Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which is the best slogan?
Brotherhood. Unity. Peace.
Peace Through Power
Kane Lives In Death
Rule of thumb, Hassan. You can't kill the Messiah.
View Results

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.

SoggyBobcat posted:

I was stuck on one mission in the GDI campaign for OVER A loving DECADE from how badly the patches hosed over the campaign. :argh:

Now imagine playing all the campaigns on Hard in 2022. It's quite a different experience - in the same manner as hitting yourself in the crotch with a mallet is a different experience to the standard manual mode.

@OP, as I'm the wikicat guilty of running the OG CNC wiki for a while, want me to go over the finer details of the lore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Tagaziel posted:

Now imagine playing all the campaigns on Hard in 2022. It's quite a different experience - in the same manner as hitting yourself in the crotch with a mallet is a different experience to the standard manual mode.

I'd like to hear more about this. Because I'd love to know what's happened here, and if there are exploits for getting around it all.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
The primary issue is that the campaigns were designed around the release date balance, not the one it ultimately ended up with at the end of its life cycle. This isn't as noticeable in the early or sandbox missions, but is quite apparent when you play heavily scripted or commando missions. The biggest issue is the final Nod campaign mission, the defense of Kane's Tower, which was pleasantly challenging at release, but in the wake of buffs and nerfs it became a nightmare on Hard: Scrin are very passive and confused, GDI AI is immediately active and very aggressive against both you and Scrin, with two full bases + advanced resourcing, and a bonus platoon of Juggernauts bombing the force shield generators from the beginning of the mission.

Essentially, you're multitasking from the moment the mission starts and you have razor-thin margins of error. If anything goes wrong - and it usually does - it cascades into mission failure. The only reliably sane way to do it is to immediately start capping the purple guys' structures and start teching up to storm towers and devastators/carriers, then pray that you have enough resources to win the attrition.

Tagaziel fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 12, 2022

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Tagaziel posted:

<LATE GAME DETAIL>

Spoilers? Or y'know, you could not mention the factions?

I know it's an old game, but let's pretend there might be someone who isn't familiar with it.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
Oops. Fixed the post, sorry. I'm not accustomed to people being genuinely interested in C&C, mostly just us old fucks who know the games and the stories like the backs of our hands.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Might want to spoiler the units as well.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
Looks like a GDI file after a FOIA request now xD

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll try to keep it mind from now on.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

THE BAR posted:

Has the cutscenes always stuttered this much?

???

Also yeah keep spoilers to a minimum, I honestly don't remember just where the story goes and like... 80% or the units I've forgotten and can onky vaguely guess at.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I didn't notice the cutscenes "stuttering," but there were moments of odd audio "ducking" at points during the GDI cutscene where the volume dipped for just a couple of seconds, like it would if you were adding commentary.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PurpleXVI posted:

I didn't notice the cutscenes "stuttering," but there were moments of odd audio "ducking" at points during the GDI cutscene where the volume dipped for just a couple of seconds, like it would if you were adding commentary.

Yeah on the first video, that is fixed for subsequent episodes :)

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I prefer Tiberian Sun over this almost solely due to the former's far better art direction/soundtrack and more entertaining characters. I don't care much for NOD basic soldiers devolving from their sci-fi aesthetic in Sun to war on terror militia looking dudes.

Andrews AFB

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, the fact that there's infantry that's not mutants outside of sealed suits makes the yellow zones look a lot less deadly than the world felt in 2, also now tiberium kills don't seem to cause visceroids and that just makes the hellworld climate crisis less bad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SIGSEGV posted:

Yeah, the fact that there's infantry that's not mutants outside of sealed suits makes the yellow zones look a lot less deadly than the world felt in 2, also now tiberium kills don't seem to cause visceroids and that just makes the hellworld climate crisis less bad.

I think most of the Tiberian Sun hellworld stuff has been moved to the red zones in this game, and there are indications that GDI has learned how to contain and slowly push back the tiberium threat.

