Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Devils Affricate posted:

nuclear power doesn't come from the sun and neither will fusion once we get that up and running., so why don't you put that in you pipe and smoke it, hot coco

Fission comes from dead star guts. Fusion is just replicating the stellar process using magnets instead of mass.

Internetjack posted:

Second one is cleaning the dust off the panels. There is a field south of Las Vegas. I forget the town's name but it's one of the southern towns in Fallout4. It's actually a reflection matrix that uses mirrors to target a water tower and use the super heated water to run turbines. I think several big name companies and even celebrities got in on it. It works, but has at best only achieved about 80% of what it was expected to produce; usually less. The problem is dust from the desert and pollution from Vegas severely compromise its capabilities. The facility needs full time crews cleaning the field to keep the reflectors operating as best as possible. The same is true for solar electric; gotta keep the dirt off the panels.

We have coatings for this now. IIRC, KAUST paid for some people to make it. TiO2 and some other stuff in the anatase form keeps it relatively clean without adding water.

Joey Steel fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Id beat the sun's rear end but the weak mfer is millions of miles away. If I was within arm's reach I'd lay the sun low

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Id beat the sun's rear end but the weak mfer is millions of miles away. If I was within arm's reach I'd lay the sun low

yup. and it's obcviosl;uy scared t oconfront you or it'd have manned up and come for it's beating already. punk rear end bitch

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Joey Steel posted:

Fission comes from dead star guts. Fusion is just replicating the stellar process using magnets instead of mass.

yeah but not from THE sun. like our local star. and thusly i have been lain low as that poster is correct

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Lmfao the sun isn't real you fuickin morans

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Leper Go-getter posted:

Calculators had solar panels back in 1743 (approx.) so why the eff can't $hellphones have them. Like onboard. I know you can buy solar chargers. Nope next phone gotta have better camera hurp durp. Buddy i download all the pictures I want from the internet allright?

Bro don't forget the humble sundial, the first and ultimate solar powered calculator

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
Heck yeah sundials worked great then we had wristwatches that charged simply by having a cheeky tug (or even just idunno walking around) through gyrismos. Now smartwatches? Oh lol uhm they got fastcharge maybe? There used to be no charge man.

Somewhat seriously, now they come out with ultra fission eternal power generating, just like that huh? Now? Maintenance on the old coal power plant and some gas lines sabotaged and now they just HAPPEN to have figured out forever power mmmhm.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I had a professor that worked at Lawrence Livermore in the '60s and '70s. He worked on the early fusion research and materials development. I'm sure its been upgraded and changed since his day, but he described the laser cannons to us.

Imagine a laser cannon the size of your living room; perhaps your whole house. Now take 6 of those and target them onto a single microscopic point. It takes a couple of hours to charge them all up, and even then there will be a huge pull on the local electric grid when fired. They had to fire at 2 AM to avoid causing a blackout. Even then though, it caused brown-outs on occasion.

The achievement in successful fusion is monumental. Its like inventing the wheel, penacillan, TV, walking on the moon, etc. It just takes a poo poo-ton of energy, and would need to be done many times per day to reap the benefits and make it a viable source of power for society. But they did proof of concept. We'll probably not see it in our lifetime, but after 100 years of refining the tech, it'll be one of the new and greatest advancements of human kind.

Also, on the advice of my professor, "You do not want to live anywhere near that lab."

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Internetjack posted:

I had a professor that worked at Lawrence Livermore in the '60s and '70s. He worked on the early fusion research and materials development. I'm sure its been upgraded and changed since his day, but he described the laser cannons to us.

Imagine a laser cannon the size of your living room; perhaps your whole house. Now take 6 of those and target them onto a single microscopic point. It takes a couple of hours to charge them all up, and even then there will be a huge pull on the local electric grid when fired. They had to fire at 2 AM to avoid causing a blackout. Even then though, it caused brown-outs on occasion.

The achievement in successful fusion is monumental. Its like inventing the wheel, penacillan, TV, walking on the moon, etc. It just takes a poo poo-ton of energy, and would need to be done many times per day to reap the benefits and make it a viable source of power for society. But they did proof of concept. We'll probably not see it in our lifetime, but after 100 years of refining the tech, it'll be one of the new and greatest advancements of human kind.

Also, on the advice of my professor, "You do not want to live anywhere near that lab."

I'll just keep using gasoline in my lawnmower thanks

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I just burn my lawn off with a great magnifying lense, solar power ftw

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Colonel Cancer posted:

I just burn my lawn off with gasoline

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i've been watching a few videos about wind and solar power and now i'm starting to get pissed off that these things aren't having all the money thrown at them as fast as possible to completely get rid of fossil fuels except as an emergency resource because all i'm hearing is there's enough wind and solar potential to fill the world's energy needs many times over if we'd get our poo poo together

like a week ago my attitude on climate change was eh, probably gonna be horrendous but what're you gonna do. now it seems like the problem is purely political. i'm probably being just as simplistic on the other side of it now.

is there a good, short book which covers this sort of stuff written in the last few years i could read to get a better idea of what the hold up is and what the potential actually is?

