Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's Jose Aldo's next move?
Return to MMA, fight Dominick Cruz
Return to MMA, go join the PFL
Return to boxing, try desperately to fight a Youtuber
Retire and run a chain of Minions-themed hotels
View Results

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

rjmccall posted:

Competitively, sure, it’s hard to argue that that wasn’t going to end that way anyway. But low kicks to the head are illegal for a really good reason, and laundering one through a totally uncontrolled move really shouldn’t be encouraged.

Okay, but here me out, what if it's really cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

lot of empty seats in the arena

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Then you can watch pro wrestling, where they do that poo poo all the time, and behind the scenes they’ve actually practiced the stunt so it’s safe. Win-win!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

coathat posted:

lot of empty seats in the arena

Yeah it's been like that the whole night, I think some of those seats are pretty expensive, upstairs seems packed.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Anthony Smith still strikes like a dude playing tekken for the first time. Just one naked shot after another, either moving or striking but never both, just no fluidity to that man.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

god bless you, light heavyweight

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Can squeeze like a motherfucker I guess.

HAHAHAHAHA listen to the silence.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh poo poo!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
welp

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

CarlCX posted:

god bless you, light heavyweight

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
lmao what a way to lose

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

I really hope this doesn't lead to them matching up Smith with a killer again

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
LMAO BUFFER

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

lol Bruce

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Anthony Smith did not read the script lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:lol: Buffer

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hahaha, Buffer smelling of beer and cigarettes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

Anthony Smith did not read the script lol

Buffer apparently did!

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Fentry posted:

The problem is Smith wants to keep being a guy who matters, and if he wants up the ladder, these are his only potential opponents:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Fentry posted:

Uh lets see, he's fought Oezdemir already, he just fought Rountree, he somewhat recently fought Walker, Krylov seem to have disappeared (good), he already fought Rakic, I guess depending on recovery time maybe Blachowicz will be ready to fight soon? but I don't think they'll make that matchup. Then it's just Hill, Ankalaev and Porchazka and the top, and there's no way they'll give him any of them.

So that leaves people ranked below, Menifield is fighting next week (so maybe, depending on how his fight goes), uh oh, found it.

Bogdan Guskov vs Anthony Smith, coming soon to an apex near you.

or it is gonna be a rematch with Oezdemir

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

lol poor anik.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Crown owns.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The only person at 205 who is ranked higher than Smith, theoretically available and hasn't already fought him is Nikita Krylov, so that's the logical match to make. What they'll actually do, who knows.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

only wouldve been better if he rolled in with the full Freddie Mercury cape alongside the crown and song

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

jose aldo looks like hes 45. jesus christ why are they dragging him out

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Rabid Snake posted:

jose aldo looks like hes 45. jesus christ why are they dragging him out

I'm guessing he hasn't been super smart with his money

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

quote:

There are a number of alternate universes in which I love this fight. It's José Aldo! He's back! The greatest Featherweight of all time is back in mixed martial arts, we should all be celebrating! And then you realize he's 37, and he's fighting one of the best Bantamweights in the company, and he doesn't even really want to be here.

In a rare moment of honesty in the mixed martial arts business, in the lead-up to this event, Aldo very openly discussed the fight happening thanks to the greatest of combat sports traditions: Contractual Obligations. He very publicly retired from MMA two years ago after losing to Merab Dvalishvili and he spent all of 2023 taking boxing fights in an attempt to build his way to one of those rare-yet-present big-money MMA/boxing crossover bouts. But he still has one fight left on his UFC contract, and as long as that's true, any one of those big-money fights is legally problematic--as is, say, potentially angling for a payday from the Professional Fighters League while they still have money to throw around.

So he's back. Which doesn't have to be that bad, honestly. Even if it's a one-off, José Aldo is an absolute legend of the sport and having a one-night-only return in his hometown is a great way to add one more piece to one of MMA's greatest legacies.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
What I have heard is that Aldo has to do this fight to end his contract with the UFC and he wants to box.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fentry posted:

I'm guessing he hasn't been super smart with his money

According to the OP, he's contractually obligated for one more UFC fight (this one) which interferes with his ability to make lucrative deals with other organizations until he has this fight?

Edit: beaten like Vitor Petrino.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

ccubed posted:

What I have heard is that Aldo has to do this fight to end his contract with the UFC and he wants to box.

well that sounds better than forcing him to fight for a living. sounds like he wants to box and hes trying to get it over with which makes me feel better

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Whatever he needs to do to expand his minions bedroom to a full minions mansion

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Martinez is fighting frozen out there.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

CarlCX posted:

Martinez is fighting frozen out there.

i liked the "don't respect him so much!" from his corner

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This Aldo guy... pretty good!

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Martinez looked lost in there about one minute into the fight, but I don't mean that to take away from Jose Aldo still, somehow, looking like Jose Aldo.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

I hope Aldo makes good money boxing but seeing him in a fight with leg kicks banned seems like it's missing a lot of the point

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

UFC keen to flog that cash cow

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pantoja fighting the guy who does his taxes.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Let's go random Aussie guy, hail chaos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Jim Croce as walkout music is a choice