One of my bugbears with the storytelling in the Tiberium series is that GDI perpetually feels like they're just maintaining the status quo instead of proactively making a difference to improve the world. I think that's half the appeal of Kane, he's the one actually moving and shaking things in the story while GDI just reacts and defends.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Well yeah, I think the series as a whole can't really decide if Kane is a comically evil menace or kinda soooorta right

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Fangz posted:

Well yeah, I think the series as a whole can't really decide if Kane is a comically evil menace or kinda soooorta right

In the first C&C, Nod was pretty obviously evil. I remember intentional attacks on civilians.

In Tiberian Sun, Nod was a bit less war crimey and Kane seemed notably smarter than the opposition.

In my opinion, this game is the one where Kane comes across as the most... protagonisty? I recall it as being the one where Nod does the least blatantly evil stuff and where Kane most obviously has the upper hand, in terms of just being a smarter person who's got this all planned out, than GDI.

We'll see if I recall it correctly, of course. :v:

And I personally like that we see some of the Blue Zones this time around. Having a sense that there's something normal around worth fighting for, rather than endless beige wastelands, helps keep me invested.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.

PurpleXVI posted:

In the first C&C, Nod was pretty obviously evil. I remember intentional attacks on civilians.

In Tiberian Sun, Nod was a bit less war crimey and Kane seemed notably smarter than the opposition.

In my opinion, this game is the one where Kane comes across as the most... protagonisty? I recall it as being the one where Nod does the least blatantly evil stuff and where Kane most obviously has the upper hand, in terms of just being a smarter person who's got this all planned out, than GDI.

We'll see if I recall it correctly, of course. :v:

And I personally like that we see some of the Blue Zones this time around. Having a sense that there's something normal around worth fighting for, rather than endless beige wastelands, helps keep me invested.

Both sides had poo poo going for them. GDI openly devastates civilian villages in the final Nod missions (it's something they did not change for Remastered, indicating a deliberate choice), uses war-torn African countries for covert weapons development, and of course is fighting valiantly against a faction that implements cheap, efficient Tiberium harvesting methods that would give impoverished countries a shot at getting a proper industry. It's one of those things that are only really apparent once you abandon the unspoken assumption that West = Good and take a look at history. Kind of yikes with large-scale superweapon development on a UN budget in countries just out of a violent civil war.

The characterization really goes on to make Kane correct over the course of the games. I might not be a fan of Tiberian Twilight, but it showed that once GDI gets over itself, the world recovers - working with Kane is a crucial part of that. In a way, this makes all of GDI's actions just making the world worse off - and really, the world does get worse every time GDI wins.

Laughing Zealot posted:

I don't care much for NOD basic soldiers devolving from their sci-fi aesthetic in Sun to war on terror militia looking dudes.

That's kind of because Tiberium Wars puts much more emphasis on the social and political context of the Brotherhood than Westwood ever did. In Dawn and Sun you were playing as, essentially, commanders of elite forces tasked with very specific goals (in Dawn after you get Klingon promoted, ofc). Especially in Sun your choice of weapons reflects that status. In Wars, you're a commander of the general purpose land forces, so it's not all glamorous elites in proper armor. Wish Kane's Wrath would play with this and also rename the militant squad.

Tagaziel fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 12, 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

TW is the second best Sage-engine game after Generals, but it is definitely the ugliest C&C imo. It's just so washed out and I dislike many of its unit and building designs.

I desperately realized I needed to update this post. The canonical Sage-engine order is:

Generals/ZH>BFME2/RotWK>C&C3>BFME>RA3 :colbert:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tagaziel posted:

Both sides had poo poo going for them. GDI openly devastates civilian villages in the final Nod missions (it's something they did not change for Remastered, indicating a deliberate choice), uses war-torn African countries for covert weapons development, and of course is fighting valiantly against a faction that implements cheap, efficient Tiberium harvesting methods that would give impoverished countries a shot at getting a proper industry. It's one of those things that are only really apparent once you abandon the unspoken assumption that West = Good and take a look at history. Kind of yikes with large-scale superweapon development on a UN budget in countries just out of a violent civil war.

The characterization really goes on to make Kane correct over the course of the games. I might not be a fan of Tiberian Twilight, but it showed that once GDI gets over itself, the world recovers - working with Kane is a crucial part of that. In a way, this makes all of GDI's actions just making the world worse off - and really, the world does get worse every time GDI wins.

