Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
My guess for how the recording issues were solved is that Sally played the part of every commentator, then sent the audio to the co-commentators for them to record "their" audio. I haven't watched the video yet, but I am certain it will only confirm my suspicion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
haha White Coke you are partially correct but the process was less complicated than that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Psion posted:

we need to know eventually, Sally.

alright, got home... so here's how we did it:

it's a self-aware retusprae

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
if I'm understanding how you're doing it where they comment on your commentary, I just don't feel right that you're giving crow free reign to dunk on you that way

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Psion posted:

if I'm understanding how you're doing it where they comment on your commentary

Would explain the overlapping which sorta bugged me at times.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

CJacobs posted:

look forward to more killing zone shadow's fall adventures by cjacobs starring noteworthy timeless protagonist Aaron Dinner

:f5:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Psion posted:

if I'm understanding how you're doing it where they comment on your commentary, I just don't feel right that you're giving crow free reign to dunk on you that way

But wouldn't that also mean that Sally could dunk on crow if he finishes Shadow Fall? Surely that's an acceptable sacrifice?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cooked Auto posted:

Would explain the overlapping which sorta bugged me at times.

yeah, that's a feature not a bug. i can throttle back on it in future videos--i'd duck my own audio in this case so CJakes and crow take precedent. I thought it was funnier if I left it in and it sounded like crow and Cjakes were just massively disrespecting me by talking over me mumbling to myself.

White Coke posted:

But wouldn't that also mean that Sally could dunk on crow if he finishes Shadow Fall? Surely that's an acceptable sacrifice?

It's this!

also, I get to surprise crow and Cjacobs by leaving commentary "traps" for them. though in this case, crow, that fucker, listened to the audio ahead of time and prepped his "poem". Cjacobs went in totally blind and was unprepared for my Van Halen request...

working on the next update. Should have it up this evening. since the analysis for this particular video is relatively light (it's the calm before the storm... Danner has lost Ivanov and is now solo, but the major plot escalation has yet to truly kick in), I'm opting to go into detail on how we fixed our recording issues.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Gonna start the analysis with this image and get all meta for a moment:

Because we really HAVE come a long way in two years!

A little backstory on how we got here: About two years ago, I kinda stalled out on LP. The Dash LP was feeling aimless, I'd been doing Killzone for too long, and I was just feeling a sort of ennui. It didn't help that I'd moved to a place where I had no means of recording short of renting studio space--which I was unwilling to do, clearly. So right there the big allure of doing Killzone vids--the group commentary--was lost to me. I tried running a few solo LPs, but my heart wasn't really in it. Apologies to those who were interested in my now abandoned Distrust and Infested Planet LPs.

For a while I was just out of the LP loop. I was postin' and doin' mod stuff, but I've been more focussed on real life stuff. I did find time to squeeze in a quick Diplomacy LP and have been slowly working on an LPer journal in PMF. That said, though, Killzone: Mercenary has been calling my name all this time. This really is my favourite Killzone and it's really one I want to get through.

I was bummed that things kind of feel apart with regards to recording with crow and CJacobs, because those first two chapter videos were a lot of fun. But as much as I love this game and I love my co-commentators, this game also feels like it's been hanging over me a bit. So as started to feel the drive to LP return, I started running through scenarios on how to finally finish this LP. As you all know, I settled on solo commentary. I've not done a lot of solo commentary LPs, but it's not something I'm totally unfamiliar with, so I figured I'd go for it.

The hardest part was crow and CJacobs' broken hearts.

:negative:

How could I live with myself knowing I'd let CJacobs and crow down?

And so a scheme was hatched...

As my comments above hint, I am no stranger to this kind of bullshit:
  • That one time in Killzone 3 where partway through the commentary my audio feed to Jobbo and crow cut out, so I could hear them but they couldn't hear me... but I furiously messaged them over chat to keep going and we successfully pulled off our first asynchronous Let's Play video.
  • Worried the LP was dragging on too long, but unable to commit to a recording night because of a busy work schedule, I encourage crow to go on ahead without me and farmed out commentary for a Killzone 3 level to Kadorhal and Lazyfire.
  • In Faerie Fortune's Mount & Blade succession LP, I convinced CJacobs to play the role of "the voice in my head" and recorded solo commentary for him to commentate over top of... to great success!
This concept also has its roots in an old LP idea I had to do the Half-Life series and a whack of mods but have crow and CJacobs play the roles of voices in my head while I mumble to myself in a weird perversion of Freeman's Mind. Obviously, that never took off, but I was stoked to test run it in that Mount & Blade vid.

As to how we pulled it off, there was nothing fancy to it. I recorded my audio solo. Only I was fully aware that CJacobs and nine-gear crow would be co-commentating over top of it. I did my usual solo commentary schticks: talked about gameplay elements as they came up, tried stay quiet during cutscenes, and applied criticism of the gameplay and plot where relevant. Only I was sure to leave bigger pauses between talking segments to allow for crow and CJakes' inevitable responses.

Once all done, I sent them a copy of the video with my commentary for them to go over. At that point, I took all of our audio and edited together for the final video.

But of course, doing the commentary this way allowed me to lay some traps for them. Not everything landed perfectly... you'll notice several times throughout the video I just sort of acknowledge something that never happened. Or I'll laugh or respond to the absolute wrong thing. That's a feature, not a bug. But when it worked, it was loving amazing.

So the biggest traps laid were encouraging crow to recite a Killzone-themed poem and asking CJacobs to sing hair metal songs. When I gave them the video link, I was very emphatic that they NOT watch it beforehand so as not to ruin my surprises.

crow, as you may have guessed, did not trust me:

And, well, rightfully so.

