Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/espnrittenberg/status/1576711189182271488?s=46&t=fIpzANMtJz3TdpRCi_0h5w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Benne posted:

Who the gently caress greenlit that contract offer anyway

How do you not at least have an emergency eject button if the coach isn't delivering as promised 5 years later

Aggie was terrified LSU would coach Jimbo so there's the completely unnecessary guaranteed contract extension

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Time to bring Bielema home.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

he gone

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Wisconsin's problem is that Mertz sucks and the OL has inexplicably forgotten how to run block

Maybe Leonard will bench Mertz, but I doubt he's fixing the OL

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Games against Northwestern and Michigan State coming up … they’re going to try as hard as possible to make Leonhard the permanent coach

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Aggie was terrified LSU would coach Jimbo so there's the completely unnecessary guaranteed contract extension

I thought his day 1 contract was fully guaranteed. Wasn't it Tucker that got a somewhat undeserved fully guanreteed contract last year?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

drunk leprechaun posted:

I thought his day 1 contract was fully guaranteed. Wasn't it Tucker that got a somewhat undeserved fully guanreteed contract last year?

His original 10 year contract was fully guaranteed, then he got a 4 year extension and raise in 2021.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I still laugh every time I think about Jimbo’s initial contract. Just sicko poo poo.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Imagine saying before the season that five P5 coaches would be out on October 2 and Bryan Harsin won't be one of them

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

YOLOsubmarine posted:

God I hope this happens. They won’t get anyone better and will blow up their incoming recruiting classes.

as an FSU fan this would be hilarious but stupid as gently caress for T&M. the team is loaded with crazy talented young guys. give him 1 more year and make him hire an OC, then at least you can see if the talent base is sufficient on its own and whether jimbo can deliver with it

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

So Wisconsin is for sure the most appealing open job now, right? Stable conference, great university buy-in, fanbase that's honestly pretty chill for 8-9 wins and some occasional Rose Bowl trios?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Chieves posted:

So Wisconsin is for sure the most appealing open job now, right? Stable conference, great university buy-in, fanbase that's honestly pretty chill for 8-9 wins and some occasional Rose Bowl trios?

is what's his face still shadow running the team in the background? if so, then ehhhh but otherwise yes

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
It's not big on the radar, but Satterfield's seat in Louisville must be quite hot by now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

is what's his face still shadow running the team in the background? if so, then ehhhh but otherwise yes

No, Barry Alvarez is fully out from Wisconsin athletics outside of him making appearances at fundraisers / booster appeals. It's entirely Chris McIntosh's department, now.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I feel bad for Kansas, Leipold gonna have a front row seat to an all-AD knife fight for his services.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Is Wisconsin still super tight on assistant budgets? Wasn't that why Andersen left?

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
I wonder how Paul Chryst feels about Graham Mertz at this moment in time. You're a guy with multiple division titles and three NY6 bowl appearances who's never gone worse than 8-5. You recruit a golden boy, a can't-miss prospect who's surely going to be the missing piece to get you over the top into true playoff contention. Four years later he's under center as you get boatraced by an Illinois team coached by the guy you replaced, in a performance so embarrassing that you lose your job the next day.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dango Bango posted:

Is Wisconsin still super tight on assistant budgets? Wasn't that why Andersen left?

It was one of the reasons cited, but Andersen has a long history of quitting jobs because he's a whiner. (I think he's walked away from four head coaching jobs since 2003.) Wisconsin athletics took a hit from the pandemic, but their compensation for coaches is back above pre-pandemic levels, in large part because the UW Foundation is kicking in a lot of money to attract and retain quality assistants.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/thejasonkirk/status/1576715688416317440

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Chieves posted:

They have some pretty high expectations. The arrow was not exactly going the right direction, but he did have 4 10+ win seasons.

Does Leonhard get the permanent gig?

Leipold would be good too.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

gvibes posted:

Does Leonhard get the permanent gig?

Almost assuredly, but because it’s technically a state job there has to be an open hiring process that will be followed despite everyone knowing who the hire is beforehand. It was an issue when Alvarez retired and Bielma took over.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
drat, I'm really surprised they fired Chryst.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Wow! And now he'll stay at one win behind Bert for all time coaching wins at Wisconsin.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1576712497188704256?s=20&t=dMvqY8gZnLW_UaEbrHhdIQ

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

BAE OF PIGS posted:

drat, I'm really surprised they fired Chryst.

