Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Hall of famers played good in playoff games and won them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Nah. Plenty of HoFers have 0 postseason glory. I want Jamaal Charles in the Hof

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Simeon Rice should be in the HoF.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

wandler20 posted:

Simeon Rice should be in the HoF.

Thats a name I haven't heard in ages.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Four big dudes and Ochocinco HOF class of 20??

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

players who made a really big name for themselves somehow in spite of not being one of the GOAT and maybe not quite being a hofer based on accomplishments should be in the hall of fame, at least in some special wing that patronizes them

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

chad85 should go there and joe namath should be moved there. rosey grier. and such. thank you

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Eagles have Desean Jackson. Likely he gets in.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Diqnol posted:

Eagles have Desean Jackson. Likely he gets in.

DeSean Jackson is one of the best deep threats ever, but everything else about his career is pretty average for the era he played in:

Jackson had 641 career receptions, currently 75th all time. That puts him in the same area as guys like Randall Cobb, Michael Crabtree, T.Y. Hilton, and Adam Theilen, all of whom he is slightly ahead of, and just behind guys like Bobby Engram, Robert Woods, Amari Cooper, Amani Toomer, and Ricky Proehl. The only Hall of Famers in a similar range are mostly guys who played in the 50s and 60s (Raymond Berry and Charlie Taylor) and/or other positions (TE Ozzie Newsome).

Jackson had 11,236 career receiving yards, which has him currently 39th all time, one spot behind Travis Kelce. He's just ahead of guys like Chad Johnson, Joey Galloway, and Roddy White, and behind other receivers like Keenan McCardell, Rod Smith, and Muhsin Muhammad. There's a few guys in the HoF near him in yardage totals, but they mostly played in different eras with the exception of Calvin Johnson, who retired early and was unquestionably one of the most dominant players ever.

Jackson had 58 career receiving touchdowns, which currently has him tied for 104th all time with Chris Chambers, Marvin Jones, Joe Horn, and two guys I never heard of previously (Gary Garrison, who mostly played for the Chargers in the period after their early AFL success in the early 60s and before Air Coryell developed in the late 70s, and Hugh "Bones" Taylor who played with Washington in the 50s). That puts him just behind guys like Keenan Allen, the aforementioned Amari Cooper and Adam Theilen, and a slew of others, with the only HoF guys nearby being guys from older eras.

Jackson's entire claim is the big play, where he is 4th all time in touchdowns over 40 yards with 39 (Behind three Hall of Famers in Rice, Moss and Owens), 2nd in 50+ yard TDs (34, two behind Rice), and has the most 60+ yard TDs (26, which is 2 more than Rice, but Jackson's includes 4 punt return TDs, where as all 24 of Rice's were receiving). He led the league in yards per reception 4 times, which ties into him being a deadly big play receiver, but that's not a stat most people care about. Jackson only went to 3 Pro Bowls and only earned a single 2nd team All Pro nod. Just for a comparison, since I'm sure someone may think of him, Tyreek Hill is 5th all time in touchdowns over 40 yards with 38 (He has 26 of 50+ and 21 of 60+, those totals including 5 return TDs and 2 rushing). However, he's ahead or close to Jackson in all the above statistical categories (Already ahead in receptions and touchdowns, only about 1100~ receiving yards behind) and crushes Jackson in awards (8 Pro Bowls, 5 All Pro, 2010s All Decade Team, plus a Super Bowl win where he made a huge play). Hill is also still playing and will likely pull further ahead in all those categories.

Jackson is 100% an Eagles Ring of Honor guy and highly deserving there, but not likely a Hall of Famer. Wide receiver is absolutely a position where you normally need longevity and career totals to stand out, or otherwise be absurdly dominant for a (Relatively) short period like Megatron to be considered. Jackson absolutely has his share of highlights, between Miracle at the Meadowlands II, some huge TDs in that game where the Eagles slaughtered Washington on MNF, among others, but the lack of career totals in widely tracked categories will hurt his case. Best case for Jackson is maybe he slips in if they expand the class size, or maybe as a Senior Nominee way, way down the line, but in terms of getting in the normal way, I don't see that happening any time soon, if ever.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 9, 2024

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Matt Ryan

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Henchman of Santa posted:

New York Jets
Locks: Aaron Rodgers (59,055 yards, 475 TDs, 10x Pro Bowl, 4x MVP, All-Decade Team, Super Bowl MVP, 231 career AV), Tyron Smith (8x Pro Bowl, 2x All-Pro, All-Decade Team, 115 career AV)
Exciting young prospects: Sauce Gardner, Garrett Wilson

Sauce is on a first-ballot trajectory. He's on a different tier from Wilson, even.