But CJacobs, that pure and noble soul, did NOT watch the video beforehand. So in the final video, crow is prepared for my bullshit and acts accordingly. Meanwhile, CJacobs is taking it as it comes. The interesting part here, of course, is that when things seem to line up real well with crow's commentary, it's more a result of his planning to one-up me. (Psion, you're absolutely right: I've given crow free reign to dunk on me. I knew it was a risk and I'm taking it anyway). Meanwhile, when things seem to line up real well with CJacob's commentary, that's just good fortune!

Both, I think, work for this video. For example, at some point in the video I thank Artix for being there. My intent was to just throw off crow and CJacobs... but crow went and got Artix to record that snippet for the end in response. That wouldn't have happened if crow had gone in blind!

Oh, and as for the "poem"... that's a deep CJacobs-Blind Sally-nine-gear crow LP crew reference. Like, five-ish years ago, CJacobs put out a call in the subforum for co-commentators for his Dead Space 3 LP. I was watching his Max Payne 3 LP at the time and thought it was a lot of fun, so I messaged him and we did the first vid together. It went really well and I suggested bringing on nine-gear crow for the rest of the single-player vids (JamieTheD went through the co-op missions with CJacobs) and the rest is history! At some point in the LP, I made this video: The Original "The Poem". (Original music video here)

As far as analysis for the actual video goes, there's not a lot here just yet. The last two videos reintroduced to the Killzone universe, contextualized when and where Mercenary takes place, and introduced us to the world of the ultimate Earth rear end in a top hat Danner. They also established all of the main faction leaders for the game: Kratek, Grey, and Benoit. With the death of Ivanov, Danner is now on his own. We are briefly teased with a new buddy in the form of Carrell, but that lasts all of... well... you know. From this point forward, Danner is fighting solo. Well, okay, he has Blackjack in his corner, but gameplaywise, we are now a lone merc comforted only by our mad stacks of cash.

From a broader story standpoint, this is a lull in the story. This serves to tie us into the Killzone 2 timeline what with Danner being responsible for clearing the path for Templar to make a beachhead and land Sevchenko and co. in Pyrrhus, but Danner's journey hasn't crystalized yet. The plot of the missing chemical weapons is still unaccounted for and the fight between the ISA and the Helghast (with the Phantom Talon Corp running errands for the ISA) is in a holding pattern.

The next mission is where things really start to heat up.

Carrell

Welp, it keeps happening. Sorry, CJacobs! First it was Garza, then Templar and Evelyn, and finally, poor sweet Ivanov. If it makes you feel better, CJakes, Carrell is well and truly the last Killzone buddy to bite the bullet in such a way. From this point forward, you are free of losing loveable NPC pals.

Or maybe not?

Perhaps this is all a ruse to lull you once again into a false sense of security! Have I no shame? You decide!

Also, uh, Carrell is with Phantom Talon Corp, so he's probably either ex-UCA or ex-ISA. Whatever. He dead.

Arc Battery Schematics

"Good, good. Arc battery schematics. ISA will pay big bucks for this. Unless, the Helghast pay more to get it back... "
—Blackjack

Just some fluff text about how the arc cannons work. The bit at the end hints at Danner being able to override and fire the battery at the Helghast cruisers. That's all. (Oh, the Stahl Arms reference is nice too, I suppose).

quote:

ENGINEERING CHARTS

OFF-SHORE ARC BATTERY #5

ARC CANNONS

Five Mark II fixed emplacement extra-orbital Arc Cannons which can be targeted independently or synchronously for concentrated fire.

GENERATOR ROOM

Housing single high capacity induction coil generator. Converts fuel piped to the facility from on-shore, distributing stable and consistent supply of Arc energy to the cannons.

TARGETING ARRAY

Two high-gain scanning dishes - acquire targeting data which is then passed to the Firing Room computers to aim and fire the cannons. Pre-programmed safety protocols prevent the array from targeting non-hostile craft.

Maintenance and programing via engineering terminals on each dish. Terminals protected by reinforced shields that can be raised from the control room for each dish. Access only for Grade 1 Engineering personnel.

FIRING ROOM

Command center with computer-controlled Firing Terminal. Processes firing solutions forwarded by targeting array and confirms targets, aiming cannons and confirms targets, aiming cannons and controlling fire.

Firing control may be overridden manually via a control on the Firing Terminal. Level One Authorized Personnel only.

— Engineering Department, Stahl Arms

Arc Network Report

"Interesting, very interesting... Looks like juice for these cannons is piped from Kratek's part of town. Now Grey has another reason for 'reunion' with the Colonel...!"
—Blackjack

Hint, hint: We'll be running into Kratek again.

quote:

ARC NETWORK STATUS REPORT

FAO. ALL SITE ENGINEERS

Near-optimal power pressure is currently being maintained to all Arc batteries (see associated generation and distribution readouts).

Output of the Pyrrhus refinery presently stands at 81% of capacity. As all batteries are now charging for combat and many are actively engaged, we have been ordered to raise this to 95% of capacity.

To meet this demand, we have increased the harvesting of raw fuel from smoker towers by 10%. Supplies are also being augmented by pipeline from the Tharsis refinery.

Status will be updated in 2 hours.

SUPPLEMENTAL

Colonel Kratek has placed the Pyrrhus refinery on high alert and increased security around it. ID and security passes must be carried at all times. Failure to do so will result in arrest.

— Peder Mahl, Senior Engineer, Dept. of Energy

Orders To Arc Batteries

"Ah yes, yes... Most of this I work out already. But, why spoil the show by telling anyone - we call it our little secret, yes?"
—Blackjack

Okay, so this is low-key horrifying and hilarious. Blackjack has already figured out the broad strokes of the Helghast defense, but hasn't bothered to share with the ISA. If this ever came to light, I imagine it'd be one of those situations where the ISA would accuse him and shout "Why didn't you tell us?!" to which he'd reply "You didn't ask". Blackjack is a paid service. He's not in the business of sharing information.

