Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Also, having your life gently caressed sounds much more pleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
If there's anything you guys want to see in this game, feel free to mention it. I, uh, may have cracked open the quest and now have complete edit access, so if there's anything you guys want to see, let me know.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

DimiPZC posted:

If there's anything you guys want to see in this game, feel free to mention it. I, uh, may have cracked open the quest and now have complete edit access, so if there's anything you guys want to see, let me know.

Every time a character says something icky and/or bigoted, have them add "...because this quest's creator is a huge creep."

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Carpator Diei posted:

Every time a character says something icky and/or bigoted, have them add "...because this quest's creator is a huge creep."

(image removed)

Like so?

DimiPZC fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 15, 2020

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

DimiPZC posted:

Like so?

:sickos:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DimiPZC posted:

Like so?

Perfect.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

DimiPZC posted:

Like so?
:discourse:

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

OST - Lake Hylia

I don't blame you if you can't make out much of the map with how dark it is and with rain covering everything on it. Map design is really mediocre at best if you haven't figured it out yet.

Wind Waker deserved better than this :(

We can't do anything with these docks yet.

Oh look, a Zora!

: I see humans! Do you have burner, boomerang and some kind of ladder, like all humans do? I hear hill humans have fire shield and blue cloth, too!
: We aren't that resourceful yet...

Hint. HINT. You can nab a blue tunic and magic shield around the death mountain area. The hint is because both of these are missable. :shepface:

Also, this is telling you that you need the 3 items found in Kakariko to proceed in this area. Hope you grinded up those 150 rupees :D

There's a boat down here, which if stepped on...

Takes us here!

South is a dead end. What do we do, then?

If you guessed "Boomerang the sleeping goriya", congratulations on your newfound psychic abilities, cause that is correct!

This island is decently big, being a 3x3. Topright corner of it has a magic refill an-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bSEfx6D8mA

...I don't survive this encounter.

On the topleft corner of the island, there's this area, where if you step on the brown patch:

We get a glimpse into Knil and Myra's relation.

The center of the island is where we want to be. See that blue tree?

Burn it. This is Z1 burn logic btw, where you need to have the flame linger on the bush for it to burn.

OST - Zora Hideout

Under the not-signposted blue tree is plot relevance.

: Where are you?
: We came with peace!
: You don't see me? Wow, rock'n'roll, baby!

No, this does not ever have plot relevance, or any relevance at all for the entire game. I don't know why the gently caress this is here.

Ah, yes, casual racism in my zelda!

: So sad...
: Oh, be quiet...
: She won't be!

Ah, yes, women never shut up, you see. Casual sexism as well here.

gently caress you too buddy.

Crossroad up here.

: I love humans so much! They are so interesting! The only problem that they can't breathe underwater. This is also the reason for why can't you pass here! Did you know that we built this place out of a small cave for a hideout? When the human king closed down some areas, Zora's Domain froze for good. We needed to escape the goriyas somehow...

I hope appreciate you that I translate trainwreck that this is.

I appreciate that the minimap icon is actually readable in this cave. Now I can actually tell where the gently caress I am, in a simple hard to get lost in cave :shepface:

Treasure!

Oh, nevermind. It's fake. :mad:

Thanks but no thanks.

That hole requires the ladder to pass. We've boomeranged a goriya, burned a tree, and laddered over a pit. Now the game knows that we have all 3 items.

: No! Why do the Zoras need to die?
: You should know it, little human. Your king did these horrible things with Hyrule. But I don't blame you, you are just a little human.
: What did our king do? You mean closing down some areas?
: So, you really don't know... Can the human king be such evil? He not only swarms the land with monster, but won't even tell his subjects about it. I'd give anything to the brave person who eliminates the monsters from beneath the lake...
: Anything? I don't want to seem disrespectful, but if I do some monster killing, I get the Ancient Artifact?
: !!! Oh... I said 'anything' didn't I? Then I need to keep my word... A Zora always keeps his word. Altough, you need a Hookshot to reach the deep. I gave the only one to another adventurer.Nevertheless, take this raft. It's also very useful...

Spoiler alert: I despise Myra for many reasons, and we're starting to see hints as to why. She's easily my second least favorite character in the game. As for my first... we'll cover him far later.

: Go bravely! You know you done when you are teleported out from the dungeon. Good luck!