And all this would have been avoided had Kane told anyone the loving truth about anything.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
Would they listen?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tagaziel posted:

Would they listen?

If he provided any actual evidence? Probably!

He just expects people to take him at his word and go along with it because he knows better, and takes it personally when people don't trust him.

His entire beef with GDI is 'These people don't arbitrarily trust me and do everything I say, therefore they are the enemy.'

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah on the first video, that is fixed for subsequent episodes :)

Ah, that was probably it, yeah. :)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I kinda feel like the more positive side of Kane is something of a retcon. My impression from the first game is that Kane's pretty much another side of the Tiberium infestation, working to get the global economy addicted to it, sowing conflict and thus helping spread it everywhere.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Tagaziel posted:

Oops. Fixed the post, sorry. I'm not accustomed to people being genuinely interested in C&C, mostly just us old fucks who know the games and the stories like the backs of our hands.

i'm not sure how many people here are unspoiled on it either but that's been Jobbo's requested policy since the C&C1 thread, so we just sorta go with it

Tagaziel posted:

Both sides had poo poo going for them. GDI openly devastates civilian villages in the final Nod missions (it's something they did not change for Remastered, indicating a deliberate choice),

oh this is probably what Killian was referring to, then

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 12, 2022

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Psion posted:

i'm not sure how many people here are unspoiled on it either but that's been Jobbo's requested policy since the C&C1 thread, so we just sorta go with it

It seems like we have to go over it again in every new thread, though. :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
"new thread who dis"

but also it's been a while since Generals/ZH, and at least among threads I read this is the outlier in spoiler policy. still, it's no big deal to just wait a couple videos to post something.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Fangz posted:

I kinda feel like the more positive side of Kane is something of a retcon. My impression from the first game is that Kane's pretty much another side of the Tiberium infestation, working to get the global economy addicted to it, sowing conflict and thus helping spread it everywhere.

This game really is the culmination from what Sun started with Tiberium as an oil+climate change analogy. You can see this with the blue zones roughly correlating with the developed world, and the red zones roughly mapping to the areas expected to be unsuitable to human life once climate change really start to hit the fan.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Tree Reformat posted:

This game really is the culmination from what Sun started with Tiberium as an oil+climate change analogy. You can see this with the blue zones roughly correlating with the developed world, and the red zones roughly mapping to the areas expected to be unsuitable to human life once climate change really start to hit the fan.

That's not really true at all though: some of the largest red and yellow zones are actually Europe and Australia, while blue zones include west Africa, the tip of south America, Oman and central Asia.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Fangz posted:

He is also perfectly happy to encourage and promote psychos into positions of power. See: basically every single NOD character you ever see in any of the games.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Kane is a bad person, he just appears to have access to a lot of information he doesn't want to share because he doesn't really trust anyone, that lack of trust is a major weakness of Nod, as shown in the second game in which it just can't help blowing itself up. Incidentally, at this point the GDI and Nod have accused each other of being fascist states hellbent on world domination, both appear to be more or less entirely correct on that count. Kane may have an additional agenda on top, but he doesn't seem to mind being hellbent on world domination.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Psion posted:

"new thread who dis"

but also it's been a while since Generals/ZH, and at least among threads I read this is the outlier in spoiler policy. still, it's no big deal to just wait a couple videos to post something.

Generals was literally the only lp where jobbo hasn't had a gigantic no spoilers policy that people ignored and got chewed out for. And I would wager that has more to do with it having gently caress all for a plot and relatively tame units for the series

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
NOD 02: Andrews Air Force Base

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hlSajjEZAY
NOD 02: Andrews AFB

With the destruction of the Philadelphia, the GDI is reeling from the loss of their command structure, making them ripe for attack. Andrews Air Force Base is a critical link in GDI's airlift and airpower capability in the region, and destroying this will limit their ability to strike at us, or to reinforce any exposed or cut off troops. Strike fast, destroy everything - Do not waste this opportunity!

Something tells me we haven't quite moved away from Goddard Space Center...

Objective: Destroy the GDI airfields and the Control Tower

Okay I should probably add the actual briefings now...