But it's the way he confides to Danner that is the best part: "Why spoil the show by telling".

Blackjack is a stone cold poo poo disturber. And whether or not you like to imagine Danner as being a more altruistic mercenary, it's clear he's a big enough poo poo Blackjack is happy to confide this stuff to. My thoughts? Danner has seen and done some awful loving things--probably a lot of it with Blackjack's support. How else would he build such a professional rapport?

quote:

ORDERS TO ALL ARC BATTERY COMMANDERS

COLONEL MAEL RADEC,
CHIEF OF DEFENSE FORCES

The enemy fleet approaches and will be in Helghan orbit within a matter of hours. Maintain your arc cannons in a state of combat-readiness and place security on high alert. Nothing can be allowed to breach the defensive perimeter around the city.

The ISA know nothing of our arc technology — this is our chance to strike a decisive blow against the invaders and prevent them from launching an aerial attack. Any who dare to set foot on Helghast soil will find us well prepared for them.

We must keep the Vektans from the heart of Pyrrhus and ensure the safety of the Autarch - whatever the cost. Thanks to the superiority of our Helghast scientists and the unbreakable spirit of our fighting men, we WILL be victorious.

Long live Visari!

—Colonel Radec

Arc Technology

"And... so! Suddenly their arc technology isn't big secret any more! As businessman, I hate monopolies.."
—Blackjack

But see? Blackjack is an equal opportunist. He'll screw over the Helghast and ISA equally assuming it means greater profit for him.

Note: The professor mentioned here, Torr Savic, is a relative of a character we've yet to meet. It's a nice detail here. Fleshes out the background characters.

quote:

THE MILITARY DEVELOPMENT OF ARC TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF WEAPONS RESEARCH

The use of Arc energy has developed rapidly since its accidental discovery in the early 2350's.

The rapid industrialization that followed the accession of Autarch Visari required the opening of many new mines and refineries. A series of devastating explosions during desert mining operations led to the discovery of a previously unknown element with huge electrical potential: Petrusite.

Professor Torr Savic. a leading researcher at the Institute of Science and Technology was the first to identify the element and develop a controlled means of using it to generate power. From there, Savic focused on the civil and industrial applications of Arc technology, primarily increased automation and the provision of cheap energy to the masses.

However, the failure to reclaim our colony on Vekta and the likelihood of ISA retaliation convinced the Autarch that Arc technology was vital to the very survival of the Helghast nation and he ordered that all research be directed to military applications. When Savic refused to cooperate and publically questioned the policy, he and his wife were incarcerated for a period of re-education.

The task of weaponizing Arc technology fell to Stahl Arms. The manufacturer rapidly developed a fixed Arc Cannon with massive firepower and extra-orbital range. At the same time, Stahl secured the supply and distribution of energy by laying down new pipelines and, in particular, exploiting the rich supply of Petrusite found in naturally occurring smoker towers.

At present, research and development is geared towards lightweight in-theater applications featuring portable Arc energy supplies. There is evidence to suggest that experimental weapons with these characteristics have been developed by unaligned third parties: a cause for concem.

—Dept. of Weapons Research, Institute of Science and Technology

Report #VR89K

"Looks like the Higs have been doing their homework on you mercs. And they're getting curious about me, too. This is why I insist on confidentiality..."
—Blackjack

This is a fun bit of intel. One, because it shows that the Helghast's intelligence isn't a total pushover. Two, because this gives us some background on Phantom Talon Corp. As it turns out, Benoit was one of the founders, along with a fellow named Adamska.. a fellow who died under mysterious circumstances allowing Benoit to take full control over the company. Hmmm. HMMM. HMMM!

It stress the danger posed by PTC and also mentions that a lot of members are ex-Earth military. But it's that last paragraph is of particular interest. Dossier #VR76M is the report on Ivanov we found from the last mission. The other one, dossier #KL78B, we haven't found yet--but as you may have guessed, it's all the information the Helghast have on Blackjack. The Helghast are aware of Danner and the PTC and how they keep loving things up for them... and they're starting to keep tabs on them.

Danner better be careful. As Blackjack would say, this isn't good business.

quote:

MILITARY INTELLIGENCE REPORT - #VR89K

ISA USE OF MERCENARY CONTRACTORS

Private military contractors played a significant role in the Vektan campaign, and may even be credited with turning the tide against the armies of the Emperor.

Evidence suggests that the ISA continues to employ mercenaries in preparation for their invasion of Helghan, most notably for infiltration and covert operations.

One company in particular has assumed a prominent role: Phantom Talon Corp. The attached dossier gives all information presently known about the Corporation.

PHANTOM TALON CORP.
Private military company founded on Earth in 2344 by Anders Benoit and Oliver Adamska, both ex- Special Forces in the United Colonial Army. With their close ties to the UCA they were able to recruit elite ex-soldiers and secure lucrative contracts from the Earth authorities.

PTC was involved in a number of minor corporate and colonial disputes, especially following the signing of the 2350 trade deal between Helghan and the breakaway colonies of the Independent Colonial Strategic Alliance, which saw tensions grow across the Alpha Centauri system.

Company acquired a reputation for ruthless efficiency and a willingness to sell its services to the highest bidder, whether govemment or corporation. This led to tensions between Adamska, a patriot who believed that it was PTC's duty to support Earth interests in any conflict, and Benoit whose primary motivation was business.

Adamska was KIA on assignment in 2348, the circumstances of his death unclear. Benoit moved quickly to expand and restructure the company, appointing subordinates to run two new affiliates. Skull Knight Enterprises and Eclipse Forces, established on different colonies across the system.

