Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

the interesting thing about meta's pitch is it's always been logical

it's been:
1. if you could have a headset that was as thin and light as glasses that let you create infinite screens, you'd definitely buy it
2. if you could get it to the point where everyone could work remotely in vr, that's like a trillion dollars a year people are paying for commercial real estate that would be freed up, and a lot of the environment saved, and if you were the company that did it you'd be the gods of the new world, worth investing any amount of money for.

like the chances seem pretty good a tech company with a customer base of literally billions of MAU, spending a hundred billion a year, and willing to eat any loss could really succeed at those things. EXCEPT facebook's always totally lacked product focus from jump and they've always been able to outvalue, outmarket or network-effect their way through. in fact, i think you could make a plausible claim that facebook has never shipped an end-user product of their own devising. so it's all futile

amazing opportunity for a heavily product-focused company whose business model is let someone else step on the landmines then make a killer design-led, mass-marketable product that basically sells itself, at a premium price, can't think of one off the top of my head though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

chaosbreather posted:

the interesting thing about meta's pitch is it's always been logical

it's been:
1. if you could have a headset that was as thin and light as glasses that let you create infinite screens, you'd definitely buy it
2. if you could get it to the point where everyone could work remotely in vr, that's like a trillion dollars a year people are paying for commercial real estate that would be freed up, and a lot of the environment saved, and if you were the company that did it you'd be the gods of the new world, worth investing any amount of money for.

like the chances seem pretty good a tech company with a customer base of literally billions of MAU, spending a hundred billion a year, and willing to eat any loss could really succeed at those things. EXCEPT facebook's always totally lacked product focus from jump and they've always been able to outvalue, outmarket or network-effect their way through. in fact, i think you could make a plausible claim that facebook has never shipped an end-user product of their own devising. so it's all futile

amazing opportunity for a heavily product-focused company whose business model is let someone else step on the landmines then make a killer design-led, mass-marketable product that basically sells itself, at a premium price, can't think of one off the top of my head though

It’s still both funny and annoying to me that they make you use and log into Facebook before you can use your Oculus Meta Quest headset

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

sticksy posted:

Is there any apps or utilities currently available that does this?

It's one of those riddles.

Those who could make it don't need it

Those who could finance it don't see the need

Those who need it can find workarounds.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
No one can convince me that Mark Zuckerberg should not be crucified upside down in the middle of New York City. Every article about Mark Zuckerberg should be about the logistics of his crucifixion until it is so.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
His mind seems like it would be a terrifying place.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Has anyone ever quantified how many suicides facebook and instagram have been responsible for?

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
we met in vr is a super sweet movie but it’s about communities and relationships and not trying to ground floor soulless virtual real estate

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

kntfkr posted:

No one can convince me that Mark Zuckerberg should not be crucified upside down in the middle of New York City. Every article about Mark Zuckerberg should be about the logistics of his crucifixion until it is so.

He will just revert to reptile form every time you try to get a nail in. Slippery.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
More remote work is the future, obviously, already, but people can hardly put a competent power point together, never mind work in VR. Is the goal that various things like Photoshop/Excel/whatever have to pay to put their APIs in the verse so actual work can be done?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I for one am excited about this Metaverse concept, I hope I can one day build a treehouse

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Confusedslight posted:

They talk about work productivity being a feature but how would working in the metaverse/vr be more productive? Genuine question. Im sure there might be some examples but not many.

If they had a system where like an apprentice electrician could connect with a mentor in AR and see the mentor's virtual hands guiding the work, that sort of thing could be amazingly useful. I don't see Mark suggesting anything like that, though. It looks like he's just making a Second Life ripoff that requires a Facebook account and an Oculus.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I for one am excited about this Metaverse concept, I hope I can one day build a treehouse

The Metaverse is the only place goons aren't so fat that they're able to climb a tree ladder without ripping the nails out or cracking the boards as they climb

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

They really just need to make it a very open end world, with a very simple and unfuckable land-parcel market (or just allow people to pay scaling money for private zones, a currency thata that probably would work better), a well-sanitized but very powerful java or c-like programming language that allows programmers and neophytes alike to use familiar tools to create within the world, and a Blender plugin that lets people to work on content creation inworld and chill with their friends live while doing so.

Then, add an ingame currency that the above content creators can cash out on, and then along with the Oculus hardware, they can pull an even bigger Snow Crash than Phillip Rosedale currently could ever manage.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

so, like second life then?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Bad Purchase posted:

Or any of the other Stephensonian metaverses. IMVU is another good example, and "There" was also pretty chill, although you'd consider it more a technological precursor due to the content limitations. Whatever it is, it doesn't take off unless it's radically, extremely, and chronically userbase-driven, and the denser and more variety the marketplace offerings are, the better.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bad Purchase posted:

Except you go to your real job in it

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

The Management posted:

TBF, that is also how Second Life ending up going. And Eve. And digimon. And probably every other niche online space.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

The Management posted:

I hate that there are so many jobs that you could just goggle into every day, most of them really don't even need the headset.