Briefing: Our Theater Command Cell has ordered a coordinated attack on all GDI air bases in this region to take out GDI's air support. Your target is Andrews Air Force Base in Washington, DC. You'll take command of a strike force near the base entrance. Start by clearing any GDI troops in the surrounding area, establish an outpost, and then infiltrate the base itself. Once you're inside the base, job one is to destroy the airfields used by Orca ground attack aircraft. Your very presence inside the base will also shut down GDI's use of military airlift capability.

Author's note: Straightforward, which is to be expected, although with a small hiccup when tasked with taking out the Control Tower.

Name: Ajay (Arjay?)
Aliases: None
Affiliation: NOD
Voiced/Played by: Josh Holloway

Ajay is NOD's military planning expert. A brilliant intelligence officer and a cunning tactician, Ajay has repeatedly proven his ability to create blueprints for complex - and very successful - military operations. An experienced soldier, Ajay is never far from the front lines where his brothers fight to execute his plans.

Author's Note: Weird, creepy. Friendly, but in a weird way. Will probably take a bullet for you, or castrate you.

Raider Buggy
RANGE: Short
ARMOR: Buggy
WEAPON: Machine Gun
COST: 500

Equipped with burst-firing machineguns that can make short work of infantry and light targets, the Raider Buggy is the most common NOD vehicle.

Author's Note: A straight upgrade from Tiberian Sun's Buggy, I absolutely love that they kept the original unit all the way back from TD while keeping it good/relevant, yet not overpowered or useless.

Attack Bike
RANGE: Short-Medium
ARMOR: Bike
WEAPON: Side-mounted Rocket Launchers
COST: 600

The Attack Bike - quick, armed and equipped with an advanced scanner array - is the ultimate scout for NOD forces. It is respectably powerful against aircraft, as well.

Author's Note: While not quite as great as the Buggy, it feels a niche alongside it - providing heavier firepower - allowing the dynamic to continue and flourish. Their range is shorter than I'd expect, however.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Regarding spoilers, the big reason is that I legit don't remember where the stories go sometimes, and I like to have surprise reveals for myself. I think it also helps for people who follow these threads but haven't played the games, or kept the stories as a backdrop when playing, something I tend to do myself sometimes :blush:. I know it can be frustrating for people to have to contend with the spoiler policy since, in C&C3's case it's been years in the making (or waiting) for some of the folks out there, which I truly appreciate you all for sticking around for it.

We'll get to the story beats eventually, rest assured, and there's even characters/units that will come up that I am excited to see people's reactions of just because of what they are. I only wield oh-so-much-power (which is to say none), so thank you to those (and apologies to the same, and/or others) who followed the policy even if it meant I had to be a bit of a dick about it.

(Also I've forgotten like... everything about RA3 and I've never played whatever C&C 4 is - this isn't an invitation to talk about them yet :D )

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Oh my god you have no idea what you're in for CnC4, You are in for a treat. I might however propose you LP a second game next to CnC4 so you can compare and contrast things.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SIGSEGV posted:

Oh my god you have no idea what you're in for CnC4, You are in for a treat. I might however propose you LP a second game next to CnC4 so you can compare and contrast things.

We'll see when we get there, but am open to it :). You might have to remind me by the time we get there though, haha.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Since the main difference between the previous CnC games and CnC4 is moving production units, which I don't think can be a spoiler, aside from the game existing, which implies that on some level the story doesn't end at the end of CnC3, I propose you play Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak at the same time. DoK is six years older, but I'm of the opinion that in a post-Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance world (i.e. some abused our computers into doing all that), that means the limits in what tech put on RTS game design have more or less been ground into paste.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
re: the novelization mentioned in this video - I've not read it, but it was apparently widely reviled by pretty much everyone who did lol

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Set expectations low low low

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Set expectations low low low

Worse than the motion comic? It's meant to lead into 4 apparently, I misremembered it as being Tibarian Sun, but it was not very good either.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chronische posted:

Worse than the motion comic? It's meant to lead into 4 apparently, I misremembered it as being Tibarian Sun, but it was not very good either.

Never heard of it :shrug:

When I say I know nothing after Red Alert 3, I mean it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Looks like youtube doesn't want to give out the video in anything higher than 360p.