Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nihilarian posted:

I mean there's nothing stopping you from putting your shield in your right hand and your weapon in your left :v:

Or from dualshielding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I think geop would've loved the boxing ring build

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The Lucerne is a Lucerne Hammer, which is named after the Swiss town of the same name. This means the Swiss are canton in Dark Souls.

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal

Nihilarian posted:

I mean there's nothing stopping you from putting your shield in your right hand and your weapon in your left :v:

Not to mention that Artorius is left-handed and his sword has a different moveset if equipped in the left hand.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

DS2 has my favorite double weapon set not TOO far from here, which I hope drops

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 8, 2020

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

White Coke posted:

The Lucerne is a Lucerne Hammer, which is named after the Swiss town of the same name. This means the Swiss are canton in Dark Souls.
boohemian earspoon

Kangra
May 7, 2012

In Dark Souls 2, the Onion tweets you.

TED BUNNDY
May 30, 2009

SO HUNGRY
Pork Pro
Happy to have you back, Geop!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/MrGeop/status/1338228576081076226

Geop fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 13, 2020

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MrGeop/status/1312594261741916161

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

oh poo poo, i've been subscribed to your channel and have been watching but for some reason didn't even think to check if you were posting a thread for it again lol. Anyway, good stuff, good tracklist. The basement music was a great touch.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I loved the SFX when the big boys did their thing. :allears:

JACOB! :argh:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Garrand posted:

oh poo poo, i've been subscribed to your channel and have been watching but for some reason didn't even think to check if you were posting a thread for it again lol. Anyway, good stuff, good tracklist. The basement music was a great touch.
That's my bad; I should probably put the thread URL in the description but I don't know if folks really look at that (or if there's much SA overlap) :staredog:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Vicas posted:

They also have holes

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Seems Dark Souls should have already been using RE1 music because it fits like a good glove. I appreciate you not letting letting the bad basement theme overshadow the really good basement theme.

I guess when the player can warp to any bonfire whenever they want you throw in a few dead end rooms because why not.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Congratulations Geop, you made the perfect video!

It's just so...other!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Jake is the Angsty Rival Geop needed to push himself forward, level up and finish this game

A true hero :patriot:

necroid
May 14, 2009

so happy to see this LP is on again, and right when I'm replaying DS2 myself!

it's very painful but also very fascinating to see Geop parry almost every hit with his face, I'm playing a supersquishy mage glass cannon and if I played like this I'd be dead in 2 hits

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Look what happened, seems like Goonhilde < Jake

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Glad to see you're back!

Will Shieldfried also be making a comeback?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I have no shame in recycling old jokes.

Also there might be a tiny bit of a sync mis-match between Kuvo's audio and my own. A few parts sounded like we were almost talking over each other, so I'll tweak that in the next episode :staredog: Minor thing I just now noticed.

Geop fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 24, 2020

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
that cursed portrait has nashandra at 9ish heads tall lol

Pennfalath posted:

Will Shieldfried also be making a comeback?

idk if i could ever enjoy streaming a dark soul game again after playing sekiro

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Kuvo posted:

idk if i could ever enjoy streaming a dark soul game again after playing sekiro
Holding out hope for an Armored Core IP reboot, where you can use shields and become a jet-powered battering ram

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

These are some terrible bonfires.

So how does THE WALL in Dark Souls 2 compared to THE WALL in Dark Souls 1?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

These are some terrible bonfires.

So how does THE WALL in Dark Souls 2 compared to THE WALL in Dark Souls 1?

We have only seen a pale imitation of the Dark Souls 2 wall though.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There are wall builds in DS2.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
:golfclap:

I've seen quite a few complaints from players that the castle's layout doesn't make the slightest bit of sense as an actual place, but this is another case where I think that the weirdness is intentional. It was built using those golems that were created with the stolen power of the giants, and the results speak for themselves.
What I'm saying is, the building is a cursed endeavour constructed with the ill-understood methods of other people appropriated in the service of a vainglorious purpose, so the Groverhaus comparison is very apt indeed.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Carpator Diei posted:

I've seen quite a few complaints from players that the castle's layout doesn't make the slightest bit of sense as an actual place, but this is another case where I think that the weirdness is intentional. It was built using those golems that were created with the stolen power of the giants, and the results speak for themselves.
What I'm saying is, the building is a cursed endeavour constructed with the ill-understood methods of other people appropriated in the service of a vainglorious purpose, so the Groverhaus comparison is very apt indeed.

I also have my own theory for what's actually going on in this game and the weird architecture/travel times/locations stuff. But it's still a ways off I can actually share the full theory. But the primary idea is that the very first cutscene of the game is actually the player entering the Abyss, since later on we see a very similar animation (swirly black and white portal that you sink into) from the Darkdiver Covenant to enter the Dark Chasm of Old, which is highly similar to the Abyss parts of Dark Souls 1.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 24, 2020

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
There's something about solid black with white outlines design that always makes me think the building is missing textures when viewed from that distance.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Carpator Diei posted:

Right- it's similar to how in, say, Dragon Age 2 so many of the "cut corners" like reused areas and enemies falling from the sky are actually supposed to emphasize Varric's being an unreliable narrator, or how the strange diction, unusual pacing, photos of spoons and so on are deliberate and meant to make The Room feel disquieting and surreal; neither works if you go in expecting things to make literal sense, but that's why you shouldn't expect that.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
https://twitter.com/Stayd3D/status/1342674060161867776
(Other pictures from that account have spoilers for future areas, so be cautious)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Scholar was the first time From put in a lot of different NPC invaders wasen't it? I don't recall a ton of them being in the base game of 2 anyway. It is nice for people that don't have online to get to experience what invasions would be like. Since even back when it was new i don't remember getting invaded a ton unless you were in a PVP zone or a popular hotspot (the entrace bridge to Iron Keep being a very popular one IIRC)

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Geop posted:

Holding out hope for an Armored Core IP reboot, where you can use shields and become a jet-powered battering ram

yeahyeahyeahyeahyeah

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Geop posted:

There’s also perfectly logical way to do all the FromSoft things in a giant mech game. Souls become Scrap Metal, Boss Souls (for making their unique weapons) become Boss Schematics, when you die you leave behind a wreck instead of a bloodstain, weapons and armour are slotted onto the mainframe of your mech, which is upgraded by scrap metal for levelling up stats, garages instead of bonfires.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lord_Magmar posted:

There’s also perfectly logical way to do all the FromSoft things in a giant mech game. Souls become Scrap Metal, Boss Souls (for making their unique weapons) become Boss Schematics, when you die you leave behind a wreck instead of a bloodstain, weapons and armour are slotted onto the mainframe of your mech, which is upgraded by scrap metal for levelling up stats, garages instead of bonfires.

You Destroyed

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Kind of feels like it'd be missing the point a little without the possibility of falling into horrible debt and eventually being sold for medical experimentation, tho'.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Kuvo posted:

Nashandra is a distant cousin of Bayonetta.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Lord_Magmar posted:

Isn't that pretty much the surge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ilmucche posted:

Isn't that pretty much the surge?

Yes, but giant robots instead of cyber-suits.