was very steadfast in his opinions about matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I have a vague recollection of a video of Kevin Owens talking about how Sami was the kind of guy, when talking about spots in a match with his opponent, wouldn't let the guy get in a word and would kind of bowl over any other input and was very steadfast in his opinions about matches.

I can see how that would be annoying - you'd think it would need to be give and take unless someone is just really bad at calling matches or planning them out

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I was momentarily honored. The new title is good too!

Edit: Sami Zayn is the most good human being:

https://twitter.com/SamiZayn/status/1256370536168505344

Sami vs Titus in "who is the goodest boy" match.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like Sami's always kind of had a rep for being "that guy" who like doesn't get why he's annoying people or talking over them or being obtuse. Not a bad dude at all, just the guy in your group of friends who can drive you up the wall at times and won't get why.

In a corporate cult environment I could see that being a thing and with so many different people. Especially in a culture where people get in trouble because they didn't follow some nonsense locker room decorum or didn't take your hazing smiling. And yeah, his very open politics and ethics that are at odds with a lot of people in WWE and WWE itself has to be a thing.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Did anything ever come out about why people think he's the worst to have to work with or was it just typical "this guy has beliefs outside the corporate machine" wwe name tarnishing

Hasn't come out so assume the latter

Owens is obviously his best friend and has told stories before about Sami being irritating at times/in certain situations but that's with knowing him for decades. You would think that if he was annoying in pitching ideas for example, that's something that'd be immediately apparent and they'd be mad about/have been mad about years ago, when he was first starting in the company, or first on the main roster

The timing of the report, coupled with the lack of TV time for him (and scanning a results recap right now, that lack of TV time apparently continues today), makes me think he was just open about thinking it's dumb to do/work shows at this time mid-plague. He's definitely not been shy about what or how he feels before, and this isn't like where he'd get a pass from them for doing a Syrian charity fund while everyone else does the Saudi show he's not allowed to go to (even if he wanted to) because of his Syrian heritage

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

someone posted the podcast where sami zayn described a story of being extremely inconsiderate for his own gain in a personal setting, without even realizing how annoying he was coming across as. he just thought it was an interesting thing to tell. I'm sorry that i don't know where that link is, or who posted it, but maybe they will magically appear and do it once again. you have to believe. in other words stac goat is correct about all of it in attributing it to wwe in many ways but also to sami himself in other ways.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Sami could be a stubborn, annoying guy sometimes but it being a thing right now I'd probably guess is a case of the old "Its voluntary to work right now but if you don't we're gonna think you're a bad team player and trash you, especially if you're a champion."

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hey I've lied. the thing that was linked was not sami on a podcast. i had never seen this video before, and only remembered the same story but with sami telling it while on jericho's podcast because they are both big rock fans. here is the thing that was linked and it was linked by realfoxy.

https://streamable.com/1nsg

i respect very much of what sami zayn has done. you may find the podcast on your own if you like, in jericho's back catalogue, and if you love sami zayn, you will probably find it very charming. i mean no harm to anyone. please don't attack me at all.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 2, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Smackdown Results 5/1:
  • Detailed Results here.
  • Daniel Bryan defeated Baron Corbin by DQ when Corbin used a ladder on Bryan. Bryan got the best of the post-match brawl but then got jumped by Cesaro and Nakamura who appear to be aligned with Corbin now. No mention of Sami Zayn at all.
  • Braun came to the ring for a promo and was interrupted by The Firefly Funhouse, and Bray reading the story of "The Black Sheep".
  • Sheamus defeated Leon Ruff in a singles match.
  • The 4th part of Jeff Hardy's video series aired and it was announced he would be back next week. Sheamus promised Michael Cole he would be there too.
  • Carmella defeated Mandy Rose to qualify for the Money in the Bank ladder match, thanks to Sonya coming out and talking poo poo over a live mic. Sonya beat the poo poo out of Mandy post-match.
  • Otis checked on Mandy backstage as she was attended to by medics, and got mad at Dolph Ziggler checking on her.
  • The Forgotten Sons defeated The New Day (C) in a non-title tag match.
  • The Men's and Women's Money in the Bank ladder matches on the PPV will take place simultaneously.
  • Tamina and Lacey brawled with Sasha Banks and Bayley backstage after Bayley's attempted ambush of Tamina went wrong.
  • Otis defeated Dolph Ziggler to qualify for the Money in the Bank ladder match.
  • GDT Discussion here.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Smackdown Results 5/1:
  • The Men's and Women's Money in the Bank ladder matches on the PPV will take place simultaneously.