We have a raft. This lets us raft down predetermined paths. In the original Zelda, you could only sail north and south from exactly 2 locations in the game. In ZC, the path can be drawn out with raft flags, and if a raft branch flag is placed down on an intersection, you can hold a direction to go down that branch (provided there's a raft path flagged in that direction from where you are and you're on a raft branch flag). Oh, and you can only start rafting from a designated "dock" tile, and only if it has a raft flag on it.

Does that sound convoluted? It is, and like all good kaizo makers, ZC questmakers love to use these in the most asinine way possible.

Nothing to the west of the king.

We have to sit through this useless dialogue every time we enter *and* every time we leave. Game design!

We never checked out what's north.

Wow it's loving loving nothing

If we come back here with the first dungeon item, we can use it on that tree to open a staircase. No, in case you're wondering, the first dungeon item has nothing to do with flames or burning trees or anything that'd make logical sense, come on now.

I think you all already know what the first dungeon item is. After all, it was just mentioned. I'll let you ponder just how much loving sense it makes to use it on this tree.

We can raft off any of these docks now.

Casual whirlpool here to trap you until you branch out of it by holding left.

Oh hello there! How are you doi-

Okay then, see ya!

We can raft onto this patch of land. One of the edges here is an invisible dock combo cause that makes sense.

The left wall is bombable, but it turns out your own bombs hurt you and they do a shitton of damage. CastChaos thought that was good design.

There's a piece of heart in here! Finally, we have 4 hearts instead of 3 to work with.

You know, cause that matters when the creator is already throwing 2 heart damage darknuts at you :shepface:

There's another dock point on the east side of the island that we need to take.

It takes us to this more barren looking island.

North end of the island has this weird outcropping that never comes into play. No really, it's useless.

The island has nothing else of importance besides the entrance to the first dungeon, so let's just get this over with.

6 updates in and we finally are in level 1. Yay.

COUNT OF ABSURDITY:
Protagonist being awful: 3 (I count Myra being an awful character for this as well)
Yikes: 4
Permanently miss-able: 4

DimiPZC fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 15, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Jinkies. This sounds like it would be extremely frustrating and unsatisfying to play.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
It feels like in general this rom has a lot of "dead air" where you're not doing anything other than listening to the author's bad writing.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I actually like the idea of the random encounter tiles, if they had actual rewards and were throwing you into level-appropriate challenges. The implementation here is stupid but "whoops you got ambushed, fight your way out of the screen for a bonus 50 rupees" could be fun.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

OST - Death Bell's Toll

This dungeon is the first time we'll be seeing this game's custom made soundtrack. This particular track was a generic midi made by Nuvo early on, and CastChaos took such a liking to it that Nuvo proceeded to make him unique tracks for other stuff in the game.

Nuvo gave this track a remake earlier this year under the name of, well, the name of this dungeon.

Dimipicks (totally not a ripoff of OFSelects I swear) - Source of the Flow

IMO the remake sounds much more calming and dungeonlike and doesn't have the blaring base the original has, though it comes at the cost of it lacking the energy the original has, so pick your poison :shrug:

Anyways, we have 3 paths here.

It seems that I chose poorly.

Free key! That was early.

The path to the left leads to this area. Let's read the tablet!

: They are swimming very fast and are little Please stay out of the water!
: I will try, Honey

The water hurts you, but only in specific arbitrary locations.

Oh, wow! Look at all that money I can't have!

If you tank to it you still can't get any of them cause they're just fake tiles.

Oh wow, it's a lategame item that I won't get until the final macguffin dungeon. Haha game your so fuuuuunnyyyyyyy

You'd think the item you can get is the middle one cause green statue but it's actually this key cause why not.

Heading up and left from the start on the lower segment takes us here, to water that doesn't hurt you at all. Way to be consistent, game!

That block is a boss lock. We need a boss key to unlock it.

Oh, there's a barrier blocking our path.

Slashing the blue flame lowers it.

This clueless wizzrobe keeps teleporting in and out in place. It doesn't do anything besides that though.

There's a readme included in the game and I think this might be the enemy it refers to as a "halfwitrobe". You can read the readme here: https://pastebin.com/8VbVfpjN

It's just a cycling damage combo.

Nice flopping shark.

Nice heart piece we can't get yet.

Up here is more water that doesn't hurt us. Spoiler alert: that was just a one time gimmick that the quest got bored with immediately after and tossed it.

