Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I brought my kids to watch this. They are 8 and 13 and they learned to play D&D over covid year (although we haven't played in awhile since then), and both of them loved the movie, which is an amazing feat cause they agree on nothing, and the 13 turning 14 soon, is in his "I hate everything" phase. We were laughing so much at the fat red dragon. My daughter whispered to me that the dragon was just like our chonky cat in how it moved. They better have a plush fat red dragon I can buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Thumberchaud is fat for a pretty sad reason. A duergar (Underdark dwarf) city used him to light their forges. They overfeed him so that he's easier to kill if he ever gets too powerful. I guess the 'Chaud escaped some time before the movie.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The MSJ posted:

Thumberchaud is fat for a pretty sad reason. A duergar (Underdark dwarf) city used him to light their forges. They overfeed him so that he's easier to kill if he ever gets too powerful. I guess the 'Chaud escaped some time before the movie.

Well couple extra things. Themberchaud also has weight problems because he’s can’t properly exercise, he can’t fly much underground which is the main way dragon’s burn their calories, and his lack of a need to hunt food, cause the duergar feed him means that the most exercise he tends to get is walking around the city once in a while to relight forges. His keepers also always intend to eventually kill him, he is just another in a long line of wyrmsmiths and his replacement’s egg is already prepared.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Also, Duergar are delicious but high in calories. They are like the macadamia nuts of Dwarfs.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I appreciate how part of the villain's motivation was just being so loving fed up with being the only self-serious character that is forced by her mission to constantly have to hang around Hugh Grant and Chris Pine and other similar quippy lovable rogue D&D protagonist jackasses, that was kinda funny

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
This movie was surprisingly good. I was sitting there with a dumb grin on my face from beginning to end. It's been a while since I've wanted to rewatch a movie immediately. The tone and sense of humor really hit for me. Hopefully it does well enough for a sequel.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Bogus Adventure posted:

That sequence is one of the best in the movie, and I hope it encourages D&D to give druids a little more flexibility in wild shape because that is what you'd expect to be able to do.

The unearthed arcana released recently has them have three options "beast of the air, beast of the earth or beast of the sea" each with their own stat blocks, but the shape they take is theatre of the mind and players choice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I recall Druids can burn spell slots to change their current wildshape.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
The other good thing about this movie, is that the kids asked if we can brush off our old D&D characters and resume their adventures.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I might go see this movie again next weekend. It was just such a joy.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

AgentHaiTo posted:

The other good thing about this movie, is that the kids asked if we can brush off our old D&D characters and resume their adventures.

:kimchi:

Big Horse
Jan 16, 2013
Seeing a lot of people say "the bard should do magic" or "the druid can't shapeshift that much between rest" because to me, the movie channels what those classes should feel like. Druids feel like they should shapeshift all the time to fight and solve various problems. But because it's wildly unbalanced in play, they can only do it twice and are otherwise a low-damage spellcaster. Bards are the face of the group, but DnD is too combat-heavy to have an RP role, so they're a jack-of-all trades spellcaster.

I like DnD as a game, but it's funny seeing people treat design concessions as gospel.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

They even had a rules advisor on set, which is why so many of those abilities and spells kind of sync up with what players do in the game:

https://www.polygon.com/23664760/honor-among-thieves-directors-interview-dungeons-and-dragons-dnd-rules

But they'd break it to be cinematic

quote:

“We had an adviser on set who knew all those rules inside and out, and she would lean in and tell us, ‘OK, for this spell, technically you’d have to do this and this,” Goldstein tells Polygon. “So we would try to honor those things in every opportunity we had. But ultimately, the movie had to come first, so if it felt like we were deciding between a rule or a plot point we needed to move the action forward, we would err on the side of plot.”

“The inherent challenge is, how do you depict this in a cinematic way that doesn’t completely alienate non-fans, or people that are not at all familiar with Dungeons & Dragons?” Daley says. “So it was a tightrope walk that we were doing at all times. That seems to be working out, at least for the people we’ve screened it for.”

“We did try very hard to be true to [the rules],” Goldstein says. “The only thing we really went away from was rest periods, because that’s really not fun on screen.”

“But our use of magic, I think, will delight hardcore players,” Daley says. “We really utilize the components, whether they be material or somatic or verbal, in each of our spells. All of the spells are technically accurate.”

And I really think they nailed it. Holga seemed like a player who invested in Tavern Brawler feat based on how she fought, and just seeing her pick up whatever was at hand to completely own her enemies was awesome and what you expect to do as a player when you invest in a feat like that.

It's a good movie, and if rules lawyers are the only ones who hate it then that's an acceptable loss.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's a good movie, and if rules lawyers are the only ones who hate it then that's an acceptable loss.