Publicly, PTC maintains its neutrality, though its close connections with Earth and its record fighting alongside ISA forces speak for themselves. The operations of its affiliate companies are less transparent however, suggesting that the loyalties of PTC itself might potentially be realigned.

For now, PTC and its operatives remain a significant threat. The company continues to deploy elite combat personnel, some with direct experience of the conflict on Vekta (see dossier #VR76M). Contacts in the arms industry ensure they are equipped with the latest in advanced technology, including experimental weapons not available to our own forces. (Investigations into the source of these have so far proved inconclusive: see dossier #KL78B).

Defensive Status Report

"Hm... no question about it, the Higs have a plan. This war, it's like the onion — layers inside layers. I find out more, I let you know. Maybe.."
—Blackjack

I've nothing to really add to this one... it's just more fluff tying the game to Killzone 2. It's nice to see a sort of return of Radec. He was one of the more compelling tertiary villains.

quote:

MESSAGE TO ALL ARC BATTERY COMMANDERS

COLONEL MAEL RADEC,
CHIEF OF DEFENSE FORCES

The arc batteries have performed well. The first wave of ISA cruisers has been destroyed and the rest of their fleet is pinned in outer orbit.

As the Autarch predicted, the ISA's professed mission to blockade Helghan trade was a flimsy cover for all-out invasion. The Vektans mean to topple the Emperor and seize the wealth of our planet for themselves, even if it means defying their Earth masters.

But we were not idle the past two years. While the invaders built their armada, we developed these defenses, the like of which they have never seen.

High Command has placed their faith in you and declined requests to reinforce the cruisers stationed over the city. But they have placed the fleet at Constantine on standby. I am assured their time to serve will come.

Remain vigilant and we will prevail.

Hail Visari!

— Colonel Radec

M66 Submachine Gun

Cost: 5100V

This weapon excels in covert operations due to its silence and poetential to kill in a single burst. Targeting is enhanced by a green dot sight.

The Nut-Shot 3000. Dick-Shot 5000. Er, Luger's gun is back. It's okay. It's solid. Tiny clip but fairly powerful. I don't get a lot of use out of it. Anytime that I want to go stealth, I prefer to take the silenced Helghast Assault Rifle. It may not pack quite the same punch, but it's got a bigger ammo clip meaning I can kill more Helghast before having to reload. When stealth goes well, that's not a big deal, but it makes a huge difference if an alarm gets set off. Sorry, M66. I like lots of bullets.

STA-18 Pisol

Cost: 4000V

A reliable side arm featuring a large clip size and good damage over range.

A serviceable gun, much like its silenced counterpart. If you're playing loud, this one is fine. Damage is okay, but the higher mag is the biggest selling point. Makes it a good defensive weapon to have if you don't have time to reload your primary. Nothing particularly special about it, it's just really reliable. Other secondary weapons offer so much more, but if I need to have a lots of bullets fast, this is a great sidearm.

M80 Rocket Launcher

Cost: 9400V

Single shot launcher requiring that a target lock-on be acquired before firing. Excels at destroying enemy drones and air support.

A very specific type of weapon right here. Outside of killing fast moving armoured air targets, there isn't much use for this gun. You need to aim to lock on and if the air target is too close, you're going to have a hell of a time doing that. If you have the space to safely acquire the lock, then this weapon is supremely good at what it does. If you're faced with land armour or groups of infantry, it's really not worth it though. If you know when to use it, then it's fine, but this is a highly specialized weapon and there are VAN-Guards that surpass it making it obsolete in most cases.

How it worked in the video? Very, very satisfying, but rare.

Sentry Bot

The Sentry Bot returns! It's no where near as frightening or disruptive as the ATACs in Killone's 2 and 3. No, the bots in Mercenary are more akin to the useless ones found in Killzone 1 under General Lente's botched invasion. They're faster, for sure, but super fragile. Throughout this video you see me clown on them like no tomorrow. Whether it's the Porcupine missile launcher, sustained machine gun fire, or the loving Helghast pistol, they go down fast and hard. The JAMR rendering them useless is a plus.

They CAN overwhelm you in groups, especially if you don't have any of the appropriate gear, but I wasn't about to let them drag me down here. Take that, Sentry Bots!

Got some Blackjack supply box art here. Interesting, it looks like they originally toyed with the idea of them being straight up PTC caches:

Makes me wonder how exactly Blackjack is linked to PTC. Is he actually on the payroll? Or is he just a close affiliate? The trailer suggests it's only a working relationship as long as PTC keep provided him money and information... though I've also started wondering how exactly Blackjack fixes all of those guns, ammo, and experimental weapons in those boxes. Are they being 3D printed on the fly? Are they being teleported in? Hmm...

And here's some concept art for the arc cannon level:

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 11, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Garza
Evelyn
Templar
Visari
Yellow 4
Chopper
Ivanov
Carrell

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:eyepop:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Bullying.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The classic CJacobs "Oh, gently caress!" is a response to be treasured :colbert:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

wow crow just had that list ready to go, huh? rude

cjacobs deserves better!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I'm like that cat that stays in the hospital room with the old people who are about to kick the bucket

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I bet it won’t be long before the Helghast buy our boss a better Bowflex.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

:perfect:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

What I especially like about the Killzone: Merc intro briefings is how well they tie everything together in the game. A lot of it is pretty blink and you miss it stuff, too--just image after image, name after name, much of it not yet contextualized. Having replayed this for the Nth time to do this LP, I'm appreciating the care and detail put into them more and more. Honestly, I think I've come around to preferring them over the cutscenes in other Killzones. Give me sweet briefing videos instead!