Taking the upper route here...

And this... is to go further beyond! I mean higher.

Wait, it's empty? What the gently caress.

Oh wait, no, you just have to step on it.

Of course.

Anyways the compass here is actually a reskinned map that replaces the map (that you start with) with a more detailed, informative map. Of all the dumb poo poo this quest does, this is one of the few things that I think is kinda clever.

The compass inengine just reveals the designated boss location, and that's it.

Killing all the enemies down here gives us a pack of bombs.

Lock block here...

And I get to this room before the teleporting halfwit gibs me. I have a low attention span so I put this path off until later, but even if we proceed we'd just be met with more and more locks.

Let's explore to the right then.

There's a goriya invisible under the statue to snipe you with boomerangs.

Killing it via hitbox abuse does nothing.

More rafting...

Pay attention to this room cause this room is dumb and we'll learn why later.

Door's shut.

We have to aim our candle carefully to light this torch. Remember, one use per screen, so if we fail we have to raft all the way back down 2 screens and then raft all the way back up here. This happened to me twice :shepface:

Lots of slime in here.

Killing them all nets us another key.

I decide to be noncommital and go through this door instead of committing to the other key gauntlet.

Traps we need to dodge...

More bombs for killing all enemies.

And another locked door. Time to play, "GUESS! THAT! TRIGGER!"

Boomerang the loving tongue guy, cause why not :shepicide:

Room gets darker for no reason again.

We need to bomb this cracked wall, and...

Wow, it's loving nothing!

If we could cross this pit, we could go to the boss by stepping on the boss tile. For now though, it's a wasted key.

Last path we have yet to explore that isn't the key gauntlet.

Long corridor...

Long dark corridor...

It's the end... of the long dark corridor!

Killing the skeleton spawns two chests.

One has a key...

And the other has pain. drat mimics.

Let's go back to the key gauntlet...

One of the floor combos lowers the barriers here. It's the suspicious looking one on the ground.

Neat looking dam.

Another locked door...

And hopefully the final locked door in this key gauntlet!

gently caress!

Killing all the enemies at the suspicious dam only gives us magic cause why not.

Okay, want to take a guess where the last key is?

Remember this room?

You hold loving right :psyduck:

And this takes you down these loving stairs :psypop:

And now we have progress!

And I used my last bomb on the center of the room before realizing this wall is cracked :doh:

Time to backtrack to town and buy some more! :shepface:

I also pick up another fish while I'm here... Just in case, y'know?

Lastly, I buy a 2 use potion for later using my bottle. Using the bottle permanently activates these shops.

:fuckoff: Myra

It's around this time that my jewish buddy in the call pointed out that these goriyas look a lot like certain hook-nosed caricatures.

I'm inclined to think she has a point. Anti-Semitism!

Vires! They split into bats, and depending on the type of Vire they may reform into more Vires over time!

I accidentally trigger the boomerang secret while trying to deal with these bats.

And now we're up here!

Oh boy! There's a key in the center, but it's blocked. Take your guesses now people, what do we do here?

Dingdingdingding! Slash the blue flame!

With the hopefully final key under our belt, we can unlock this door to...

There's another loving floor!? :psyduck:

COUNT OF ABSURDITY:
gently caress off Myra/Knil: 4
Yikes: 4
Permanently miss-able: 4

DimiPZC fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 15, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What was the point with all the treasure chests?

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Quackles posted:

What was the point with all the treasure chests?

There was no point. The point was to obscure the screen so you don't notice the music tile that clearly indicates you go right. :shepface:

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Us scrubs simply don't understand the genius and complexity of this dungeon's design.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Of course there's more dungeon, you didn't even get an item yet!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Hey now, don't knock this too hard. This game taught me those weird things on the wall in the Swamp Palace are grates!

...That's all I got

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
The soundtrack has at least one decent track that's unique to this game. If the rest of the game was just crappy instead of outright repulsive I'd say that was something.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
This feels like the developer actively hates you, the player, and wants to waste your time.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I assume those bubbles are even more visually irritating in motion?

