Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
i did THIS in the cockpit and now i cannot maintain an erection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
when i was a kid i got to go into the cockpit and the pilots let me do a barrel roll and george lucas was sitting in the first row working on the script for the phantom menace and as i walked back to my seat i heard him mutter 'say, this gives me an idea...'

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Bad Purchase posted:

you could toil your life away in this mechanical prison someday, child, if you’re lucky

nah it's cool

flying is cool :)

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
For every one of you that got into a cockpit I hope you know there were probably 5 more kids in the plane that didn't get to go and they probably have depression now. I know I do.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

I. M. Gei posted:

There actually was a case where a plane crashed because the pilots let a kid into the cockpit.

IIRC the kid fiddled with some controls and inadvertently turned off a critical safety feature in the process. By the time the pilots realized anything was wrong, it was too late. The last thing the black box recorded was one of the pilots angrily yelling at the kid, telling him the plane was gonna crash and everyone onboard including him was about to die and it was all his fault. :smith:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_593

In their last moment of life, they mustered their strength and blamed the child.

lmao

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Grem posted:

The more goons that post they got to go into cockpits the more angry I get

I think it's important you know I got to do it multiple times as a kid, and even saw the transition from pins on the pilot wings they gave you to sticker backs, so they were reusable at first and wound up lovely and disposable later.
I also remember in the 90's pilots would frequently leave the door open and you could wave or chat. Wonder why that stopped.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
That Wikipedia article is sad but the 'see also' synopses own

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I got to do this when I went through a childhood phase of thinking everything and everyone would kill me. I don't really know why seeing all those buttons and stuff didn't really make me less scared but the pilots were nice to me.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Waste of Breath posted:

crashing the plane, for fun

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Less Is Definitely posted:

This is an awesome story.

yeah that poo poo was wild, I wish I coulda seen my face when we uncovered two boxes of .38 at the bottom, because I saw my brother and dad's lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We just drove. And drove and drove and drove.....

I didn't see a cockpit until I was already a man.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I got to go in cockpits and get wings when I was a kid because my mom's family lived in Honolulu (where she was born) and my dad is a rocket scientist whose main launch site was Barking Sands PMRF, so I lucked out on the airplane, dad's job and family location lottery (the rest of the family is in Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky so it evened out. We drove to those ones :smith:).

edit: I got to go in the cockpit of an L-1011 TriStar once lol

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 23, 2024

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Doctor Dogballs posted:

i also got to go into to cockpit once as a kid lol. plane was still on the ground. this must have been about 1993 or 94.

Doesn't count

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My dad cashed in a huge favor of some kind and got me a ride-along in an F-16 2-seat trainer for my 14th birthday.

If it wasn't illegal, it should have been.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

Waste of Breath posted:

if i were a pilot i'd probably get bored too. i'd bring an xbox

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

isaboo posted:

I remember being allowed into the cockpit for a few minutes when I was around 8 or 9. They gave me a pair of plastic wings to pin on my shirt. That would have been 1979 or 1980, and I was flying alone. Pretty sure it was my first time flying.

I also remember puking up the pancakes they served on the flight.

This is also exactly what I remember from the late '70s. Being able to meet the flight crew and, very briefly, see the cockpit. And get my little gold plastic wings. Kids today don't know what they're missing.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

When I was a kid I would fly alone sometimes and I got to see the cockpit and meet the pilots a couple of times as a treat.

Flights were more expensive back then but they were nicer. Full meals. Free use of blankets, pillows, and playing cards. No TSA bullshit.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

used to be you could smoke just about anywhere in a plane. now they make you do it in the bathroom

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I got to go on the bridge of the Enterprise-D at the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas.

Twice.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

In their last moment of life, they mustered their strength and blamed the child.

lmao

Russkiy mir

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

1986 nerdy as gently caress checking in :smug:

the pilots must have invited you in so they could give you a swirlie.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

the pilots must have invited you in so they could give you a swirlie.

Iuno, you see glasses like that on a kid that old and know you're playing with fire, gotta be 50/50 they track you down and behead you

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

jeffrey dahmer rear end pilot

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Pac and Cheese posted:

don't most kids now not even remember flights cause they're too conked out on benadryl. you take these funny pills and shut up for the whole flight and wake up on the other side of the world

Do parents still do this stuff? I think I was 30 something when I realized it's kind of weird to sedate your kids off-label because you don't want to deal with them.

Then again I always ask if any of my dogs vaccines have expired because I like that she takes naps. But at least she definitely needs every vaccine because she will probably explode like an overstuffed sausage full of parasites and diseases within 24 hours of letting any of them lapse.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Strategic Tea posted:

The TERRIFYING button pilots don't want you to know about! This one mistake will DESTROY the engines in mid air!! If u hear a flight attendant say 7600 a terrorist is on board!!!

Don't give Boeing any ideas. Seattle is one more legalized drug before their next plane has a detachable bridge like the enterprise.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

lockheed martins skunkworks lab has been developing a jack off device that activates when an enemy target is destroyed. it's to train the pilots that killing feels good

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Doctor Dogballs posted:

go take a flying lesson sometime. its pretty cool.

Y'know I've been thinking about doing this for a while and I think it's something I'd like to save up for

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Y'know I've been thinking about doing this for a while and I think it's something I'd like to save up for

I checked it out and was shocked at how expensive it was. I thought I could spend a couple of hundred bucks for a "lesson".

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Internet Old One posted:

Do parents still do this stuff? I think I was 30 something when I realized it's kind of weird to sedate your kids off-label because you don't want to deal with them.

I heard an ad on the radio about six weeks ago that was explicitly for melatonin gummy bears to make your kids fall asleep the "natural" way.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I was 10 the first time I flew and they tried to get me into the cockpit but there was a bunch of turbulence so it never happened.

The next time I flew I wasn't cute anymore so nobody offered. C'est la vie.

edit: I got a little American Airlines pin though. That was sort of neat.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's not during flights but the most hilarious cockpit tour I ever saw was this absolutely hammered 20 something go "oooh can I see the cockpit" during deplaning while her friends tried to stop her. The pilots let her in and she was excitedly telling her friends "seeeee, it's not a big deaaaaaal."

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I have a logbook with records of all of the hundreds of flights I've been on

Sometimes it gets me into the cockpit even as an adult

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

Jestery posted:

what's inside the temple

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

R.L. Stine posted:

what's inside the temple

Took me a second to realise this wasn't a screenshot from aoe2

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

R.L. Stine posted:

what's inside the temple

A gleaming effigy of Ellen DeGeneres' head

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Jestery posted:

So are you aircrew or a frequent flier who just likes to document it?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Took me a second to realise this wasn't a screenshot from aoe2

lol

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

R.L. Stine posted:

what's inside the temple

I'm gesturing at my groin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

So are you aircrew or a frequent flier who just likes to document it?

Father was a pilot and I basically grew up on an Airbus

A lot of formative time spent in planes, and then I'm medically unfit to be a pilot , the universe works mysteriously