Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I could have sworn the Twitch/streamer thing had been somewhat worked out recently but I guess I misread something :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Like every other scumfuck thing they do, it's legal until someone challenges them in court over it.

And even then Vince can just appeal forever or have Trump rig it

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm curious. When was the last year the WWE operated at a loss and wasn't making a profit?

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Seth: This is such a great day. No more social media. Thank god.
Prospect: Yeah, I feel like this is wrong...
Seth: Trust me, this is great. You want it to be like this. Trust me...
Prospect: Yeah...no...
Seth: You need to understand this is a good thing.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

I could have sworn the Twitch/streamer thing had been somewhat worked out recently but I guess I misread something :/

At first it looked like it had been worked out and you could only stream under your real name, but as of today that's no longer the case apparently.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vandar posted:

I'm curious. When was the last year the WWE operated at a loss and wasn't making a profit?

2014 due to Network start up costs. They basically broke even in 2013.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Matt with the sucker punch lol

https://twitter.com/MATTHARDYBRAND/status/1311859205016621057?s=20

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Do Seth and Braun and Ricochet have cameos?

I ask only because I can see them bootlicking this move and saying it’s great even though they don’t have their own...but maybe they do have ones they use to connect with fans?

If not, then lol, of course they don’t.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I'm sorry but I can't think of the majority of the wrestlers of WWE in any kind of negative light about this. Sure there are some bootlicking assholes at the top of the card like Braun, but as someone whose industry was eradicated by COVID, I will never fault anyone for doing whatever it takes to keep a job right now. This is survival, and it isn't their fault. I'd love if they organized a walk out, a strike, or anything like it but bills keep coming and wrestling is such a niche thing it's not likely the populace will come out to support them. They are for the majority the victims here, in my mind it's not fair to judge the wrestlers for the most part.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think the wrestlers should absolutely not be putting up with this and should be up in arms (and loving unionizing for a start), but I save all my disdain for the piece of poo poo company and Vince McMahon for pulling this horrible bullshit.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Neodoomium posted:

Like every other scumfuck thing they do, it's legal until someone challenges them in court over it.

And even then Vince can just appeal forever or have Trump rig it

And the only way the lawsuit ever happens is if someone with as big a (or bigger) checkbook as Vince has to pay for lawyers, ala Peter Theil paying for Hogans lawyers with the Gawker lawsuit. Someone should call Tony Kahn about this, then the Wednesday night wars would get REAL spicy.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol

Imagine still supporting WWE when they piled on the 100th awful thing they've done to their talent just this year alone

There's always more and it's always worse

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

esperantinc posted:

And the only way the lawsuit ever happens is if someone with as big a (or bigger) checkbook as Vince has to pay for lawyers, ala Peter Theil paying for Hogans lawyers with the Gawker lawsuit. Someone should call Tony Kahn about this, then the Wednesday night wars would get REAL spicy.

if the Kahns got involved it’d be an open and shut case of contract tampering

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Why would the Khans give the slightest poo poo about WWE continuing to poison their relationship with talent? This is entirely to their benefit.

Miro raved about how TK was totally behind him keeping his side gigs going. And why would a real company not run by carny gently caress wits give a poo poo? Now AEW making an offer carries with it that much more freedom and potential earning power.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

WWE sucks

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1311882838707326976

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

This is in the upper ranks of the most validated I've ever felt. Right up there with when Ronnie Filyaw of Whomp! fame did a comic based on a tweet I sent him.

Your disgust with WWE as a company actually feels restrained at this point, given this latest bullshit play they're making.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/EFFYlives/status/1310749560587923457?s=19

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

loving love Effy.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Is “contract tampering” In the sense we talk about it in wrestling even real? I get it within professional sports leagues because those teams all have agreed to the rules around signing players, but that obviously doesn’t apply here. Wouldn’t it more be on the talent not to breach an exclusive negotiation clause than on a rival promotion to not negotiate with a wrestler?

I’m not a lawyer or anything, but when I google “contract tampering” all that comes up are a bunch of articles trying to apply the CBA rules of the NBA or NFL to wrestlers and it just doesn’t seem compatible. I’ve only ever worked in employee-employer situations, but it just seems crazy to me that an independent contractor wouldn’t be legally allowed to line up their next gig while their current one is winding down, and even then that it’s their next contract holder who’d be on the hook for it.

Do the non-compete clauses have something to do with it?

Lead Pipe Cinch fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 2, 2020

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Eat My Fuc posted:

I'm sorry but I can't think of the majority of the wrestlers of WWE in any kind of negative light about this. Sure there are some bootlicking assholes at the top of the card like Braun, but as someone whose industry was eradicated by COVID, I will never fault anyone for doing whatever it takes to keep a job right now. This is survival, and it isn't their fault. I'd love if they organized a walk out, a strike, or anything like it but bills keep coming and wrestling is such a niche thing it's not likely the populace will come out to support them. They are for the majority the victims here, in my mind it's not fair to judge the wrestlers for the most part.

Good post. Can’t fault anything you said.