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Not just the bubbles, but the pulsing dungeon colors as well! :shepface:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Offensive in every possible way.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

DimiPZC posted:

:ducksiren:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DimiPZC posted:

oh god why

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

DimiPZC posted:

The bubbles I don't mind, but after a few seconds the colours are making me feel like someone's massaging my eyes.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

OST - Death Bell's Toll
Dimipicks - Source of the Flow

Hoo boy second floor time. Again, pick your soundtrack "poison", though I won't fault the admittedly skilled composer for having their work be used by a lovely game.

We have a choice of where to go!

Only it's not a choice because one path is a dead end.

We can't cross that pit yet, so left it is.

We have an upper and lower path we can take. Let's take the upper route first.

Oh dang, there's a shutter in the way. Guess we can't pass.

Haha no you just bomb the statue.

We're on the other side of the pit we saw earlier. Another boss lock here as well.

drat, a deadend. This isn't an actual armos, it won't wake up.

Lower path it is then!

This water gets electrified every few seconds, dealing half a heart of damage. Surprisingly lenient, except that it stays on long enough that you get hit multiple times and take knockback, so it can take out over half your life if you stay in it.

Treasure!

Nevermind, just the boss key. We can open boss doors and locks now though!

All the water here is electrified.

Damnit, can't cross this pit.

This door is also blocked. Wow, we've hit a complete dead end. You have the next few images to guess what we need to do.

I run out of bombs bombing random walls, so back to town to pick up more bombs.

We can unlock this lock on our way back, though.

It's a handy shortcut back to the upper floor.

Have you guessed what we need to do yet? Maybe we missed a bombable wall?

Haha no you just bomb the statue.

These floating skulls are resprited gibdos, I think I've already said. They deal a lotta damage and take a lotta damage.

Well, that door sure seems important.

This chest has a key for us that we'll be using soon.

Damnit, we can't cross this gap without... a gap crossing item! Wow I have no idea what it could be!

This is a really long corridor for little to no reason other than to make backtracking a pain.

Most of the rooms in this corridor looks like this.

Deadend!

South of where we came in. Like I said, boring hallway.

Weird blocks.

You can block the one on the left up! Sadly, we can't push the one on the right.

Heading up the right side...

And boss door!

Treasure. Woo.

: into many things! You can also stun most enemies with it! Even more! You can grab items from far away! Just extend and...BOING!

We found the hookshot. Woo.

I realized that I haven't shown off the subscreen in dungeons yet, so I pause. There's a more detailed map here. It also tells us how many keys are on each floor and what the dungeon item is, but only after collecting the "compass".

We can just hookshot across this gap to get back.

Finally, south of the other boss lock we have this room. This room gates off the rooms to the left, so it tempts me, but I don't figure it out until later. I'd say it's super dumb but really it's just the same standard of dumb that's been this dungeon.

Welp, we have no hookshot point to reach the topmiddle platform. Guess what we need to do here?

If you guessed hookshot the bubbles, you're right and also more big brained than me.

Pols Voice! These guys die in one hit to the arrow, but 9 hits to the wood sword. They also deal 2 hearts of damage.

Killing it removes the block in front of the door, but we're out of keys.

Roundup time!

I pick up this Piece of Heart back on floor 1.

Even with the hookshot, I can't cross this. There needs to be a hookshot point on the other side.

Back on floor 2, one of the keys is here. This chest is empty, but thankfully not a mimic.

This one has our key.

We can also hookshot to this empty chest down here.

And that's all 3 keys on this floor!

Let's use the remaining 2 keys.

: Turn back or you will be destroyed!
: But we are here to make things good! The King of Zoras asked us to kill the monsters here! We are on your side!
: Monsters? My side? You are a follower of Vaati?
: Ummm... Yes...?
: Then you must know what is my favorite food. Bring it to me and you can pass.

Oh gently caress off.

We need to give him the fish. Good thing I bought one just in case! :shepface:

Hmm...

Stepping behind this block removes it.

Ah.

Sure enough, we can cross over to the boss tile now. Stepping on it triggers the boss.

OST - Aladdin Prince Reprise

Holy sprite rip, batman! ...Is that loving aladdin music?

Aquaria hey, know them you may
But not that it matters

Wait for tektites
And come to grips with futility

Yes wait for these little craps
Whos movements are randomization traps

Say hello to your precious secret triggers!

So the secret requires one to use a hookshot
Another one spawns, need I go on?
Take it from me

These undesirable pests
Make everything a mess

They send me packing on a one way trip
My prospects take a terminal dip

My movement frozen
My future is chosen
To be stuck in this stupid ladder softlock, whoopee!