I wonder if Leonard was getting tired of Chryst and this was a preemptive move to prevent him from peacing out?

I'm still kind of in awe.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Losing football games seems very lucrative.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

see i said this in the GDT and people thought I was crazy I'm telling you you cannot out-crazy Texas A&M fans

as an FSU fan this would be hilarious but stupid as gently caress for T&M. the team is loaded with crazy talented young guys. give him 1 more year and make him hire an OC, then at least you can see if the talent base is sufficient on its own and whether jimbo can deliver with it

Also yes this is what I think will actually happen. If he goes into next year with all this talent and the offense craters the season again and the defense doesnt show improvement hes out

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

fast cars loose anus posted:

see i said this in the GDT and people thought I was crazy I'm telling you you cannot out-crazy Texas A&M fans

*Auburn has entered the chat*

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

This is a ludicrous decision

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fast cars loose anus posted:

Also yes this is what I think will actually happen. If he goes into next year with all this talent and the offense craters the season again and the defense doesnt show improvement hes out

Jimbo is not a who tailors his offense to his talent so his teams are always going to live and die by whether he can find a QB to run things the way he expects. I assume if that guy was on the roster right now he’d be playing so I guess it’s down to whether a rookie QB can do it next year.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

General Dog posted:

This was supposed to be a year where Houston would content for a NY6 bowl; instead they’re 2-3 (and probably fortunate they won those two) and have players fighting on the sideline. With them heading to the Big 12 next year; Holgo has got to be running out of time right?

Dana is acting like a serious alcoholic and his sideline temper tantrums would get most people fired from their jobs already. However, most bosses don’t have to pay 19 million to fire a fuckoff.

The Big 12 TV money doesn’t kick in for a while. Unless a certain billionaire cuts a check to send his friend on his way I think Houston’s stuck for a while.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
If you look at wins and losses it looks dumb as hell, but holy poo poo Wisconsin didn’t just lose to Washington State, Ohio State and Illinois, they looked awful in all football related activities. Down 21 points and you run three times up the middle, which hadn’t worked all game? Nah, you’ve given up. The amount of practice time putting an offensive package centered around the wildcat instead of, say, avoiding offensive line penalties? Absolutely shows you’re lost as a head coach.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Jimbo is not a who tailors his offense to his talent so his teams are always going to live and die by whether he can find a QB to run things the way he expects. I assume if that guy was on the roster right now he’d be playing so I guess it’s down to whether a rookie QB can do it next year.

the young starter is that guy, he's just a rookie

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Wisconsin looking for a new coach isn't good news for Nebraska.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

LLCoolJD posted:

Wisconsin looking for a new coach isn't good news for Nebraska.

Isn't this just Leonhard's job?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Leipold, a Wisconsin native who built a dynasty at Whitewater, has gotta be the frontrunner for that gig if Leonard doesn't get it.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

YOLOsubmarine posted:

yeah supposedly Connor Weigman is gonna be that guy but he wont start him yet

The thing is if Jimbo is gonna refuse to adjust his offense OR hire someone who'll do it for him (like Saban adjusting to the new world after Sumlin beat him) then that's gonna be why he fails. "Pro-style ball control offense" is dinosaur poo poo that will get you crushed in today's college football.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don’t have much problem with the product Jimbo is delivering; the program build is still fine and despite what a few grumpy boosters may say, he’s not going anywhere, and honestly the fact that we’re stuck with each other is a benefit in some ways. The perception of stability is there even if the 10 win seasons are not, and we’re just going to have to make things work.

Really there’s no choice but to continue believing in the Jimbo project, because the embarrassment of buying him out with some ridiculous sum is a much more disastrous outcome for the program than just tolerating 8 more years of B-, 7 to 9 win football with him and the helm.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

the young starter is that guy, he's just a rookie

Neither guy who has started a game for them this year is a rookie. Haynes King is a RS sophomore and Max Johnson is a junior. Connor Weigman is a true freshman but he hasn’t played yet which doesn’t bode well unless Jimbo has already written this season off and doesn’t want to burn a year of his eligibility.