Anywho, Benoit congratulates us on blowing up those arc towers and we're given the briefest glimpse at the havoc we wrought. Looks like three whole cruisers were brought down before we were finished--that's two more than we saw in the video! Plus, we've always opened the door for Killzone 2 to occur.

Templar's fleet have made planetfall. Corinth Beach is being stormed by Alpha Squad. Rico, Sev, and co. are working their way through the very first Killzone 2 mission as we gently caress around and do our own thing just a few kilometres south.

I especially appreciate that we get to see that set dressing in the background. Godspeed, Alpha!

As I say, we're just a bit southwards. Again, to gush about these briefings, I dig the dynamic map that clearly places us in the Killzone world. We've been making our way slowly northward from the previous mission, and though we're near the events of Killzone 2, we're not going to crossover. I will point out, though, from here on out the rest of the game will take place within Killzone 2's timeline. The final mission for Mercenary occurs before the end of KZ2. (You can probably guess the event).

Benoit reminds us of the connection between the named characters of the game. Sepp Harkin and Admiral Grey are old friends going way back. Harkin provided a bunch of intel to Grey, if you recall our very first missions. It's time to repay the favour, so Grey wants to extract Harkin and his wife and kid. As well, if we happen to come across Dr. Savic, pick him up too. He's connected to the super virus.

Highlighting this image because this is probably what Harkin and his son's day-to-day life always looks like. As Vektans on Helghan, I bet their existence has always felt a bit tenous. Hence Boris there always looming in the background as bodyguard.

Anyways, to get back to Dr. Savic--in case you missed it at the beginning, that's him getting away in a boat. So while we won't be picking him up now, you can bet we'll see him in a later mission!

The following images are just me appreciating the detail in this handheld game to really give the sense of inequity and tension between Helghan and Vekta. It's one thing to TELL the audience that they hate each other before thrusting you into a battlefield; it's quite another to see what the Helghast do when the embassy's no longer a safe place for the Harkin family.

Case in point, the vitriolic and propagandist graffiti around it. Lots of hateful stuff said about Valeria Harkin for being a Helghast woman who dared to enter a relationship with a Vektan man. A lot of the other stuff is your bog standard Helghast nationalism.

Lots of the other Helghast graffiti is in Helghan script, but as we know the dubious nature of the cypher for it, I'm not too bothered to find out if they actually mean anything or are gibberish.

The Vektan propaganda is a hilarious passive aggressive show of Vektan superiority. Surprised they thought this was a good idea. Any visiting Helghast must've been pissed. My only real disappointment is that both propaganda walls are identical. Ah well, there have to be some handheld limits, I'm sure.

And speaking of imagery, our first in-person glimpse of Boris is interesting. He's framed by a flaming hole in the wall, rebar reaching out for him like claws. His body armour is constantly sparking with the bullets of hostile Helghast, and above him hang the globe and stars of the Vektan embassy. I'm sure there's some sort of hint here at his future, or perhaps his loyalty to the Harkin family despite his being Helghast...

But honestly...

All I see is a flaming goatse.

That bit of concrete can even be construed as a ring.

Killzone.

Anyways, this being a Killzone game, everything has gone woefully wrong. I suppose the saving grace here is that Danner isn't directly to blame. Though it sounds like he arrived only moments too late, so perhaps if he'd hurried he could've done something? Ah well. While Boris is only a temporary character, Justus will be recurring throughout the rest of the game and will accompany us across several missions. As I said in game, he's one of the better escort characters in a video game. He's pretty quiet, stays out of the way, and can't die! He follows Danner, points out things of note, interjects relevant lore at certain points, and serves as a mission progress measure when he unlocks new areas. All in all, he's the ideal FPS companion.

Oh and here's a bit of a wall that I am posting just to remind myself of something later on. Please feel free to ignore it for now. Not relevant yet.

But not more to talk about here. This mission is a lot of fun to play. The pieces of the Helghast game board were set in the last mission, all the strings from the Vekta prologue section coming together--now just as we were hopefully going to get a clean get-away, things are beginning to spiral. And you know what? It's going to continue to spiral all the way to the end of the game!

I couldn't end this update without the final shot of Boris, though. He was a drat fine soldier.

:rip: Boris :rip:

Sorry, Justus. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Not much more to say about Sepp Harkin that wasn't said in the first mission. Apparently he was a colonial lawyer and settled a number of disputes across the Killzone universe, one such dispute being where he met Grey. They became friends, though his belief that a peace could be negotiated between Helghan and Vekta strained the friendship. Still, it was his intel that led to Grey being rescued from Kratek (courtesy of yah boys at Phantom Talon Corp). Of course, being a Vektan on Helghan, he was being monitored when this happened. I mean, not that he was going to be successful at brokering a peace anyways. We all know Visari was like.

Of course, the Helghast had an opportunity to turn Harkin into an unwitting counterintelligence asset--so they do! He never saw it coming.

Not much to say about Valeria Harkin. Her maiden name was Tobek, a prominent Helghast family, and that she pursued a career in administration. Apparently she worked in the Ministry of Public Works and "was once reprimanded for criticism of promotion opportunities for women". Apparently her relationship with Harkin remained a secret for quite sometime--when they finally went public with it, it caused quite the scandal!

Justus Harkin is Sepp and Valeria's son, making him half-Helghan, half-Vektan. He's the second to appear in the Killzone universe, though the first kid to appear! That's right, he got to be traumatized by the war before ol'what's-his-face from Shadow Fall did.

Not much to talk about with regards to Justus, as there isn't much info there. We'll get to know him over the next couple of missions, as he plays a pivotal role in the game, hint hint!