So looooong
Ex-boss attempt....!
EhehehehehehahaHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!

*cough*

This boss is really dumb. I'm sure you all want to see some exciting gameplay footage of this boss, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb3SlOjfADU

:shepface:

Back to where we were before the softlock.

We don't need to kill all the things this time, we just need to hookshot over to the topright.

OST - Boss Clear

That boss was somehow both something and nothing at the same time. Schrodinger's nothing.

We want to step in the portal that appeared.

: It's over, my beauty! Let's claim the Artifact!

And we're teleported out of the dungeon.

We still have to sit through this dialogue every time we enter Zora's Hideout.

: Aquaria! You saved all of the Zoras! We can't thank you enough!

: been given the Sapphire of the Zoras... the Artifact which proves that you two are the best friend of Zoras! Stand near me to receive this gift. Whenever you stand near me, you can hold the Artifact up!

Grab the Heart Container, walk up to him, and...

uwu

: The Goron Artifact is the next, up on MtDeath!

It starts playing cave music for a second and you have to hold down or right to proceed. This is to cause a carryover secret to let you go and explore Death Mountain, cause older versions had to do it in a dumb workaround way.

We still have to sit through this dialogue every time we leave as well.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Man, at least for that first bombable statue it looks cracked. Your first solution would probably still be to bomb the shutter, since that's what you did before (iirc?), but.

That second one was way worse, especially since while you had to bomb a statue before it looks completely different than the one you bombed.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wait, so all you had to do to defeat the boss was hookshot across the platforms and hit the switch once? :stonk:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A proper gamefaqs boss.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, uh, don't you get bomb drops from killing random enemies?

Also I chuckled at your attempt to fit the boss description to the song.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Quackles posted:

Wait, so all you had to do to defeat the boss was hookshot across the platforms and hit the switch once? :stonk:

In order:

Kill all the tektites, who are this point can only be damaged with the sword as we don't have ranged weapons, they block the hookshot with a very huge hitbox, have completely random movement, and if they get hit by the hookshot they freeze in place and continue to block the hookshot.

Afterwards, hit 2 blocks that appear with the hookshot.

Finally, hookshot to the platform and win.

All while the boss fires extremely nonthreatening fireballs at you.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So, in this boss fight, the actual boss is the least threatening and difficult part of it. Got it. GAME DESIGN!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

LiefKatano posted:

Man, at least for that first bombable statue it looks cracked. Your first solution would probably still be to bomb the shutter, since that's what you did before (iirc?), but.

That second one was way worse, especially since while you had to bomb a statue before it looks completely different than the one you bombed.

Game design rule 1 is consistency. If some ledges are climbable and some aren't, you paint all the climbable ones red and never let the player climb a non-red one, because if you do then the player has to try climbing every non-red ledge, just in case.

This game seems to have been designed specifically to demonstrate why this rule is important.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I poked fun of the art style clashing with the Minish Cap Goron earlier but wow this dragon blows it out of the water. What loving game is that thing from?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

quote is not edit

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Augus posted:

I poked fun of the art style clashing with the Minish Cap Goron earlier but wow this dragon blows it out of the water. What loving game is that thing from?
Looks like a 16-bit JRPG. It's this huge, static-rear end sprite that fires Mario Bros. fireballs from the general area of its mouth. Unfortunately, while I thought it might have been from one of the SNES Final Fantasy games, I couldn't find an enemy or boss sprite that looked like it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Looks like a 16-bit JRPG. It's this huge, static-rear end sprite that fires Mario Bros. fireballs from the general area of its mouth. Unfortunately, while I thought it might have been from one of the SNES Final Fantasy games, I couldn't find an enemy or boss sprite that looked like it.

It looks a decent bit like FF4 Leviathan to me, maybe from a port?

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Hey at least this update wasn’t all bad. It reminded me that Aladdin was a great movie and I should rewatch it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

PurpleXVI posted:

It looks a decent bit like FF4 Leviathan to me, maybe from a port?
That's what I thought at first, too, but actually Leviathan looks quite different:

That's the sprite used in the PSP version, but it's basically an HD version of the original, and the other remakes/ports seem to keep things similar. And of course, the DS/Mobile/Steam ports are all 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It looks like something that would be at the top of the screen while the party was at the bottom.