Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i got grounded a few times as a kid, once for something i did do (being a huge poo poo) the rest for things i didn't do or for "bad grades"--which to my parents was basically anything more than two Bs. pretty regular "no video games no friends and after school you get locked in a utility closet at my workplace and do homework and the only books you're allowed to read is lovely long winded victorian literature," usually for a few months at a time.

ours was a household that favored corporal punishment over all others. the first time i got the belt was because my parents thought i said a curse word (i didn't). i was six

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I was spanked hard by daddy, my bum was red and I said no daddy no, don't spank mee, my bummy hurts and I will be a good boi

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

my parents were pretty laissez faire (and not american) so it wasn't in their repertoire. they'd just get mad and make me do the chore i hadn't done (which was often) or clean my room if it was messy (which was always)

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkKwyjsJGxk

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Your father buries you underground in a box for 24 hours

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I don't think my parents ever actually used the word grounded, but I got restrictions put on me like only 2 hours of computer per day when I got bad grades. I think they figured out early on that I was a stubborn kid who would just double down if you punished me too hard. They also were reasonable enough in that if I broke something on accident or completely hosed up a chore they'd get pissed off for a minute but would acknowledge that accidents happen and kids aren't good at stuff and I wouldn't get in trouble or anything.

My wife though, hoooboy. Textbook narcissists who treated their kids like the OP's parents, and now can't understand why all three of their children moved several hours away from them as soon as they were able to.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

In idk, 7th or 8th grade, i got my playstation taken away for a couple months because I had the lyrics to the "shut your loving face ungcle fucker" song from south park written in my assignments book instead of what my homework was. or perhaps just in addition to my homework

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I was spanked hard by daddy, my bum was red and I said no daddy no, don't spank mee, my bummy hurts and I will be a good boi

That's really cool

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

For us being grounded meant being buried alive

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Double post whoops

Ok I lied I never got grounded so idk

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

I don't have normal parents and I had a hosed up childhood so I can't answer the OP's question of what is normal.

That said, I got grounded constantly, and usually that came with physical abuse of some sort, on to of psychological abuse. My "favorite" memory was being grounded from reading. Not just books, as in, all words were to remain unread. Cereal boxes, ingredients, instructions, everything. Toothpaste tube was wrapped in duct tape. No words at all were to remain seen. Any "transgression" of seeing a word or appearing to be looking at a written word was punished by my mother flying off the handle at me.

An entire loving summer of that when I was twelve.

Anyway I'm hosed up in my brain now.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I was a good kid1 so the only time I was grounded for more than a weekend was in 10th grade when I intentionally tanked the state standardized tests, and convinced a bunch of other kids to tank theirs as well. I think they were mostly just pissed because they got dragged away from work to meet with the principal and school superintendent. The 'grounding' was no leaving the house besides school, and they unplugged the cable tv and internet from my room for a month. My best friend lived next door and his window was across from mine so we just ran a cat 5 cable through the window and I leeched his internet.

1good at not getting caught

Chewybiteems
Mar 16, 2009
I was grounded once, around age 10 iirc, and in defiance I gave myself a black eye and told the counselors at school that my dad beats me lmao. Prompted a full-blown CPS investigation that nearly resulted in both losing custody, and after that any time I'd be threatened with discipline I would threaten to repeat the stunt. I was then allowed to do whatever the hell I wanted to until age 18. Both my parents sterilized themselves after the CPS incident to avoid the slightest possibility of ever having a second child.

I used to think it was a normal household, but am second guessing it now that I'm typing this out.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Mormon Nailer posted:

I don't have normal parents and I had a hosed up childhood so I can't answer the OP's question of what is normal.

That said, I got grounded constantly, and usually that came with physical abuse of some sort, on to of psychological abuse. My "favorite" memory was being grounded from reading. Not just books, as in, all words were to remain unread. Cereal boxes, ingredients, instructions, everything. Toothpaste tube was wrapped in duct tape. No words at all were to remain seen. Any "transgression" of seeing a word or appearing to be looking at a written word was punished by my mother flying off the handle at me.

An entire loving summer of that when I was twelve.

Anyway I'm hosed up in my brain now.

i can't tell if this is real or not, but it's kinda funny. do you get PTSD when you can't read like how I've spoilered this text?

Chewybiteems posted:

I was grounded once, around age 10 iirc, and in defiance I gave myself a black eye and told the counselors at school that my dad beats me lmao. Prompted a full-blown CPS investigation that nearly resulted in both losing custody, and after that any time I'd be threatened with discipline I would threaten to repeat the stunt. I was then allowed to do whatever the hell I wanted to until age 18. Both my parents sterilized themselves after the CPS incident to avoid the slightest possibility of ever having a second child.

I used to think it was a normal household, but am second guessing it now that I'm typing this out.

no it's super normal, you should also follow suit and sterelise yourself too

Chewybiteems
Mar 16, 2009

Lascivious Sloth posted:

i can't tell if this is real or not, but it's kinda funny. do you get PTSD when you can't read like how I've spoilered this text?

no it's super normal, you should also follow suit and sterelise yourself too

I should be clear that I am laughing at how absurd it all is in retrospect, like god drat what a lovely kid. I'd jump off a bridge if I was my kid. Gallows humor. Not trying to condone terrorizing one's parents by using the state or half of the other shitheel things I did as a child. Wound up surprisingly well-adjusted after seeking therapy as an adult.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Lascivious Sloth posted:

It's very real, and no, and I actually do have C-PTSD, thanks for reading the room!

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Grounding for me meant my dad wouldn’t let my suck his dick. It was torture

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
:yikes:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

One time I remember I was fidgeting in church and talking and my dad decided to ground me in my room for like 30 minutes, I probably just reread my Charlie Brown encyclopedias. I think it was a one time event, you’re hauling a little kid to a Presbyterian service it would have been odd if I didn’t want to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I don't know what being grounded would have meant in my family, it was a theoretical punishment my mom would threaten me & my sister with being grounded, but never actually execute on.

Somehow my dumb kid brain never put together this was because she was a single mom who worked until 6:30 pm every day. So who was gonna enforce it? "Stay in your room, don't watch TV, don't play with the computer, don't hang out with friends. This is 100% optional & voluntary." :lol: