Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It’s incredibly sick. The screen is the most impressive part. It’s broken wide open with OFPGA now and you can play any number of systems off the SD card with relative ease. One thing missing from the custom cores is you can’t access the fancy display modes that emulate the actual LCD screens, so definitely play some cartridges on it to experience that.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I want something relatively affordable that I can use to play ps1 jrpgs in the comfort of my bed. What one of these handhelds will be best?

Battery life and durability are a plus.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Analogue Pockets are really nice. When I got one I dug through old poo poo in the back of a long-forgotten closet and dug up most of my old GB, GBC, and GBA games, although I can think of a couple that are still MIA. Surprisingly they all worked except Pokémon Crystal—apparently gen 2 used the battery to track the date and time too so I guess their save batteries run out faster than others. Replaced it and Pokémon Blue (save battery still worked but figured I should go ahead so it doesn’t die 30 hours into a new playthrough) and have been playing them again, going back through Blue with the same cartridge I played for 100s of hours nearly 25 years ago is really cool.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

my morning jackass posted:

I want something relatively affordable that I can use to play ps1 jrpgs in the comfort of my bed. What one of these handhelds will be best?

How about a good ol psp?

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

in terms of durability - i feel like i can throw my RG351M through the wall and it'd survive. ergonomics aren't great tho and neither is the LCD resolution. or the price for the performance you get.

imo the retroid pocket 3+ is the best in terms of performance + build quality for the price. it's like a mini switch lite.

but if you're only looking to go up to PS1, you can definitely get something for like $60 that will work great. check out Retro Game Corps, he reviews these things and makes very good setup guides for the more popular ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYvT-AiGaCk

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have a Retroid Pocket 3+ and I like it a lot. Picked it up a few months ago to go on a GBA game binge and it's been great, runs PS1 games just fine

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

my morning jackass posted:

Pretty much anything these days can handle PS1 emulation. It’s a really easy console to emulate

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I also recommended a Retroid Pocket 3+ for PS1 games. Duckstation runs well on it, but you can be waiting up to 8 weeks for delivery. If you can find a Vita or PSP for cheaper, nothing wrong with going that route either.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'm looking for an extra psp if anyone wants to sell me one lol

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I bought a Retroid Pocket 3+ tonight

----------------

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

SpaceAceJase posted:

I bought a Retroid Pocket 3+ tonight

wise decision

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

tmfc posted:

no problem bro, but heads up, if you want to post in my thread any further i would ask that you please remove the weird gif of pluto spreading his rear end hole open from your sig and also the gang tags from your avatar.

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

American McGay posted:

Alright, turning sigs on now.

didnt know your name was sigs

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

American McGay posted:

lol gross wtf

[persuasion] lol gross wtf

Critical failure.

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

lol good rear end thread

----------------

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
My daughter was born today and as my wife's cervix was "ripening" (medical definition) and she was hollerin' I checked my phone between contractions and saw that the shipping notice e-mail saying that my Retroid Pocket 3+ is at my doorstep.

it's been a surreal few hours. two exceptional deliveries in one day

----------------

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

congrats on your retroid pocket 3+

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

trying to jack off posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Congrats on the wife's ripening cervix.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Big fan of my Retroid 3+, this is what I’ve wanted out of gaming for a long time. Found a display mode for SNES Games that looks more like an actual CRT screen than any of the horseshit filters I’ve seen other consoles/emulators have, been playing random fan translated JRPGs I’ve never heard of before and having a blast.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

my 3+ was just delivered too... imp magic

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Where's the best retroid wiki/guides?
I ain't putting my google creds into Chinese Android so I'll probably install .apk files manually

Tell me about your retroid pocket setups

----------------

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

just look up RetroGameCorps

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I don't post here but I got a retro flip coming tomorrow after watching several of that guy's youtubes

----------------

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
okay, but what games are imps playing on their retroid pocket 3+?

had a bit of fun with steam link just now. Haven't moved any other games over but will prob start on the GBA library next.

Never owned a PSP so I'm hankering for some good classics that can't be found anywhere else

----------------

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

any retro games up to and including a good amount of PS2, Dreamcast, and Gamecube

Game Pass cloud gaming

Steam Link

there's also third party PS remote apps since the official one only supports oem PS4/PS5 controllers but i haven't tried them

i'm currently finishing up Soul Blazer even tho i missed the mark for game club.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

spent a good portion of the weekend setting up a anbernic rg300x so it would boot into a lovely old game (Pickle Wars (1994, Redwood)) so my wife could send it to her sister as a jokey birthday present and I kinda want one of these for myself now lol

Jenny Agutter fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 13, 2023

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Talking about Mother 3 has me wanting an emulation handheld... Analogue Pocket looks so nice but is reselling for like $300+ right now. Perhaps a Retroid 3+ for me next paycheck.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

spent a good portion of the weekend setting up a anbernic rg300x so it would boot into a lovely old game (Pickle Wars (1994, Westwood)) so my wife could send it to her sister as a jokey birthday present and I kinda want one of these for myself now lol

it was redwood games, not westwood. please do not trash their legacy like that/trick people into playing picklewars out of morbid curiosity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Poppers posted:

Talking about Mother 3 has me wanting an emulation handheld... Analogue Pocket looks so nice but is reselling for like $300+ right now. Perhaps a Retroid 3+ for me next paycheck.

I bought mine from a reseller for that back when their lead times were like 1yr lol

worth it imo to play my old saves