This is going to be an absolute mess and I'm really looking forward to it.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Smackdown Results 5/1:

Ha ha, what.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Time to see if they learned the right lessons from the last cinematic matches.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its gonna be funny a few months from now when there's been like 20 cinematic matches and WWE's killed the uniqueness of it entirely.

I also look forward to a PPV card that's basically just a weird anthology movie and barely has any resemblance to a wrestling card.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
WWE's Chris Master's Masterpiece theater.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Its gonna be funny a few months from now when there's been like 20 cinematic matches and WWE's killed the uniqueness of it entirely.

I also look forward to a PPV card that's basically just a weird anthology movie and barely has any resemblance to a wrestling card.

I'll allow it if the PPV is a cross over of every WWE movie's cinematic universe.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'll allow it if the PPV is a cross over of every WWE movie's cinematic universe.

Is this movies with wrestlers, (Santa with Muscles, End Game, i.e. that one with Kurt Angle as a rapist/murderer/clown etc.) or explicitly WWE movies, (The Marine, See No Evil etc.)?

This is important.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if both the mens and womens money in the banks winners meet at the top of a ladder and kiss each other and then jump off the wwe headquarters together, i will watch wwe. if two losers or a winner and a loser do that then it does not count unless they are both participants in the same match. then it does count. Those are the rules

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
When the photos leaked with two briefcases above the ring, did people expect anything else?

STAC Goat posted:

Honestly, whatever promotion is your favorite "I got coronovirus because I went to a wrestling show" has to be pretty high up on the list of stupid loving reasons.

The next time I go to an AEW event I’m making a “I got Coronavirus at Raw!” sign

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

81sidewinder posted:

No way this happens. Buildings at 25 percent capacity can't possibly be profitable. Spreading fans out like that is going to look dumb as hell, so it's not like its going to create some interesting ambiance for tv or anything.

Some money is better than no money.

Have you ever been to an kids ice show? They tarp off half the arena, and then if it’s a week day like 1/4 of the open half has people

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Is this movies with wrestlers, (Santa with Muscles, End Game, i.e. that one with Kurt Angle as a rapist/murderer/clown etc.) or explicitly WWE movies, (The Marine, See No Evil etc.)?

This is important.

I'll say movies with wrestlers who were active at the time the movie was made. It opens it up but keeps out the bad Rock action movies.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I have to be honest, I saw what the mitb matches are supposed to be and I'm probably going to watch them because a bunch of wrestlers fighting their way up a giant office building sounds hilarious

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Jerusalem posted:

Smackdown Results 5/1:
  • The Forgotten Sons defeated The New Day (C) in a non-title tag match.

I think this was clean* too, oh how the mighty have fallen :laffo:

*I wasn't paying much attention

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Astro7x posted:

Some money is better than no money.

Have you ever been to an kids ice show? They tarp off half the arena, and then if it’s a week day like 1/4 of the open half has people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeVIVPtbZqw

This is not posted as an argument or anything, I just wanted to post Alvarez talking about Frozen on Ice.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

IcePhoenix posted:

I have to be honest, I saw what the mitb matches are supposed to be and I'm probably going to watch them because a bunch of wrestlers fighting their way up a giant office building sounds hilarious

It's a brilliant concept for a match that I do not for one millisecond trust WWE not to gently caress up and make it just kind of boring.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
How are the forgotten sons still employed? And going over New Day no less?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Heh. Gunner's stable is on Smackdown getting wins over the New Day.

WWE's 2020 of TNA continues.

Bumper Stickup posted:

How are the forgotten sons still employed? And going over New Day no less?

I mean what about the Forgotten Sons doesn't scream "pushed on SD on Fox over the New Day"? Just wait until they turn face and reunite with Lacey.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

It's going to be good at first, then drag on for far too long, and then someone we all hate will win both, so get ready for the Nia Jax and King Corbin era... or maybe the 6th TBA man will be Brock again, and Rey pisses himself ala Ali spot... (hopefully 6th man is Hacker Ali and he gets some redemption_

Obviously it should be Bryan, Black, or Otis winning, preferably the latter 2, because Bryan doesn't need a suitcase to get a chapionship shot.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

MITB sounds awesome and I think it'll be pretty good, it will be at the very least unique in history. I trust in Bryan Danielson to make it work.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I hope they do the Halloween Havoc 95 spot with Nia Jax but it’s off of the actual roof

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Can't wait for Brock to fly in on a helicopter and unhook the briefcase without ever stepping in the building.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

karmicknight posted:

WWE's Chris Master's Masterpiece theater.

