Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Isn’t there kind of an implication that Frog got offed between the DS version’s extra ending cinematic and how drastically the Masamune changed by the time of this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I always parsed that as the Masamune just being stolen during the sacking of Guardia in 1001 or whatever time it was done. The fact that it's such a lovely thing to happen is more than enough to supercharge the Enmity and make it a legendary doom sword in like 12 years.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Guess I'm going to watch this. I just suffered through all of the yiik LP for some reason so I guess you like owe it to me or something.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Here's the most interesting take I've ever seen about Chrono Cross. Edit: Maybe check out the author's Chrono Trigger take as well.

SettingSun posted:

I've held the belief that this game is really good and compelling right up until you explore the Dead Sea. Then the game drops off a cliff into convolution. I should really play the game again and confirm this.

I was interested in the game's story up until you open the door in Chronopolis.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 9, 2020

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 3 is up

Commentary On

No Commentary

A couple takeaways:

1) A new world means new lizards to kill;

2) Some lizards you can't kill;

3) The game definitely dislikes Poshul as much as everyone else does;

4) I'm actually have a lot of fun still. It's not the deepest gameplay but it's better than a lot of RPGs.

5) There's a full minute of me just losing it laughing at a stupid joke.

Scabs was asleep in her basket all day. Sorry for the lack of meows.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 13, 2020

RosarioImpale
Oct 27, 2007
The 3rd episode is showing as unavailable.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

RosarioImpale posted:

The 3rd episode is showing as unavailable.

Sorry about that, it's fixed now.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Welcome to the party, uh...checks notes...Kid? That's what you went with? Okay.

She is, indeed, Australian. And now, for whatever reason, I'm convinced she's related to Janey Springs from Borderlands TPS.

I'd also like to point out that this game leans hard into "anime measurements." I'm 5'6", and when I hit 127lbs, it's because my digestive system shut down and I couldn't digest food for most of a year. I looked just this side of skeletal. lol at the idea that this 99lbs "slender" teenager is capable of dagger-slashing soldiers and weird airborne fish things.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I'd also like to point out that this game leans hard into "anime measurements." I'm 5'6", and when I hit 127lbs, it's because my digestive system shut down and I couldn't digest food for most of a year. I looked just this side of skeletal. lol at the idea that this 99lbs "slender" teenager is capable of dagger-slashing soldiers and weird airborne fish things.

Oh no that's far too light. I hate that thought.

Maybe gravity is less there.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

It's a translation error, it should be 99 kg. Her bones are made of lead.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It’s funny how the objectively correct option is to tell her to screw off the first time you meet her, considering you can ONLY get Leena as a party member that way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Regalingualius posted:

It’s funny how the objectively correct option is to tell her to screw off the first time you meet her, considering you can ONLY get Leena as a party member that way.

The game does that bullshit multiple times, look at how you get Glenn.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I wouldn't be surprised if those choices were part of an attempt to add replayability.

By the way, I really like how sarcastic the strategy guide is.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

MikeJF posted:

The game does that bullshit multiple times, look at how you get Glenn.

I think the game just hates Kid.

And Poshul, I guess.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
At least the Glenn thing is an actual story branch choice. The Leena thing is just really dumb.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

DeTosh posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if those choices were part of an attempt to add replayability.

By the way, I really like how sarcastic the strategy guide is.

If there’s demand for more strategy guide scans, lmk. I don’t want to run ahead and spoil the LP, but I can start skimming the current events to see if the Brady guide has any hidden snark gems.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Especially since you’ve probably been conditioned by other JRPGs into just expecting that you’re going to be railroaded into having to take Kid into your party even if you say no. And even after you actually reject her, you still have to double back (with no prompting) to get Leena in that tiny window of time.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

Especially since you’ve probably been conditioned by other JRPGs into just expecting that you’re going to be railroaded into having to take Kid into your party even if you say no. And even after you actually reject her, you still have to double back (with no prompting) to get Leena in that tiny window of time.

No, it's automatic. You transition to waking up at not!your house after that conversation no matter what.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

If there’s demand for more strategy guide scans, lmk. I don’t want to run ahead and spoil the LP, but I can start skimming the current events to see if the Brady guide has any hidden snark gems.

I certainly wouldn't mind, but we should probably leave this up to GrandmaParty.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Oh hey a new Chrono Cross LP, this is a chance for me to talk about why the games writing is such a mess.

So on a basic level, Masato Kato (the script writer for Chrono Trigger and the head writer for Cross and Radical Dreamers) had over the course of writing Radical Dreamers become infatuated with the idea of writing so fast that he would begin to outpace himself and start to get surprised by the twists he would write. This was something that came about because of how rushed RD was, but when he then was finally able to work on redoing Radical Dreamers as a full large scale RPG he still kept the idea of writing to outpace himself and surprise himself as one of the main goals for how to write it. This of course is an idea that while it may work for something smaller scale where things don't need to be about saving the world and time itself, is a horrible way to write out a large scale RPG because you end up with a game that just keeps tossing nonsense at you because the writer kept trying to surprise himself with how it all tied together.

I feel like also mentioning that he basically wanted to redo Radical Dreamers as a full RPG like immediately after finishing it and even tried to turn Xenogears into a Chrono game but was shot down by the other writers on that.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

DeTosh posted:

I certainly wouldn't mind, but we should probably leave this up to GrandmaParty.

I always clear such things with Grandma before posting. I’m not a monster.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

I always clear such things with Grandma before posting. I’m not a monster.

I want you all to have as much fun as possible. Go for it!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Black Mage Knight posted:

Oh hey a new Chrono Cross LP, this is a chance for me to talk about why the games writing is such a mess.