Doctor Mandor Savic is the son of Torr Savic, the scientist mentioned in one of the intels from the last mission. As a refresher, Torr Savic was responsible for inventing a lot of the arc technology we see in the game universe. His applications were originally focused on harnessing it as a cheap and reliable energy source for the masses. When he refused to switch to working on weapons applications, he and his wife were incarcerated for "re-education". Mandor greatly admired his father and grew up in his footsteps--though he lacked his father's convictions to stand up for his beliefs, wanting to avoid a similar fate. And so, Dr. Savic here winds up involved in creating one of the deadliest bioweapons in the entire Killzone universe.

Last seen escaping from the burning embassy on a boat.

C. Borischek, aka "Boris", has been serving as bodyguard for the Harkin's for five years. In that time, he's come to respect the late ambassador. Even when his own people come knocking on the door to kill or capture the Harkin's, Boris never wavers from his duty. A true soldier.

Report KL53U

"So... the Ambassador was passing intel to the ISA, and the Helghast found out about it. Could be why they decided to end his 'immunity'. Or maybe there's more to it than that..."
—Blackjack

Yeah, no poo poo. If they'd wanted to, the Helghast could've picked them up sooner. As I mentioned, the order was given to hold off, meaning Harkin was used by the Helghast as a counterintelligence source. As Blackjack hints, there was INDEED something more to it. Involving Justus...

Anywho, the "Archangel" referred to by Grey is Operation: Archangel, the Vektan invasion of Helghan. She's referencing the invasion force with Templar and Alpha. The "Helghast defector", meanwhile, is referring to Dr. Savic.

quote:

MILITARY INTELLIGENCE REPORT - #KL53U

COMMUNICATIONS BETWEEN AMBASSADOR HARKIN AND THE ISA

Covert communications continue to flow between Ambassador Harkin and the ISA outside of permitted diplomatic channels.

The first recorded incident was in October 2357, when an encrypted audio message was intercepted by Helghast Intelligence (full transcripts available on request):

HARKIN: Admiral Grey is still alive — she's being held for interrogation in Kratek's center of operations. I know Kratek — he'll kill her as soon as he has what he wants..

Unfortunately the message was not decrypted until after the rescue of Admiral Grey from detention in Diortem.

All contact between Harkin and the ISA could have been stopped at this point. However, the decision was taken to allow further communications and monitor them.

Further transmissions indicated that the ISA were assembling a massive fleet, suggesting that a counter-attack was imminent (September 2358):

HARKIN: Admiral, I appreciate your warning of the coming storm. But I feel my duty to my nation and to my family is to remain here in Helghan, where my wife and child were born.

Although suspected, confirmation of the ISA's planned invasion accelerated the preparation of our defenses. We were also able to feed misinformation regarding those defenses, ensuring that our Arc Batteries came as a surprise to the ISA fleet (August 2359):

GREY: ...your words were reassuring, Ambassador. I feel confident that our 'Archangel' will swoop without having its wings clipped.

With the ISA invasion imminent, the Ambassador is judged to outlived his usefulness. However, recent communications regarding asylum for a Helghast defector were brought to the attention of Colonel Kratek. The Colonel has ordered that no action be taken against the Embassy until the defector is confirmed to be inside the building.

Embassy Schematics

"Embassy blueprints — looks like the Higs have done their homework. And they throw small army against one Heavy bodyguard. Lucky you drop by, no?"
—Blackjack

No additional comment here. Just a bit of fluff.

quote:

VEKTAN EMBASSY, PYRRHUS BUILDING SCHEMATICS

PUBLIC AREA

Outer courtyard leading to the atrium, waiting room and reception booths for processing of visas. etc. No public access is permitted since the Ambassador was placed under house arrest in the Embassy.

PRIVATE OFFICES

Administrative center of the Embassy complex. Helghast staff have been evacuated. Vektan personnel imprisoned or executed. Confidential documents remain here under lockdown pending removal or destruction.

AMBASSADOR'S RESIDENCE

Separate area of the complex, accessible through the private offices. Living quarters for the Ambassador and his family on the top floor, together with the Ambassador's private office. Also comprises a lobby area for receptions and other diplomatic functions, decorated with Vektan artifacts. The Ambassador and his family are being held in the Residence under the protection of their Helghast bodyguard, assigned to the family when the Ambassador was first appointed (single Heavy Trooper, heavily armed).

INNER COURTYARD

Enclosed courtyard leading from the Ambassador's Residence, with elevator access to private docks below. Decorated with foliage imported from Vekta. Previously used for recreation and entertaining guests.

—Diplomatic unit, Military Intelligence

Asylum Request

"Hm... For a defector, this guy Savic drive hard bargain. I think he have something the ISA want real bad. See what you can find out, Danner..."
—Blackjack

It's a pretty sweet deal Savic is getting here. Wipes his hands of the whole virus thing... trusting it to Grey, though? I'm sure nothing bad will happen there, no?

quote:

HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL

TO: ISA MILITARY INTELLIGENCE

SUBJECT: DOCTOR MANDOR SAVIC

As instructed by Admiral Grey, Ambassador Harkin has continued negotiations with Helghast citizen DOCTOR MANDOR SAVIC regarding his request for political asylum. These negotiations have been made more difficult by the house arrest imposed on the Ambassador and Doctor Savic's extreme anxiety for his own safety. As a result there has been no direct contact and discussions have been conducted via covert channels.

Nonetheless, Ambassador Harkin considers Savic to be a valuable asset whose offer to defect is genuine. His background in scientific research and close connections to Colonel Kratek reinforce the importance of securing him before he is compromised.

The Ambassador has agreed a deal with Doctor Savic, who makes the following demands:

- Extraction from the Vektan Embassy in Pyrrhus and safe passage off Helghan.
- Relocation on a colony of his choice, under an assumed identity.
- Appointment as head of a fully funded civil scientific research program.
- Full immunity from any criminal prosecution after the war.