Let me just add my piece and peace to this a la resigned to re-sign a point I must make.

I don’t care this happened during COVID so you gotta do what you gotta do. I understand that point, but I’m talking about everything else not pandemic related.

The upper management players have always silenced their performers and acted like they own them. This particular instance just so happened in a vulnerable position with a pandemic going on. There has been negative press after negative press after negative press with this company. It only lives because of its name value, its political roots and its die hard fans who simply don’t know how to quit. Addiction is tough. I understand that and my condolences go out to those who struggle.

There was a time I sided with the talent. A very, very select few I still do. Basically, the ones who signed eons ago when there was no other company to work for. This industry was a monopoly and only last year finally saw an OPTION to perform their craft on TV. If you’re a talent who is a TV performer and you do this craft because you want to entertain millions, you only have two options. Two. You used to only have one. Impact and other promotions exist because well, you either aren’t ready for that or simply don’t want that. That’s extreme pressure and judgment and you gotta be ready and wanting it.

Every. Single. Performer. Knows. Exactly. What. They. Are. Getting. Into. When. They. Sign. With. The. WWE. In. Its. Current. State.

I can fault performers for years ago. I understand why they probably signed.

But my point I have is that this isn’t some new issue either. This has been ongoing forever at this point and it got especially bad a few years ago as Vince really showed he isn’t mentally fit to run a company anymore. He’s out of touch with the times. We have a 70+ year old calling the shots for 20-40 year olds like he knows them. He promises a dream just based on the name “WWE” alone.

This industry is desperate for change. It craves it and it needs it. It was destined to die off if no other company formed and thank god one did that has a chance to survive and even that isn’t guaranteed.

There’s a chance this twitch and cameo ban doesn’t last and then people say, “See! Vince came to his senses it’s ok now!”

It’s not OK because then it’ll be something else. The world has passed Vince by and he is going to kill his company when he dies too.

And I say bring it on because maybe it’ll spawn a new company, lead by real leaders who want talent to thrive, employees to be happy and fair and just treatment to those who want to love their craft, show that love and be loved by not just their fans, but by all people who can classify this and appreciate this as a SPORT.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

On a lighter note,

Jerusalem posted:

when Big Show, Christina, HBK and Ric Flair came back for revenge on Orton.

imaging Back to Basics era Xtina kicking Orton in the face while doing a vocal run

yass queeen

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ICR posted:

But my point I have is that this isn’t some new issue either. This has been ongoing forever at this point and it got especially bad a few years ago as Vince really showed he isn’t mentally fit to run a company anymore. He’s out of touch with the times.

You know what's crazy? Back when CM Punk walked out of the company, Vince was on a Network Special hosted by Steve Austin who straight up asking him to comment on Punk's complaints. The one that Vince seemed most determined to focus on was Punk's accusation that Vince was old and out-of-touch. Vince was insistent that no, he absolutely wasn't out-of-touch, he still had his finger on the pulse etc.

That was in 2014. :stare:

Power Windows posted:

On a lighter note,

imaging Back to Basics era Xtina kicking Orton in the face while doing a vocal run

yass queeen

Haha, whoops!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jerusalem posted:

I know I say this a lot, but seriously, how the gently caress is this legal? "You have to give us control of the 3rd party thing you're making money from on your own, and then we will take the money you earn for it and maybe if you're really lucky we will give you a small portion of it instead of paying you for other work we are making you do for us."

It's complete insanity.

Don’t forget, these are “independent contractors”

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Is Trump the first WWE hall of famer to get COVID?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

fatherofmustard posted:

Is Trump the first WWE hall of famer to get COVID?

DDP had it a little bit ago.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

I know I say this a lot, but seriously, how the gently caress is this legal? "You have to give us control of the 3rd party thing you're making money from on your own, and then we will take the money you earn for it and maybe if you're really lucky we will give you a small portion of it instead of paying you for other work we are making you do for us."

It's complete insanity.

It's the US, Vince is a rich person and the people working for him are not.

:capitalism:

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

ICR posted:

Good post. Can’t fault anything you said.

Let me just add my piece and peace to this a la resigned to re-sign a point I must make.

I don’t care this happened during COVID so you gotta do what you gotta do. I understand that point, but I’m talking about everything else not pandemic related.

The upper management players have always silenced their performers and acted like they own them. This particular instance just so happened in a vulnerable position with a pandemic going on. There has been negative press after negative press after negative press with this company. It only lives because of its name value, its political roots and its die hard fans who simply don’t know how to quit. Addiction is tough. I understand that and my condolences go out to those who struggle.

There was a time I sided with the talent. A very, very select few I still do. Basically, the ones who signed eons ago when there was no other company to work for. This industry was a monopoly and only last year finally saw an OPTION to perform their craft on TV. If you’re a talent who is a TV performer and you do this craft because you want to entertain millions, you only have two options. Two. You used to only have one. Impact and other promotions exist because well, you either aren’t ready for that or simply don’t want that. That’s extreme pressure and judgment and you gotta be ready and wanting it.