roomtone fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 17, 2022

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

roomtone posted:

i've been watching a few videos about wind and solar power and now i'm starting to get pissed off that these things aren't having all the money thrown at them as fast as possible to completely get rid of fossil fuels except as an emergency resource because all i'm hearing is there's enough wind and solar potential to fill the world's energy needs many times over if we'd get our poo poo together

like a week ago my attitude on climate change was eh, probably gonna be horrendous but what're you gonna do. now it seems like the problem is purely political. i'm probably being just as simplistic on the other side of it now.

is there a good, short book which covers this sort of stuff written in the last few years i could read to get a better idea of what the hold up is and what the potential actually is?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakes_in_Suits

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

drat this thread gives me a great idea to run a hydro turbine from my faucet and GET FREE ELECTRICITY :2bong:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Internetjack posted:

Maybe, though I don't think that has anything to do with the laser fusion stuff. He was probably thinking about the giant piles of plutonium that LLNL had sitting around until pretty recently.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Needs more dogs laying in the sun itt

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Production has been down because it has been very rainy and will be through the week, but that is okay, up to 3 planted trees!!

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nooner posted:

[quote="huh" post="528698052"]

:hmmyes:

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Klyith posted:

Maybe, though I don't think that has anything to do with the laser fusion stuff. He was probably thinking about the giant piles of plutonium that LLNL had sitting around until pretty recently.

Most of that got moved to South Carolina.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
If a Dracula plays Elden ring with power generated from the sun, does the light from the tv burn its skin?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Well duh that's why vampires can't eat veggies. Photosynthesis!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Internetjack posted:

Yeah well even the sun is just simple combustion so BULLSHIT.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Draculas wouldn't play elden ring anyway they are all about retro gaming on some old Sony crt

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Dammit nooner you are right - again!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
NO GAMECUBE HAHAHAHA! :nono: :drac:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I can't wait to see my electric bill next month, holy poo poo~!

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots
the roof on my place is oriented E/W so the only place I could reasonably explore this stuff was my shed, which had space for 4 panels so I've got 1.6KW of capacity out there. I think it maxes out around 1.4KW because it's not a tracking mount or anything.
It's pretty cool but because I'm in the PNW there are days so cloudy that I get 5-10% of the rated output. I put this thing together myself which I don't necessarily recommend to anyone but I have DIY brainworms so I can answer questions about it if you like. I have a battery system that probably tops out around 4.5 KWh stored, I might upgrade it to ~16 but the issue is there's no climate control out there so to ensure acceptable performance I would need to build it an insulated enclosure. If I do that well enough hopefully the charge/discharge cycles generate enough heat to keep it warm anyway but I might have to rig up a little control system with a heating resistor and a fan to keep it >10C and <40C.
My original motivation was to explore offgrid potential out in the sticks, but given the above about cloudy days you need to have a really significant battery system if you're not going to cut back on your electricity usage, which I don't want to do, and especially if you're using electricity for heat.

In conclusion insulate your homes. Good night!

tiaz fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 29, 2022

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im walking on sunshine

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

numberoneposter posted:

im walking on sunshine

im powering my house on it (:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Gotta sun your butthole for at least 10 minutes a day to power up. Get down there and spread them and let those rays right between those cheeks

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I live in an apartment so I can't steal the sun's light from the structure, but the roof is really well oriented for solar. I wrote the township since these complexes are like 30% of the housing structures here.

I did put weather stripping on my drafty rear end window tho.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nooner posted:

im powering my house on it (:

You should use the sun to dry out dog poop so it’s easier to pick up. :haibrower:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

all the energy on earth comes from the sun op. hope that helkps and best regards,

some comes from tidal forces with the moon

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

tiaz posted:

the roof on my place is oriented E/W so the only place I could reasonably explore this stuff was my shed, which had space for 4 panels so I've got 1.6KW of capacity out there. I think it maxes out around 1.4KW because it's not a tracking mount or anything.

Based on the rest of your post, I assume that you've already run the numbers on this, but for anyone else; I've seen people run two strings of PV facing E and W, then tie that into a single inverter.

Someone in the same city as me has 3 or 3.5 KW of production arranged this way, and he produces basically as much as I do with 5 KW facing NE, with the plus side that he makes more of his energy in the critical morning and evening periods and comparatively less in the useless midday period.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

~Coxy posted:

Based on the rest of your post, I assume that you've already run the numbers on this, but for anyone else; I've seen people run two strings of PV facing E and W, then tie that into a single inverter.

Someone in the same city as me has 3 or 3.5 KW of production arranged this way, and he produces basically as much as I do with 5 KW facing NE, with the plus side that he makes more of his energy in the critical morning and evening periods and comparatively less in the useless midday period.

Yeah, but I don't like voluntarily having a 50% of max duty cycle on the panels. If you have a good battery system (or grid tie, which I don't) to average it out, generation at noon isn't wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I live on my sailboat with 1685w (3*lg Neon2 415w panels and 2*noname 220w panels) of solar and 300ah of LiFePo4 storage with a victron 3kwmultiplus inverter/charger. I'm thinking about doubling the storage though.

That's my solar story

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 29, 2022