Doctor Savic also insists that following extraction he will deal only with ADMIRAL GREY, from whom he has sought written assurances that any intelligence he delivers to the ISA will not be put to offensive use.

In return for these demands, Doctor Savic promises to deliver the following:

-SECTION REDACTED FOR SECURITY PURPOSES ON ORDERS FROM ADMIRAL GREY-

As soon as the relevant papers are received, arrangements can be made for Doctor Savic to be conveyed secretly to the Embassy ready for extraction.

—Security Attaché, Vektan Embassy,
Pyrrhus

Orders To Task Force

"So, the Higs see the Ambassador and his family as disposable asset. The Helghast defector... not so much. Is intriguing, no?"
—Blackjack

KRATEK KNOWS! KRATEK KNOWS WHAT SAVIC IS UP TO!

quote:

ORDERS TO SENIOR OFFICERS, EMBASSY TASK FORCE

COLONEL VYKTOR KRATEK

Now that the ISA invasion has begun, the pretense of international law can be set aside. You are ordered to storm the Vektan Embassy at once.

The Ambassador is a proven enemy of the Helghast state, a spy who calls himself a diplomat. He is to be brought in for interrogation. His wife revealed her true loyalties when she married a Vektan — she too must pay the price for her actions.

Be warned, the loyalty of their Helghast bodyguard cannot be relied upon either. The soldier in question (Heavy Trooper C. Borischek, known to them as "Boris") has been assigned to the family for five years and may have become unduly attached to them.

You have permission to use LETHAL FORCE if resistance is met.

However, the Ambassador's son should not be harmed if it can be avoided. The child cannot be blamed for the Vektan blood that pollutes his veins. He should be taken into custody so the state can decide his future.

Note also - a civilian defector, Doctor Savic, is believed to have taken refuge inside the Embassy. If so, he should be apprehended. I WANT THIS TRAITOR TAKEN ALIVE.

You are to sack the buildings, seize all Top Secret material and destroy the rest. Leave nothing for the Vektan dogs, should they come sniffing.

— Colonel Kratek

Scientific Research

"Seems like this Doctor Savic is messed up in some pretty sick stuff. Treat his own people like lab rats. Question is, why?"
—Blackjack

I think we have the benefit of playing Shadow Fall at the same time... not of this intel is particularly shocking. We all knew it was going to be a horrific biohazard. Hell, it's been pointed out before that Kratek looks like a Resident Evil villain. What is interesting is the mention of a "Facility X-01".

quote:

SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH RECORDS -
PROJECT ESCHATON
DOCTOR MANDOR SAVIC

SOURCING AND PROCESSING OF TEST
SUBJECTS

The supply of test subjects is finally meeting our needs, following direct intervention by Colonel Kratek with Chief Vitter of the Pyrrhus Police.

With the threat of ISA invasion growing, a city-wide curfew has been introduced, giving the police summary powers of arrest. The Colonel urged Chief Vitter to target this at the lower segments of society, rather then lust hardened criminals. This has had the desired impact on the delivery of subjects to the research facility.

We have also streamlined processing of subjects within the facility itself. In the absence of large holding areas, subjects are placed in sealed containment vessels immediately on arrival. They are then delivered via automated transport direct to the laboratory areas.

Apart from its efficiency, this system eliminates the need for human contact and eradicates the risk of accidental cross-contamination. This is especially important given the high levels of emesis and hemorrhaging associated with the latest form of the pathogen.

Depending upon the method of exposure, test subjects can present with bleeding from eyes, nose and throat, vomiting (including of blood) and gastrointestinal bleeding. These reactions are followed in all cases by rapid disintegration of internal organs and other tissue. This presents a considerable biohazard risk.

Incineration at 10000C following experimental analysis ensures hygienic disposal of all test materials.

—Facility X01, May 2359

Intercepted Intelligence

"This Ambassador, he was brave man, but I think he plays with fire. Now he risk getting burned. And his family too - unless you get them out of there."
—Blackjack

Re-reading this bit of intel I realize I didn't need to type up anything under the character portraits for the Harkins.

quote:

HELGHAST INTELLIGENCE REPORT

#CQ34P - INTERCEPTED JUNE 11, 2359

AMBASSADOR SEPP HARKIN

Nationality: Vektan

Born on Vekta to family with distinguished record of public service. Educated at prestigious Oas City University, graduating with degree in Colonial Law. Practiced law on Earth for several years, drawing attention with involvement in high profile colonial disputes including Detta Pavonis and Omicron Eridani. This led to recruitment into the Vektan diplomatic service, 2344.

Early assignment negotiating settlement to the Arcturus insurrection brought him into contact with Captain (later Admiral) Alex Grey. Pair apparently developed mutual respect which matured into friendship. This became strained as Grey grew disillusioned with efforts to negotiate a settlement with the Helghast and began advocating military deterrence. However, the relationship remains of interest to Intelligence (see report #KL63U).

Subject appointed Deputy Chief of Mission, Pyrrhus, 2346. Married Helghast citizen Valeria Tobek in 2348, son Justus born a year later. Seen by Vekta as natural candidate for Ambassador to Helghan when the post became vacant in 2354.

VALERIA HARKIN

Nationality: Helghast

Born 2315 in Pyrrhus to prominent Tobek family. Educated Pyrrhus Academy, graduated 2336. Pursued successful career in administration. Promoted to 3rd Assistant Controller, Ministry of Public Works.

Given official reprimand for criticism of promotion opportunities for women. Met Vektan diplomat Sepp Harkin at society event in 2346 and began clandestine relationship. Went public in 2348 when Harkin proposed marriage. Defied family and public opinion by accepting.

