Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Just FYI, with the new rules/lockdown in Tokyo area, events and sports are still allowed to go on, but limited at 5,000 capacity / half, whichever is smaller. They're also I believe time limited to 8 pm, so that may mean earlier starts for some shows. But no cancellations yet to my knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Night One
Ranbo *3/4
Hiromu vs ELP ****
GoD vs Dangerous Tekkers ***1/2
O'Khan vs Tanahashi ***3/4
Ospreay vs Okada *****1/4
Ibushi vs Naito *****

Night Two
KOPW 4-way *3/4
:wato: ***1/4
Cobb vs Takagi *****
EVIL vs SANADA ****1/4
Hiromu vs Ishimori ****3/4
White vs Ibushi *****1/4

NYD
Kidd vs Nagata ***1/4
SuzOUKI vs Tiger Mask & Uemura ****
Brexit vs TenKozUji ***1/2
Bullet Club vs Suzuki-gun ***
CHAOS vs Bullet Club ***1/4
:wato: ***1/4

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 8, 2021

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i agree with all of those but i think i slightly weigh cobb/shingo over okada/ospreay but both are very very close. white/ibushi is one of those matches thats gonna make both mens careers different for having had it and i think it will be very difficult for that match to be dethroned for MOTY this year, even with fans probably coming back

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Those seem agreeable enough snowflakes, although I keep going back to White/Ibushi to the point I’m starting to make out Jay’s spot calls and would maybe put it up another quarter or half a star. Maybe push Cobb/Shingo up another quarter, too.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the thing that really speaks to me in the match is right near the very end where jay white is throwing everything he can think of against the wall and none of it is working, you can see him just visibly frustrated looking at gedo helplessly as ibushi just starts to zero in with kicks and knees to finish the match. he gave everything he had and it wasn't close to being enough.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Overselling both SANADA/EVIL and Hiromu/Ishimori a bit but can't argue with any of the big ratings

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

hiromu/ishimori was very very good

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i probably don't go above 3.5 for EVIL/SANADA though

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I thought the Ishimori match was a bit better than the ELP match but not .75 stars more, idk if you move one up or the other down or what though, it’s all splitting hairs

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

JOHN CENA posted:

the thing that really speaks to me in the match is right near the very end where jay white is throwing everything he can think of against the wall and none of it is working, you can see him just visibly frustrated looking at gedo helplessly as ibushi just starts to zero in with kicks and knees to finish the match. he gave everything he had and it wasn't close to being enough.

There's that point where he just looks at Gedo and is like "... Kiwi? Kiwi?" and looks completely lost at what to do, he's thrown the kitchen sink at Ibushi and the fucker's still walking.

And then when he slaps on the TTO the second time and

some other snapshots I've been taking watching the match back:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm not sure that I agree fully with the big match snowflakes, but I'm not going to argue that Big Dave is wrong either.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/thesuperjcast/status/1347524809840726017?s=20

thought this seemed like a work and the part where ishii pinned him is weird. guess the reason why it was handled without any finality is that it's still up in the air tho

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Jay White in WWE would be so depressing (to me). Another immensely talented wrestler I’ll suddenly have no interest in watching.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That was a quick 7 year contract

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Seams posted:

Jay White in WWE would be so depressing (to me). Another immensely talented wrestler I’ll suddenly have no interest in watching.

Switchblade gonna spend 4 years in NXT learning where the hardcam is

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ending up in WWE limbo isn't a fate that I would wish upon even the detested Knife Pervert.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Rarity posted:

Nakanishi should have taken some classes there

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Who can blame a man for falling in love with Florida

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I don’t want him to go to the promotions I don’t watch and especially not the bad one, but I do hope he knows his worth. Dude is money

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

xbilkis posted:

Who can blame a man for falling in love with Florida

If only there was another promotion with a national TV deal running shows in Flordia :thunkher:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

That was a quick 7 year contract

On the Super J discord they said they texted someone in NJPW asking about Alvarez saying that and the response was "haha no"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I for one can't wait for the hot take of 2022, Jay Was Always Bad

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Rarity posted:

4 years in NXT
2 months in IC title angle where he loses to Elias
6 years on Main Event

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

jesus WEP posted:

I for one can't wait for the hot take of 2022, Jay Was Always Bad

Ha, you think it'll take Vince a whole year to ruin him

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

doesn't seem particularly smart to continue to have your top stars contracts end around the biggest show of the year every year but i suppose they have contingency plans

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'm extremely excited to see how they'll gently caress up one of the most talented wrestlers a d heels on the planet. Will they go down the traditional route of having him lose impressively to a bunch of main eventers until he's a glorified jobber to the stars or will they make him a babyface in extended meta feuds with Miz and Corbin about how he's in the big leagues now kid?

Excited for the future.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

He’s gonna feud with Dolph Ziggler for half a year, for some reason

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I remember last year that Chase Owens declared that his New Japan contract was about to end, then tweeted the following day that he signed another multi-year deal with New Japan. I'll believe it when I see it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I feel like we always say this about our favorite people when the "going to WWE rumor" starts but he's GOT to be smart enough to know he won't be utilized well there, right? In WWE terms, he's an average-sized guy who could possibly cut good promos if they let him. His ceiling is basically Balor, who I doubt they'll ever let sniff a real main event again after blowing out his shoulder in his Universal Title win. He's not old enough to want tot make this his retirement run, so why would you even consider it (if he even IS considering it)?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i hope people are just working to get us to worry but if he's weird enough to live in florida despite being from nz and working in japan it wouldn't shock me.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Rarity posted:

Ha, you think it'll take Vince a whole year to ruin him

No, I think it'll take a year for people to Always Bad him

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Someone send KENTA round to give him a good talking to

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Jay might feel he has peaked in NJPW. Ospreay is probably going to be top gaijin and after that there are Ibushi, Naito and Okada to be the top four.

When Naito and Ibushis times are over they will want Japanese wrestlers to fill those spots.

I can see him considering his options carefully and making a huge money deal five year deal in WWE which might then become another five year deal afterwards as he’s still young would be a good bargain. If he got 750k a year which seems believable, a 5-10 year run could set him up for life.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Excited to Stiletto Jaysin Whyte to spend 3 months trading wins with Dexter Lumis

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I get being skeptical of how WWE would handle him long term, but it at the very least you have to admit it would be cool to see him debut at the Rumble

COULD IT BE

IT IS

THE RUMORS ARE TRUE

IT’S KIWI TIME

[Jay goes to open his jacket and the camera immediately cuts to an LED screen of someone being instructed to do a thumbs down]

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Michael Cole: BREATHE with the Switchblade!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

HidaO-Win posted:

Jay might feel he has peaked in NJPW. Ospreay is probably going to be top gaijin and after that there are Ibushi, Naito and Okada to be the top four.

this was true of devitt as they weren't probably ever going to put the heavyweight title on him. jay otoh already had one, albeit the short transitional one people generally get if they win the belt for the first time as heels and i have no doubt they'd push him for years as a homegrown talent if he stays.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

With Ospreay going heel and Juice having an upper-midcard ceiling, Jay seemed like a dead cert for being the big gaijin babyface over the next year or two

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Rarity posted:

Michael Cole: BREATHE with the Switchblade!

this is the worst post you've ever put into the world, scoopsgal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Procrastinator posted:

this is the worst post you've ever put into the world, scoopsgal

IT'S THE NEW ERA I LOVE IT MAGGLE