My fear is more that it just didn't seem to make back the budget, unfortunately. I don't know why, it's a very good movie. Sometimes fantasy films seem to just not click with the market I guess.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Plus the whole point of dnd is that literally every rule can be overruled by your dm

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I don't think you should worry about it making back its budget in a single week. From what I was reading, it was exceeding Paramount's expectations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's made over 80 million so far. I imagine it will keep making a few million each day for a few weeks. That's before other stuff comes in, pretty sure it will profit on itself.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

I watched this as a double feature with the new Mario movie. Went to the cinema to watch Mario (6/10, it was okay nothing amazing) and had some time to kill so randomly picked this dungeons and dragons movie to watch.

I did not know anything about this, and had very low expectations . I remember how awful the previous Dungeons and Dragons movie with Jeremy Irons was from back when I was in college and figured this new one should at least be better than that. I was so pleasantly surprised. This had no right to be as good as it was. I knew this was going to be fun as soon as I saw Hugh Grant riding a getaway horse and buggy in the opening scenes.

You could replace Chris Pine with any of the other Hollywood Chrises and it would still be a great movie. The supporting cast was great.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My fear is more that it just didn't seem to make back the budget, unfortunately. I don't know why, it's a very good movie. Sometimes fantasy films seem to just not click with the market I guess.

I've heard some rumors that Hasbro's treating this as a great big advertising campaign, which may mean that making back the budget is less important.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's made over 80 million so far. I imagine it will keep making a few million each day for a few weeks. That's before other stuff comes in, pretty sure it will profit on itself.

The budget (and I know it's hard to say with films) was 150 million though

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Taear posted:

The budget (and I know it's hard to say with films) was 150 million though

Not including marketing. My understanding was the rule of thumb was movies typically needed to make approximately their base budget in the opening week or two in order to end up turning a profit, due to marketing costs, theater cut, etc.

This is . .
Half that. Which would seem to indicate we probably aren't getting a sequel, or if we are it'll have half the budget. :shrug:. I hope it grows via word of mouth.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mordiceius posted:

I'm excited that people are finally seeing and enjoying this film. I worked on the team that managed the international localization/subtitling for the film, so I got to see it back in January.

Some fun facts about the film:
The Australian version, despite being an English version is considered a "dub" because they had some Australian comedians have a cameo by dubbing the lines for a few of the graveyard corpses.
The French and the Japanese versions each have different end credit songs.
Across all languages, subtitled or dubbed, across all audio mixes, there are roughly 180 versions of the film.

The graveyard scene still makes me giggle, despite having seen it numerous times.

Wait, so it's classified as a dub because Aunty Donna did voice over work in the film?

I thought they did the voice work in the American version too.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Wait, so it's classified as a dub because Aunty Donna did voice over work in the film?

I thought they did the voice work in the American version too.

Aunty Donna doing the corpse voices is an AUS/NZ exclusive.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Still rooting for an Edgar Wright directed sequel that's a Shaun of the Dead style black comedy conga line of adventurers dying one after another trying to clear out the Tomb of Horrors

"...why's it built under a spooky Jack o Lantern face, d'you reckon?"

"It's s'posed to be a skull! Look it's got the teeth and such. It makes sense, built by a lich after all, they love that death imagery."

"Nonono, I get that, but it just looks a bit poo poo, don't it? It's like ten rocks arranged on a hill to kinda look like a smily face. You saw all the frescoes and tapestries and stuff inside the tomb, right? So why's the outside look all chintzy?"

"... I dunno. Guess if they put all the expensive nice stuff on top, everyone would just nick that and not bother with going in the bloody Tomb, right?"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Chris Pine again reasserts himself as the best of the Hollywood Chrises. Hopefully he'll choose to devour Chris Pratt to prevent him from being cast as another iconic cartoon character he has no business playing.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Chris Pine is so good in everything he does, but he really brings his A game in this movie.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Not including marketing. My understanding was the rule of thumb was movies typically needed to make approximately their base budget in the opening week or two in order to end up turning a profit, due to marketing costs, theater cut, etc.

This is . .
Half that. Which would seem to indicate we probably aren't getting a sequel, or if we are it'll have half the budget. :shrug:. I hope it grows via word of mouth.

Yes, but I imagine the movie will profit on itself over the course of the month, as apparently it’s doing better than expected.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Really enjoyed this. It was very fun and had heart. My wife, who has just about zero knowledge of D&D, loved it. I hope this has enough staying power to get a sequel.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Dinosaurs! posted:

Really enjoyed this. It was very fun and had heart. My wife, who has just about zero knowledge of D&D, loved it. I hope this has enough staying power to get a sequel.

We are at the very least getting a TV series spin off. I could see a sequel as well, but that would for sure be father in the future.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Is anyone seeing buckets at theaters?
https://twitter.com/theyaddar/status/1641867023918460929?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A

None of the cinemark near me seem to though that’s where everyone on ebay cites. Some chains in Mexico and indiana got them too apparently

We got the d20 buckets seeing if anyone might be up for a trade

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Really enjoyed this, and it had a really fun vibe all the way through. MVP, obvs Hugh Grant who’s clearly having a ball making this.