Counterpoint - Monster Chiller Horror Theatre.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

God help whoever does the falling down stairs spot. I think I've heard stories of hollywood stuntmen saying the falling down stairs spot is always one of the most dangerous/painful.

cool vid of how stuntmen train for it, no way anyones putting in that kind of training for the WWE if they get the falling down stair spot, it'll be just like Orton pushing Mick Foley down a flight, no big deal :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH9WxnE17fA

Hirez fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 2, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

My prediction: The men and women accidently grab the wrong cases at the same time.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Otis on a ladder :allears:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

the escape goat posted:

Otis on a ladder :allears:

The big show spot where his foot goes through the ladder rung and Corey Graves says it's because he's so fat.

King laughs and laughs and laughs

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Malcolm Excellent posted:

The big show spot where his foot goes through the ladder rung and Corey Graves says it's because he's so fat.

King laughs and laughs and laughs

From that point on he will be known as Fatty O

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Now we can throw somebody off the top of the building because Otis will be there at the bottom to catch them.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hirez posted:

cool vid of how stuntmen train for it, no way anyones putting in that kind of training for the WWE if they get the falling down stair spot, it'll be just like Orton pushing Mick Foley down a flight, no big deal :v:

Hey this was cool, thanks for sharing it! It looks kinda fun on carpet but then they take the carpet away and :stare:

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Gumball Gumption posted:

My prediction: The men and women accidently grab the wrong cases at the same time.

this is some Feast Or My Fired poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Let's recount the last decade's Money in the Bank contract holders.

2010 - Jack Swagger, Kane, and Miz. Swagger had potential but immediately lost all charisma after cashing in, in a blatant attempt to copy Jericho's gimmick at the time, which he was not capable of pulling off. Kane is hardly selling tickets in 2010 and he had a very bad feud with Undertaker as a result, but it's a nice note in the history books that he didn't retire with just a 1 day world title reign. Miz has never been a good wrestler but in 2010 he was also not a very good character yet, and this came about 6-7 years too early. Spent an inordinate amount of his reign feuding with Jerry Lawler.

2011 - Daniel Bryan and Alberto Del Rio. Bryan is an all time great and I don't think there's anybody who would argue that this was a bad decision. Del Rio is a shitbag and not actually that good of a main eventer, but these are things we did not know in 2011 and so you had hope that he'd make for a good heel champion. He did not.

2012 - Dolph Ziggler and John Cena. Ziggler was a talented, charismatic midcarder with a ton of potential upside, and by the time he cashed in he was red hot and everyone wanted it more than basically anything in the world at that point. Had WWE actually gotten behind him I don't think people would have nearly as much of an "ugh go away ziggler" feeling about him these days. John Cena was essentially used as the first person to ever fail to win a title via cash-in, because he was more than capable of recovering from it, and it basically didn't hurt him whatsoever. Still, nobody really wanted Cena to win the briefcase.

2013 - Damien Sandow and Randy Orton. Sandow was a good pick for the briefcase win. He was essentially fed to the wolves and had his credibility permanently tanked by losing his cash-in to a wounded John Cena. Similar to Cena in the prior year, nobody really wanted Orton to win the briefcase. Cash-in kicks off the road to WM30 though so it's a mixed bag that ends up being a net positive for most people.

2014 - Seth Rollins. Perfect winner, an upper midcard heel with a crew of goons backing him and a fiery babyface trying to thwart his every move for the next 9-10 months. Amazing cash-in that unfortunately led to an incredibly weird and poorly booked run as champion.

2015 - Sheamus. Despite previously being a credible presence on the roster, Sheamus spent most of 2015 doing a lot of jack poo poo and losing, being a nobody going into the match, a nobody coming out of the match, and only slightly above a nobody when cashing in. He almost immediately lost it back afterward, and the cosmic ballet went on.

2016 - Dean Ambrose. A good winner who should've already been champion a year and a half prior. They pulled the trigger far too late with him and by the time he finally won the briefcase people were excited, but it would end up being just another chapter in the 5 year saga of Dean and Seth's Wacky Adventure.

2017 - CarmellaJames Ellsworth and Baron Corbin. gently caress off.

2018 - Alexa Bliss and Braun Strowman. There were choices other than Alexa people probably would've liked to see (Ember, Becky, Sasha) but Alexa was a perfectly fine briefcase winner, and was demonstrated basic awareness and forethought in her cash-in, which is more than most wrestlers are capable of in kayfabe. Braun did not need the briefcase, was essentially a sacrifice to get Roman over (which didn't work), and the cash-in was an absolute nightmare clusterfuck.

2019 - Bayley and Brock Lesnar. Bayley's fine. Brock though? gently caress off.