2nd Amendment posted:

TBF, that is also how Second Life ending up going. And Eve. And digimon. And probably every other niche online space.

I know a few people who made careers out of metaverse content creation. Several of them pay their mortgages this way, but it's less fun these days because costs are up.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Reminder that zuck has that stupid haircut because he admires Augustus Caesar, a prominent historical psychopath.

It’s *his* big idea and he has chosen to stake the future of fb on it, but has never articulated anything close to a real use case for it. There is nothing compelling or interesting there. It’s all based on his fantasy of having a world where he controls the access, the money, the information on everything. The user benefit hasn’t been considered in any way and it shows.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Mark Zuckerberg doesn't deserve the insane amount of poo poo that people piled on him because personal insecurity and the Penny Arcade condition of internet anonymity makes people into mindless, unpointed shitflingers. They are insanely exploitable, and as much as it pains me to see smart people from the internet generation become this, there's just nothing you can do but make them mad by pointing out that Mark Zuckerberg and several other people who they have been cultivated to loathe are also human beings who are trying, every single day. They have completely neglected to remember the old concept of sonder, and in doing so have failed spectacularly as fellow.

However, if you are in certain echo chambers where the behavior became passively accepted, just remember that you're dealing with people who gave up and lost their own sense of self respect, then backfilled the holes left where their personalities used to be with adjunct catatonia, peer-encouraged depression, and general absence of personal quality. Nobody has any time in the world to be their therapist, but you can set example by being very blatantly human, take it impersonally because it's just The Fashion These Days, keep your optimism and wits about you, and hope that they remember that they used to also have personalities as well.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Devils Affricate posted:

If they had a system where like an apprentice electrician could connect with a mentor in AR and see the mentor's virtual hands guiding the work, that sort of thing could be amazingly useful.

We are nowhere close to that. You'd need full haptic feedback full body suit poo poo to even be feasible for low level training. And does the trainer have a good internet connection, and the best level gear, compatible with yours? Or do their hands randomly jerk around and clip through stuff while trying to explain where the red wire goes?

Electrician, pipe fitter, welder, all that poo poo when you learn, you need a person who knows it to physically guide you and be able to move their head and hands all around for safety and instruction... Nope. That won't work yet. Can we get there? No doubt, eventually.

But like even with something as simple as young driver training cars with 2 sets of controls (to say nothing of airplanes!) you can't VR that poo poo. The emergency stop aside, you can be like "ok, that stop was a bit jerky. let me do this one and watch and feel how the car goes. then you go next."

We still have to touch people. The goon dream is not yet realized.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Waffle House posted:

Mark Zuckerberg doesn't deserve the insane amount of poo poo that people piled on him because personal insecurity and the Penny Arcade condition of internet anonymity makes people into mindless, unpointed shitflingers. They are insanely exploitable, and as much as it pains me to see smart people from the internet generation become this, there's just nothing you can do but make them mad by pointing out that Mark Zuckerberg is also a human being.

However, if you are in certain echo chambers where the behavior became passively accepted, just remember that you're dealing with people who gave up and lost their own sense of self respect, then backfilled the holes left where their personalities used to be with adjunct catatonia, peer-encouraged depression, and general absence of personal quality. Nobody has any time in the world to be their therapist, but you can set example by being very blatantly human, take it impersonally because it's just The Fashion These Days, keep your optimism and wits about you, and hope that they remember that they used to also have personalities as well.

So how's the 'Verse?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Das Boo posted:

So how's the 'Verse?

p chill fam, I'm a Tiger with a minigun. If you're on one of them DM me if you want to hang out.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Waffle House posted:

p chill fam, I'm a Tiger with a minigun. If you're on one of them DM me if you want to hang out.

VR gives me headaches after an hour or two.
But I'm on Zoom and my user pic is Brak!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Oh, no, you misunderstand, I do not have that kind of a 'Verse account, I am not that interesting at all. I have a very comparatively lame job at a car parts store in Austin that pays slightly better than UberEats.

I use the older Rosedale metaverse.

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

Waffle House posted:

Mark Zuckerberg doesn't deserve the insane amount of poo poo that people piled on him

:thunk: hmm

Actually I think he does.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

dot communist posted:

Yeah, we've read his manifesto. Or at least it is available online. I've never read it and I never will. But he's a piece of poo poo.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

dot communist posted:

hey dude don't be a dick to people, its easier and cheaper, especially in the long run

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Somebody probably mentioned but I love the whole AJ thing about how META IS GONNA FORCE YOU INTO THE MATRIX!!

