Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I've successfully overwintered by giving them a fresh feed, topping up bedding and putting some blankets on top, but having our neighbors' cats use it as a lounge chair probably helped.

I've also heard of people doing it in larger piles by insulating then letting the pile heat up through the compost process; the worms will navigate the pile to regulate their own temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

red19fire posted:

Hello, I have a 30 gallon vermicompost air pot in my living room

A 30 gallon worm farm in your living room?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Sorry I just started composting this year after gathering 20 42 gallon yard bags of dried oak leaves (Wildfire country and we get fined if we don’t have a defensible area around the house, otherwise I’d just let it naturally decompose). Figured I’d put some of it to use instead of just hauling it all to the dump. Gonna snag some pallets and some fine mesh soon and set something up.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I ordered a Hungry Bin so I can move the whole operation to the garage.

E: does Imgur not do embeds anymore?
E2: vvv thanks!

red19fire fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 18, 2024

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ive been using this lately, hotlink to forums

https://postimages.org/

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
I just throw greens and browns as available. And bunches of eggshells. When the soldier flies arrive, they'll sort it out.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Finally got a pitch fork so threw this together till I get some pallets

2 buckets of kitchen scraps and bunch of green grass clippings from around the yard

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I was gonna do semi-sealed plastic containers of approx ten liters, this too small and will rot wrong? Not be active enough?

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Mescal posted:

I was gonna do semi-sealed plastic containers of approx ten liters, this too small and will rot wrong? Not be active enough?

In my experience, there's no way anything less than 25 liters is going to break down productively, at least not without a lot of outside help. It just won't be able to build/hold enough heat.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Owl at Home posted:

In my experience, there's no way anything less than 25 liters is going to break down productively, at least not without a lot of outside help. It just won't be able to build/hold enough heat.

You mean like this 25 liters and over?

Aaand... Somebody was giving this away. Can you imagine? Giving away a plastic container used for holding waste? Some people can't see value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Our city has a green bin program but I am interested in starting a worm bin to produce some extra nutrition for my patio garden. I'm in an apartment so winters will get very interesting though. I have my three buckets, just need to find drill bits because my DIY drill strategy of 'just spin a self tapering screw against it' was not very good.