I'd add Quinnen Williams to the list of exciting young players (maybe) on a HOF trajectory. I think CJ Mosley has probably been good enough for long enough to warrant a maybe, too, though he likely won't get in.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I read, and appreciated, this effort post fartknocker :)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I did too, hes just v famous, was v impactful, and it is called the hall of fame. It sadly makes sense though.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I didn’t realize just how special D-Jax deep play production was! Truly elite in history :)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I read, and appreciated, this effort post fartknocker :)

:tipshat:

It's essentially an updated version of a post I made 5~ years ago in the Clownball Cathedral that is the NFC East thread. Some since banned deranged Eagles fan was insisting Jackson was going to have a revival with Carson Wentz in 2019.

Those of you with good memories, or who watched Amazon's All or Nothing documentary that followed the Eagles that year, may remember that DeSean had two of his signature 50-yard TDs on opening day against Washington, only to hurt himself before the game was over. He would play in two more games, recording a single 5-yard catch, the rest of that season.

Diqnol posted:

I did too, hes just v famous, was v impactful, and it is called the hall of fame. It sadly makes sense though.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I didn’t realize just how special D-Jax deep play production was! Truly elite in history :)

When this has been discussed in the past, all the numbers related to the deep game get focused on the most, such as him leading the league in yards per receptions 4 times, which as far as I can tell looking at the list is also a record, but that's also a stat that doesn't really correspond to being amazing. If you look at the list, post merger the only Hall of Famers who show up are early career James Lofton in Green Bay, playing for a team with a bad defense and opposite John Jefferson, and Bob Hayes, who was literally the fastest man on Earth at one time. A bunch of guys led the NFL in YPR twice, and they're all dudes who were generally "solid" and role players. Remember Devery Henderson as part of the Saints multiheaded receiving corps during the early Sean Payton/Drew Brees years? He did it twice. Ashley Lelie in Denver did it back to back years during the Jake Plummer revival. Flipper Anderson did it twice for the late 80s Rams, Stanley Morgan did it 3 consecutive years for some forgettable late 70s/early 80s Patriots teams. The only other name on that list from the last few decades that stands out is 2nd year Torry Holt as part of the Greatest Show on Turf the year they earned that nickname.

My point with that stat is, while there's a bunch of other names on the list I easily remember (Vincent Jackson, Chris Hogan, Chris Chambers, Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace, Malcom Floyd to pick a few at semi-random), the vast majority are all in the "good guys, maybe even great for a brief period, but not really Hall of Fame type players" and it's not really something that should be automatically viewed as some scale tipping point in his favor. D-Jax did it better than those guys, yes, but even with some all-time highlights in his corner, it's not likely enough to offset the fact that he was incredibly feast or famine as a wide receiver, and the rest of his career numbers are fairly pedestrian.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

fartknocker posted:

My point with that stat is, while there's a bunch of other names on the list I easily remember (Vincent Jackson, Chris Hogan, Chris Chambers, Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace, Malcom Floyd to pick a few at semi-random), the vast majority are all in the "good guys, maybe even great for a brief period, but not really Hall of Fame type players" and it's not really something that should be automatically viewed as some scale tipping point in his favor. D-Jax did it better than those guys, yes, but even with some all-time highlights in his corner, it's not likely enough to offset the fact that he was incredibly feast or famine as a wide receiver, and the rest of his career numbers are fairly pedestrian.

why you gotta pick the best three weapons of the four best weapons Rivers ever had at WR

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
DJax ruled but he's nowhere close to the hall of fame. he was barely ever the best WR in his division

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

a neat cape posted:

why you gotta pick the best three weapons of the four best weapons Rivers ever had at WR

I think of Chris Chambers more as a Dolphins receiver.

Malcom Floyd was cool and fit the role for the Chargers well.

:rip: Vincent Jackson :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
DeSean ain't sniffing it while Torry Holt can't get in