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Once they figure out a way to gently caress in it it'll take off. Like sex robots you can control in other peoples houses and they control yours so it's like the real thing, except trolls kick you in the dick with your robot once in awhile.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

vaginite posted:

Once they figure out a way to gently caress in it it'll take off, except there's trolls in the game, and sometimes those trolls are you because it's fun to strike a pose with a billion poorly rendered dicks flying, radiating outward from you in every direction to stunt on fools

I edited your post for the brevity of how it actually works but you were pretty close

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The whole reason second life was successful is because you can gently caress in it and be incredibly gross and they still won't ban you, it really is as simple as that. And that's why zucks metaverse will never go anywhere.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Waffle House posted:

Mark Zuckerberg doesn't deserve the insane amount of poo poo that people piled on him because personal insecurity and the Penny Arcade condition of internet anonymity makes people into mindless, unpointed shitflingers. They are insanely exploitable, and as much as it pains me to see smart people from the internet generation become this, there's just nothing you can do but make them mad by pointing out that Mark Zuckerberg and several other people who they have been cultivated to loathe are also human beings who are trying, every single day. They have completely neglected to remember the old concept of sonder, and in doing so have failed spectacularly as fellow.

Yes he does and even more.

He and his companies are actively involved in cultivating the worst impulses and feelings out of people in the name of "engagement," which is monetized by selling to advertisers the personal data of people that is staggering in its detail. That doesn't cover other things like how he exploited loose laws and governance multiple times and provided multiple mea culpa's and "we must do better" then oops, we did it again, our bad y'all, please don't actually regulate us or prevent us from acquiring competitors because our product is dogshit and we haven't innovated, only imitated, for 10+ years.

gently caress that guy and his uncanny valley dumbass face forever. If he died tomorrow, no one would shed a tear.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Waffle House posted:

They really just need to make it a very open end world, with a very simple and unfuckable land-parcel market (or just allow people to pay scaling money for private zones, a currency thata that probably would work better), a well-sanitized but very powerful java or c-like programming language that allows programmers and neophytes alike to use familiar tools to create within the world, and a Blender plugin that lets people to work on content creation inworld and chill with their friends live while doing so.

Then, add an ingame currency that the above content creators can cash out on, and then along with the Oculus hardware, they can pull an even bigger Snow Crash than Phillip Rosedale currently could ever manage.

Oh yeah buddy, that's definitely what they need to do. Synergize those key learnings.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

sticksy posted:

Yes he does and even more.

He and his companies are actively involved in cultivating the worst impulses and feelings out of people in the name of "engagement," which is monetized by selling to advertisers the personal data of people that is staggering in its detail. That doesn't cover other things like how he exploited loose laws and governance multiple times and provided multiple mea culpa's and "we must do better" then oops, we did it again, our bad y'all, please don't actually regulate us or prevent us from acquiring competitors because our product is dogshit and we haven't innovated, only imitated, for 10+ years.

gently caress that guy and his uncanny valley dumbass face forever. If he died tomorrow, no one would shed a tear.

idk man the guy has a family, I think there might be more than Mark Zuckerberg involved in that and perhaps it is a dereliction of truth to lazily just heap that all on Mark Zuckerberg and allow the staggering amount of perpetrators you just indirectly identified to go unnamed, uninvestigated, and thus forever unpunished????

But I don't exactly expect people to do that because investigation is hard and blaming Mark Zuckerberg is really easy.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
*materializes in virtual world in a stream of green numbers and letters like the matrix*

"Cool, cool. But what this really needs is a very simple and unfuckable land-parcel market and a well-sanitized but very powerful java or c-like programming language that allows programmers and neophytes alike to use familiar tools to create within the world."

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Zybourne Clock posted:

*materializes in virtual world in a stream of green numbers and letters like the matrix*

"Cool, cool. But what this really needs is a very simple and unfuckable land-parcel market and a well-sanitized but very powerful java or c-like programming language that allows programmers and neophytes alike to use familiar tools to create within the world."

r u ready to WALK posted:

The whole reason second life was successful is because you can gently caress in it and be incredibly gross and they still won't ban you, it really is as simple as that. And that's why zucks metaverse will never go anywhere.

I think we are really ready to walk here

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Waffle House posted:

idk man the guy has a family, I think there might be more than Mark Zuckerberg involved in that and perhaps it is a dereliction of truth to lazily just heap that all on Mark Zuckerberg and allow the staggering amount of perpetrators you just indirectly identified to go unnamed, uninvestigated, and thus forever unpunished????

But I don't exactly expect people to do that because investigation is hard and blaming Mark Zuckerberg is really easy.

look at this fuckign nerd defending this piece of poo poo AND capitalizing his name

yous a bitch ho

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

vr porn is pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Chinatown posted:

look at this fuckign nerd defending this piece of poo poo AND capitalizing his name

yous a bitch ho

I actually do want to see that entire hosed up rear end chain of people who poo poo up my daily internet use with advertisement, bots, numbers peddling/padding, and bullshit because they probably are acutely responsible for a lot of crimes, and I personally feel it would be healthier if they felt a sense of shame instead of the likely insulative safety they receive from fueling the same fire of mythos about Mark Zuckerberg

It seems like a reaaaaaaal big cranial-rectal ouroboros and some of those people probably should be in jail, right now