Justice Smith’s English accent wasn’t terrible, surprisingly. I’ve definitely heard worse real accents.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Really enjoyed the movie after going in with low expectations. Reminded me of the humor of the first two Mummy movies, and everyone seemed to be having a good time making it. Really appreciated that they went with practical effects for a good amount of things and the CG wasn’t distracting. Also loved the costumes and sets.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Mr E posted:

Really enjoyed the movie after going in with low expectations. Reminded me of the humor of the first two Mummy movies, and everyone seemed to be having a good time making it. Really appreciated that they went with practical effects for a good amount of things and the CG wasn’t distracting. Also loved the costumes and sets.

YES. I didn't think about The Mummy, but that is EXACTLY the vibe.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mordiceius posted:

Aunty Donna doing the corpse voices is an AUS/NZ exclusive.

One of the corpses in the UK version sounded LOADS like Laurence Rickard from Horrible Histories
And I wondered if we got our own version of those corpses and it might have been him? Can't find poo poo anywhere about who it is

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Taear posted:

One of the corpses in the UK version sounded LOADS like Laurence Rickard from Horrible Histories
And I wondered if we got our own version of those corpses and it might have been him? Can't find poo poo anywhere about who it is

Nah. The only English "dub" is Australia. Lots of other full dubs though and pretty much all really drat good. France has their own unique end credit song though. Japan too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/huskyhuskarl/status/1643028744238661632?s=20

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Saw this movie on Friday with my (old) D&D group and it was substantially better than expected.

I appreciate that it just works as a lighthearted fantasy adventure film (and I'm glad they didn't have a scene revealing it was a game), but there were a few points where joking about the assumed "Table narrative" enhanced a scene or smoothed over a prickly development. It's hard to explain but if it had been an explicit part of the movie, I don't think we would have warmed to it, but applying it selectively, "Oh, Xenk's leaving, guess his player's shift changed," was a fun bit of optional audience participation (not in the theater, obviously, but afterwards). We didn't know the fat dragon was an established D&D character at the time, so in the car ride back we were talking about how the DM wanted to throw a dragon at the players but they were too low level so "Oh, uh, it's fat, so it can't fly, and it's slow."

Regarding it as a movie on its own terms, I liked the main cast and how they all slotted into a role. Everyone had something to contribute and nobody felt left behind; Doric was a little flat, but she was still a valued team member. In particular, I liked how Ed was the clear leader despite not being much of an action guy, but instead being more of a supportive team dad. Ignoring his class for a minute, I just found it really refreshing that his main tool set and mode of interacting with people was building them up, easing their worries, coming up with alternate solutions, and so forth. And it's not played for a joke either, it's a core component of the group's success. I could easily imagine another, lesser movie, where the other characters belittle him for being a non-action guy.

I'm considering seeing this movie again, just by myself. It's been awhile since I saw a movie that made me immediately want to rewatch it. The last one was Mad Max: Fury Road.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Thread title has me curious, was the 2000 movie really that bad? It certainly has that reputation, but even the new one doesn't have anything as great as this: https://youtu.be/mwRXE3o9kMI although that "the real heroes are you watching this" intro comes close.

But that's not to say this latest isn't good, it's really fun! The comparisons to GotG had me worried, but it's way better than those. Not quite as good as The Mummy, though I can see the similarities.

I do wish the shots/framing/editing was better during some of the action scenes, the actual fight choreography was (probably) fine but the camera doesn't really capture it well. I blame Peter Jackson's LOTR for setting that trend - I don't need wuxia levels of clarity but it'd be nice for a brawl or swordfight to be somewhat clear in what's happening. The SFX and sets were good, cast is charming, story is fine though there's a couple of odd choices like Forge's 2nd extra heel turn (I suppose he could have been bluffing). But I really only have minor nitpicks, all in all it was delightful!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Yes

But it was a product of its time

Old movie had a British thespian go ham on the villain acting

New movie had a British thespian give exactly 100 no more no less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Blood Boils posted:

Thread title has me curious, was the 2000 movie really that bad? It certainly has that reputation, but even the new one doesn't have anything as great as this: https://youtu.be/mwRXE3o9kMI although that "the real heroes are you watching this" intro comes close.

IMHO, Sofina is far more intimidating a villain by silently staring icy daggers and speaking only when necessary than Jeremy Irons is by snarling while shaking that lovely prop. Sofina owns so hard because she's a stone cold rear end in a top hat who has had it up to her neck with smarmy conmen like Forge and Edgin, and you can see that fury build throughout the film.

I remember seeing the 2000 movie in theaters. I was so excited to see it because I like fantasy and it was Dungeons and Dragons! I walked out of that film a sad and broken person---which I admittedly was before, but far more so after sitting through that turd of a film.