Every. Single. Performer. Knows. Exactly. What. They. Are. Getting. Into. When. They. Sign. With. The. WWE. In. Its. Current. State.

I can fault performers for years ago. I understand why they probably signed.

But my point I have is that this isn’t some new issue either. This has been ongoing forever at this point and it got especially bad a few years ago as Vince really showed he isn’t mentally fit to run a company anymore. He’s out of touch with the times. We have a 70+ year old calling the shots for 20-40 year olds like he knows them. He promises a dream just based on the name “WWE” alone.

This industry is desperate for change. It craves it and it needs it. It was destined to die off if no other company formed and thank god one did that has a chance to survive and even that isn’t guaranteed.

There’s a chance this twitch and cameo ban doesn’t last and then people say, “See! Vince came to his senses it’s ok now!”

It’s not OK because then it’ll be something else. The world has passed Vince by and he is going to kill his company when he dies too.

And I say bring it on because maybe it’ll spawn a new company, lead by real leaders who want talent to thrive, employees to be happy and fair and just treatment to those who want to love their craft, show that love and be loved by not just their fans, but by all people who can classify this and appreciate this as a SPORT.

You aren't wrong about anything you said. The wrestlers are so vulnerable we need a serious as gently caress fan movement to help them. We need to be doing the organizing via not giving WWE money, and expressing discontent because we as the fans have nothing to lose.

I have been a network subscriber since it's debut. I need to come to terms with the selfish part of me that enjoys that archive content so much and cancel, but selfishly i'm not there yet. It's a conundrum, but the fans really have the biggest power here and I really think everyone at fight island has a good heart for the most part. How do we get people at reddit, twitter, etc to be on the same page and unify for the workers we love who are too oppressed to do it themselves?

loving #givedivasachance worked, and I don't disparage that movement at all it lead to some of my favorite all time wrestling, but surely if that worked collectively we can move the needle even more towards equality for all wrestlers in WWE becuase there are so many kind hearted, genuine as poo poo, good loving people working there and they give so much of their time, their bodies, and minds for the fans.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lol this loving company please die

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Eat My Fuc posted:

loving #givedivasachance worked, and I don't disparage that movement at all it lead to some of my favorite all time wrestling, but surely if that worked collectively we can move the needle even more towards equality for all wrestlers in WWE becuase there are so many kind hearted, genuine as poo poo, good loving people working there and they give so much of their time, their bodies, and minds for the fans.

That worked because WWE realized that they would lose money due to changing times if they kept women's wrestling as bra and panties poo poo because there was no hiding that. This poo poo here though? Where's the downside if they can commit legal robbery and people will just sit down and take it?

Only thing you can do at this point to really help is to stop paying WWE anything full stop. Trying to help the wrestlers directly isn't going to work, because as we can clearly see WWE will just swoop in and steal that money eventually.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

ICR posted:

There's a line, said by Whoopi Goldberg, talking about why she didn't quit out of a bad film she signed on for. If she had done so, it would have put her significantly into debt, forcing her to take on roles in worse films to make up for not doing the one bad film. She decided to be "rich and ashamed" rather than "poor and principled."

What I'm saying is that I won't fault wrestlers for taking jobs they hate to make ends meet.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

EMF, you're alllllright.

Also, EFFY knows something.

https://twitter.com/EFFYlives/status/1311873902319144960?s=19

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
EFFY needs to spill the drat tea

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Like, saying poo poo like that makes me upset because it shifts the blame from WWE, where it rightly belongs, to the Talent, who in a perfect world would be making what they deserve, but we live in a hellscape and a lot of wrestlers aren't being paid near what they're worth even in the "good" companies so gently caress off with that imo.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
#givedivasachance was also 6 years ago now before the rot of the last few years. #Naomideservesbetter changed gently caress all

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Seams posted:

EFFY needs to spill the drat tea

My obnoxious gif reply agrees.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Rarity posted:

#givedivasachance was also 6 years ago now before the rot of the last few years. #Naomideservesbetter changed gently caress all

I believe and it's possible i'm dumb here but had she not required surgery it Naomi would have been pushed somewhat. Without real crowds to hijack and push the WWE to do the right thing though it's incredibly difficult to get them to listen. The thunderdome is bad for the WWE because it allows no true feedback to what they're doing. We have seen in the past many times that if the fans are actually pissed enough, WWE will change.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

#Naomideservesbetter changed gently caress all

Hey now, that's not true. She went from losing matches in a couple of minutes while being ignored by the commentators to losing matches in a couple of minutes while being made fun of by the commentators! All for the sin of having dared to... have fans who independently of anything she said got a hashtag trending saying they wanted to see her succeed.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jerusalem posted:

Hey now, that's not true. She went from losing matches in a couple of minutes while being ignored by the commentators to losing matches in a couple of minutes while being made fun of by the commentators! All for the sin of having dared to... have fans who independently of anything she said got a hashtag trending saying they wanted to see her succeed.

Fan? Sounds like a third party!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

Fan? Sounds like a third party!
Those aren’t your fans, they’re WWE fans. We’ll make sure you get a cut of their pop though