So on a basic level, Masato Kato (the script writer for Chrono Trigger and the head writer for Cross and Radical Dreamers) had over the course of writing Radical Dreamers become infatuated with the idea of writing so fast that he would begin to outpace himself and start to get surprised by the twists he would write. This was something that came about because of how rushed RD was, but when he then was finally able to work on redoing Radical Dreamers as a full large scale RPG he still kept the idea of writing to outpace himself and surprise himself as one of the main goals for how to write it. This of course is an idea that while it may work for something smaller scale where things don't need to be about saving the world and time itself, is a horrible way to write out a large scale RPG because you end up with a game that just keeps tossing nonsense at you because the writer kept trying to surprise himself with how it all tied together.

I feel like also mentioning that he basically wanted to redo Radical Dreamers as a full RPG like immediately after finishing it and even tried to turn Xenogears into a Chrono game but was shot down by the other writers on that.

And of course that wound up biting him in the rear end big time, considering that they wound up having to have two completely separate long-rear end exposition dumps at the end of the game. Plus major tonal inconsistencies, like the dwarves poo poo-talking humans for what we’ve done to them... when they’re in the middle of committing genocide.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
So from what I'm hearing here, the game's a mess because an enthusiastic writer tried something experimental and it blew up in his face. Also that no one was holding him back even slightly and doing any editing.

It's still more interesting than a game that failed due to a corporate agenda, at least. There's some actual soul in it still.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Keldulas posted:

So from what I'm hearing here, the game's a mess because an enthusiastic writer tried something experimental and it blew up in his face. Also that no one was holding him back even slightly and doing any editing.

It's still more interesting than a game that failed due to a corporate agenda, at least. There's some actual soul in it still.

Honestly, where we're at right now, it's a good game, more fun than I remembered.

Most of my memories of it are colored by the completely incomprehensible exposition dump near the end.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The last section of the game is just outright awful due to having to rush to finish. It's still unfailingly pretty, but not actually fun to play.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Keldulas posted:

To be honest, it’s a more or less decent game story-wise to start with. It’s just that things really start sliding when it finally remembers that it’s supposed to be a sequel to Chrono Trigger.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The game's premise is a very strong foundation for a compelling story. Teenager unwittingly dimension hops into one where he is dead. Worse, some malevolent force knew this ahead of time and sent someone to collect him. Exploring the butterfly effect of how his death affected the world and why so many people are interested in him is great.

They just went real weird with it and also ran out of time.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The lesson in all this is that ideas are great, but it's the execution that matters. This is a game that required an editor to ruthlessly hack out half of its characters and a third of its storylines. Giving a project more time to flail in its scope is not going to be help.

Leamonde
Aug 2, 2012

Black Mage Knight posted:

So on a basic level, Masato Kato (the script writer for Chrono Trigger and the head writer for Cross and Radical Dreamers) had over the course of writing Radical Dreamers become infatuated with the idea of writing so fast that he would begin to outpace himself and start to get surprised by the twists he would write.

"The story writes itself! :v:"

I was confused on how this would ever be possible, but then I remembered improvisation is a thing that exists in many art forms. As someone who improvises music, I can understand occasions of "I dunno what that was, but it was awesome!" within the mountains of "wow, that was rear end."

It's still a silly strategy though, especially if you're not going back and revising for things like cohesion.

kw0134 posted:

The lesson in all this is that ideas are great, but it's the execution that matters. This is a game that required an editor to ruthlessly hack out half of its characters and a third of its storylines. Giving a project more time to flail in its scope is not going to be help.

My sentiments exactly.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

Keldulas posted:

Yeah. Despite how CC turned out, I'm kind of glad it was the result of experimentation by Kato.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, agreed on that front. At the very least, CC gave us a lot of things to consider from the perspective of what could have been executed better. As they say, better to try and fail than to have never tried at all.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
If you examine the other Poshul's doghouse (inside Leena's house) you find the following note left behind... "Thith ith my houthe!!! Keep out! And beware of Mad Heckrans! Me have embarked on a rong journey. Pleathe do not come rooking for I."

So basically he conveniently ran away to see the world or something so there aren't two Poshuls (but only if you recruited the first one), and I guess he didn't tell Leena because she isn't surprised to see Poshul.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Someone mentioned we picked up Leena when I wasn't paying attention.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Someone mentioned we picked up Leena when I wasn't paying attention.

that acquisition method for her final tech is another one of my RPG pet peeves: gating really good endgame stuff behind a (seemingly) innocuous choice or action you made early on in the game.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Serge is 128 lbs at 5'7". You might think that the Whatever Arcipelago people have bird bones or something, but there's an actual skeleton we can recruit at some point. They're 6'2" and weigh 51 lbs, which is like twice what you'd expect!

Conclusion: whoever assigned these values has no idea how humanoid bodies work.

Ayndin fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 15, 2020

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Skelly is one of about 15-20 superfluous characters that someone should've purged.

That being said, I love this big ol mess of a game.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Yeah everyone's on about trimming characters and whatnot, but I truly love this game, warts and all, and I don't think I'd remember it as fondly if most of the weird, wacky, off the rails stuff was cut out. Chrono Cross is unrepentantly itself, a flawed work of genius that, as a whole, exists to provide a galaxy brain answer to one dangling plot point from Chrono Trigger.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Well like a big reason it should cut characters is more that it has so many that they outright had to cut storylines and relevance from a bunch of characters because of a combination of too much story already and that having like 4 people that have actual ties to the main plot and then 20 party members who are just randos with no relevance to anything would be more noticeable.

Just as time goes on we will meet people who you could tell were supposed to tie into things and have their own stories, but just kinda stop existing as soon as they join you.

Also Skelly is too perfect to cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Clownbones is an abomination and everyone is banned from liking him