JUSTUS HARKIN

Nationality: Helghast / Vektan

Born 2349. Pyrrhus. Educated Vekta City Elementary (2353 - 54) and Pyrrhus Junior Academy (5th Grade).

It's a boat! Just a... boat. There are two of them at the embassy. Savic takes one, we take the other.

Yup.

Boat.

M133 Proximity Grenade

Cost: 8600V

A sticky, proximity triggered explosive that can be easily placed in tactically advantageous positions.

I've never found a game that did proximity explosives as well as Goldeneye 64 and as such, I generally don't care for them. These are fine. They do what they say they will, but I'm not a huge fan.

Arc Missile

Cost: 8000V

Dual function drone can operate as an escort or be fired in direction of facing. Discharges incapacitating, Arc electricity at targets within range.

Surprisingly effective considering it just floats slightly above your head. Is essentially a proximity death ray. While it's active, anyone who comes close gets electricated with white hot petrusite death. Limited shock stuns. A little bit more will drop them for a mercy kill. Keep it sustained and they flatline. The biggest drawback is that this thing is an energy glutton. The battery quickly drains as long as it's active. It drains even faster when using the shock. Once the power is up, it deactivates.

The fire and forget mode isn't as nice, but it does have it's applications. Once set loose it flies forward in a straight line. If you send it into a cluster of troops, it's great, but if you miss then it's gone. It'll keep driving forward until shot down or the battery dies. Enemies don't tend to target it when it's escorting you, but some will prioritize it when dumb fired.

Ghost Generator

Cost: 12500V

Personal stealth camouflage system that effectively cloaks the operator while not engage in combat.

It's your bog-standard sci-fi shooter cloaking device. Works as you might expect it to work. When you stand still or walk, you remain cloaked. Run, fire your gun, or otherwise move in a manner that is too fast or loud and the cloak will temporarily drop giving away our position. I'm not one for playing that stealthy, so I don't get a lot of use out of this personally.

Like most VAN-Guard tech, it has limited batteries. This is Blackjack's VAN-Guard of choice.

A few returning mooks appear here. The Support Troopers are back. More annoyingly, the Pyro Troopers. Only these ones have large tanks we can target versus the faster ones in KZ2 that sported those handheld napalm-like flamethrowers. Small victories?

Support Trooper

Identifiable by the rocket launcher strapped to their backs. Target them first! They're pretty drat accurate with their rockets and won't hesitate to spam them your way. Luckily they sport the VC9s, so they have to reload after every shot. If you get too close they will switch to their sidearm, so if you don't have a clear shot run towards them!

Pyro Trooper

Heavily armoured. Lots of explosives can take them down, but the most reliable way is probably to target the tank on their back. They're slower, but they will inexorably close the gap. Their flamethrowers have a fair bit of distance, too, so clip their tanks fast. If you don't, the fire can quickly obscure your vision making it harder to aim--or, you know, kill you. Running douses the flames faster, go figure. Killzone physics. Brutal melee is a great way to instakill them, by-passing their armour. Of course, you gotta get close so it only really works if you sneak up on them--unless you want to burn. These guys are honestly some of the most dangerous enemies in the game. Don't mess around with them. I've probably died more to them than any other enemy in the game.

Heavy concept art:

Boat ideas:

Vektan embassy before the attack:

And after:

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 9, 2024

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Altman be praised, an update!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
hell yah!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
and i have got a few weeks worth of a backlog this time too!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

hooray more zones to kill!

quote:

We have also streamlined processing of subjects within the facility itself. In the absence of large holding areas, subjects are placed in sealed containment vessels immediately on arrival. They are then delivered via automated transport direct to the laboratory areas.

this paragraph is posted twice in the intel file - your goof, or the game's, or whatever source you're grabbing the text from?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Boris must be sweating like a beast inside that suit.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Maybe it's got portable AC in the back. Big enough for it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Psion posted:

Maybe it's got portable AC in the back. Big enough for it.

y'know, this whole time i've indeed wondered if that's what those explosive tanks are supposed to be on their backs.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
He also walks like he's poo poo his pants.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

biosterous posted:

this paragraph is posted twice in the intel file - your goof, or the game's, or whatever source you're grabbing the text from?

ooo, good catch. That's from the Killzone: Wikia. It's usually a pretty dang accurate and well curated Wiki, so I didn't bother to proofread what I copied!

and speaking of Killzone: Wikia, they have the answer to what's on Boris's back:

This being Killzone, it turns out it's NOT air conditioning. I mean, it's cooling, yeah, but for his bullets, not for Boris. Turns out he IS sweating up a sauna in there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bony tony posted:

He also walks like he's poo poo his pants.

like?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I forget, does the equippable minigun from earlier Killzones look like the one Boris is using?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bony tony posted:

I forget, does the equippable minigun from earlier Killzones look like the one Boris is using?

Yes, Boris is toting around a version of the Scylla Cerberus chaingun from Killzone: Liberation wielded by Metrac in the pre-DLC final boss fight of that game. The minigun in Killzone 3 and Shadow Fall is a different model.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 1, 2021

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Blindsided Sally posted:

and i have got a few weeks worth of a backlog this time too!

aight. i'm doing it! I'm working on another update! i swear! i am actually grabbing the screens for the analysis right now! we're not gonna go another year before the next update!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's a Pride Month miracle!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
hell yah it is!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
haha, i'm five minutes in and this convergence of dumb jokes happens... a preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYykIjU3BSo

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
H A R D

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sources report that

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

"What is a euphemism? Hard." Let Us Playeth etc etc

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Benoit just delivers that line such a weird fuckinh emphasis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

You guys are updating? Must be a fever dream.